Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How would this be practical for news channels, late night talk shows, or more specifically The Daily Show or Colbert Report? Teleprompters have their place. You can't simply pooh-pooh them all and think that Keynote is a viable solution for every presentation need.

Well, news is really the primary situation, and there they have a guy monitoring the monitors who scrolls it as needed for the newscaster. That’s particularly the 

You know how many mistakes people make in inflection of sentence and pronunciation of words due to the teleprompter. It’s an imperfect solution. Unless it’s a breaking news story that has developed during the air time of the program, is there really a reason to not have it written out properly?

No, I don’t mean to say go back to using big ol’ cue cards. 

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Do we have free press in the USA?  No!  We have merely parrots and provocateurs.  No independent reporting.

Plenty of it. It’s called the Internet.

• Reply 62 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crowley wrote: »
    Not sure which association is more toxic, Samsung being associated with tasteless, thuggish, leering scumbag Michael Bay, or Michael Bay being associated with tasteless, thuggish, leering scumbags Samsung.

I guess it's a pretty good pairing.

Birds of a feather.....
  • Reply 63 of 137
    Someone at AI swiped the story and the word "meltdown" from The Verge. Pure laziness. On the other hand, this Samsung event was a delightful moment of schadenfreude for Samsung haters (of which there are many and growing).

The tech press view Michael Bay's antics as "upstaging" Samsung, but not reflecting poorly on the company. I think paying a celebrity to throw a tantrum in public does reflect poorly on the brand, as was whatever "teleprompter" issue is being blamed for his behavior. "Live" isn't a valid excuse for unprepared, unrehearsed and a lack of grace under pressure. :)
  • Reply 64 of 137
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I think the iPhone presentation was the best he did but I personally think the 2010 iPad presentation seemed too ab-libded and sloppy. He went over the same stuff too, too many long pauses, other minor issues.

2) My favorite Q&A was right before Apple adopted the "Think Different" campaign (I think in 1997). He fielded a question by someone that didn't seem to like Apple doing anything that wasn't completely unique. Steve answered that thinking different is the right mindset. The right mindset is to think better. If that means following in the footsteps of other then so be it.

edit: Found it!

• (Starts precisely 12m:17s but put in a time stamp a couple minutes earlier for the lead up)

Those patched jeans were distracting.  Thanks for sharing.

• Reply 65 of 137

I felt bad for the guy. I used to have similar issue ....

On another note, Samsung sucks. They will always do and their products are never ever welcomed here.

In fact, I ignore any vendor if they support android.

• Reply 66 of 137
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    so, it's samsunginsider.com
  • Reply 67 of 137
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Okay, I gotta say this. Steve would never have done this. When Jobs walked out on the stage he owned the place. There, I said it!

• Reply 68 of 137
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,779member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure. Shame they don’t work very well. ;)

Is it just because that requires actual work that we don’t see other companies do the same?

Of course they face the speaker! Again, Apple has televisions embedded in the stage where they can see what they’re doing without turning around, and where they have notes for what’s up.

So Apple doesn't use a teleprompter. It would be very silly for them to use a teleprompter for the exact same reasons as this Samsung event. If you've ever used one, and don't remember what to say it will actually make things worse when presenting because you're fully relying the teleprompter which is a bad thing because if something happens to it, then you're fucked where you stand. They use Keynote and note cards to give them an idea of what to say. There is a difference you know. 

• Reply 69 of 137
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

There is a difference you know. 

Yeah. One works and the other leaves you high and dry.

• Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

BS.  Its Samsungs fault for paying someone money to pitch a product and that said person has no idea what the product does.  If Mr Bay even spent 5 minutes using the TV he would be able to come up with at least a sentence or two of praise. 

Bottom line is Samsung thinks throwing money around with celebrity endorsers will lead to sales.  Even though those endorsers have ZERO interest in Samsung products.

I wonder how many people even know who this guy is? Maybe 4 out of 10 people?

• Reply 71 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah. One works and the other leaves you high and dry.

Exactly!

• Reply 72 of 137
    inklinginkling Posts: 758member
    First Obama and now this guy. Will the future be filled with empty-headed celebrities who can't talk without a teleprompter?
  • Reply 73 of 137
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

First Obama and now this guy. Will the future be filled with empty-headed celebrities who can't talk without a teleprompter?

“If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.”

• Reply 74 of 137
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Yep. And? Get over yourself.
    Nope, sorry, you don't get to do that.

When asked if Apple use a teleprompter you replied "of course they do". That was incorrect. Either you knew it was incorrect and lied, or you just didn't know what you were talking about. Just admit one or the other like a man and stop trying to pass the buck all the time.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    “If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.”
    What a pile of horse shit. There are lots of facts in the world for a president, CEO or public speaker to remember. You can't even remember what a teleprompter is!
  • Reply 76 of 137
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

When asked if Apple use a teleprompter you replied "of course they do". That was incorrect.

Forgive me, but LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Once again, get over it.

• Reply 77 of 137
    No idea what you're laughing at, Apple do not use one of those.

If you genuinely think they do, what was all that rabbiting about Keynote earlier? And you'd be wrong.
  • Reply 78 of 137
  • Reply 79 of 137
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now tell us the part where Apple makes TV shows and movies.

Apple’s explosions would be more realistic than Bay’s explosions.

• Reply 80 of 137

Apple’s explosions would be more realistic than Bay’s explosions.

Thanks, that actually made me laugh.