Rumor: Apple UI chief Greg Christie set to leave after clashes with Jony Ive [update: confirmed]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

My only complaint with Ive's design is that all the white can be harsh on many users' eyes. I wish iOS offered the option for a true white-on-black UI, not that "inverted colors" business.

I've long been puzzled by this complaint: from my perspective there's hardly any "white" on the phone screen at all. On the "first" home screen there's a couple of mainly white icons but that's about it. And as the underlying wallpaper colors bleed through in the grouping icons they're muted as well....

• Reply 22 of 122
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Yawn!
  • Reply 23 of 122
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Maybe Ive will see the light when the presbyopia starts to kick in. He's currently 47, so it should be any year now. Yeah, sure, the world can wait.

• Reply 24 of 122

There is a problem in Ciderland. Management and staff need to work with their personalities and ensure that all persons understand and control their inner assholes. Sometimes Smarts are difficult to work with, but if they have important assets to contribute, you'd better figure out how to do it. 

• Reply 25 of 122
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member

If Cook were yup to the job he would not have given Mr. Ive all the power to basically make almost everything more difficult to use.  But, even though that is true, at least IOS-7 is unreliable and full of intermittant surprises.

• Reply 26 of 122
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Ive needs to be removed from software UI. I find iOS 7 more difficult to use. There's no ease of use there. Colors are nauseating. Icons are too vague.

Yeah. But my biggest complaint is the way the white borders with controls seem to be there when I don't want them, and not there when I do. For example, if I'm looking at a photo in landscape mode, bars at the top and bottom of the screen obscure part of the picture, and I don't know how to make them disappear. You'd think they'd vanish after a few seconds, but they don't. At least not usually. On the other hand, if I'm looking at a web page, the bar at the bottom that includes the "back" and "close" buttons seems to appear and disappear with some logic that I still don't understand, so if I want to close the page or go back a page, I have to fidget with it at random until the navigation bar appears. I'm sure there's some logic to the way it works, but it's not intuitive. Also, the way the controls obscure the frame when you're taking a picture makes it hard to frame pictures well. I normally think of Apple as being at the forefront of usability, but this stuff is definitely a step backwards from iOS 6. This may be due to the fact that I'm using iOS 7 on a 4S, but it still shouldn't be that bad.

That said, I was recently on vacation and borrowed a friend's old spare Samsung phone running Android from a few years ago, and was shocked at how unusable the thing was. Friends sometimes tease me for being pre-Apple, but I still can't believe how much worse it was than my already low expectations.

When looking at a photo, tap it once. The UI chrome should disappear and the white background should turn black.

• Reply 27 of 122

If yo look at all the other stuff Mr Ive has designed you would have to be a truly weird person to put any of it in your living room.  So far all I can detect in IOS-7 (and increasingly in Mavericks) is design changes to accommodate the tastes of a man who would like to live in a modern office lobby instead of a home.  But at least the system is far less reliable than the predecessors.

Yes.  The vision of one man normally makes a company great.  Ands the reverse is also true.  Placing the power in the hands of the wrong people can destroy a company.  Apple would have done far better if it had consciously attempted to carry on the dream of Mr. Jobs rather than pretend that Mr Cook and Mr Ives were replacements for the drive, genius and singleminded control of Jobs.

It's kind of like Obamacare and Social Security.  Once you get something bad in place it's really, really hard to get rid of it.

• Reply 28 of 122
    The truth is that Jony needs a boss, an editor to do his best work. Steve was that guy. Without anyone to answer to he's swimming in his own pool of perfectionism and fear of failure. There are many examples of similar situations in the film business, music business, etc.. Artists who do their best work when they have someone to answer to, someone to kick them in the ass. But given total freedom and control they flounder.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    I hope Ive doesn't make OS X as flat and contrast free as iOS 7%u2026
  • Reply 30 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Bottom line is Cook put him in charge of Human Interface. Having him oversee it but those employees report to someone else never seemed like a workable solution to me. Now Ive really will own it. And you know what, if it's a disaster then his head will be on the chopping block. If he's bitten off more than he can chew then the haters should be happy because that means his downfall will happen much sooner.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Who is to blame for iOS7 design? I don't know but it is just plain bad. It is the very definition of garish. Sloppy and half ass. Where is the legendary attention to detail? ..and CarPlay looks absolutely grotesque inside luxury cars.

• Reply 32 of 122
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Yeah. But my biggest complaint is the way the white borders with controls seem to be there when I don't want them, and not there when I do. For example, if I'm looking at a photo in landscape mode, bars at the top and bottom of the screen obscure part of the picture, and I don't know how to make them disappear. You'd think they'd vanish after a few seconds, but they don't. At least not usually. On the other hand, if I'm looking at a web page, the bar at the bottom that includes the "back" and "close" buttons seems to appear and disappear with some logic that I still don't understand, so if I want to close the page or go back a page, I have to fidget with it at random until the navigation bar appears. I'm sure there's some logic to the way it works, but it's not intuitive. Also, the way the controls obscure the frame when you're taking a picture makes it hard to frame pictures well. I normally think of Apple as being at the forefront of usability, but this stuff is definitely a step backwards from iOS 6. This may be due to the fact that I'm using iOS 7 on a 4S, but it still shouldn't be that bad.

That said, I was recently on vacation and borrowed a friend's old spare Samsung phone running Android from a few years ago, and was shocked at how unusable the thing was. Friends sometimes tease me for being pre-Apple, but I still can't believe how much worse it was than my already low expectations.

if I'm looking at a photo in landscape mode, bars at the top and bottom of the screen obscure part of the picture, and I don't know how to make them disappear...

just tap the screen...(in the middle on the photo)
  • Reply 33 of 122
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

The chief in industrial design has not released any dramatically new designs since iPhone 4. It is not surprising their market share is crumbling.

That statement makes little sense. Apple has increased its sales every quarter since the iPhone has been released. Considering the volume of sales, why would Apple dramatically change its design of highly successful products like the iPhone.  Back when Apple was less successful, it would frequently change the look of its products, but this was mostly to get Mac diehards to upgrade products that took a long time to need to be replaced. Further, Apple has innovated in different ways. I had an iPhone 4 and 5S in my hand today. It is amazing how much lighter an iPhone 5S is then an iPhone 4. 

• Reply 34 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The truth is that Jony needs a boss, an editor to do his best work. Steve was that guy. Without anyone to answer to he's swimming in his own pool of perfectionism and fear of failure. There are many examples of similar situations in the film business, music business, etc.. Artists who do their best work when they have someone to answer to, someone to kick them in the ass. But given total freedom and control they flounder.
    That's assuming Steve's "editing" was alway right. We're not there so we don't know if there were good things Steve shot down and bad things he approved. And let's not forget that Steve initially faught porting iTunes to Windows, videos on iPods, an App Store for the iPhone, etc. In all those cases he has to be pushed and persuaded that it was the right idea. So this idea that Steve always new best is a fallacy. As far as Ive goes, there is now way he could become good in this role if he only has one foot in or didn't have total control. Now he has that control. And if he fails it's all in him and he has to take the fall for it. Cook gave him the responsibility, now he needs to own it.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yeah, my fear is that Jony Ive is responsible for iOS 7's horrific mess and Christie is leaving because his original UI guidance was destroyed by Ive. But it was that original design that created the success of iOS devices in the first place. I want to know how this utter stupidity of iOS 7 got through even the first round of management meetings. Doesn't anyone at Apple have enough UI education AND power/influence???
  • Reply 36 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

If Cook were yup to the job he would not have given Mr. Ive all the power to basically make almost everything more difficult to use.

Oh, shut up already.

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Yeah, my fear is that Jony Ive is responsible for iOS 7's horrific mess and Christie is leaving because his original UI guidance was destroyed by Ive. But it was that original design that created the success of iOS devices in the first place. I want to know how this utter stupidity of iOS 7 got through even the first round of management meetings. Doesn't anyone at Apple have enough UI education AND power/influence???

You, too.

• Reply 37 of 122
    emericaemerica Posts: 34member
    If iOS 7 is still difficult to use after all these months, perhaps the people that say that are the fools
  • Reply 38 of 122

My My.  this fellow known as Tallest Skil seems to have little to say except that he persistently and consistently disagrees with anyone who writes unfavorably about IOS-7 or Mavericks.  Further, his vocabulary seems a little limited.  "Shut up," is hardly a helpful comment.  I wonder, Tallest, can you accept the concept that not everyone likes whatever it is that you like about IOS-7 and Mavericks?  Can you accept the idea that a good number of long time Apple users are disheartened at the direction the company is taking?  Or are you simply related to Mr. Ive?

• Reply 39 of 122
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I honestly don't understand all the hate leveled at iOS 7. I've grown to like the design aesthetic of the OS, and sure there are some design quirks and oddities, but overall I give it a solid B+. However, most of the design issues seem to be from app developers themselves. Take a popular app like the Associated Press which I use constantly. Just look at this crap:

As for Ive. He's a guru at hardware design, but I hope he's not trying to spread himself too thin by trying to do too much at one time (hardware AND software).

• Reply 40 of 122
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    It's a really bad idea to put hardware design guy in charge of software UI/usability. This is not good for iOS/OS X. iOS 7 is already a step back in many ways in usability and it is a little disconcerting to see Apple shedding people who made the company what it is/was so fast.