Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I guess it's to be expected after an Apple event, but there are too many low quality, dumb trolls here today.

• Reply 62 of 150
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comprehension View Post

Also, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but as a lay person who is not completely brainwashed by Apple fever, as you seem to be, I'm predicting far more modest sales of the latest Apple devices, except perhaps in markets where their products have not been available previously. Even there, I don't see the masses clamoring for their iDevices as they have in the past. Remember this post, and quote me on it in time if you feel I was incorrect.

So by more modest, what do you speculate the launch weekend will produce? The iPhone 5 first weekend sales were about 5 million.

• Reply 63 of 150

Hey gals & guys,

throughout the entire keynote I had this massive feeling that a 'one more thing ...' was coming up. I was impressed how fast they flew over the features in software (iOS7+free apps) and hardware 5C & 5S. I could not believe it was over when Tim called Costello on the stage...

Still, I like the idea of the 5C to sparkle some color and to replace the iPhone 5. It's going to work great for younger people. And the iPhone 5S is (as iOS7) a great springboard into future updates and products. 64bit kernel? Already?! Whoa, faster than I dared to think about it. 

Looks like a MacBook Air with iOS 8 is just a shy year away. 

All good ... but fast keynote, really really fast, almost hectic when there was nothing else to add in... any thoughts on this?

• Reply 64 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I just saw a video of Touch ID in action, and it seems to work extremely fast.

• Reply 65 of 150
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Samsung and Sony even have one model that's waterproof.

Oh yeah, the waterproof phone whose warranty is void if it is damaged by water. Awesome.
  • Reply 66 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Still, the processor is good. 64 bit is good. And the motion coprocessor looks useful. I'll give them that. But the rest of the phone is a huge disappointment. The fingerprint is a gimmick without NFC. The processor would be good for true multitasking, but for true multitasking you need a bigger screen, so you can have two apps open on the same screen. That's why you need a bigger screen! Which Apple doesn't want to make!

64-bit is "good"? Who else has made the transition from 32 to 64 bit without changing form factor, shortening battery life and requiring developers to jump thru hoops? This might be the most understated processor upgrade in the history of computing.

*true* multitasking? Do you know what multitasking means? IOS has has multitasking from day one. What are you asking for is split screen display of two or more apps. Don't you agree that you need to understand technology before you can criticize it? :)

• Reply 67 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Oh yeah, the waterproof phone whose warranty is void if it is damaged by water. Awesome.

I walked in once with my water-damaged iPhone. Told them what happened and they gave me a replacement. No fuss. No muss.

• Reply 68 of 150
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    :D.Quote:

Originally Posted by georgegiorgio View Post

I understood very well, but compared what the market trend, and competitors are doing, it's really nice new features that I care less about it, doesn't make me wanna jump to pre-order, not like previous generations, here at the office, almost 70 iPhone users have all the same feeling... 

With all those rumor leaked around, sure, I was prepared for the same iPhone 5 form factor, no bigger screen.

Go check out a HTC One, or Samsung S4, the screen looks amazingly gorgeous, very light weight, impressive battery life, and the features are just impressive. Samsung and Sony even have one model that's waterproof.

Can Apple's iPhone do that? No...

So, I'll stick to my iPhone 4S until I see a bigger 4.5" screen, better battery life, and waterproof (my son drools around the phone), and bigger storage capacity, I have a 64GB and can easily fill up with videos from both recording my son, and infant videos to entertain him.

OMG, you are trolling..  Never thought I will use the term as well.

:D

You have just conducted a survey on your group of 70 iPhone using colleagues? Samsung S4 HTC One? Both are in my office and screen looks amazingly shitty (especially on Samsung) with totally, utterly wrong colors, forcing my Fandroid colleague designer to check every colour scheme in iPhone :D...

Battery life? Don't be ridiculous....

You are one of the worst troller ever appear here and you should really try to do something more productive instead. Like buying a handkerchief or a napkin to your son.

• Reply 69 of 150
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    In other news, the NSA can grab data directly off your phone without using Apple's servers, so the fact that the fingerprint information is kept only on your phone might not be as comforting as Apple would like you to think...
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

Hey gals & guys,

throughout the entire keynote I had this massive feeling that a 'one more thing ...' was coming up. I was impressed how fast they flew over the features in software (iOS7+free apps) and hardware 5C & 5S. I could not believe it was over when Tim called Costello on the stage...

Still, I like the idea of the 5C to sparkle some color and to replace the iPhone 5. It's going to work great for younger people. And the iPhone 5S is (as iOS7) a great springboard into future updates and products. 64bit kernel? Already?! Whoa, faster than I dared to think about it. 

Looks like a MacBook Air with iOS 8 is just a shy year away. 

All good ... but fast keynote, really really fast, almost hectic when there was nothing else to add in... any thoughts on this?

Don't think they will ever do "one more thing" again. Reason #1: They want it in the Steve Jobs museum. Reason #2: JK Shin has tainted that phrase by using it in his "Unpacked" presentations.

• Reply 71 of 150

Baffling! If they had demoed the new Touch ID, they could have showed how it works with iCloud Keychain in iOS 7 so you'd never have to remember another password again. 

• Reply 72 of 150
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Comprehension View Post

[snip]

Also, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but as a lay person who is not completely brainwashed by Apple fever, as you seem to be, I'm predicting far more modest sales of the latest Apple devices, except perhaps in markets where their products have not been available previously. Even there, I don't see the masses clamoring for their iDevices as they have in the past. Remember this post, and quote me on it in time if you feel I was incorrect.

well, that's YOUR opinion too. i guess one person's brainwash is another's brain dead.

anyway, for me the fingerprint unlock and PW system is a huge deal. because (1) i really do hate having to punch in codes and PW's all the time, and (2) it will discourage muggers from attacking us on the sidwalks to steal our iPhones - which is a real issue here in SF and other cities. i'd buy the 5S just for that.

anyway, like many i'm on a two year cycle to get a latest iPhone. since i'm paying the full monthly price even if i don't. it's time again, and now there are easy trade in options too. but i will check out an unlocked deal with independent service first this time ...

as to sales, i think iOS 7 is actully the key. if people really like it then new iPhone sales should be huge. if not, then just ok. we'll know in a couple of months, look forward to hearing from you then.

• Reply 73 of 150
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

In other news, the NSA can grab data directly off your phone without using Apple's servers, so the fact that the fingerprint information is kept only on your phone might not be as comforting as Apple would like you to think...

crimeny, the NSA already has my thumbprint ... from my drivers license anyway.

• Reply 74 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think we're getting a clearer picture of what the 5C is. Seems pretty clear Apple wasn't happy with the 4/4S cannibalization of the 5 and so a clear distinction is being made between the products.

The Verge has a hands on video of the 5C. They actually have nice things to say about it, and that it feels better than the plastic Samsung and LG phones.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714074/apple-iphone-5c-hands-on-pictures-video

Oh and the yellow phone they're showing in this video actually looks really nice. I thought I was going to hate the color matched wallpaper but seeing it on video it looks really nice. Much better than the leaked low res photos we saw.
  • Reply 75 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Seriously, a whole year and all they did was double the processing power, greatly improve the camera, add a fingerprint sensor, improve the battery life, add an ultra-low power always-on motion sensor, improve the recording frame rates, add China and other international LTE variants, add some colors, and still manage to release to more countries and carriers faster than ever. Slackers.

ROFL, when you have to say "add some colors" to make it look like they accomplished a lot you know it's a fail.  And sorry, but what does releasing to countries have to do with improving their products and creating new products?  Not that they've done much of the later recently.  

Improved speed and camera...pretty sure this happens every year no?

This is the biggest company in the world by market cap, so yeah, if that's it for essentially a 12 month quiet period it's pretty underwhelming. Hey, it's a great phone dont get me wrong, but is it going to convert people and keep current customers or is this going to keep the status quo? 

• Reply 76 of 150
    Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

throughout the entire keynote I had this massive feeling that a 'one more thing ...' was coming up.

Steve's dead. Not sure why you thought that.

I'm glad it was just the iPhone. No need for Macs at this event.

• Reply 77 of 150
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

What I see is following:

- an upgrade to existing best phone, with funny color scheme to attract younger customers, costing some 100 bucks less than before and still keeping profits on same level. Great combination! It's clear to me ow why it's not cheaper.

- a 64-bit beast with awesome camera, fast authentication feature, very much improved CPU and GPU

These 2 models will sell very good and there is no doubt that there will be many that will buy competitive products. Times have changed and Apple is not alone in the market any more and I see no problem with it. iPhone is for me incomparably superior choice to S4 and HTC One with Android or whatever together and I really don't understand why would anyone else have problem with it. For me it is obvious that people who choose other phones are actually looking about other things and features than I do. Let them.

I am certainly not disappointed with what was presented.

• Reply 78 of 150
    The keynote is on Apple TV now
  • Reply 79 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

"Touch ID can be used for passcodes to unlock the device ..."  

What does this actually mean though?  If TouchID (a fingerprint) can be used to unlock the device, why not say that?  Does this mean you need a fingerprint *and* a passcode to unlock the device?  In conjunction with the picture posted beside the statement this is clear as mud.  

• Reply 80 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve's dead. Not sure why you thought that.

I'm glad it was just the iPhone. No need for Macs at this event.

simply because all the keynote was too fast, almost frenetic and left me with a feeling that they really had to rush to pack everything in that keynote.

Usually there are updates with stats about usage, sales etc. They completely skipped that. By 10.30am they were done with updates, iOS7 AND iPhone 5C ... 40 mins for iPhone 5S and done, pronto. dazzling.