Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    st88 wrote: »
    Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success.  It would appear they're still doing a good job of it, a strong emphasis on the "Apple lifestyle".  The ability to add emotion and depth to something as simple as a tablet.

I'd say the most weapon in their arsenal are excellent products.

Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.

If the analogy is useless then explain why an iPhone must be able to everything that is in a Mac Pro. Or perhaps go the other way and explain why the Mac Pro must do everything that the iPhone can do. Each has their place like a car and a truck, like an articulated lorry and a motorcycle, like a mountain bike and a touring bicycle, or like any number of ways people can move themselves and things from point A to point B.

reinthal wrote: »
    Well, thank you, that's good to know. Great to see that someone acknowledges and wishes to address legitimate issues on this forum.

Why must your self proclaimed "legitimate issue" be addressed on a completely unrelated thread? There are plenty of threads about issues with HW and SW, and you could have made your own saying "Why does Apple hate me" or whatever, but you choose to jack this new thread that is only a few hours old. BTW, if you really have issues a much better place is http://hintsforums.macworld.com which is geared toward resolving issues people have, not jacking threads on unrelated topics.
  • Reply 62 of 146
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Don't get me wrong or put words in my mouth, marketing isn't Apple's only key to success, but to downplay its importance is ignorance.  Apple has always had a strong focus on lifestyle.

Making good products is their most important weapon and that is where you got it 100% wrong.
  • Reply 63 of 146
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why must your self proclaimed "legitimate issue" be addressed on a completely unrelated thread? There are plenty of threads about issues with HW and SW, and you could have made your own saying "Why does Apple hate me" or whatever, but you choose to jack this new thread that is only a few hours old. BTW, if you really have issues a much better place is http://hintsforums.macworld.com which is geared toward resolving issues people have, not jacking threads on unrelated topics.

I proclaimed it a legitimate issue because it is a legitimate issue: I'm not making it up. And, if you read the posts again I never said Apple (or God, like another poster put it) hates me. That's just ridiculous. Also, it's hardly unrelated to the topic. I'm talking about a real iPad Air issue.

So at least you put in something constructive at the end. Thanks, I'll try that MacWorld forum.
  • Reply 64 of 146
    steven n. wrote: »
    Making good products is their most important weapon and that is where you got it 100% wrong.

It's funny how now, long after the Mac was the only major product Apple sold and Apple Stores first appeared, some people still want to say that Apple's success is based on marketing.

I proclaimed it a legitimate issue because it is a legitimate issue: I'm not making it up. And, if you read the posts again I never said Apple (or God, like another poster put it) hates me. That's just ridiculous. Also, it's hardly unrelated to the topic. I'm talking about a real iPad Air issue.

So at least you put in something constructive at the end. Thanks, I'll try that MacWorld forum.

Where are your constructive comments in this thread about the new iPad Air commercial?
  • Reply 65 of 146
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Did you even read the context of my original post?  This has nothing to do with someone's needs, but what a device can actually do.

Are you going to carry a desktop up a mountain?
  • Reply 66 of 146
    Where are your constructive comments in this thread about the new iPad Air commercial?

See my original post. These issues I (and presumably every other iPad Air owner, unless mine is in some way special) am experiencing are part of a "real user's story" — i.e. mine. How is that not constructive? If these issues can be identified and then addressed isn't that constructive?

Unless you are confusing saying something constructive with saying something that is only positive??
  • Reply 67 of 146
    steven n. wrote: »
    Are you going to carry a desktop up a mountain?

With the new Mac Pro you can :D, but I'd stick with the iPad.

I'm not one for taking pictures, even on my iPhone, but I am one for traveling with my iPad so this ad still hit home for me, and I assume with most other iPad users. But will it hit home with those that haven't experienced an iPad yet?

How is that not constructive?

How is derailing a thread constructive? Creating a new thread on AI specifically to talk about the issues you're having with iOS or even doing a web search for others having the issue would have been constructive. Did you even look on discussions.apple.com before jacking this thread about a new iPad ad?
  • Reply 68 of 146
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...
    Bring it to an apple store or get a replacement. Jeez, basic problem solving
  • Reply 69 of 146
    Great visuals in the ad, but I found the narration and music cringe-worthy.

I hate to say this, but overall, a mediocre ad.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...

Safari DOES crash a lot on iOS 7. It's a bit of a disappointment.

I've ended up using Atomic Browser more and more often.
  • Reply 71 of 146
    This video makes me want to base jump off a mountain with my iPad, while searching for a cure for cancer. Yeah, I should be doing that.
  • Reply 72 of 146
    dnd0ps wrote: »

Except I've read, and continue to read, of others having the same problem. So if it's a problem with the model, swapping one Air for another won't help, will it?
  • Reply 73 of 146
    Safari DOES crash a lot on iOS 7. It's a bit of a disappointment.

Thank you, sir! Yes, it does.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

See my original post. These issues I (and presumably every other iPad Air owner, unless mine is in some way special) am experiencing are part of a "real user's story" — i.e. mine. How is that not constructive? If these issues can be identified and then addressed isn't that constructive?

Unless you are confusing saying something constructive with saying something that is only positive??

Your original post was off topic. Please find or start an appropriate forum thread, seek assistance from the Genius Bar, or a technology-platform grief counselor.

• Reply 75 of 146
    Great visuals in the ad, but I found the narration and music cringe-worthy.

I hate to say this, but overall, a mediocre ad.

I think it's great. Not just the visuals or reciting a WW (not Walter White) poem but reciting from Dead Poets Society and getting Robin Williams to do it. I think it's one of the best ads I've ever seen.
  • Reply 76 of 146
    How is derailing a thread constructive? Creating a new thread on AI specifically to talk about the issues you're having with iOS or even doing a web search for others having the issue would have been constructive. Did you even look on discussions.apple.com before jacking this thread about a new iPad ad?

I'm not derailing the thread, I'm merely talking about my experiences with the said piece of hardware that the article was about (though it has to be a software problem, OS or app-specific, rarer than a hardware problem) and just because my comments are not glowingly positive doesn't mean they're not constructive.

Yes, I looked at discussions.apple.com and there is a lot of discussion on this issue there as well. Don't be so quick to make assumptions as, yes, I've done a lot of web and Twitter searches as well. A *lot* of people are talking about this.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    Yes, I looked at discussions.apple.com and there is a lot of discussion on this issue there as well. Don't be so quick to make assumptions as, yes, I've done a lot of web and Twitter searches as well. A *lot* of people are talking about this.

And despite claiming you had previously looked it up and were aware others have this same issue with that particular iOS version on both the iPhone and iPad you came to an new thread topic that unrelated to your issue to complain about it? Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 78 of 146
    Your original post was off topic. Please find or start an appropriate forum thread, seek assistance from the Genius Bar, or a technology-platform grief counselor.

I thought this website was about a set of technology platforms from one specific company? If my original post was off-topic, it wasn't too far off-topic. We're talking about the iPad Air aren't we?
  • Reply 79 of 146
    And despite claiming you had previously looked it up and were aware others have this same issue with that particular iOS version on both the iPhone and iPad you came to an new thread topic that unrelated to your issue to complain about it? Makes perfect sense¡

It's hardly "unrelated":