Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, there was a claim that the iPhone ran UNIX, and just like the 80's calculator, it doesn't

OK.  But would you argue with the assertion that IOS is kind of on par with Windows, and 80's calculators are kind of not on par with Windows?

• Reply 62 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfanning wrote: »
    No, there was a claim that the iPhone ran UNIX, and just like the 80's calculator, it doesn't

1) I have no idea what you meant by the phrase "the iPhone ran UNIX." It's not an app or a service that runs on the OS, it's a specification in which an OS can be certified.

2) It appears that iOS was never specifically certified under SUSv3 but since all apps are loaded via Apple's App Store and peripheral access is limited there is no absolutely no reason for this to transpire specifically for iOS. That said, Darwin is compliant with SUSv3 and since Darwin makes up the core components of iOS your claim that there is no UNIX-like OS in iOS is unfounded. And, yes, UNIX-like is the proper terminology when referring to a BSD system, which includes the SUSv3 certified Mac OS X.
  • Reply 63 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not sure I'm comfortable with mobile phones being placed up against traditional PC's in this data. Adding iPads & Mac's together no problem but adding in iPhones...... You might as well start adding in my calculator wrist watch from the 80's, it's able to compute after all.

Well its not full OS X experience but is still a computer and its just a matter of time until becomes full OS X Computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then why make the iPad at all if it's a redundant piece of hardware?

I decided not to ignore this, when the iPad gets full OS X experience in the future that could only mean bye bye Macbook translation the iPad it's a laptop killer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

when did iOS become certified UNIX?

since 2007

• Reply 64 of 162
    solipsismx wrote: »
    starxd wrote: »
    Of course I remember that Apple and MS have been around longer than Google.., but so what? This isn't the 90s. It's 2014. Some silly old rivalry isn't a valid reason to call cell phones "computers" and then compare sales of hardware against sales of OS licenses. It's just completely meaningless.

Ah, I see the problem. Just because you have neither heard of nor considered that the iPhone and iPad personal computers doesn't mean they don't fit the definition. They are not only more powerful, more versatile, and more useful than "PCs" of the 1990s, but are considerably more personal. You don't count your calculator watch because it's a very limited appliance.

You can count Android, WinPh, and even BB10-based smartphones and tablets in a count for personal computers, which I'm surprised you haven't seen before, but this is clearly not about the share of the market.

If you don't think the iPhone is personal computer then you can't possibly think the iPad is a personal computer which then makes me wonder why you think people are giving up Windows and even Mac OS X)-based personal computers to either solely or mostly use these other devices for tasks they previous used this much bigger, more costly, and less personal devices. Furthermore, if you can't see how the iPhone and iPad are personal computers then you can't consider the Mac a personal computer unless you have invented your own definition (which seems very at this point) that would somehow require an on-screen (mouse) pointer to a be PC (or some other forced definition), which would be odd considering that IBM's branded IBM PC had no GUI at all.

Touché
  • Reply 65 of 162
    imember wrote: »
    saarek wrote: »
    Well its not full OS X experience but is still a computer and its just a matter of time until becomes full OS X Computer
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why make the iPad at all if it's a redundant piece of hardware?

I decided not to ignore this, when the iPad gets full OS X experience in the future that could only mean bye bye Macbook translation the iPad it's a laptop killer
    jfanning wrote: »
    when did iOS become certified UNIX?
    since 2007

Mmm... maybe the tipping point is when Macs get the full iOS experience...
  • Reply 66 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Stupid comparison. You could just as easily say Samsung sold more computers than apple and Microsoft partners combined.

No they didn't "sold more than Apple" if you don't include Samsung feauture phones which i call it lame fi$#ud S#$$$$$$$$ piss of cr$$$ fuc!n$ hate you samsong!!!!! believe me i used one 

• Reply 67 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... maybe the tipping point is when Macs get the full iOS experience...

Well yeah iOS does have some really awesome feautures like iPhone 4S's Siri, Air Play, Air Print, iCloud and more because of that i became Apple fan, but.. they did use Mac to make those features, don't get me wrong i like both of them but each one edges the other one 

OS X needs more Apps in Mac App Store, Siri and more features like iOS

iOS needs PRO Apps, True Multitasking and Hardware improvements like 100% sensitive Multi-Touchscreen so you can draw with your own fingers

• Reply 68 of 162
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Its pretty funny to count all those idevices as computers until you look at the average selling price...

Apple a.s.p. is greater than the a.s.p. of the windows Pc's, pretty disturbing stats :-)

• Reply 69 of 162
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Exactly. This is an incredibly silly comparison.

actually, no, because of the average selling price. If you count all of Samsung sales, they will probably sell more than all of the windows pc's, but there average selling price is going to be lower. In Apple case, the a.s.p. is higher, making the comparison significant....

• Reply 70 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mistercow wrote: »
    It's not about whether an iPhone/iPod is considered a personal computer.  It's about similar functions.  People can use an iPad to replace a laptop/desktop - the same can't be said for an iPhone/iPod.  I doubt any significant number of people only use their iPhone/iPod as their computing device.  That's why it's silly to count them when comparing with Windows pcs.

Lots of people use a PC to check email, surf the web, or play games. You can do that on idevices.
  • Reply 71 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Stupid comparison. You could just as easily say Samsung sold more computers than apple and Microsoft partners combined.

Not all Sammy's are smart phones.
    MS and Apple are not related so that would be a useless grouping.
  • Reply 72 of 162
    Quote:

Apple's rapidly expanding iOS platform was extended to iPad, which worked like a larger format iPod touch

Not this old lie again!  Please God, the iPad is NOTHING like the iPod Touch!  It is a whole new experience!

• Reply 73 of 162
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Such sales volumes were unthinkable for Apple just a few years ago. While the company's Mac desktops and notebooks were growing significantly in the mid 2000s, they still remained in the realm of a million or two systems each year...

I don't think that is a true statistic.

Thompson

• Reply 74 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It's actually a very nice computer, a whole lot better than a lot of those garbage netbooks and ultra whatevers the PC crowd likes to try and say are computers.

Seriously.  The iPad is twice the computer compared with any ultrabook that the PC crowd is crowing about.

• Reply 75 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Totally correct. An iPhone 5s would blow an IBM PC out of the water and an IBM XT ... and so on ... , hell they were only 8 bit not to mention the crappy OS they ran!

The biggest difference is that the PC would run any software that was written for it, but on the 5s, you can only run good software that Apple allows you to run.  So it is better.

• Reply 76 of 162
    undefined
  • Reply 77 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not sure I'm comfortable with mobile phones being placed up against traditional PC's in this data. Adding iPads & Mac's together no problem but adding in iPhones...... You might as well start adding in my calculator wrist watch from the 80's, it's able to compute after all.

Yeah, if you are going to go that route, shouldn't all MS devices be included? What about servers and Windows embedded products? Of course, if that was done, the numbers would be back in MS's favor and since this is nothing more than pointless link bait, that wouldn't work. Absolute garbage.

-kpluck

• Reply 78 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

No, it is a fair comparison. Internet data shows that iOS users actually use their devices as real computers. (Like me writing this post on an iPhone). The evidence suggest otherwise for Samdung devices.

Internet data is collected through ads.  Just means iOS users visit web pages more.  Not sure how that equates to using an iOS as "real computers. " Most people consider real computer use to be at least word processing and not just browsing the internet and shopping.

• Reply 79 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I know plenty of people that use their iPhones more in a week than they ever used their WinPCs in months.

2) You think netbook owners are using them more than an iPhone owners?

3) Speaking of similar functions, that's exactly right and the reason why your position is woefully inaccurate. I can't explain why you would argue that Safari, Mail, App Store apps, etc. between the iPad and iPhone are so dissimilar that people can't do anything useful on the iPhone but that's your issue and you need to simply get over it.

How many word documents or spreadsheets have you created using your iPhone.  I'm talking like actual documents not like 3 sentences. I'm pretty sure that number is fairly small if even any.  If all you're using a computer for is browsing the internet and checking email and going on the app store, then sure, an iPad and iPhone are pretty much the same thing.  

It's not about how often you use it.  It's about how you're using it.  And again, this is assuming you at least do some kind of word processing or spreadsheet work and not just browse the internet or check your email.

• Reply 80 of 162

If you want to add meaning to the metric commingling mobile and desktop operating systems, it's the now commonplace knowledge of Objective-C and Xcode. Software had for years been a hurdle for OSX. Not only is this not an issue anymore (except in some specialized situations) the opposite is true; there is a lack of apps for Windows Mobile. Even the long-standing joke about the games section at an Apple Store will soon disappear and is quite the opposite when comparing iOS to Windows Mobile.