Android overtakes Apple's iPad in tablet marketshare, approaches in revenue earned

Comments

• Reply 81 of 204
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Perhaps. After all, a polished turd is really no better than a plain one.
    Have you used it?
  • Reply 82 of 204
    mstone wrote: »
    iOS 7 has been out only one week. There may be surveys but the long term adoption or lack there of will not be evident for a year or so as carrier contracts expire. Down grading to iOS 6 is not an option. If you don't like it you are stuck until you can get out of your contract.

And BYW there was a huge revolt concerning 10.0. It was terrible and nothing worked but fortunately they made classic available to help with the transition. Eventually it was improved and I hope the same can be said for iOS 7+

10.0 wasn't meant for general consumption. Jobs even said so. That said the color scheme of OS X didn't scare people away.

Oh and the vast majority of things work on iOS 7.

You don't think Apple will constantly improve iOS 7? There is no "hope" for that. It's damn guaranteed.
  • Reply 83 of 204
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

According to IHS estimates the 16 GB memory in iPhone 5S costs Apple $10.  The 32 GB costs $20.  64 GB $30.  But Apple adds $100 for a 32 GB iPhone 5S and $200 for 64 GB.  The profit margin for the memory is much higher than the iPhone as a whole.  I believe there is high desire for iPhone/iPad users to go for larger memory.  This desire is being suppressed by the unnecessary cost to upgrade.  I think Apple is losing good will to its users because of this price difference.  And this is costing Apple sales.  I think Apple should add $50 and $100 to the memory upgrades in the coming new iPads.  Apple will still get 80% profit margin for 32 GB and 64 GB.  This will immediately made the iPads very competitive wrt Android tablets without any significant new hardware. And the Android manufacturers will find very difficult to match Apple.  

• Reply 84 of 204
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Maybe your personal view is not in harmony with the majority of everyone else's. Everyone I know loves iOS7. There, I have anecdote evidence too.

In the same vein, I could speculate how many people Apple would lose because of the stale iOS 6 had they kept the look.

Also, if Apple had released a new phone without a new OS, they'd have been skewered.
    Tim Cook took a risk. I applaud him for being bold and doing it. I have a feeling all the hysterics around iOS 7 will die down in a month or two. By then it will be old news and the media will have something else to write about.
  • Reply 85 of 204
    tzeshan wrote: »
    According to IHS estimates the 16 GB memory in iPhone 5S costs Apple $10.  The 32 GB costs $20.  64 GB $30.  But Apple adds $100 for a 32 GB iPhone 5S and $200 for 64 GB.  The profit margin for the memory is much higher than the iPhone as a whole.  I believe there is high desire for iPhone/iPad users to go for larger memory.  This desire is being suppressed by the unnecessary cost to upgrade.  I think Apple is losing good will to its users because of this price difference.  And this is costing Apple sales.  I think Apple should add $50 and $100 to the memory upgrades in the coming new iPads.  Apple will still get 80% profit margin for 32 GB and 64 GB.  This will immediately made the iPads very competitive wrt Android tablets without any significant new hardware. And the Android manufacturers will find very difficult to match Apple.  

Apple sold 9 MM iPhones in a weekend. How is this costing them sales?

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't need your advice. Android is already having difficulties matching Apple. Who else is making money in tablets?
  • Reply 86 of 204
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I call BS.

The cheapest Apple tablet is $329. There are millions of Android tablets selling for under $100 and few over $329, much less the $500 or more of most iPads. There's no way in the world that the average selling price for Android tablets is even close to the average for iPads.

But what do you expect from someone called the "Media Tablets, Ultrabooks and eReaders Research Service"?

I don't get that either.  

The Surface tablets are pricey, but I wouldn't have thought they made much of an impact with their volumes.

Perhaps a lot of folks are buying the Android units with 32GB of memory or even LTE support?  I know the Nexus 7 with 32GB seems to sell well.

• Reply 87 of 204
    An A7 based retina mini with touch ID will dominate holiday sales, and number two will be the full size iPad.
  • Reply 88 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple sold 9 MM iPhones in a weekend. How is this costing them sales?

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't need your advice. Android is already having difficulties matching Apple. Who else is making money in tablets?

I was using iPhone 5S as example.  But my point is directed to iPad.  I believe more memory is more useful to iPad.  

• Reply 89 of 204
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Really? My wife and I are way past that age range and love iOS 7. Maybe you need some of those special vitamin tablets. image

Well i have anecdotal evidence too. I upgraded my iPad 3 and the wife upgraded her iPhone 5 and neither of us like the new interface design.

• Reply 90 of 204
    For a long time I hadn't seen too many. Now I
    see almost as many Android Tabs as iPads.

i still have to see someone with another tablet other than a ipad.. maybe it all depends where you live?
  • Reply 91 of 204
    mstone wrote: »
    Well i have anecdotal evidence too. I upgraded my iPad 3 and the wife upgraded her iPhone 5 and neither of us like the new interface design.

Fact: people hate change but after a while many come to embrace it.
  • Reply 92 of 204
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm talking about the new Kindle tablets and the 2nd gen Nexus, not cheap POS devices for China.

So what percentage of the market do these devices have?

1%, 2%, 5%, more???
  • Reply 93 of 204

I don't think anyone is saying that Apple is doomed. But this follows the trend in smartphones, where Apple is losing their dominant marketshare. I think it is relevant not to the different Android manufacturers, but to the two platforms as a whole: which platform/ecosystem will be dominant, Apple's or Androids? I'd like to hear your opinion on what consequences are if Android is the dominant platform. Will the developers bring their A game to it? Will they develop for Android first and Apple second? (and Windows third?). 

• Reply 94 of 204
    Yeah, anecdotally most older people I know don't like iOS7. My parents and their mates.

People I know don't seem to mind the new look, but I am the resident iFan and I rave about it as I love it.

I think it will be like a Facebook layout/privacy change. It will be all everyone talks about for a while and then all of a sudden no one even notices it.
  • Reply 95 of 204
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Train impressions. If its steam, don't forget the chuff chuff sound.

See patsu's reply if you still don't understand.
  • Reply 96 of 204
    rogifan wrote: »
    How is it that Amazon and Asus don't seem to have a problem shipping tablets with retina like (or better than retina) displays? The 2nd gen Nexus is not a thick and heavy piece of garbage with terrible battery life. It's very similar in weight to iPad mini and according to AnandTech gets about 12 hours battery life. There's no excuse for the 2nd gen mini not to have retina. And if someone throws out the term "margins" then I ask the question, is Apple a product company or a profit margin company?

IMO no retina mini this year is basically Apple handing the tablet space to the competition on a silver platter. Sorry but paying a "premium" for the iOS ecosystem and Apple customer support won't be enough. The products need to be better. And with a retina mini Apple would basically own the tablet market again.

Have you tried using an iPad mini?

There is no difference and you can't see the pixel as Sammy claimed.

I gave it up and went back to the regular iPad because it rendered all web text in small fonts.

It is the sum and not parts which makes the iPad mini a great product but if you want specs buy an android.
  • Reply 97 of 204
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I call BS.

The cheapest Apple tablet is $329. There are millions of Android tablets selling for under $100 and few over $329, much less the $500 or more of most iPads. There's no way in the world that the average selling price for Android tablets is even close to the average for iPads.

But what do you expect from someone called the "Media Tablets, Ultrabooks and eReaders Research Service"?

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 and 10 are not selling cheaper than iPad and iPad mini.  Samsung sells them very well through Costco.  

• Reply 98 of 204
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

The common AppleInsider consensus is that Android devices don't actually exist or sell.  Samsung makes a bunch of them and ships them out to sea, and apparently sinks them in a secret location.  Apple builds the only electronics products that people actually buy.

The shipped vs sold arguments are usually followed up by questioning the validity of the source and concluding they are 'a bunch of idiots' followed by browsing usage and 'mindshare' arguments.  Just trying to condense every thread related to Android sales into one paragraph :p

Sure they're selling. They just aren't making money. When you scrape the bottom of the barrel, there are no profits.

• Reply 99 of 204

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Want to elaborate?

He means that Android tablets are all about quantity, where as iPads are about quality. Sell a tablet worth $100, you will undoubtedly gain an amazing market. But what's missing from that market is an amazing product that acutally works - that is what iPad is.

• Reply 100 of 204
    dillio wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying that Apple is doomed. But this follows the trend in smartphones, where Apple is losing their dominant marketshare. I think it is relevant not to the different Android manufacturers, but to the two platforms as a whole: which platform/ecosystem will be dominant, Apple's or Androids? I'd like to hear your opinion on what consequences are if Android is the dominant platform. Will the developers bring their A game to it? Will they develop for Android first and Apple second? (and Windows third?). 

Outside of maybe a qtr or two, Apple has rarely been dominant in smartphone market share. Most devs still develop for iPhone first even though Android is #1 in shipments. Devs also make more money on iOS.