Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    emes wrote: »

Actually, most Windows 8 devices are tablets

In some ways they did mirror tablet use but have you tried to even change the orientation of Surface? It's a huge mess that takes you into old-style desktop windows. It's not natural or automatic as one should expect from a tablet. Even Android and Kindle Fire get this right.

Erm, this is not at all true. Have you actually seen the ads? The new kickstand angle is wide enough for lap use and I've handled the keyboards my self and they're very stiff and rigid

Do you have a video of the Surface being used on a lap with reasonable ease that matches a proper notebook? Everything I've seen shows it's not possible.

edit: Here is someone complaining about that MS' very on Community site:

You know what they say about necessity: Here is someone who built their own Surface case just so it would be halfway decent on their lap, but even that has a very squishy keyboard feel and lot of manipulating for adjusting the display angle:

• Reply 122 of 146
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, I have only seen the song and dance ads, and one other ad that still didn't show what the product did.

I know someone that has one, and OK, maybe it will work on a lap, but that's a compromised situation.

The dancing ads did suck, I'll give you that.

But thank you for being reasonable

• Reply 123 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you have a video of the Surface being used on a lap with reasonable ease that matches a proper notebook? Everything I've seen shows it's not possible.

Yes I do

And in terms of cases, the iPad isn't much better

• Reply 124 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

The dancing ads did suck, I'll give you that.

But thank you for being reasonable

Circuit-wise, Surface Pro is impressive hardware, and the construction of the main body is solid. The guy I know even switched to using it for Solidworks because it had plenty of horsepower for it, even for complicated assemblies. For that work, he hooks it up to an external monitor because the screen size & pitch makes it hard to look at on the built-in display for too long.
  • Reply 125 of 146
    Yes I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIa1PEOLi4

And in terms of cases, the iPad isn't much better

That video doesn't reveal anything. The one I posted was a better advertisement for the Surface. No light and he's using a black Surface whilst wearing black clothes. I can't make out anything but the floor and I'm reasonably sure he has a 747 key engine running off to the side.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

How good is sensor stabilization on the iPad? Is it as good as on the iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

But, as more and more people look at videos on smartphones, is portrait mode really wrong? Might there not be occasions when it is in fact more suitable?

• Reply 127 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Circuit-wise, Surface Pro is impressive hardware, and the construction of the main body is solid. The guy I know even switched to using it for Solidworks because it had plenty of horsepower for it, even for complicated assemblies. For that work, he hooks it up to an external monitor because the screen size & pitch makes it hard to look at on the built-in display for too long.

Yeah, I can see how it would be a problem. Also, trying to hit all those tiny buttons on a 10.1" screen could get difficult if you're not using the stylus or trackpad

Quote:

That video doesn't reveal anything. The one I posted was a better advertisement for the Surface. No light and he's using a black Surface whilst wearing black clothes. I can't make out anything but the floor and I'm reasonably sure he has a 747 key engine running off to the side.

Lol

But the point is that it's the original Surface with the angle that people thought wouldn't work on a giant ball. So it's really not that bad

• Reply 128 of 146
    But the point is that it's the original Surface with the angle that people thought wouldn't work on a giant ball. So it's really not that bad

I don't recall any comments about a giant ball. It's hard to tell in that oddly shady video with the widely placed angle but it looks like his thighs might be horizontal (i.e.: flat). People use notebooks on their lap at very angles and it's work well because the display supports itself and you can adjust the angle to what is ideal. How is that possible with the Surface? Where are those videos proving a 15* angle will work just as well?
  • Reply 129 of 146
    Quote:

I don't recall any comments about a giant ball. It's hard to tell in that oddly shady video with the widely placed angle but it looks like his thighs might be horizontal (i.e.: flat). People use notebooks on their lap at very angles and it's work well because the display supports itself and you can adjust the angle to what is ideal. How is that possible with the Surface? Where are those videos proving a 15* angle will work just as well?

I honestly have no answer to that except to say that you should get a case. Then again, the Surface might not be for everyone. Personally I'm at home a lot and I mostly use my laptop on the table, so "lapability" isn't a problem for me. If I manage to find enough money for one I'd use it as more of a consumption device, or on-the-go work, because lack of a CD drive is a big issue for me.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not going to try to push any opinions in your face. My SN says it all

• Reply 130 of 146

I honestly have no answer to that except to say that you should get a case. Then again, the Surface might not be for everyone. Personally I'm at home a lot and I mostly use my laptop on the table, so "lapability" isn't a problem for me. If I manage to find enough money for one I'd use it as more of a consumption device, or on-the-go work, because lack of a CD drive is a big issue for me.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not going to try to push any opinions in your face. My SN says it all

I'm curious what you still use a CD drive for.
  • Reply 131 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Why to install his AOL software of course. :lol:
  • Reply 132 of 146
    Quote:

Games, DVDs, ripping music...

• Reply 133 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why to install his AOL software of course. image

Hahahahano

I remember AOL, though. Good times...

• Reply 134 of 146

Games, DVDs, ripping music...

I find this fascinating. I simply can't imagine an ODD being so necessary for day-to-day use that one would want 20-25% of their laptop volume to be taken up by such a large, slow, and power hungry component.

I know people that still buy CDs and copy them to iTunes but they do by plugging in an external reader at home for 10-20 minutes once a month. For all the others they have long sense copied and converted the data.

I'm not a gamer but I thought it has been years since it was required to keep the disc in the drive while playing computer games. I thought they all could run from local storage.

I did see a guy on a plane back in Novemeber that was using a DVD. That DVD player, even on a plane, was loud and worst of all he didn't get to use his laptop for very long before it died. I don't expect the average person to tech savvy enough to use Handbrake (or iVI Pro) to copy and convert the movie to something that is local and uses comparatively little power compared to a DVD. I personally think the ODD was left in Macs for about 2 years too long and I'm very, very happy that the Mac can finally evolve past all this old tech that was holding it back now that the ODD is no longer internal.
  • Reply 135 of 146
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

How good is sensor stabilization on the iPad? Is it as good as on the iPhone?
    philboogie wrote: »
    One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

The sensor _seems_ to be better stabilised on the iPhone, but that is only my observation! and the devices aren't from the same year, so tech could've been improved on one of them

As for portrait videos, yes, there are indeed situations where it makes sense. Just like a FaceTime video call. But a woman shooting a video of her kids, saying she wants to send. DVD to her parents makes me point out why the viewing experience for her child's grandparents will be better if shot in landscape orientation.
  • Reply 136 of 146
    Quote:

I find this fascinating. I simply can't imagine an ODD being so necessary for day-to-day use that one would want 20-25% of their laptop volume to be taken up by such a large, slow, and power hungry component.

I know people that still buy CDs and copy them to iTunes but they do by plugging in an external reader at home for 10-20 minutes once a month. For all the others they have long sense copied and converted the data.

I'm not a gamer but I thought it has been years since it was required to keep the disc in the drive while playing computer games. I thought they all could run from local storage.

I did see a guy on a plane back in Novemeber that was using a DVD. That DVD player, even on a plane, was loud and worst of all he didn't get to use his laptop for very long before it died. I don't expect the average person to tech savvy enough to use Handbrake (or iVI Pro) to copy and convert the movie to something that is local and uses comparatively little power compared to a DVD. I personally think the ODD was left in Macs for about 2 years too long and I'm very, very happy that the Mac can finally evolve past all this old tech that was holding it back now that the ODD is no longer internal.

Well my laptop is 4 years old, so the hardware is pretty old.

As for music, TBH mostly I use Xbox music because you can stream entire songs for free, which must be a HUGE money sucker for MS.

We have an external ODD, but the cable is really gimmicky so I'm glad mine is built in

Now that I think about it, I can run Assassin's Creed from storage, but it's much slower, so I prefer to use the disc.

As for movies, I really don't mind using DVDs because we already own a big collection. And even though Win8 doesn't natively play DVDs, VLC works just fine

EDIT: Plus, a lot of software still comes on DVDs

• Reply 137 of 146
    As for movies, I really don't mind using DVDs because we already own a big collection. And even though Win8 doesn't natively play DVDs, VLC works just fine

Most people seem to have large collections of DVDs but I don't know of anyone that plays them on their laptops. Wouldn't you want these to be smaller files that use less power? Even with a cheap USB thumbdrive you can you hold plenty of movies if you want them for when you travel and don't have the room to spare on your HDD.

What SW comes on DVDs that doesn't come as a digital download?
  • Reply 138 of 146
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    asterion wrote: »
    Yes. Nice ad.
    But I can't help thinking that the marketing suits producing these technology ads (and not just Apple's) are getting more and more overblown in their pretentious claims...

They're becoming almost as satire-friendly as perfume ads!

Advertising is about sending a message and this message is dictated by the company to the ad agency. The message identifies what's important to the group of people who direct the company. Apple's most important message is the same as it has always been, which is that the form of the technology doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it comes in a tower or a tablet or a phone. Without human interaction, those products do nothing. Apple's products are built in the service of people and the way they are built shows the level of care they have for other people. This ad continues to show that they are getting their message across clearly to their marketing teams and the marketing teams understand how to present it.

Windows users like that returning banned guy who just got deleted again and this guy:
    emes wrote:
    We have an external ODD, but the cable is really gimmicky so I'm glad mine is built in

Now that I think about it, I can run Assassin's Creed from storage, but it's much slower, so I prefer to use the disc.

don't really understand what that means because they are drawn to Windows for the same reason the people who make Windows and Windows PCs make their products. The attitude of the users resonates with the manufacturers.

The quote in the ad asks 'the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse, what will your verse be?'. Their dissent is their contribution, their unwillingness to change. Just as evolution tries to discard genetic faults, as a whole, people will decide what's important to them and reject what isn't.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 139 of 146
    Quote:

Most people seem to have large collections of DVDs but I don't know of anyone that plays them on their laptops. Wouldn't you want these to be smaller files that use less power? Even with a cheap USB thumbdrive you can you hold plenty of movies if you want them for when you travel and don't have the room to spare on your HDD.

What SW comes on DVDs that doesn't come as a digital download?

Meh. I always seem to lose my flash drives. I guess we just didn't have the time to convert them.

I dunno. Software downloads take a long time.

• Reply 140 of 146
    tbell wrote: »
    Further, your position can be viewed in the inverse and is not logically sound. If he claims he doesn't have any problems  using mobile Safari, why should he assume his experience is not the norm as you are doing? If you are claiming to have a perfectly normal Apple mobile device, aren't you also implying the opposite of what he is claiming? Namely, that a large percentage of devices are effected by the issue. 

Thank you for you comment but, no, I believe my point was logically sound. You see it's pretty clear that this person never wanted to discuss the issue (regardless as to whether this is the appropriate forum or not) and only wanted to attack a viewpoint he/she didn't want to hear.