Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And despite claiming you had previously looked it up and were aware others have this same issue with that particular iOS version on both the iPhone and iPad you came to an new thread topic that unrelated to your issue to complain about it? Makes perfect sense¡

Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.
  • Reply 82 of 146
    What part of "Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories" is related to a Safari issue affecting all iPads and iPhone of a specific iOS version?

See my last post.
  • Reply 83 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    reinthal wrote: »
    Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.

And yet you said you looked up this particular issue on Apple's forums and somehow missed all comments of people with different devices. So you're lying now or lying then. Proud of yourself?
    reinthal wrote: »
    See my last post.

See post #82.
  • Reply 84 of 146
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It's funny how now, long after the Mac was the only major product Apple sold and Apple Stores first appeared, some people still want to say that Apple's success is based on marketing.
    Yes. I think the original comment was either poorly worded or just not very well reasoned. Clearly Apple's strength is first and foremost it's products, and yet that's such an over simplification it is all most as silly as the assertion that marketing is Apples main weapon. But Apple has aleays been brilliant at marketing and among Steve Job's many talents his marketing chops were perhaps his greatest. It's not a derogatory thing - he was, and Apple is brilliant at marketing strategy. The famous Apple secrecy is a marketing move first and foremost.
    In terms of their IPhone and iPad campaigns they are amazing examples of aspirational contextualisation but they hardly represent the be all and end all of Apple's marketing.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.

If you like the iPads that much, maybe you should buy Apple's stock instead ... :p 

• Reply 86 of 146

Horrible ad. All these new ads are FORGETTABLE!

Can you remember the last Apple iPhone ad? No, I can't either.

These forgettable "feel good for 30 seconds" ads need to end.

• Reply 87 of 146
    paxman wrote: »
    I think the original comment was either poorly worded or just not very well reasoned. Clearly Apple's strength is first and foremost it's products, and yet that's such an over simplification it is all most as silly as the assertion that marketing is Apples main weapon. But Apple has aleays been brilliant at marketing and among Steve Job's many talents his marketing chops were perhaps his greatest. It's not a derogatory thing - he was, and Apple is brilliant at marketing strategy. The famous Apple secrecy is a marketing move first and foremost.
    In terms of their IPhone and iPad campaigns they are amazing examples of aspirational contextualisation but they hardly represent the be all and end all of Apple's marketing.

I'd categorize it as Apple offers an experience but that comes from their products and can carry over to their ads because that philosophy and mindset is built into the company and likely an inspiration to whatever marketing team they hired for this ad, but it's tnot from merely convincing people to buy their products by creating an ad because that's an extremely myopic view of business, which seems to be where st88 was implying (see his other comments).
  • Reply 88 of 146
    st88 wrote: »
    "when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows [SIZE=36px]device[/SIZE] "

Most OSx and windows devices lack the mobility of an iPad Air. Hence I think those devices are quite limited.
    A device you can take with you anywhere is already gained a certain level of limitless capabilities.
    More creative stuff is being done on the iPads to solve various business and non business needs everyday
  • Reply 89 of 146
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

I see what you're trying to say but it is still off topic. This thread is about a commercial Apple posted not specifically about Safari but about how the iPad is being used in places and in ways that naysayers dismissed not too long ago and in some cases still to this day.

Your post is about a software bug that has been discussed in threads specific to your issue as well as the fact that the latest beta of 7.1 largely increases the stability of Safari. I've experienced your issue but it still doesn't make it on topic. Now if the thread was about how buggy a release of iOS 7 was with regards to Safari, then it would be on topic, but bringing it up and constantly getting into it with other forum members is counter productive to the conversation in this particular thread.

• Reply 90 of 146
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

I personally really like the ad. I like the message it conveys. The context of aspiring to do something great is inspiring. I strive to make a positive impact daily but this ad pushes me to want to do more. I know...corny, but still. Others have mentioned that the ad is a little wishy washy and doesn't show "normal people" doing "normal things" just like the previous Life with iPad ad, but I think that misses the point. Unlike other manufacturers that show ads with people break dancing or getting inside giant robots or making fun of competing products, I think it's a breathe of fresh air, no pun intended.

I think what we call "the human spirit" is encompassed in an ad like this, as is the voiceover from Dead Poets Society. Human beings are curious and I think a 10" device that barely weighs a pound gives us a way to go places and do things that even a few years ago we thought were futuristic. Sure tablets existed prior to the iPad but I think that it was the nerds running the show before and now it feels as though the artists are, and to me, that's rather inspiring. Steve said it best -

Quote:

"It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough — it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing and nowhere is that more true than in these post-PC devices."

I know others have mentioned it before but it bears repeating. The iPad is Steve's and Apple's vision fully realized. I think these ads just push that message home.

• Reply 91 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayingAlert View Post

If you like the iPads that much, maybe you should buy Apple's stock instead ... :p 

I did...in addition to all of the other Apple products that I am satisfied with!

• Reply 92 of 146
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Horrible ad. All these new ads are FORGETTABLE!

Then you have worse memory than me.

Which means you’re either the guy from Memento or reliant on several VERY expensive machines that are the only thing keeping your body alive because your brain has forgotten how to do it on its own.

And the guy from Memento’s even pushing it.

These forgettable "feel good for 30 seconds" ads need to end.

Nah. Drink more caffeine.

• Reply 93 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.

I saw this on the computer first but found the first 30 secs slow. But when I saw it again on my large flat screen TV, it was indeed different.

• Reply 94 of 146

This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

• Reply 95 of 146
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    st88 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think he was. You wrote "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success" which I took as that they would have a hard time being successful if they didn't have great marketing.

I see this differently: the products sell themselves. No need for marketing. Their products are that good.
    Re-read his post.  

He states "To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed."

That is not something I believe.

There have been plenty of products which are 'that good' in the past, but some have met their demise due to marketing.

Need an example? Take a look at the plasma TV market, Pioneer and more recently Panasonic.  The best products with little marketing managed to fail against heavily marketed LCD/LED displays from companies such as Samsung or Sony.

1) I wasn't referring to his post, but your line: "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success", to which I disagree. Apple products sell themselves because they are of good quality, refined. I don't see any marketing from Apple in my country, yet it sells. iPhones & Macbooks everywhere.

2) Don't you think the lower price of LCD/LED could've won over from plasma?
  • Reply 96 of 146
    This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

I don't many on this site would have seen the iPad camera as being something more than for the occasional FaceTime flip-side usage to show something off in a home because, I assume, we're all more a bit persnickety about out gadgets, but I am seeing the iPad used as a camera more and more frequently. I was recently at a wedding and reception where it was used a lot. The display on the iPad certainly makes that aspect attractive but, to me, it still looks very odd. Perhaps these are people that have iPads but don't have iPhones or other advanced smartphones with good cameras. Is there another reason? Regardless Apple noticed this trend and have brilliantly, in my opinion, jumped on it with this ad.
  • Reply 97 of 146
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wait, you mean all I need for complete self actualisation ("writing my own verse") is an iPad? And here I was thinking that took years of hard work and introspection! Oh I am a silly goat.

• Reply 98 of 146
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Great marketing won't save a bad product, but poor or mediocre marketing can damage a mediocre product. Look at what Microsoft's break dancing ads to the Surface tablet... it didn't help a bit and turned the product into a parody of the ad.

Excellent point! The rest of your post as well.

As for the Surface, the presentation didn't help either (crashed), the lack of retail price didn't help either, nor did the firing of the developer.
    I don't many on this site would have seen the iPad camera as being something more than for the occasional FaceTime flip-side usage to show something off in a home because, I assume, we're all more a bit persnickety about out gadgets, but I am seeing the iPad used as a camera more and more frequently. I was recently at a wedding and reception where it was used a lot. The display on the iPad certainly makes that aspect attractive but, to me, it still looks very odd. Perhaps these are people that have iPads but don't have iPhones or other advanced smartphones with good cameras. Is there another reason? Regardless Apple noticed this trend and have brilliantly, in my opinion, jumped on it with this ad.

I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

Sorry to be OT, though it fully relates to the iPad usage which is what the ad was about.

PS After seeing the New Depths page, I can't wait for the 'Elevating the Expedition' story
  • Reply 99 of 146
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

I have to think Apple saw this development at least a year ago and started to design their iPad with better optics. There is certainly more room in the iPad for better optics as compared to the iPhone.

NasserAE speculated that Apple could be the first to market with 4K video with that recent purchase of the developer than had an app than can take 10-20 8Mpx photos per second, which is equivalent to the number of pixels in 4K. Implemented that algorithm into Apple's code with an SoC designed around it along with better camera HW could mean this could happen as soon as this year.
    Sorry to be OT, though it fully relates to the iPad usage which is what the ad was about.

Vert much on topic.
  • Reply 100 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    psych_guy wrote: »
    Having been a slave to the Microsoft ecosystem for 20 years, personally I'm glad to be free of it. That makes all the difference in my iPad, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and my iMac all of which I use in my personal creative life and for my business.

Just makes you a slave all over again.