Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says

Comments

• Reply 141 of 185
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

The Price cut was because Retailers will have to get one 5c for every two 5s they order. Hence why the 9 Million is more like a 70/30 split. 

Like any iPhone release, the latest iPhone 5s is selling like hotcakes, but the steady stream of 5c buying isn't keeping up with the pace of rapid 5s sold. That means with excess stock of 5c they will have to cut price to lower their stock level. 

And since the demand of latest iPhone will, as usually do last all the way till past Christmas, there will be a continuation of over supply in 5c.

• Reply 142 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For everyone complaining about 5C colors...

What's your point?

• Reply 143 of 185
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Strange. I have it installed on an iPhone 4 that I am currently using. I love it. For the most part, I have not noticed what you are talking about. 

You're not the only one to say that, which makes me think I got a lemon iP4 from Apple.

Over the winter I paid the $170 to replace my smashed screen iP4 with a refurb. One of the volume buttons on the replacement collapsed into the chassis after only a few weeks so they gave me another one. At the time I thought it was hesitating and lagging, but convinced myself that I was being paranoid. Now, based on my experience with iOS7 compared to what others are reporting, I think I was right, that there IS something wrong with this phone, but of course the 90 day warranty is over now.

I don't wanna buy a new phone before next year when we'll finally know for sure whether or not we're getting a bigger screen version but I can't live with this. I'd be happy if Apple stepped up since it's obviously a defect, but since the paltry 3 month warranty is expired I don't imagine that's likely.

• Reply 144 of 185

For everyone complaining about 5C colors...

I’ve felt that material. That is a bad material.

• Reply 145 of 185

I think iphone 5 was a comparatively poorer release. Iphone 5s now gets it back on track.

• Reply 146 of 185

My wife upgraded from the 4 to the 5C and loves it. I have a 5, and I actually like the feel of her 5C more - it actually feels much sturdier and more comfortable in my hand. I'm just glad I'm on the big-release cycle and will get the iPhone 6 when it comes out. I just hope Apple doesn't go with a ridiculous giant screen for its premier product. My friend has a Note 2 and that thing just looks like clown feet.

• Reply 147 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddblah View Post

I think iphone 5 was a comparatively poorer release. Iphone 5s now gets it back on track.

What? The iPhone 5 is a fantastic phone and a huge upgrade from the 4s.

• Reply 148 of 185
    leighrleighr Posts: 256member
    In Australia, at least, it really comes down to price. The 5C handset sells at stores for $728 without a contract (16gb) and on a contract it sells for on $5 - $8 less than an iPhone 5S on the same contract. So whereas a 5S might be $72 per month over 24 months on a moderate contract, the 5C is $67 per month for the same contract - $5 difference per month. That's not enough to differentiate the models.

I actually quite like the 5C handset, and think it will eventually do well, but only when the price differential is sorted out. The 5S needs to be $0 upfront, on the same plans which are being offered with the 4S, which are currently about $15 less per month than the 5C.

It's important that this happens soon, before a flood of brightly coloured, but poorly made Samsung's hit the shelves, distracting customers from the build quality and design of the 5C.
  • Reply 149 of 185
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's your point?
    They could be worse. :D
  • Reply 150 of 185
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I’ve felt that material. That is a bad material.

Is there ANYTHING that you aren't an expert on? /s

First it was the iPhone 5 - Apple would NEVER release a 4" phone. 3.5" is perfect and no one could possibly want a different size.

Then the iPad Mini - Apple would never release a smaller iPad. 10" is perfect and no one could possibly want a different size.

Then the Ives charity table which you so blithely label as ugly.

Then the iPhone 5C - which you consider a 'bad' material, even though most people think it's a quality material.

Apple should just fire everyone in the design team and hire you since you obviously know everything and no one at Apple seems to know anything.

BTW, where are all of your multibillion dollar products?
  • Reply 151 of 185
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    5c was to replace 4s and 5
    Pricing 5c at 100'and 5s at 200
    I believe was a classic example of decoy pricing to push more
    INITIALLY to the higher margin 5s
    Deals will then be made toward holiday buying of the 5c
    Now $50 to draw into a particular store
    You have to view this as a strategy over a period of time
    Early adopters
    Early holiday
    Holiday shoppers
    Just wait
    I agree the 5c was to attract cheapo android BB M$ feature phone converts to apple
    5c will grow as those in this time frame get off contract
    Also for the prepaid market
    I think brilliant
  • Reply 152 of 185
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What I find interesting about the 5C is it seems those who own it love it and its people who don't own it and don't have any plans of owning it that don't like it. I have yet to come across someone (either that I know personally or from just searching online) who purchased a 5C and doesn't love it. Ok the haters would claim 5C owners don't want to admit they made a mistake. But from what I've seen/read these people aren't faking anything, they really do like the phone. Maybe Apple needs to find a way to get that sentiment out there. Because right now the meme is the 5C is a dud, which is a shame.
  • Reply 153 of 185
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,617member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What I find interesting about the 5C is it seems those who own it love it and its people who don't own it and don't have any plans of owning it that don't like it. I have yet to come across someone (either that I know personally or from just searching online) who purchased a 5C and doesn't love it. Ok the haters would claim 5C owners don't want to admit they made a mistake. But from what I've seen/read these people aren't faking anything, they really do like the phone. Maybe Apple needs to find a way to get that sentiment out there. Because right now the meme is the 5C is a dud, which is a shame.

I took my wife to get a 5c Thursday evening as she thought the green was "cute" and what she wanted. Once she had it in hand she didn't like it. :\ The salesperson showed her their 5s which she thought was OK but the phone she liked better than either of those? Last year's 5. Guess that's what she'll probably end up with tho now she wants to wait a week or so to make sure.

Side-note: While she was there she saw a Samsung Mega and remarked how stupid big it was and must be for a man. The salesperson came back with "No, you'd be surprised. We sell them mostly to girls. They really like it." *

*Yeah there's probably a joke in there as I said to my wife
  • Reply 154 of 185
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The salesperson showed her their 5s which she thought was OK but the phone she liked better than either of those? Last year's 5.
    Um ... Cosmetically, they are the exact same phone, at least the silver one. Are you saying she hates the metal ring around the home button? Hates the gold, silver and the new space gray, and prefers the old black on black model? Otherwise this comment makes no sense.
  • Reply 155 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

11.4 mil. in 10 days.

10.4 mil. in 92 days.

Yep. Okay. Sure. Uh hu.

Good point. He then calls it a 10% sequential decline. More like a catastrophic collapse.

Also note that the 5C is debuting in many countries in Europe and elsewhere in the Desember quarter. Pent up demand will make Desember a big quarter in those countries.

I do predict though that Apple will drop the 4S early next year and the 5C will take it's place on the low end as manufacturing costs decrease, novelty wears thinner and competition continues. A 5" model will be introduced later that year as an addition to the lineup for those who want that kind of monstrosity. That should keep growth at pace.

• Reply 156 of 185
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

BTW, where are all of your multibillion dollar products?

And your post has what at all to do with anything relevant, much less anything I said?

Few steps back, now. 

• Reply 157 of 185
    Quote:

What?

This is the same for any product you can mention.

Some people love it.

Some people don't and that doesn't make them a hater.

The challenge for any company is to make a product that strikes a chord with a (very) large percentage of the population.

• Reply 158 of 185
    Quote:

They could be worse. image

Oh... it can always be worse. I'm not sure if I want that tag attached to an Apple product, though. 

• Reply 159 of 185
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,617member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Um ... Cosmetically, they are the exact same phone, at least the silver one. Are you saying she hates the metal ring around the home button? Hates the gold, silver and the new space gray, and prefers the old black on black model? Otherwise this comment makes no sense.

I've no idea why she preferred the 5 over the 5s. Could have been price or it could have been the fingerprint reader or it could have been something we'd think is silly and inconsequential. Does it really matter? I suspect reasons that "make no sense to you" is why you can choose from 4 different iPhone models and several different variations of those.
  • Reply 160 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've no idea why she preferred the 5 over the 5s. Could have been price or it could have been the fingerprint reader or it could have been something we'd think is silly and inconsequential. Does it really matter? I suspect reasons that "make no sense to you" is why you can choose from 4 different iPhone models and several different variations of those.

Hell, I've seen people look at two identical vehicles on the lot and pick one over the other... because it 'felt right'.