Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'

1356710

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 187
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,795member

    I think they made a mistake by not offering black as an option. The colors to me seem a bit gaudy. I think darker shades would have had a larger appeal. But at the end of the day why not pay $100 more for a faster phone with far more features as well as being in a metal case. I think there had to be around $150 difference for people to choose a 5c. Of course Apple hopes customers will go for a 5s, but how many that are very price conscious didn't go with a Nexus 5 or similar instead that is $200 cheaper but arguably as good if not better phone. 

  • Reply 42 of 187

    Maybe if the colours didn't look so much like an easter bonnet they would have sold better?

  • Reply 43 of 187
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,795member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robotstorm View Post

     

    Maybe if the colours didn't look so much like an easter bonnet they would have sold better?


     

    I said the same thing above. I think a nice Royal blue would have been far more appealing than the olympic blue they chose. Something like this. 

     

  • Reply 44 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Except the cheap phone was not cheap...  they tried to sell it at a premium price... fail
    When did Apple ever commit to building a cheap phone?
  • Reply 45 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I said the same thing above. I think a nice Royal blue would have been far more appealing than the olympic blue they chose. Something like this. 

    <img alt="" class="lightbox-enabled" data-id="37826" data-type="61" src="http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37826/width/200/height/400/flags/LL" style="; width: 200px; height: 200px">
    Colors are easy to rectify. Perhaps Apple didn't want colors that looked too similar to Windows 8 phones. If the 5C sticks around I expect the color offerings will be different.
  • Reply 46 of 187
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

    Yeah that's what he said. The cheap phone wasnt cheap. It just looked cheap.

     

    Either you’re illiterate or you didn’t read the post.

  • Reply 47 of 187
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    There was a time when Apple used plastic cases on everything including their top of the line PowerBook and Power Mac G4. Now plastic is low-rent.

    If I recall correctly, even Scott Forstall was made from plastic, and look what happened to him.

    600
  • Reply 48 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 4,998member
    Either you’re illiterate or you didn’t read the post.

    Your post or his? I understood both. He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap. He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy. So a cheap(/gaudy) phone should be cheap(/inexpensive).

    You're a strange fish. I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price. I was disappointed with the price. In retrospect both of us were right ( if the 5 were continued and sold as well or better than the 5C it would have made better margins because of the sunk production costs).

    But in your rush to defend all things Apple/Cook you forget your previous arguments.
  • Reply 49 of 187
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,937member
    IT WAS NOT A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT MARKETED AS A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CHEAP PHONE.


    What, will we still be saying this a year later? Get it through your skulls. Come on.

    But it was made out of cheap plastic.
  • Reply 50 of 187
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

    He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap.

     

    Who says it looked cheap?!

     

    He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy.


     

    Oh, yes. That’s obviously what you were doing¡

     

    I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price.


     

    Wow, I’ve certainly never been wrong before, huh¡

     

    I was disappointed with the price.


     

    That’s you.

  • Reply 51 of 187
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Touch ID did not excite me. It's more tedious to use than a passcode.
  • Reply 52 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 4,998member
    Wow, I’ve certainly never been wrong before, huh¡

    My new sig.
  • Reply 53 of 187
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post



    Touch ID did not excite me.

     

    You don't get excited when you get Touchid?

  • Reply 54 of 187
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,795member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    Your post or his? I understood both. He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap. He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy. So a cheap(/gaudy) phone should be cheap(/inexpensive).



    You're a strange fish. I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price. I was disappointed with the price. In retrospect both of us were right ( if the 5 were continued and sold as well or better than the 5C it would have made better margins because of the sunk production costs).



    But in your rush to defend all things Apple/Cook you forget your previous arguments.

    Everyone understood what you meant. Well, everyone except the person that called you illiterate apparently. Perhaps you need to be more sarcastic and use those childish ¡ marks to get your point across. 

  • Reply 55 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 4,998member
    The funny thing about TS is when is not in full defend Apple mode he can be sensible enough. He was right about plastic iPhones.

    He doesn't get that you can like apple and criticise the leadership.

    Anyway I am disappointed with Cook so far but expect great things this year. Now. To bed.
  • Reply 56 of 187
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,819member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

     

    That's 'caus it's too expensive... why buy the 5C when you can pay a little more to get the 5S?


     

    Why is it considered expensive while it's actually the same as iPhone 5 which was suppose to be slashed price to the same ($99) if it wasn't discontinued? The plastic back replacing metal one wasn't cheaper to produce, just easier. If Apple kept iPhone 5 at $99, it's not considered expensive in people's misconception (because they think the plastic back cost $99 less to produce and so iPhone 5c should've been free...duh!) 

  • Reply 57 of 187
    Everyone called me a hater when it first came out, but the price difference simply wasn't great enough between the 5c and the 5s. If the off-contract price of the 5c had been around $350 or $400 Apple would have had a hit on their hands. I was in the market for a new for on Virgin Mobile, and if the 5c had been available in that range I would have seriously considered it. As it was I went with the Galaxy S3.
  • Reply 58 of 187

    From another thread:

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

     

    I just find it funny that people who don't like something, have to convince themselves that it's wrong and is failing. I've seen this reaction with the 5c as well as iOS 7 - as with any new and drastic changes made to most things in life.


     

    You see, MJ, it's not about me not liking something. "Sometimes" other people are just correct about their assessment of a situation. Not everything that Apple makes has that golden glow... nor does it need to have it. 

  • Reply 59 of 187
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

    Everyone understood what you meant.

     

    No, sorry, they weren’t talking about gaudiness. Grow up.

     

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

    Why is it considered expensive while it's actually the same as iPhone 5 which was suppose to be slashed price to the same ($99) if it wasn't discontinued? The plastic back replacing metal one wasn't cheaper to produce, just easier. If Apple kept iPhone 5 at $99, it's not considered expensive in people's misconception (because they think the plastic back cost $99 less to produce and so iPhone 5c should've been free...duh!) 


     

    Exactly.

  • Reply 60 of 187

    One problem is that I think consumers were confused-even those familiar with iPhone.There appeared to be significant uncertainty about what it was among those who do not follow tech blogs. Apple did not define the 5C as "last years phone", but many others in the press and casual conversation did. However, on the other hand the case was new....then the 4S was still hanging around, and some people new that China had the 4, or something like that. A real marketing and advertising mess. Apple needs to stick with only two form factors. Adjusting the price and colors will only go so far if Apple fails to take more control over the marketing. 

     

    Having said that, I could tell that it wasn't selling well (but wouldn't have dared to say that here). Living in NYC where iPhones are everywhere and being a college professor that comes into contact with a very large number of young adults, I saw only two in the wild (a bright green one that I spotted from a block away and a student had a white one). No one in the class, most of whom had an iPhone-even some 5s and 5Ss had any idea why or how it was different from the 5 or 5s (besides the colors, of course) and could not conceive of its functional value.  The answer to the question, "Why should I buy this?" should not be, "Look at the colors!".

     

    The 5C was new, but it wasn't new. It's cheaper, but it was just as good as the 5/5S...but it really was just as good, but it was $100 cheaper. Any initial curiosity or good will was squandered by confusion and an underlying sense by some that Apple was trying to get one over on them-selling an "old" phone as new.

     

    Personally, the problem I saw with the candy colored plastic cases was not build quality or the perceived sophistication of the colors; it was that those very bright colors shouted, "Hey, I'm that new iPhone, steal me!!!"

     

    Mind you, it is a new phone with some older parts and some newer parts, but that seems to have been lost on most potential consumers....

Sign In or Register to comment.