Rumor: Apple UI chief Greg Christie set to leave after clashes with Jony Ive [update: confirmed]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That's assuming Steve's "editing" was alway right. We're not there so we don't know if there were good things Steve shot down and bad things he approved. And let's not forget that Steve initially faught porting iTunes to Windows, videos on iPods, an App Store for the iPhone, etc. In all those cases he has to be pushed and persuaded that it was the right idea. So this idea that Steve always new best is a fallacy. As far as Ive goes, there is now way he could become good in this role if he only has one foot in or didn't have total control. Now he has that control. And if he fails it's all in him and he has to take the fall for it. Cook gave him the responsibility, now he needs to own it.

Actually, that's part of what made Apple so successful. If an idea was so darned good that it survived such "editing" by Jobs, then it was practically guaranteed to be a success; in part because it was such a worthwhile idea, in part because those who thought it was a good idea kept after it, and in part because those who had the idea had to keep polishing and improving it to get Steve to accept it. If any old half-baked idea could get through, the resulting products will be half-baked, like Samsung phones. ;)

• Reply 82 of 122

Well I, for one, love iOS 7. Always have. It took me less than half an hour to get used to it. When I went back to using my iPhone 3GS which was running 6, I annoyed at it for not being iOS 7. Apple does well in training users how to quickly get used to their OSes.

I think the rumor is a lot of hoopla over possibly nothing. Drama, drama. Who knows what really went down or whether there was really politics over UI at work here? Move along, folks. Seems like rumor bait to me.

• Reply 83 of 122
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Yeah. But my biggest complaint is the way the white borders with controls seem to be there when I don't want them, and not there when I do. For example, if I'm looking at a photo in landscape mode, bars at the top and bottom of the screen obscure part of the picture, and I don't know how to make them disappear. You'd think they'd vanish after a few seconds, but they don't. At least not usually. On the other hand, if I'm looking at a web page, the bar at the bottom that includes the "back" and "close" buttons seems to appear and disappear with some logic that I still don't understand, so if I want to close the page or go back a page, I have to fidget with it at random until the navigation bar appears. I'm sure there's some logic to the way it works, but it's not intuitive. Also, the way the controls obscure the frame when you're taking a picture makes it hard to frame pictures well. I normally think of Apple as being at the forefront of usability, but this stuff is definitely a step backwards from iOS 6. This may be due to the fact that I'm using iOS 7 on a 4S, but it still shouldn't be that bad.

That said, I was recently on vacation and borrowed a friend's old spare Samsung phone running Android from a few years ago, and was shocked at how unusable the thing was. Friends sometimes tease me for being pre-Apple, but I still can't believe how much worse it was than my already low expectations.
    As others mentioned just tap the photo to remove the top/bottom bars.

In Safari you can tap the very bottom of the screen after the bottom and top bars go away and the navigation bar at the top and the navigation arrow/share/tabs buttons on the bottom show up immediately.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    As others mentioned just tap the photo to remove the top/bottom bars.

In Safari you can tap the very bottom of the screen after the bottom and top bars go away and the navigation bar at the top and the navigation arrow/share/tabs buttons on the bottom show up immediately.
    Try tapping something at the bottom of the Safari window while the bar is hidden (like a link) without having to tap twice (or swipe). Oh wait, you can't. Genius! Such attention to detail!
  • Reply 85 of 122
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Try tapping something at the bottom of the Safari window while the bar is hidden (like a link) without having to tap twice (or swipe). Oh wait, you can't. Genius! Such attention to detail!

Works for me.

Maybe it's the Cheetos dust causing your issues?

• Reply 86 of 122
    sporlo wrote: »
    You can't which is fine with me. If the link isn't at the very bottom of the page (most aren't) then continue swiping until the link is above the "hidden" area. Pretty simple. Once you know it you're used to it.

It actually stops you from tapping those pesky ads that appear at the bottom of most web pages.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    sky king wrote: »
    My My.  this fellow known as Tallest Skil seems to have little to say except that he persistently and consistently disagrees with anyone who writes unfavorably about IOS-7 or Mavericks.  Further, his vocabulary seems a little limited.  "Shut up," is hardly a helpful comment.  I wonder, Tallest, can you accept the concept that not everyone likes whatever it is that you like about IOS-7 and Mavericks?  Can you accept the idea that a good number of long time Apple users are disheartened at the direction the company is taking?  Or are you simply related to Mr. Ive?

He gives your posts the due diligence they deserve.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Agreed. As a 58-year-old with several eye surgeries under my belt, I could use a little more contrast with my UIs, especially iOS 7.

I fear that the eye surgeries won't have had much effect if they were under your belt.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    I agree with those saying Apple no longer pays attention to detail. The details they care about are completely useless crap. My beef with iOS 7 is not that I just don't like how it looks. I've actually grown to appreciate some of the new aesthetics (keyword: some), but its problem is the ridiculous and pretentious changes to the actual UX and UI.

Now we're hearing that Ive just kicked out the guy in charge of the "Human Interface team"? The "Human Interface" is EXACTLY what's wrong with iOS 7.

So by your logic, kicking out the guy in charge of the human interface is a good thing.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    This IU is horrible to the sensibilities of aesthetics...... It look like DOS 3.1 and the circle continues!!!!

At least it don haf the grammar of a jon sebastien
  • Reply 91 of 122
    poke wrote: »
    I don't mind the look of iOS 7 but it's riddled with usability issues, whereas iOS 1-6 was fantastic usability-wise. Did iOS need an updated look? Sure, but it took a hit in usability in the process. I have no idea what's going on inside Apple but the fact is that two people who worked on iOS since its inception and who knew usability inside and out and were obviously responsible for the success of the project have left. The guy who has replaced them has no background in software at all. There are rumours of clashes. Taken together it all paints a bad picture.

I'm not going to pass judgement until I see iOS 8, but this whole sequence of events is disturbing.

Your post is pribbling, leptus-leering and dissembling.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    I'm not ready to write off Apple just yet; but I too am afraid they will embrace theoretical design principles at the expense of real-world human needs and preferences. A pure white slab of a couch that rises instantaneously from the floor to meet my backside as I sit down may be theoretically pure--free from structural adornment, only there when it's time for it to function, and of a hue that is not biased toward any hue but is a combination of all--but such a couch would be uncomfortable to sit in, a pain to keep clean, and never used since I'd be too worried I'd wind up falling to the floor.

Human use isn't the final test of good design, it is the essential starting principle.

Your fear is unwarranted.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Wow, I didn't realize I had that much influence! I have no plans to sell mine either. After 17 years I've grown rather fond of them. If I have a change of heart I'll be sure to announce it here, in case you're watching.

Are you the biggest dick ever, as your user name suggests? It would explain your posts.
  • Reply 94 of 122
    Why impose this false dichotomy? I'm a critic of both of those guys.

Also, there's another false dichotomy in the idea that anyone who dislikes iOS 7 must be longing to return to the good old days of iOS 6. No no no. Is it not possible to make good improvements, yet in the process screw up a lot that never needed to be messed with? That's how I see iOS 7. I'm not looking to go back (in fact there's plenty to complain about in versions 5 & 6 too), I'm just frustrated at the silly new design paradigm (keyword: paradigm. I'm not complaining about specific aesthetics) that seems to be here to stay.

Either stop using Apple or stop posting vacuous comments.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Are you the biggest dick ever, as your user name suggests? It would explain your posts.

The last time I sold one of my computers, the buyer arrived knowing a fair bit about me. I asked how he knew so much and he replied that he did a Google search on my name to see if anyone had any experience buying stuff from me. A potential employer did the same thing, so he already knew more about me than what's on my resume. People outside group participants can see what we write.

• Reply 96 of 122
    Either stop using Apple or stop posting vacuous comments.
    You're right, all criticisms of iOS 7 are vacuous.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    So by your logic, kicking out the guy in charge of the human interface is a good thing.
    You're correct that I poorly explained my reasoning. It's my understanding that Christie would have just accepted the changes proposed by Ive, but that he doesn't want to keep going along with it, which is why he's out. Meaning Ive doesn't even have anyone to oppose him now.

Again, this is lots of speculating and probably oversimplified and possibly not even true. But that's my impression from what I've read.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Works for me.

Maybe it's the Cheetos dust causing your issues?
    I'd be the one complaining to other people about getting food on their phones…
  • Reply 99 of 122
    You can't which is fine with me. If the link isn't at the very bottom of the page (most aren't) then continue swiping until the link is above the "hidden" area. Pretty simple. Once you know it you're used to it.

It actually stops you from tapping those pesky ads that appear at the bottom of most web pages.
    An example is this very website. I tap the quote button, it brings up a "Quote and Reply" button. I tap that. … I tap it again. Then I type my reply.

I don't deny its benefits, but in my experience I'm consistently bothered by how often it gets in my way. Yes I can swipe (in only 1 of 2 directions…) instead of tapping, but that's the same thing anyway: a hindrance to usability. This is surely not the way Apple used to design interfaces.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    pmz wrote: »
    Cue the comments on how Ive will continue to ruin the Apple UI like he did with iOS 7....

What? That's what the trolls on other sites are saying....

Why is that trolling? There are many people who feel that way. I wouldn't go as far as how you put it but I hate what he's done with iOS. Forstall may have been a jerk but he got iOS right. Everyone claims to have disliked his fondness for skeuomorphic design but it made iOS very user friendly and charming.