GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia officially join Google's Android automotive push

Comments

• Reply 82 of 128
    Don't be distracted by the iOS vs Android issue. The real issue here is that Google is only in one business- gathering and selling information about you. Period. Nothing else matters. They want to know where you go, how often, how much time it takes you, how long you stay, where you go next, etc, etc. That information is extremely valuable to, for example, a supermarket chain evaluating locations for a new store. e.g. How many people within a 10 mile radius drive past this location to get to a competitor's supermarket, how often do they make the trip, what time of day, etc, etc. (They already know what you buy and how much you spend because of that supermarket discount card you scan when check out). You benefit because you may get a supermarket closer to where you live. If you're OK with that, buy one of these cars.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    It isn't open at all. Google is not playing the open game any more. They are even less shy about it now. The problem is Android is constantly in beta. It's hacked to death etc...

Agreed, of course. But they're giving lip service to openness still, using the word six or seven times on that short web page for the Open Auto Alliance.
  • Reply 84 of 128
    Mmmm... I'll be away for a while... I've gotta' root my 201x Audi to update to the latest AndyAuto BumperCar 2.3.4.7 version...

...So I can roll up windows!
  • Reply 85 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    And how many Androids are on 4.x?

I believe it's around 50%, but we are discussing the version these cars will be running and I definitely don't think they'd be installing 2.3 in these cars.

I personally think it's a mistake for the auto makers to align themselves with any one platform, because either way you're going to alienate a sizable group of potential buyers.
  • Reply 86 of 128
    I predict that this offering will have as much success as the Blackberry PlayBook!
  • Reply 87 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Agreed, of course. But they're giving lip service to openness still, using the word six or seven times on that short web page for the Open Auto Alliance.

They should've went with AAA (Ajar Auto Alliance) :lol:
  • Reply 88 of 128
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    call-151 wrote: »
    Don't be distracted by the iOS vs Android issue. The real issue here is that Google is only in one business- gathering and selling information about you. Period. Nothing else matters. They want to know where you go, how often, how much time it takes you, how long you stay, where you go next, etc, etc. That information is extremely valuable to, for example, a supermarket chain evaluating locations for a new store. e.g. How many people within a 10 mile radius drive past this location to get to a competitor's supermarket, how often do they make the trip, what time of day, etc, etc. (They already know what you buy and how much you spend because of that supermarket discount card you scan when check out). You benefit because you may get a supermarket closer to where you live. If you're OK with that, buy one of these cars.
    Actually this is not how Google works. Data is collected for targeted advertising (the same as Apple's iAd service). Targeting is done in-house and the advertiser never gets to see the collected data (this is the same for both Google's Admob and Apple's iAd). Google is not a data broker meaning data isn't sold at any point (is directly mentioned in the privacy agreement), they use it so their ad service is more accurate. The more accurate the data, the better the targeting and the less the advertiser has to waste money on advertisements that are shown to people outside the target group. With Google in complete control of the data this also means advertisers always have to come back to Google (which wouldn't be the case if they sold data, you can only sell once, not a good business model).
    Thought I would clear this up, people often have misconceptions about how Google works.
  • Reply 89 of 128
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Isn't OAA really Open Android Alliance?  Seems like it to me.

• Reply 90 of 128

I'm in the market for a new car soon because a baby is on the way and every car I've looked at so far seems pretty much the same. I have to admit that, as dumb as this sounds, a major selling piece for me would be iOS in the Car. I am not sure what this news means as far as that's concerned but I hope Apple is still on track for that.

• Reply 91 of 128
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

GM and Honda I can see. But Audi?? Damn, I thought you were classy.. 

• Reply 92 of 128
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Morons abound in this industry.
  • Reply 93 of 128
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

No one is going to have to choose between mobile platforms when purchasing a car mentioned in this article - no one!

They do get to choose whether they have a first class citizen experience or a second class citizen experience.  Sharing the same OS across both mobile and car will generate the best experience.  An OSX user on a Windows network can tell you what it feels like.  Most things work.  Some don't.

I won't buy a car with Android baked in if I have a choice.  In fact I DON'T want an onboard nav/entertainment system at all.  All I want is the carmaker to provide the backbone power and data at each seat (aka USB ports), a local secure network (wifi) that easily shares a provided hotspot (that I provide) and carries GPS, inertial and car health data that any app on any platform I choose can use and mounted displays that are more crash safe for occupants than strapping an iPad to a headrest that I can easily stream to via airplay. 

For that NO android (or iOS) is required is required.  Just an onboard computer with a user facing web server for authentication and configuration.

• Reply 94 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by call-151 View Post

Yep. All of this stuff is tracked anyway though. Buying another brand of car is not going to keep you off the grid or anything.

I'm sure this system will integrate fine with iOS and other mainstream mobile devices, just in the interest of more data for Google -- they have no benefit excluding other systems. Integration should be simple, as there are already audio standards for live streaming, and anything else can work through an application and/or a service running on the mobile device (like setting up Navigation as you walk out to the car, then moving it to the on board system).

• Reply 95 of 128

No, that's the percentage of devices that accessed Google Play the last 7 days. Google no longer shows the graph like they used to where it listed the ACTUAL percentage of ALL devices that exist. Of course, when Google talks about activations they still like to list ALL devices since that represents a much bigger number.

Even when using their "revised" numbers Google is still all over the place.

- 18.6% running some version of ICS (Google no longer separates the ICS versions).

- 37.4% running the 1st version of Jelly Bean released on July 2012.

- 12.9% on the 2nd version of Jelly Bean released on November 2012.

- 4.2% on the 3rd version of Jelly Bean released on July 2013.

- Only 1.1% on Kit Kat released on September 2013.

What's funny is seeing Apple use a similar chart with the "last 7 day" metric to poke fun at Google. Using Google's "revised" method we find:

- 78% of iPhones are on iOS 7 released on September 2013.

Kit Kat and iOS 7 released in the same month. One version is on 1.1% of devices, the other is on 78%. Pathetic.

• Reply 96 of 128

People getting riled up over nothing. As I posted before, nobody is going to run Android in their car. What they will do is make sure Android devices can properly integrate with your car to provide a seamless experience from your mobile device to the car. Same thing with iOS.

Look at GM, for example. They have already committed to iOS In The Car. They also just announced their own App Store for HMTL Apps to run on their in-dash system along with OnStar. And now they are working with the OAA. Seems pretty clear GM wants to play nice with everyone, and not tie themselves down to one system. They will use their own OS and add middleware to allow it to work with whatever device you have.

• Reply 97 of 128
    And if Apple sold chicken soup, Google would announce an Open Soup Alliance. The alliance would have a clause that says members cannot sell soups not approved by Google. To prevent any members from competing against Google with their own soup recipes.
  • Reply 98 of 128
    Auto manufacturers are likely to prefer to give their customers the option of whatever type of integration they prefer -- whether iOS, Android, etc. None of the partnerships appear to be "exclusive," and I doubt any automaker would agree to that, as they would immediately lose a certain segment of the market.
  • Reply 99 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

What's funny is seeing Apple use a similar chart with the "last 7 day" metric to poke fun at Google. Using Google's "revised" method we find:

- 78% of iPhones are on iOS 7 released on September 2013.

Kit Kat and iOS 7 released in the same month. One version is on 1.1% of devices, the other is on 78%. Pathetic.

That should be tempered with a healthy dose of "who cares?" Remember how much you loved your iPhone in July of 2012? With that old iOS running on it? I was on ICS for three years and longed for nothing. My kids are on iOS 7, and my wife couldn't care less, happy on iOS 6 with no desire to update.

Then there's the question: wth does this have to do with Android embedded in an Audi?

• Reply 100 of 128

This is marketing fluff.  Remember WAP?  It was a stripped down version of websites that can be displayed on phones before the iPhone.    

Remember the Motorola's iTunes phone?  I think Apple will buy a car company or just build its own cars.