Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Do TVs really need their own app store? Can't they just be dumb displays for consoles, iPads, PCs?

The main thing that differentiates the TV from a phone or a PC is that everyone sits around it together, whereas iPads etc are more individual. In other words it is a sharing device. It should just be central thing that lets people share things from their individual devices with everyone else in the house.

• Reply 122 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »
    Do TVs really need their own app store? Can't they just be dumb displays for consoles, iPads, PCs?

The main thing that differentiates the TV from a phone or a PC is that everyone sits around it together, whereas iPads etc are more individual. In other words it is a sharing device. It should just be central thing that lets people share things from their individual devices with everyone else in the house.

Whenever someone says 'apps' for a TV they really mean 'channels'. They would like their favorite channels available as a 'app' and access them via the internet than from a cable set top box.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Transformers 3

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But then you saw the movie.

I think the best part about Transformers 3 is that there’s going to be a Transformers 4, starring Mark Wahlberg. 

I mean, could they have picked a better guy to succeed whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA

• Reply 124 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think the best part about Transformers 3 is that there’s going to be a Transformers 4, starring Mark Wahlberg. 

I mean, could they have picked a better guy to succeed whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA

Joey Lawrence?
  • Reply 125 of 137
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Joey Lawrence?

Shia cites him as one of his greatest inspirations.

• Reply 126 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Whenever someone says 'apps' for a TV they really mean 'channels'. They would like their favorite channels available as a 'app' and access them via the internet than from a cable set top box.

I still think a box (or maybe a stick) is a better way to go, just not a cable box. "Smart" TV functionality is largely baked-in, I don't know if anyone has really had upgraded the TV OS after the fact. Even if manufacturers updated their smart TV OS, once they quit, then that's it. A Roku or AppleTV-type box is generally better than what I've seen built into a TV. And if the manufacturer doesn't update anymore, unplug the box and switch to something better suited.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I still think a box (or maybe a stick) is a better way to go, just not a cable box. "Smart" TV functionality is largely baked-in, I don't know if anyone has really had upgraded the TV OS after the fact. Even if manufacturers updated their smart TV OS, once they quit, then that's it. A Roku or AppleTV-type box is generally better than what I've seen built into a TV. And if the manufacturer doesn't update anymore, unplug the box and switch to something better suited.

Do new TV's usually have USB ports on them these days? If so, are they powered? I'd like to see something that can attached to the TV so it can be upgraded more often than the TV as well as moved to a new TV. Chromecast is a great device (for the price) but it still has a power supply that needs to be plugged in that hurts it's overall convenience.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Do new TV's usually have USB ports on them these days? If so, are they powered? I'd like to see something that can attached to the TV so it can be upgraded more often than the TV as well as moved to a new TV. Chromecast is a great device (for the price) but it still has a power supply that needs to be plugged in that hurts it's overall convenience.

Most new TVs do have a USB port that will provide power, that's exactly how I power my Chromecast. I use it mainly for HBO Go which my Panasonic doesn’t have natively.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

I don't even remember if mine has USB.

I think the MK808 stick runs off HDMI power.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    On a side note, I watched the presentation SJ did when he flew back early from his Hawaii family vacation b/c of the iphone 4's antenna problem. On short notice, he was brilliant! :)

Especially when you think about the fact that he had a toothache but didn't go to the dentist because he thought he could "make it disappear by trying not to think about the pain". Walked around with it for days...
    Sorry to photo bomb this thread, but I know lots of regulars will be posting. Does anyone know what's happened to long time poster, "Relic"? Her name is Sonja Gerig, lives in Switzerland, and was in the hospital with possibly terminal breast cancer. She hasn't posted since December 8th and I am worried. I've tried PMing and emailing her to no avail. I believe she was in the Cantonal hospital in Steinhausen. Any Swiss members who can assist finding out her situation would be appreciated. She went to Cal Tech near me in California.

Boy am I glad I'm reading yesterdays' thread. That you have her name is...well, can we take this to the thread she started herself please?
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158838/well-it-looks-like-im-no-longer-in-remission/40

I would think some people would like to write their thoughts and feelings in that thread. Thank you for posting; no need for apologies on 'bombing' this thread.
    This same equipment failure has happened to the president and he was reduced to a blubbering incoherent mess.

Just Google "youtube obama teleprompter failure"

To err is human

• Reply 131 of 137
    Best teleprompter meltdown in the history of recorded media…

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 132 of 137
    Best teleprompter meltdown in the history of recorded media…

[VIDEO]

That's hilarious, but did you check out the all hot Latinas in the link provided at the end?
  • Reply 133 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ...and it's off-line. Darn it
  • Reply 134 of 137
    Marvin wrote: »
    He said his job is that he:

- gets to dream for a living
    - creates visual worlds beyond everyone's life experiences
    - tries to take people on an emotional ride

but what about the curve Michael, how is the curve on the TV going to impact all that?

Michael Bay: 'excuse me, I'm sorry'

We'll never know.
    Teleprompter, my ass. No way Phil would call Batman the Black Knight if he had a teleprompter.

Maybe he got ahold of a bad burrito before he went onstage. He had a pained expression as he skulked off.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

My takeaway:  Transformers 4 is coming?  Cool.

• Reply 136 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

My takeaway:  Transformers 4 is coming?  Cool.

My take:  Transformers 4 is coming? Ugh.