WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c

Comments

• Reply 61 of 228
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

This is what's obvious to me:

What will disappear is the 4S with it's 30-pin connector. The 5c will become the bottom-tier phone. The 5S will become the 5SC (a 5S with plastic casing to reduce cost) as the mid-tier phone. And the new 6 will be the top-tier phone with the White/Space/Gold metal options.

A slightly larger screen-sized 6 is possible, but not certain.

And the 5c will be the bottom tier phone with China Mobile compatibility which the 4's and the original 5 do not have.

• Reply 62 of 228
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As recently as mid-2012 the WSJ rated rated as more believable than the New York Times. I can't find more recent evidence that it's changed.

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/16/further-decline-in-credibility-ratings-for-most-news-organizations/

The survey you quoted is obviously nonsense.  It ranks Local TV News as the most credible news source!!!!  And then goes on to rank the "Daily Newspaper You Know Best" and "ABC News" well above the NY Times and NPR.  Clearly this survey only demonstrates that there are vast hoards of ignorant people out there who don't know the difference between serious journalism and commercial or ideologically biased garbage.  Just because McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the world does not make it the best restaurant.

• Reply 63 of 228
    I would get a 4.8 but nothing bigger than that..
    I hope they do so i can change my 5..
  • Reply 64 of 228
    ... and yet, the contrary seems to be a common thread when people discuss Android phone users on AI.

Intelligent people know this. :D
  • Reply 65 of 228
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    I don't think this has anything to do with shorting the stock - in fact, Apple will NOT disclose individual model sales; they will just proclaim that all is fine in another record-breaking year, while quietly throwing the 5C into the dustbin of history. 
    How ridiculous. You don't quietly throw the 5C "into the dustbin of history". If Apple stops producing that model there won't be anything quiet about it. Every tech site will be reporting will glee on its failure. And we'll get the typical "I told you so" and "Steve wouldn't have released this" comments.
  • Reply 66 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm pretty certain, that last year's "breakthroughs" for an "s" model, were not lost on anyone. TouchID is immensely popular and is not a flop or gimmick...it works, and has dramatically improved the user experience. As has the camera.

I'm sure the the M7 motion coprocessor is lost on just about everyone, as no one knows what it is. But I think we can agree that was never meant to drive sales, the way TouchID did.

I agree that TouchId is a cool thing, and when it came out I was really excited, but my experience is that it is not a night-and-day type improvement . I am sure as time goes on, more apps will use the API, and it will seem indispensable, but not yet.

• Reply 67 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cws wrote: »
    The survey you quoted is obviously nonsense.  

You're certainly welcome to supply your own evidence for your claim of the New York Times being the most respected newspaper in the world. On the surface that sounds like a nonsense claim to me, but perhaps you have something to support it. :\
  • Reply 68 of 228
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    itpromike wrote: »
    All I can say is if Motorola can do it with the Moto X then surely Apple can... If Apple can't, then they aren't the crowning jewel of design we all thought they were.
    What does screen size have to do with being the crown jewel of design? I doubt the iPhone not being 5" is because Apple doesn't know how to reduce bezel. They've already done it with iPad mini and Air.
  • Reply 69 of 228
    What BS. I'm sure Apple has a prototype being developed in every size and shape, and that almost every possible vendor "knows" what Apple is going to do.
    If AppleInsider continues accepting "news" from unnamed sources, they'll lose me. What a waste of bandwidth.
  • Reply 70 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How ridiculous. You don't quietly throw the 5C "into the dustbin of history". If Apple stops producing that model there won't be anything quiet about it. Every tech site will be reporting will glee on its failure. And we'll get the typical "I told you so" and "Steve wouldn't have released this" comments.

Actually, I don't think Steve would have released it.

• Reply 71 of 228

I think the 5C is great.  I much prefer the solid plastic over the "metal" feeling of the 5S.  The look and feel of the 5C is spot on in my view.

• Reply 72 of 228
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're certainly welcome to supply your own evidence for your claim of the New York Times being the most respected newspaper in the world. On the surface that sounds like a nonsense claim to me, but perhaps you have something to support it. image

Okay.  Here is your evidence. The Pulitzer Prize is the gold standard for determining the journalistic quality of an American news publication. The NY Times has won far more Pulitzers than any other paper.  The survey you cite is a mere popularity contest, on the order to the voting one might see on American Idol.  The members of the Pulitzer Committee are experts, focused on evaluating the true journalistic excellence of a publication and its reporting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pulitzer_Prizes_awarded_to_The_New_York_Times

• Reply 73 of 228
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

It is extremely likely the 5s will become the 6c later this year. They will very likely continue making another iteration of a new  4" model as well and at most might increase that to 4.3" if they could keep the entire size of the phone around the same size. This will be the phone for people that feel one handed use is paramount and essential. It makes very little sense for Apple to abandon the very successful small display market where they dominate. 

A lot of other people don't really care about one handed use at all. People that spend far more time with apps than just a quick 10 or 15 second glance likely use even the current iPhone with two hands. These people would love to have a larger display since their entire user experience would be greatly improved.  Many apps work better or only in landscape mode which requires two hand use. For this group Apple will likely make an additional model around 4.8" to 5".  I am not sure if in 2015 Apple would put the larger iPhone in a plastic case and sell it cheaper like the 5c but that would give Apple 4 distinct models. 2 flagship current tech/aluminum and 2 older tech/plastic/cheaper. 

As far as the resolution of the larger iPhone, most people really don' care whether it is HD, Quad HD or something else entirely. Only tech nerds whose opinions Apple ignores are interested in that debate. They simply want a larger display that matches or exceeds the current display.  Were it not for the rather large chin and forehead of the iPhone I believe Apple would have gone larger before now. The circular home button and placement of the front facing camera makes it harder to make a 4.8" iPhone that is not quite a big longer than the Samsung SIII for example. The forehead at least is a relatively minor adjustment simply move the camera but I don't see any easy option for reducing the chin area occupied by the home button without incorporating it in to the display. 

I for one will be putting my gold 5s on sale as soon as we get closer to a release and the rumors are far more substantial. I have been waiting for a 4.5" or larger iPhone for many years and find 4" extremely frustrating to use. 

• Reply 74 of 228
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Nothing more amusing than watching some clown put a tablet up to his ear, oh wait it is a phone.

WSJ analysts are the clowns!

You gotta wake up, here. It is not a phone. It used to be. Now it is a device for lack of a better word, that is also a phone. The Motorola Razr seemed over sized when I first got one. The iPhone seemed ridiculously large when I first got one. 

• Reply 75 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cws wrote: »
    Okay.  Here is your evidence. The Pulitzer Prize is the gold standard for determining the journalistic quality of an American news publication. The NY Times has won far more Pulitzers than any other paper.  The survey you cite is a mere popularity contest, on the order to the voting one might see on American Idol.  The members of the Pulitzer Committee are experts, focused on evaluating the true journalistic excellence of a publication and its reporting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pulitzer_Prizes_awarded_to_The_New_York_Times

That's certainly impressive too, tho it's been said by more than a few that personal popularity contributes too much to it.. Going simply by Pulitzer Awards then Bloomberg must be downright horrid as they've never won a single Pulitzer. Ever.

Thanks for the reply tho. Very often the challenged poster disappears or changes the subject. Instead you went on a search. Well done sir.
  • Reply 76 of 228
    When was the last time Apple released a new product and immediately dropped it? No way Apple abandons the plastic colors. I'm sure parts of the Journal's predictions will come true.

(SIDENOTE: I call any article, referring to Apple, "a prediction" any time I see "unnamed source". To me that's the writer saying "I think this will happen" and there actually is no source. Same as a monkey throwing poo on a wall%u2026 some of it sticks)

That said%u2026 it would be newsworthy if it were true. And since we are all making fun predictions here are mine.

1. A larger iPhone is coming, but only one model.
    2a. 5c may not be called "5c", but the plastic-backed model with the same size screen will remain.
    2b. 5c upgrade will be know as "iPhone C" (color options remain).
    3. Every iOS device upgrade in 2014 except maybe the "c" will get finger print security treatment.
    4. Every iOS device will get 64-bit chip.
    5. Every iOS device will get a wi-fi upgrade.
    6. I will start writing for the Wall Street Journal.

(I'm sure I get one or two pieces of poo to stick on my prediction wall).
  • Reply 77 of 228

I'm so tired of this "bigger=better" meme.

Frankly, I haven't upgraded to a 5, 5c, OR a 5s because of the size increase.  Not only do I not need it, I don't want it.

• Reply 78 of 228
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Didn't Apple swiftly discontinuing their first best-selling iPod mini after a year? Which by the way was also the first model in that family offered in a rainbow palette of colors. So actually it wouldn't be unorthodox for Apple to do the same to the 5C.
  • Reply 79 of 228
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You gotta wake up, here. It is not a phone. It used to be. Now it is a device for lack of a better word, that is also a phone. The Motorola Razr seemed over sized when I first got one. The iPhone seemed ridiculously large when I first got one. 

You are absolutely right. I would love to see statistics for call usage vs. looking at the display usage for the current iPhone. I would wager most people spend far more time looking at the display than holding it to their ear. I would even love to see some statistics for one handed vs. two handed use for the current 4" iPhone. I tend to prop the phone in the palm of my left hand then use my right hand for touching the display and home button since that is more comfortable and also less risk of dropping it. But who the hell cares what it looks like if you do hold it up to your ear? Even the Note 3 is smaller than most landline phones and for people that insecure use the headphones that Apple includes or buy a bluetooth headset. 

• Reply 80 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Apple sells more 5c's those most other companies sell of all their phones combined. These Wall Street clowns are clueless as usual.

"Apple does not break down sales of the iPhone on a model-by-model basis, leaving actual sales of the iPhone 5c to customers unknown."