Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says

Comments

• Reply 101 of 185
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    The first and only 5c I've knowingly seen in the wild was green. And the guy who went and bought a 5c for me to use as a dev phone chose green. It actually looks quite nice in real life. I was not sure about the 5c colors when I first saw them but in real life they look better.
  • Reply 102 of 185
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The actual price is not the subsidised American price.

I'm just talking about the US...I could careless about the rest of the world...Sorry to break your heart.

• Reply 103 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yes... two week's worth.

The same two weeks that were used to base my opinions.

... and, the same two weeks that were used to base your opinions.

But carriers would have access to its own numbers. Analysts make it up as they go along.
  • Reply 104 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The previous gen phones became mid-tier, and the generation before that became the bottom tier "free" phone.

The only difference is that they mounted the mid-tiered iPhone 5 inside colored plastic cases, and added a "c" to the name.

... and they are advertising the crap out of it.

Very good.

You've shown that you know it is 'different'. It does not 'look' like the 5 in any way. It is not being handled the same.

Hence... a different strategy.

• Reply 105 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But carriers would have access to its own numbers. Analysts make it up as they go along.

I don't remember saying anything at all about analysts.

• Reply 106 of 185
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

11.4 mil. in 10 days.

10.4 mil. in 92 days.

Yep. Okay. Sure. Uh hu.

I think he is figuring that a significant percentage of those 11.4 mil are still in the third-party retail channel, and that these will be (re)sold to end customers and then replaced by a fraction of the 10.4 million more throughout the next quarter (again including some channel inventory at the end of the holiday Q).

Not saying I agree, mind you, but phrased that way doesn't make him look quite as much of a dunce as your interpretation.

• Reply 107 of 185
    This insider business is for the birds. He's an analyst whose guess is as good as any other analyst. Pick a straw. Lucky guess. I don't believe anyone EVER knows Apple's "inside" business, period.

I'm SICK and TIRED of the years of maligning Apple, the expectations of Apple and the manipulation of Apple stock.

Analysts should know by now they are a JOKE.
  • Reply 108 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Correlation always equals causation?

Nope. That was speculation. Hence the "I think". Unlike analysts (and many commentators here) I don't claim my speculations to be the absolute truth. Just informed guesses.

• Reply 109 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I have a iPhone 4 running ios7. My wife has a iPhone 4 still on ios6. Mine runs fine, can't figure out what your problem is, maybe you need to clear some apps to free up some memory.

Agreed. My iPhone 4 seems to be running much faster with iOS7 than iOS6 (the speed increase probably has more to do with the fact that it is a reinstall, but still, it is noticeable).

• Reply 110 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Again the 5C isn't for us. It's for android/WinMob/BBRY/feature phone refugees and those who don't need the latest and greatest.

do you know what the unsubsidized price of the 5C is? If you consider that to be attractive to price-conscious buyers who are not already in Apple's ecosystem, you're very very wrong.

• Reply 111 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkse View Post

I'm not surprised. The colours are ghastly. Simply awful. Who'd want to be seen with a 5C at their ear or in their hand? It looks like a toy. Pink, light blue, _almost_ neon green? Not a chance. I suspect the white version would be the best selling of the bunch.

Who?

- My daughter wants the pink one for Xmas.

- My other daughter wants the blue one.  

Not a chance?

The color selling out the most so far has been yellow (not white) although we don't know how many of each were made.

Different strokes, right?  There are a lot of folks out there that are different from each of us.  Beware extrapolating your own preferences.

Thompson

• Reply 112 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I think you'll see the 'c' prominently displayed with '$50-$100' off sales during the holidays.   And we haven't seen China Mobile come online yet.   I do think that's the market this was targeted for.

Geoff, I'll grant you that with its 750 million odd customers, Apple is going to increase sales in China when they finally do a deal with China Mobile.  However, I don't think the 5c is a good fit for the Chinese market and in particular I think it's a bad fit for China Mobile.

China Mobile serves all the rural areas, where you're much more likely to see a $50 to $100 Coolpad, than a $725 phone (although I gather the pricing on the grey market is now down to $500 range).    

In the urban centres, the Porsche/Mercedes/Lamborghini crowd are not likely to buy the lower end 5C; they'll buy a Note 3 or a gold 5S and make sure they're seen with it (and the wife/girlfriend will have one in her Louis Vuitton bag)!   

Unless the wealthy kids find the 5c desirable, I just can't see a lot of people buying them.  

On the the other hand, the gold 5s is ideal for the Chinese market; too bad they couldn't have added a red or red/gold one too.

• Reply 113 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post

do you know what the unsubsidized price of the 5C is? If you consider that to be attractive to price-conscious buyers who are not already in Apple's ecosystem, you're very very wrong.

There are a lot of people who will gladly purchase it on contract (subsidized) to save a $100.  These people don't need the latest and greatest, and they're also the type of people that would be more likely to take their time and purchase a few as Xmas gifts for kids as opposed to having to rush right out on the first month of launch.

This is going to play out slowly.

• Reply 114 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Ha. Then who keeps buying the 4S and 4 over the last year and the 4 and 3GS during the year before that? Surely Apple fans aren't buying all 3 iPhone models during the same year.
  • Reply 115 of 185
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    What I've learn in my experience in graphic design, marketing and logo design, never use a letter to help brand your product. When you let people guess what the letter means, they will usually think the worst. "Cheap".
    So I guess in your world then the S in the 4S and 5S stands for shitty?
  • Reply 116 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Geoff, I'll grant you that with its 750 million odd customers, Apple is going to increase sales in China when they finally do a deal with China Mobile.  However, I don't think the 5c is a good fit for the Chinese market and in particular I think it's a bad fit for China Mobile.

China Mobile serves all the rural areas, where you're much more likely to see a $50 to $100 Coolpad, than a $725 phone (although I gather the pricing on the grey market is now down to $500 range).    

In the urban centres, the Porsche/Mercedes/Lamborghini crowd are not likely to buy the lower end 5C; they'll buy a Note 3 or a gold 5S and make sure they're seen with it (and the wife/girlfriend will have one in her Louis Vuitton bag)!   

Unless the wealthy kids find the 5c desirable, I just can't see a lot of people buying them.  

On the the other hand, the gold 5s is ideal for the Chinese market; too bad they couldn't have added a red or red/gold one too.

China Mobile is probably going to subsidize.  I know its unprecedented for that company, but the other Chinese carriers decided to subsidize iPhones, and this has most likely been one of Apple's "non-negotiable" requirements of the deal.

Thompson

• Reply 117 of 185
    dillio wrote: »
    So I guess if you see a big breaking news story you completely disregard it until all the reports are confirmed? 

Only Apple knows how many 5C's were pushed into the channel and how many actually sold. Whatever anyone else reports is pure speculation. Lets see what Apple has to say on its conference call. No they won't give sales figures but they will give color around it and margins and ASPs will give us an indication on which model is selling better.
  • Reply 118 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I think he is figuring that a significant percentage of those 11.4 mil are still in the third-party retail channel, and that these will be (re)sold to end customers and then replaced by a fraction of the 10.4 million more throughout the next quarter (again including some channel inventory at the end of the holiday Q).

Not saying I agree, mind you, but phrased that way doesn't make him look quite as much of a dunce as your interpretation.

Yes... JamesMac alerted me to this as well.

Thank you.

[ 21.8 million units into the channel over 102 days. ]

• Reply 119 of 185
    Because the 5C is being discounted by many retailers?

See, e.g., http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/walmart-drops-price-phone-5c-45-best-buys/story?id=20474818
    Wal Mart disounted it during pre sale. I don't think that means anything. If Best Buy discounts it than others will follow because they want you to buy it from them. Of course it's possible they're not selling as well as Apple had expected. But it's also possible they are meeting internal expectations and these analyst estimates are way off. We'll know more in a couple weeks.
  • Reply 120 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wal Mart disounted it during pre sale. I don't think that means anything. If Best Buy discounts it than others will follow because they want you to buy it from them. Of course it's possible they're not selling as well as Apple had expected. But it's also possible they are meeting internal expectations and these analyst estimates are way off. We'll know more in a couple weeks.

I'm waiting for the numbers from the big 4 at the end of October.