Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 150
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

     

    "Touch ID can be used for passcodes to unlock the device ..."  

     

    What does this actually mean though?  If TouchID (a fingerprint) can be used to unlock the device, why not say that?  Does this mean you need a fingerprint *and* a passcode to unlock the device?  In conjunction with the picture posted beside the statement this is clear as mud.  


     

    Either or...

     

  • Reply 82 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I just saw a video of Touch ID in action, and it seems to work extremely fast.

     


     

    Infuriating.  They *also* fail to actually clearly demo what's going on, or how it actually works.  

    Then they do ten minutes of blah blah about the (slightly) better camera.  

     

    Grrr... 

     

    It's the flagship feature of the new product.  Why isn't Apple providing any information on this?  

  • Reply 83 of 150
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

     

     

    Infuriating.  They *also* fail to actually clearly demo what's going on, or how it actually works.  

    Then they do ten minutes of blah blah about the (slightly) better camera.  

     

    Grrr... 

     

    It's the flagship feature of the new product.  Why isn't Apple providing any information on this?  


     

     

    What are you confused about?

     

    You can EITHER scan your print OR enter a passcode.

     

    The only thing unclear is whether you can require BOTH be entered in settings for double security.

  • Reply 84 of 150
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

    Infuriating.  They *also* fail to actually clearly demo what's going on, or how it actually works.


     

    Ever stop to think that maybe it's not that simple when having to have multiple people demo on the phone at once?

  • Reply 85 of 150
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

     

    12 months for this?  Stock price is going to get crushed.  


     

    Maybe, but only because the stock price is completely removed from reality. What I do know is that the iPhone will sell more than ever, continue to be the best selling phone by a huge margin, and Apple will make even more in profit.

  • Reply 86 of 150

    MacApfel, I heard none of the new features work.

  • Reply 87 of 150
    I can't help to say that I don't feel the magic anymore...still love my Apple products but sure would be nice to get that Tech buzz again...
  • Reply 88 of 150
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

    I can't help to say that I don't feel the magic anymore...still love my Apple products but sure would be nice to get that Tech buzz again...

     

    Maybe read anything at all about the product, then.

  • Reply 89 of 150
    fountain wrote: »
    MacApfel, I heard none of the new features work.

    I think I need to set this right: the new iPhone looks great! And if I had the money I would instantly replace my current iPhone 5. The thing is, as many here said, it would have been really interesting to see this possibly distinctive feature in action. Instead, all they said was 'it gets better with usage'. In the past Apple showed more confidence with feature introductions, touting it as great and demoing this. I would have enjoyed this at today's keynote.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,273moderator
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I just saw a video of Touch ID in action, and it seems to work extremely fast.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXU63NXzg5A&feature=player_embedded

    Nice that they show the setup where it scans multiple parts to get a good scan of the finger. The overall OS runs really fast too. No matter how many core they put into competing phones, they still can't seem to achieve that level of fluidity.

    Interesting comments on that video btw. ;)
  • Reply 91 of 150
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

    Interesting comments on that video btw. image

     

    Seriously, do the Android manufacturers have a warehouse of people in China for posting anti-Apple comments? I refuse to believe humanity is this stupid overall.

  • Reply 92 of 150
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

     

    Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?


    I think this finger print sensor is a very powerful law enforcement device.  Imagine that it will record the finger print of a thief and be turned over to law enforcement upon request by the legitimate owner. 

  • Reply 93 of 150

    "However, early reports suggest that a majority of the event’s attendees were unimpressed by the panicked man, with critics complaining that the creatively bankrupt individual is “largely useless” and a stark departure from the company’s visionary and industry-leading ethos."

     

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-unveils-panicked-ideafree-man-at-launch-even,33814

  • Reply 94 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

     

    Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?


     

    You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone. The same goes for those fingerprint sensors on notebook computers: they fail, they break, they cease to work. That's not good consumer electronics. Things must be useful, and they must continue to work.

     

    I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively—Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it to all of their iDevices, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year, or try to cater to every single customer imaginable. Rather than make something they would actually love to use themselves. 

  • Reply 95 of 150
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

     

     

    You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone.

     

    I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it too all or their iPads and iPhones, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year.


     

     

    I think this sensor will save the user a few seconds each time.  In all it will save iPhone users hundreds of millions of seconds each day.  This is what convenience is about. 

  • Reply 96 of 150
    How will the NSA/law enforcement backdoor work for the fingerprint sensor? And, yes, of course there will be one since the NSA/police/etc would have asked Apple for one well ahead of time.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post



    How will the NSA/law enforcement backdoor work for the fingerprint sensor? And, yes, of course there will be one since the NSA/police/etc would have asked Apple for one well ahead of time.

    I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 

  • Reply 98 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

    I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 

     

    My point is that when law enforcement/three letter agencies want to get into a suspect's iPhone and read their notes/contacts/etc, they're going to want a back door since they already have PIN cracking software.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    tzeshan wrote: »

    I think this sensor will save the user a few seconds each time.  In all it will save iPhone users hundreds of millions of seconds each day.  This is what convenience is about. 

    That would be truly amazing since a day only has 86, 400 seconds.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

     

    I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 


     




    My point is that when law enforcement/three letter agencies want to get into a suspect's iPhone and read their notes/contacts/etc, they're going to want a back door since they already have PIN cracking software.

     

    I think in most cases law enforcement agency will have the suspect in custody in addition to the phone.

Sign In or Register to comment.