Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    A 15% discount over the high end phone isnt nearly enough to attract a different group of buyers.  Promise of China Mobile deal coming and the stock is still getting hammered because everyone realizes the 5c is going to fail as a lower priced entry.  Bottom line will it drive revenue and EPS growth?  Nope.

"Everyone realizes". Really? Everyone? Perhaps people shouldn't be so quick to make foolish statements like that until after the phone has been on sale for at least a month or two. Besides who says its a lower priced entry? Maybe the $100 difference doesn't seem to be that much to you, but it might be considerable to others. $100 is a fair amount to a lot of people. It could be enough to change people's minds. Apple has more important things to think about that how low they can go.
  • Reply 142 of 150
    haggar wrote: »
    The video said you can use your fingerprint to make iTunes purchases.  The guy in the video also said fingerprints are stored only on the phone's CPU, not iCloud or anywhere else.  If that is the case, how do the systems on the other end know the fingerprint is valid?  For functions other than unlocking the phone, does a fingerprint serve as direct authentication, or does it simply work to unlock an existing password?

Apple has said that the fingerprint itself isn't stored on the phone either. Data about the fingerprint is stored in a locked portion of the chip, something akin to Intel's secure computing module in their x86 chips. What is sent out is an encrypted password like bit of data. I'm not sure if this data is the same every time, or is somehow changed each time. That hasn't been made clear yet.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    melgross wrote: »
    Apple has said that the fingerprint itself isn't stored on the phone either. Data about the fingerprint is stored in a locked portion of the chip, something akin to Intel's secure computing module in their x86 chips. What is sent out is an encrypted password like bit of data. I'm not sure if this data is the same every time, or is somehow changed each time. That hasn't been made clear yet.

But the chip is in the phone, is it not? It's kept in a secure location, and there's probably a complex algorithm that changes the data each time.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    The way I understand it:
    1. TouchID unlocks the device by verifying the scanned fingerprint against a fingerprint profile encrypted and stored in a secure area of the A7 (PRAM or SSD).
    2. Apparently, if you use and pass the fingerprint scan the app requiring access to the iTunes Store retrieves your [securely] stored iTunes Password and sign you directly onto the store -- you don't see the iTunes sign on screen.

I see no reason why Apple couldn't allow 3rd-party sites to be aware that the user has passed the fingerprint scan and follow the same procedure to directly login to their site.

Another consideration would be to have above capability work with BLE or Point-to-Point WiFi so you could do things when the Internet is not available or not needed -- unlock your front door or car, pay for groceries, etc.

Apple is being conservative here in the beginning. If I were them, I would do as they are doing, and tie it to their own systems for some time. That way, they can do the QA and security testing. Once they are certain it would be secure enough, they could parse it to another company if required. For something as delicate as this they need to be as close to 100% certain that nothing will go wrong. We all know that this is going to be pounced on. Already, individuals and security firms have said that as soon as the phone goes on sale they will be doing their hardest to break the security.
  • Reply 145 of 150
    fuzz_ball wrote: »
    What I want to know about the fingerprint censor is did they implement it as an either/or security feature or if it supports 2-factor security: thumbprint + code? If it is Either thumbprint OR Code, then it's a total "meh" cause then all I need to do is fall asleep around my friends and they're in my phone posting crap on my FB as if it were me. I mean I'm sure they have it setup to do print or code, but I will only be excited if I can set it up to be print AND code.

And you are such a heavy sleeper that your friends could take the phone from you, grab your hand, and stick your finger on the button? That's pretty bad. And if you have such stupid friends, I suggest that your problem would be solved by getting an entirely new batch of intelligent friends who respect your privacy.

I did read somewhere that Apple said that you could use both print and pin. Don't know if that's true, or for special purposes.
  • Reply 146 of 150
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    But the chip is in the phone, is it not? It's kept in a secure location, and there's probably a complex algorithm that changes the data each time.

Yes. The chip is part of the Soc, I believe.
  • Reply 147 of 150
    C'mon, 64-bit ARM CPU, M7 chip, true tone flash, better camera with more options, a new iPhone model next to it, etc... people need to quit whining.
  • Reply 148 of 150

Another consideration would be to have above capability work with BLE or Point-to-Point WiFi so you could do things when the Internet is not available or not needed -- unlock your front door or car, pay for groceries, etc.

This exactly is what I'm looking for! :))
  • Reply 149 of 150

Apple’s iPhone with a fingerprint sensor heralds a new era of security on mobile devices, opening up a multibillion dollar market for IDEX

Published on September 12, 2013

Oslo, Norway, 11 September 2013: Hemant Mardia, CEO of IDEX, the Norwegian listed firm (OSE: IDEX) targeting the smartphone and consumer mass markets to supply its unique SmartFinger, is enthusiastic about Apple’s launch of its iPhone 5S which has a touch fingerprint sensor in the home button.

“Apple’s launch of the iPhone 5S with a fingerprint sensor lights the fuse for rapid mass market adoption on a wide range of consumer devices,” said Dr. Mardia. “IDEX has promoted capacitive fingerprint sensing as the optimal biometric security solution, and we are pleased that Apple at the launch stated that ‘fingerprint is the best password’,” he added. “With this solution now on the market and additional secure applications to come, user adoption and market demand will take off, with Android phones to offer similar features. IDEX offers highly cost efficient swipe sensors and forthcoming touch sensors with excellent biometric performance for the mass market.”

Since Apple acquired AuthenTec, a leading provider of capacitive fingerprint sensors, approximately one year ago, IDEX has received great interest from manufacturers in the mobile communications industry, and the company disclosed in the first half of 2013 that it had entered into a partner agreement with a global supplier to the mobile communications market. Recently, the world-class electronics manufacturer World Wide Touch Technology acquired 2.2 per cent of IDEX’s shares.

CTO Ralph W. Bernstein at IDEX commented, “IDEX holds early patents and strong intellectual rights for low-cost capacitive fingerprint sensors and has a unique cross-licence with Apple relating to this technology. Apple’s phone release proves that capacitive fingerprint sensors are the optimal solution.”

“Smartphone vendors other than Apple now holds 86 per cent of the market, and IDEX is one of three principal suppliers to serve that market,” said Kristian Wiermyhr, VP of Strategy and Sales at IDEX, and added, “Our current swipe sensor is available for integration in Android devices and at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier this year we showed a technology concept for embedding a sensor using our patented sensing principle in the mobile phone’s cover glass.”

Follow IDEX on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/idexasa

Follow IDEX on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/idex-asa

www.idex.no

• Reply 150 of 150

So all that the that the ID Thingy can do right now is unlock your iPhone and open your iTunes account.  WOW !!!!  www.getagescan.com Gotta do more than that.  I have about 100+ websites that request a password; the ID Thingy does nothing for those?  Will it ever?