Apple, Inc. sold more computers than all of Microsoft's Windows PC partners in December quarter

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If you look at what the Notes app can do it's definitely a word processor.

That's a valid point. It supports many multimedia content, like movies, photos, charts...the lot. Yes, one can tag the Notes app as a Word Processor, but I don't think mistercow will acknowledge this.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's a valid point. It supports many multimedia content, like movies, photos, charts...the lot. Yes, one can tag the Notes app as a Word Processor, but I don't think mistercow will acknowledge this.

I had thought it supports images and videos but I just tested it and couldn't get a screenshot to post in it but I feel certain that I've done that in the past.

I was able to copy a spreadsheet over and it does allow for a great number of font options to be displayed as noted by my quick-and-dirty example (below).

Clearly it's highly limited as it's designed to be for taking notes which means Apple could have stopped at just making it a plaintext editor/viewer, but they didn't.
  • Reply 123 of 162
    ^ post

I could've sworn it supported video as well, just tried it and it merely displays the movie icon and syncs over from Mac to Mac. On iOS it displays an unusable paperclip. Photos do work. And way more fonts than the initial 5 on iPhone OS X
  • Reply 124 of 162
    I could've sworn it supported video as well, just tried it and it merely displays the movie icon and syncs over from Mac to Mac. On iOS it displays an unusable paperclip. Photos do work. And way more fonts than the initial 5 on iPhone OS X

I couldn't get a screenshot to show up, just the paperclip. I wonder if this is a change they enacted with iOS 7.

Regardless, it's still a rich-text editor.
  • Reply 125 of 162
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    <h2 style="color:rgb(60,76,108);margin-top:1.75em;padding-bottom:2px;">From:</h2>

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/TheiOSEnvironment/TheiOSEnvironment.html
    <h2 style="color:rgb(60,76,108);margin-top:1.75em;padding-bottom:2px;">"Specialized System Behaviors</h2>

<p style="margin-bottom:.833em;">The iOS system is based on the same technologies used by Mac OS X, namely the Mach kernel and BSD interfaces. Thus, iOS apps run in a UNIX-based system and have full support for threads, sockets, and many of the other technologies typically available at that level. However, there are places where the behavior of iOS differs from that of Mac OS X."</p>

There is a difference between UNIX like and UNIX
  • Reply 126 of 162
    OK.  But would you argue with the assertion that IOS is kind of on par with Windows, and 80's calculators are kind of not on par with Windows?

I'm not really sure what you are getting at, but I wouldn't class Windows (as in the PC operating system) in the same category as iOS, one is a smartphone/tablet OS, and the other is a PC/Laptop OS
  • Reply 127 of 162
    1) I have no idea what you meant by the phrase "the iPhone ran UNIX." It's not an app or a service that runs on the OS, it's a specification in which an OS can be certified.

I was referring to a claim made on the first page.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/162047/apple-inc-sold-more-computers-than-all-of-microsofts-windows-pc-partners-in-december-quarter#post_2472044
  • Reply 128 of 162
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Yeah, if you are going to go that route, shouldn't all MS devices be included? What about servers and Windows embedded products? Of course, if that was done, the numbers would be back in MS's favor and since this is nothing more than pointless link bait, that wouldn't work. Absolute garbage.

-kpluck

Yes.  And if anyone bothered to read the original blog post folks would notice that Windows + WinPhones > OSX + iOS by a smidgen.

That's for the holiday qtr to boot where Apple dominates.

The point is that mobile is the future.  Point made even if he cheated a bit.  There should be little doubt in anyone's mind that tablets will become the dominant form of personal computing.

I agree with Saarek that I wouldn't count phones.  It's not a viable primary computing replacement given that even when the apps exist it's very hard to content creation on such a small screen.  The only ones that I would count are the Motorolla Atrix line that could dock into a laptop and maybe the phablets. Maybe.

Certainly the CPU and OS are sufficient on an iPhone to replace a computer but the human computer interface isn't.  The iPad is because I can dock it to Apple's keyboard dock or a variety of keyboard cases and replace my computer.  Maybe even without the keyboard although that's a harder case to make since you lose a lot of the available screen resolution to the onscreen keyboard.  Even the mini can do this although the screen is a little small at keyboard range.  Adding a mouse or trackpad would be nice too but viable without it.

My iPhone 5 not so much.  The screen is too small.  If you want to argue that you could hook it up to a HDTV using the HDMI connection kit I'm simply going to laugh at you.  If you think using phone apps blown on a tablet is stupid this is much worse.

• Reply 129 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Internet data is collected through ads.  Just means iOS users visit web pages more.  Not sure how that equates to using an iOS as "real computers. " Most people consider real computer use to be at least word processing and not just browsing the internet and shopping.

Netbooks were just used for internet browsing. So why were they computers and an iPhone isn't?

If anything, the iPhone and iPad gets used more than a netbook because the iPhone has millions of programs that are used for more than just browsing the internet.   The naysayers are defining a real computer as "a device that is used to create word documents."   That's an asinine definition. I use my iPhone and iPad to do just about everything except create word documents, which is why the naysayers pick that as the definition. All of you naysayers can keep sticking your head in the sand.  

• Reply 130 of 162
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes.  And if anyone bothered to read the original blog post folks would notice that Windows + WinPhones > OSX + iOS by a smidgen.

That's for the holiday qtr to boot where Apple dominates.

The point is that mobile is the future.  Point made even if he cheated a bit.  There should be little doubt in anyone's mind that tablets will become the dominant form of personal computing.

I agree with Saarek that I wouldn't count phones.  It's not a viable primary computing replacement given that even when the apps exist it's very hard to content creation on such a small screen.  The only ones that I would count are the Motorolla Atrix line that could dock into a laptop and maybe the phablets. Maybe.

Certainly the CPU and OS are sufficient on an iPhone to replace a computer but the human computer interface isn't.  The iPad is because I can dock it to Apple's keyboard dock or a variety of keyboard cases and replace my computer.  Maybe even without the keyboard although that's a harder case to make since you lose a lot of the available screen resolution to the onscreen keyboard.  Even the mini can do this although the screen is a little small at keyboard range.  Adding a mouse or trackpad would be nice too but viable without it.

My iPhone 5 not so much.  The screen is too small.  If you want to argue that you could hook it up to a HDTV using the HDMI connection kit I'm simply going to laugh at you.  If you think using phone apps blown on a tablet is stupid this is much worse.

What makes everyone think that creating Word documents is the definition of a personal computer.  The iPhone can create all kinds of content.  Calendar entries, pictures, videos, emails, texts, tweets, social network entries, video game play, etc.  Why does all this content have to take a back seat to Word and Excel spreadsheets?  I think the content created on an iPhone or iPad creates more value to its user in terms of enjoyment than Word and Excel spreadsheets. Your definition of a personal computer is fucked up.

• Reply 131 of 162
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Clearly it's highly limited as it's designed to be for taking notes which means Apple could have stopped at just making it a plaintext editor/viewer, but they didn't.

I wonder if they won’t replace Notes with an iOS version of TextEdit in the near future (given that TextEdit has direct iCloud support but no ability to:

1. see those documents on iCloud.com

2. see those documents on an iDevice.

Replacing Notes with TextEdit would give a basic text… wait, why? Pages is free now. Apple doesn’t need to do that. Never mind. I was going to say “have an option to take yellow notes, just as before” but they don’t need it at all.

• Reply 132 of 162

I also think Apps are themselves content.  In other words, the content that is created on the iOS platform is the content that gets uploaded to the App Store or the Cloud.  In that regard, there is vastly more content being created on the iOS platform than Microsoft.  I have about 5 apps I use on my Mac and dozens of apps I use on my iPhone and iPad. 

What authority figure deemed content creation by the user more superior than content creation by software developers?

• Reply 133 of 162
    I wonder if they won’t replace Notes with an iOS version of TextEdit in the near future (given that TextEdit has direct iCloud support but no ability to:

Replacing Notes with TextEdit would give a basic text… wait, why? Pages is free now. Apple doesn’t need to do that. Never mind. I was going to say “have an option to take yellow notes, just as before” but they don’t need it at all.

Yeah, I don't see that happening. As useful as TextEdit I'd think it's considered archaic from Apple's PoV, but I expect it to stay on the Mac for foreseeable future.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think Apple would like Pages to become the universal word processing software.  Apple didn't put much effort into Pages between 2009 and 2013 because it wasn't clear how Pages would ever supplant MS Word since Apple has a closed platform. Apple couldn't achieve universal compatibility unless it took 100% of the PC market, which clearly is NEVER going to happen.  However, they have cracked the nut so to speak by making Pages 100% compatible between Mac, iOS, and iCloud.  Everyone can have Pages with iCloud and Apple doesn't have to sacrifice the benefits of a closed platform.   If I were MS, I would be very worried about Pages in the cloud.  All Apple needs to do is provide business features like line numbering, paragraph numbering, document comparison, format painting, etc. and enterprise will have no problem moving over to iOS. The iPad is Apple's future and just because it isn't growing as fast as iPhone doesn't mean it is less important. It's actually more important as a platform technology. 

• Reply 135 of 162
    ash471 wrote: »
    I think Apple would like Pages to become the universal word processing software.  Apple didn't put much effort into Pages between 2009 and 2013 because it wasn't clear how Pages would ever supplant MS Word since Apple has a closed platform. Apple couldn't achieve universal compatibility unless it took 100% of the PC market, which clearly is NEVER going to happen.  However, they have cracked the nut so to speak by making Pages 100% compatible between Mac, iOS, and iCloud.  Everyone can have Pages with iCloud and Apple doesn't have to sacrifice the benefits of a closed platform.   If I were MS, I would be very worried about Pages in the cloud.  All Apple needs to do is provide business features like line numbering, paragraph numbering, document comparison, format painting, etc. and enterprise will have no problem moving over to iOS. The iPad is Apple's future and just because it isn't growing as fast as iPhone doesn't mean it is less important. It's actually more important as a platform technology. 

I do take issue with how Apple updates this productivity suite. I have no problem with iWork — do they even call it that anymore? — not being as robust as MS Office and I really like the current move to keep the feature set between platforms (Mac, iCloud, iOS) the same, but I don't like that they have so many dry spells and seemingly play chutes-and-ladders where they take these huge steps backwards in functionality. I would much rather they have a dedicated iWork team that would release only a few, incremental, and platform-balanced feature updates each and every year. Hopefully the move to make this free with the perhaps of a Mac of iOS-based iDevice is a sign of good things to come.
  • Reply 136 of 162
    I couldn't get a screenshot to show up, just the paperclip. I wonder if this is a change they enacted with iOS 7.

I just went to iCloud.com and saw the .mov icon in my Notes. Double clicking on it downloads the video.

Still, on iOS I could've sworn it used to play the video as well. Perhaps I'm mistaking it for a gif, which doesn't seem to sync either. Whatever, still a great app rich-text editor. Though I do get an occasional duplicate of a note that I've edited. After I've established the most recent on one all 3 devices (phone, pad, desk) I delete the dupe.
  • Reply 137 of 162
    I just went to iCloud.com and saw the .mov icon in my Notes. Double clicking on it downloads the video.

Still, on iOS I could've sworn it used to play the video as well. Perhaps I'm mistaking it for a gif, which doesn't seem to sync either. Whatever, still a great app rich-text editor. Though I do get an occasional duplicate of a note that I've edited. After I've established the most recent on one all 3 devices (phone, pad, desk) I delete the dupe.

Videos, images, and animated GIFs do work in iMessages.

Speaking of iMessages I do have one big complaint about it. On the Mac you can send a (formatted) hypertext hyperlink (e.g.: www.apple.com as Check this out.) and it will go through Apple's iMessage servers just fine and work for recipients that have used a Mac to read the message. But iOS devices will just plaintext saying 'Check this out.' Even if Apple didn't want to make these hypertext hyperlinks they could at least strip out the hypertext on the device side to show you the link. This seems very sloppy to me.
  • Reply 138 of 162

Videos, images, and animated GIFs do work in iMessages.

Speaking of iMessages I do have one big complaint about it. On the Mac you can send a (formatted) hypertext hyperlink (e.g.: www.apple.com as Check this out.) and it will go through Apple's iMessage servers just fine and work for recipients that have used a Mac to read the message. But iOS devices will just plaintext saying 'Check this out.' Even if Apple didn't want to make these hypertext hyperlinks they could at least strip out the hypertext on the device side to show you the link. This seems very sloppy to me.

That's a valid point on the hyperlinks. Do they have a feedback page for that? I couldn't find it...
  • Reply 139 of 162

if the purpose of the article (by including phones) is to show that MS's dominance has been usurped then surely it is Android that has taken the crown rather than MS's older adversary?

Or is the total of Android devices (phones, tablets, notebooks, watches, cars, media players, etc) lower?

And in light of the fact that most market analysts, such as Gartner, include Symbian as a smartphone then I guess it is possible that MS haven't been dominant for over 10 years. 

• Reply 140 of 162
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    ash471 wrote: »
    What makes everyone think that creating Word documents is the definition of a personal computer.  The iPhone can create all kinds of content.  Calendar entries, pictures, videos, emails, texts, tweets, social network entries, video game play, etc.  Why does all this content have to take a back seat to Word and Excel spreadsheets?  I think the content created on an iPhone or iPad creates more value to its user in terms of enjoyment than Word and Excel spreadsheets. Your definition of a personal computer is fucked up.

What is fucked up is your assumption that just because something can do a task at a simple level means it can replace something that does it in a more comprehensive way in an easier fashion.

This is like saying because a semi has the same horsepower engine and similar load capacity that it is a viable dump truck replacement. Sure, if you are willing to compromise on being stupid in using the right tools for the right jobs.

I don't give a shit if the task is writing documents, editing movies/photos or using garage band...a 3.5" screen sucks ass while a 8" screen is viable.

See I can use four letter words too.