Android overtakes Apple's iPad in tablet marketshare, approaches in revenue earned

Comments

• Reply 21 of 204
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Well... There are also reliability factors. They can try to shoot for higher specs in small quantity, but they can't really scale the operation (too high failure rate). I have seen friends who bought Android tablets fail after a short time. Don't just look at bullet points.
  • Reply 22 of 204
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    akqies wrote: »
    In no way does either Amazon nor Asus do what Apple does in terms of quality, volume, and profit so you can't make up some stupid comparison about some break-even tablet like the Fire HD that ships with a highly inferior display that is only good on resolution and low on volume.

Hmm...do you have some more information on the new Kindle Fires and their inferior displays? What exactly makes them inferior to the iPad mini display?
  • Reply 23 of 204
    mike54 wrote: »
    Maybe the main reason is that iOS is dependant on pixel size for the apps which requires developer work, whereas Android can auto-scale up to a higher res/bigger screen? 

Looking at the state of the Android tablet apps it's clear neither developers not development works on Android.
  • Reply 24 of 204
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mike54 wrote: »
    Maybe the main reason is that iOS is dependant on pixel size for the apps which requires developer work, whereas Android can auto-scale up to a higher res/bigger screen? 
    I thought iOS 7 was resolution independent? Is that not the case?
  • Reply 25 of 204
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    frood wrote: »
    bondm16 wrote: »

Want to elaborate?

The common AppleInsider consensus is that Android devices don't actually exist or sell.  Samsung makes a bunch of them and ships them out to sea, and apparently sinks them in a secret location.  Apple builds the only electronics products that people actually buy.
    The shipped vs sold arguments are usually followed up by questioning the validity of the source and concluding they are 'a bunch of idiots' followed by browsing usage and 'mindshare' arguments.  Just trying to condense every thread related to Android sales into one paragraph :p

It does stem from reality. HP claimed to have ship 1 million tablets and then some 80% of them were returned. In the real world you will see 10 - 15 iPads for every tablet of another kind you see. You do see some fires. The only other tablet you will regularly see in the wild is a surface/surface pro. Since the sell through on those was dismal, where in the hell are all of these Android tablets? These numbers obviously include the Fire which is just absurd. I imagine they must be popular in Asia because it could take you a week to find someone using one in public in a US or European city.
  • Reply 26 of 204
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...do you have some more information on the new Kindle Fires and their inferior displays? What exactly makes them inferior to the iPad mini display?

Anecdotal but yes, a few of my friends who bought Kindle switched back to iOS because their Kindles died after a year. Build quality was ok-ish. It's not just about the display. They can use Kindle app on iPad anyway.

In fact, if they can sell the current iPad mini at a lower price, I'd say go for it. Not everyone needs a retina display.
  • Reply 27 of 204

Don't be an idiot. We're comparing the current Kindle Fire HD and current iPad because those are the only devices that are out. I guess Amazon could decide to pay extra for color accurate displays and other component features that cost them money without easily generating revenue because you can't work it into a spec sheet but they have zero history of doing that and have so far been content to feed at the bottom with the Google Nexus. Apple has yet to do this so any claim you make about Apple reducing quality and making a break-end tablet is as believable as the unicorn shit you appear to be shoveling.
  • Reply 28 of 204
    And there are still delusional people who think Apple is just fine releasing a 2nd gen mini without retina display. :no:

Like that's going to stop the $49 white box Android tablet market...
  • Reply 29 of 204
    This is lot like saying sales of non-Harry Potter books have finally overtaken sales of Harry Potter books.

1. What took them so long?
    2. Harry Potter is doomed
  • Reply 30 of 204
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    akqies wrote: »
    ALL vendors selling a tablet-like device are approaching the revenue from a single vendor. It's about füçking time, but it's still a pointless measure without a notion of profitability or use.

They also keep calling it marketshare, which people think means total shipped units but it's the percentage of sales in a single quarter. The iPad web usage share is listed as still being over 80%:

http://tabtimes.com/resources/the-state-of-the-tablet-market

They aren't distinguishing what screen size they stop at either. The next highest tablet manufacturer is Samsung with just over half Apple's sales and Apple still outsells the next top 5 Android device manufacturers combined:

The mystery category of "other" rears its head again to take the bulk of the rest of the units whoever they happen to be. That has to be split between at least another 12 manufacturers and some of them will run Windows 8. This means as you say that it has taken this long for at least 16 manufacturers' combined units to surpass Apple after 3 years.

This isn't a race between Apple and Android, it's between Apple and Samsung. Android is an irrelevant component here. If Samsung had a different OS, they'd most likely sell the same number of units.
  • Reply 31 of 204
    Welcome to Whose Market Is It Anyway?, where everything is made up and real sales don't matter.
  • Reply 32 of 204
    I'm waiting for the retina mini myself. I wonder if Apple will ever add a USB port to their iPad line. It would sure open it up to be a lot more useful.
  • Reply 33 of 204
    Heard that iPad Mini Retina will come out with an A7X chip inside. Better happen!
  • Reply 34 of 204
    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

I'm waiting for the retina mini myself. I wonder if Apple will ever add a USB port to their iPad line. It would sure open it up to be a lot more useful.

This is the best you can do? Samsung, pay for more intelligent writers, at least. This FUDge wouldn’t win a county bake-off.

• Reply 35 of 204
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Yeah, I'm sure there a lot of people that only have $100 to spend on an Android tablet that don't spend any money and those tablets don't make any profit to speak of. Again, the Android platform is full of too many cheap knock offs being sold in 3rd world countries to give the illusion that's a more desirable platform, when if these people had more money to spend they would buy an iPad. Apple doesn't want to lower their profit margins in trade of market share. They aren't a company that tries to buy market share. If they did, then they would be making plastic products with the cheapest grade components they could get their hands on, dropping the price to nothing and not making decent profit margins.

Market share doesn't pay bills or increase the company's wealth, profit margins do.

Look at ASUS. They sold $ 375,118,873,000 for 2012. They sell products and motherboards under their own name and they sell products to other companies as private label.

Their NET profits for 2012 on that $375Billion was only $22Billion. That's about 6% Net Profits. If Tim Cook or anyone else was only making Net Profits of 6% after tax profit, they would be out on their rear ends in a microsecond. Apple did $156.5Billion in 2012 with Net Profits of $41.7 Billion. Which company would you put more credibility as to how to run a company? One that makes only 6% on revenues, or another that brings in twice as much money on half as much sales? I don't know how these PC/Android mfg can make any money and these CEO's keep their jobs.
  • Reply 36 of 204
    lawrance wrote: »

Should use wireless storage. Even USB is going wireless.
  • Reply 37 of 204
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I haven't seen too many Android tabs in public.

For a long time I hadn't seen too many. Now I see almost as many Android Tabs as iPads.

• Reply 38 of 204
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple did the same concept with their iPads as they did with their iPhones.  Take the top end model, drop the price make a couple of enhancements and encase it in poly carb and offer colors and then release another top end model in it's place with a updated processor, etc.

That would certainly make sense to do that.

• Reply 39 of 204
    lawrance wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple will ever add a USB port to their iPad line. It would sure open it up to be a lot more useful.

How? There is USB on the iPad, iPhone and nearly all iPods ever sold but just because it has the ability to plug into USB doesn't mean it will have access to what you want it to do, which I assume would be the ability to plug in an external HDD and mouse. They would still need to add the software functionality which just isn't going to happen as it makes no sense.
  • Reply 40 of 204
    For a long time I hadn't seen too many. Now I see almost as many Android Tabs as iPads.

Yes I have seen more too, depending on the region. But iPad still prevails. Have seen increased Android device occurrence in LA, but New York is overwhelmingly iOS world. I can't believe Apple Store Fifth Avenue. It's like Apple is giving out free food. The crowd is crazy even on regular no-launch days.

Asia is more Android heavy too for price reason. But Apple is just starting to focus on major markets in Asia, so we shall see.

My sense is the pie is still growing, so percentage doesn't really tell the full picture. Specially not just with sell-in numbers.

Edit:
    The press and analysts should try to learn more tricks rather than mindlessly reporting on leaks, their own made-up Apple vision, and solely sell-in numbers. There should be a lot of depth to explore or uncover behind the scene.

In lieu of what I mentioned in the previous page, it is interesting to see Samsung hide their numbers publicly.