Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S. That would almost be a slap in the face to Apple IMO. Still, in my area all I see for new iPhones are 5C's...I have yet to see anyone with a 5S. No one! This is a lower income area so it has to be working, at least in the US where they're subsidized. 

Why would it be a slap in the face for Apple?

(... and why would Cook say that has sold lower than expected? What the hell, do you think I make up this stuff)

• Reply 22 of 116
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

I don't see this as anything more than another supply chain play, and move to finally phase out the 30-pin connector from Apple's new devices.  This simply displaces the 4s as the entry level model (except in India, where the iPhone 4 purportedly remains available) in developed markets, and better optimizes the unused production capacity for the 5c. 

With any move like this under Tim Cook, you have to view it through the supply chain, since that's his background and his area of expertise.

• Reply 23 of 116
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s you. You just don’t get it

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook. Other than that its pretty worthless because there isn't enough space to do anything. They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

• Reply 24 of 116
    Quote:

Yeah, I know. Guess what? They’re not who it’s for.

Then who is it for? To me, its people who cannot afford to shell out money for a phone. That doesn't mean they don't want to do anything with it.

• Reply 25 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook.

WOW. It’s almost as though… huh. It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

Given that updates are only a couple hundred megs, I’m certain they’ll be fine. Because, again, these people don’t care about this sort of thing.

• Reply 26 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why would it be a slap in the face for Apple?

(... and why would Cook say that has sold lower than expected? What the hell, do you think I make up this stuff)

Yes, we know Tim Cook said this. You don't have to keep repeating it. We're not retarded! This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying. Nobody really knows the expectations Apple had with the 5C. 

• Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:

WOW. It’s almost as though… huh. It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

Given that updates are only a couple hundred megs, I’m certain they’ll be fine. Because, again, these people don’t care about this sort of thing.

It would be exactly what they want until they realize they can't do what they wanted on it because its out of space. Or, maybe they want to do other things with it and then realize that they can't for the same reason. Other than getting their phones over to the lightning connector, this does nothing for a customer. 

The updates are a couple hundred megs to download, but it requires over a GB of space to install. The iOS 7.1 update required I think it was 1.9 GB of free space even though it doesn't that large. I know this, because it made me remove things to install the 7.1 update. 

• Reply 28 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It makes sense to have it replace the iPhone 4S.

Yeah, and get rid of the other capacity 5c iPhones.

• Reply 29 of 116

It would be exactly what they want until they realize they cant do what they wanted

This discussion is over. You’re trying to use tautology to pretend it’s not tautology.

• Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:

This discussion is over. You’re trying to use tautology to pretend it’s not tautology.

HAHA...its over because you can't be mature enough to have a discussion without insulting someone.

• Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:

Yes, we know Tim Cook said this. You don't have to keep repeating it. We're not retarded! This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying. Nobody really knows the expectations Apple had with the 5C. 

... and twice you've said that I implied that it should have shipped as well as the 5s. So I've got to wonder.

... and, yes, we do know Apple's expectations with the 5c. Greater than what they did sell.

• Reply 32 of 116

HAHA...its over because you can't be mature enough to have a discussion without insulting someone.

No, but I’m about to do some insulting. Explain how your use of the iPhone is identical to the use of the other two hundred million iPhone users and how everyone who wants or could potentially want an iPhone needs more than 8GB of space. That has been your argument thus far, so prove it.

• Reply 33 of 116
    Quote:

... and twice you've said that I implied that it should have shipped as well as the 5s. So I've got to wonder.

... and, yes, we do know Apple's expectations with the 5c. Greater than they did sell.

I only said it once...

• Reply 34 of 116
    Quote:

No, but I’m about to do some insulting. Explain how your use of the iPhone is identical to the use of the other two hundred million iPhone users and how everyone who wants or could potentially want an iPhone needs more than 8GB of space. That has been your argument thus far, so prove it.

Oh but I thought this discussion was over? I have yet to see that you have proof that they don't need more than 8GB of space. Its a 2 way street there buddy. 

• Reply 35 of 116
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If it was clear the 4S was doomed I don't remember reading it. And there is no $0 iPhone. And is it doomed? The price point for the lower iPhone 5c seems higher.

In the US Apple store the 8GB 4S is $0 with contract.  In Japan, all carriers offer a 16GB 5S for free with a two year contract.

• Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:

I only said it once...

"I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S."

"This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying."

Twice.

So, now I really am wondering.

• Reply 37 of 116

I have yet to see that you have proof that they don't need more than 8GB of space.

Yeah, you’re just acting like a moron now. You yourself already proved it:

An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook.

Why would you be so foolish as to ask for a use case when you already know one? Keep your argument together, man.

Another question you’ll refuse to answer: Why should people who “don’t use their phone to the fullest” be prevented from buying an iPhone they’d want, as you seem to be demanding?

• Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:

"I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S."

"This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying."

Twice.

So, now I really am wondering.

Keep wondering...

• Reply 39 of 116
    Quote:

Yeah, you’re just acting like a moron now. You yourself already proved it:

Why would you be so foolish as to ask for a use case when you already know one? Keep your argument together, man.

Another question you’ll refuse to answer: Why should people who “don’t use their phone to the fullest” be prevented from buying an iPhone they’d want, as you seem to be demanding?

There we go...there's the immaturity I was talking about. Oh but this discussion is over HAHA. Remember?

• Reply 40 of 116
    It sounds like the coming 8GB iPhone 6 will be the one to go head to head with the Moto G.

Losing 8GB likely saves Apple a dollar or two in production costs, enough to produce a more competitive screen.