Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135

Did anyone report missing an arm and leg? Found the loose body parts at the bottom right part of the picture. 

• Reply 62 of 135
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Larger iphone is 3 years overdue. They should have been AHEAD of samsung and the other mfg's with this trend. Not years behind as a slow follower. Sad to see what Apple has become under Cook

The first 5 generations of the iPhone under Steve Jobs (ie. every single generation) was the exact same size. The first iPhone developed under Cook was larger (iPhone 5). GTFO with your FUD. There isn't an iota of evidence that under Jobs a massive phone would have come out sooner. Not an iota. The iPhone is still the best selling smartphone on the planet- what does that tell you about this "trend"? Also, "size" has nothing to do with being ahead or behind. It's a design choice. Apple doesn't give a **** about trends.

• Reply 63 of 135
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Johnny IVes been phoning it in for a while. The material here looks plastic. Produce a giant 5C and the queen will personally fly over & take away the knighthood. Or whatever he has.
  • Reply 64 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Johnny IVes been phoning it in for a while. The material here looks plastic. Produce a giant 5C and the queen will personally fly over & take away the knighthood. Or whatever he has.

Produce a giant 5c and he'll need his manhood taken away.

• Reply 65 of 135
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gwmac wrote: »
    6 months ago I agreed with you but now I am more convinced that the 4" will only remain as the C type iPhone. The iPhone 6c will basically be the 5s in plastic will remain as 4" but I think the iPhone 6 will be offered only in larger size(s). There has not been one single leak about a new 4" design which is sort of strange. Not only that but Apple has no problem completing switching gears and letting go of a past design. Look at the transformation from the iPod nano 5th, 6th, and 7th generation. Or the new Mac Pro, or even the iPhone 5. They didn't continue to sell a new 3.5" version alongside the iPhone 5. They sold it as a cheaper (read end of life) type product. I think Apple wants to make a clean break and clearly differentiate their premium iPhone as larger and relegate the 4" to the same status the iPhone 4 and 4s held when the iPhone 5 was released. 

That's probably true. Though, the naming will be interesting. So what will we have? A "small" larger phone, and a "large" larger phone. But will they call the larger model an iPhone, or something else? And will the new version of the 5C be called the "6" something or other? A 6c perhaps?

I'm having more fun trying to figure out how they will name these things than anything else about them. Though personally, I'm going to get the 4.7" model.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Actually I would say that the Google data is saying normal is in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and what when people say larger they looking at the 5 to 7 inch range. so 80 of Android user are in the normal range, and only 7% are in the 5 to 7 range. Most of them are in the low res end so cheap big displays.

I got back to the fact Android consumers have chooses and lots of them, This is the complaint about apple, you any have anything you want from apple as long as it what apple is giving you so no really choose, they figure it out for you. On the other hand Android consumers can have what they want, but seem to only buy what they claim they do not want.

I am not saying apple will not be able to sell lots of larger display (4.7") but we will not know what until the consumer actually has the choose. The question we all do not know the answer to is what consumers on the android side choose normal size phones over larger and if Apple has figure that out and address the issues which will allow them to sell more and see if Samsung copies them again.

I think the 4.7" model will sell very well indeed. I know a lot of people, who have told me that they will get the next iPhone if it's about that size. Some people have mover to Android because we're all older, and it's easier for them to use. But they will come back for a larger iPhone. I do have one guy who went to a larger Android phone, but was disgusted, and came back.

The 5.5", or whatever it will be, will get a smaller number of people. But I do know people who have those phablets, and they like them because they are convinced that they are as good as a small tablet.
  • Reply 67 of 135
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

iPhone Air... head - 5.5"

Airhead. I like that.
  • Reply 68 of 135
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Get rid of the bezels!!!! At least on the side of the phone. This will improve on size and looks

You can bet that if it were easy to get rid of them, then everyone should have already done that. But the screens have circuits on those edges, and so it's impossible to get rid of those. One small screen manufacturer had shown an edge less screen, that is, almost edge less, but I've never heard of it being in high production.

So, progress is being made, but we're not there yet.
  • Reply 69 of 135
     I certainly can but not so sure about you. Where did I say it had anything to do with resolution? I was simply pointing out that Google is very loose with these terms and charts  and do not give a specific breakdown for example 45% are using 4.5", 38.2% 4", etc.. 
    I have an iPhone 5s. My family and friends have mostly Android phones, a few Galaxy S3 and 4's, and even a few HTC One's. I have been able to hold and use their phones for short periods of time and also did the pocket test. They all fit perfectly fine in my pant pocket. I can't imagine anyone regardless of phone size would ever use their back pocket. If you wear a suit then the jacket pocket is also plenty large enough to accommodate large phones. I also carry a briefcase or a backpack most times which is where I tend to carry my iPhone. Even when I go out on the town in casual clothes I sometimes carry a small backpack which is a lot more common for men these days especially younger guys. Women aren't the only ones who have stuff to carry around after all. My point is that after using those Android phones with their big bright displays it is a big shock to see how small text and videos and everything appears on my 5s. I freely admit that if I had 20/20 eyesight I probably would not be complaining but I don't and neither does most of the world. My vision is such that I do not need glasses to read only for distance but at the same time cannot focus clearly at less than about 6" from my eyes. The larger displays on those Android phones really made all the difference in the world to me and was like viewing a HD TV for the first time if that makes sense. 
    Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.

I’ve never understood back pockets, myself. Then again, I don’t have much of a butt, so maybe other people have the personal cushion needed to actually put something there without discomfort.

• Reply 71 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    melgross wrote: »
    Um why are you looking at the back pants pockets of young girls? :)

Still I hope Apple keeps the 4" and add the "plus" model at < 5". I still think >5" for a phone is absurd.
  • Reply 72 of 135

If the news screen is 4.7" diagonally then it would be a 4.1" x 2.3" panel if it is 16x9. At that size, if Apple doubles the resolution of the iPhone 5s screen, the iPhone 6 will be a 2272x1280 device at 555ppi. Doubling the resolution would allow developers to simply @2x their assets just like the last time the resolution doubled. Also, given Apple's love for "pretty" numbers 555ppi fits nicely.

• Reply 73 of 135
    Is anyone else interested in a smaller iPhone? Something really easy to put in your pocket, hardened against keys, water resistant and not as slippery so no cover is needed? I find that even the iPhone 4 is too big to be comfortable in my pocket.
  • Reply 74 of 135
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

yep, but my daughter is on her 3rd iphone 4 display, and her jeans and friend jeans you can see the worn outline of the phone on their back pockets.

Also the issue with putting the phone in the pocket is not an issue when standing, it comes down to sitting and the long phones dig in especially in the front pocket and most people do not put a phone in a backpack, why, they learn real fast the phone gets lifted very easily. I hear of more phone getting stolen out of a backpack or purse, so it is better to keep it on your person.

• Reply 75 of 135
    melgross wrote: »
     I certainly can but not so sure about you. Where did I say it had anything to do with resolution? I was simply pointing out that Google is very loose with these terms and charts  and do not give a specific breakdown for example 45% are using 4.5", 38.2% 4", etc.. 
    I have an iPhone 5s. My family and friends have mostly Android phones, a few Galaxy S3 and 4's, and even a few HTC One's. I have been able to hold and use their phones for short periods of time and also did the pocket test. They all fit perfectly fine in my pant pocket. I can't imagine anyone regardless of phone size would ever use their back pocket. If you wear a suit then the jacket pocket is also plenty large enough to accommodate large phones. I also carry a briefcase or a backpack most times which is where I tend to carry my iPhone. Even when I go out on the town in casual clothes I sometimes carry a small backpack which is a lot more common for men these days especially younger guys. Women aren't the only ones who have stuff to carry around after all. My point is that after using those Android phones with their big bright displays it is a big shock to see how small text and videos and everything appears on my 5s. I freely admit that if I had 20/20 eyesight I probably would not be complaining but I don't and neither does most of the world. My vision is such that I do not need glasses to read only for distance but at the same time cannot focus clearly at less than about 6" from my eyes. The larger displays on those Android phones really made all the difference in the world to me and was like viewing a HD TV for the first time if that makes sense. 

My granddaughter does that with no problems -- I think it's a matter of padding (in the jeans) :D
  • Reply 76 of 135
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.</span>

I’ve never understood back pockets, myself. Then again, I don’t have much of a butt, so maybe other people have the personal cushion needed to actually put something there without discomfort.

My dear, late Mama told me that the world is made up of 2 kinds of people -- needle-butts and bubble butts ...

You and I (and most guys) are needle-butts!
  • Reply 77 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    It looks just like my 5S screen only bigger. Where are you getting plastic from?
  • Reply 78 of 135
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

Here's a better [angled] picture. Try that measurement again. It is clearly 4.7"

Seems you are correct.  On my screen (on my MacBook Air with the display zoomed a bit) I can do a crude measurement with a tape measure.  Hey, I said it was a crude measurement.  The screen on the left measured 2 5/8" (2.625") and the one on the right measured 3".  Doing the math, the screen on the right would be about 14-15% longer on the diagonal.  14-15% more than 4" is 4.6"isn, which is closer to 4.7".

• Reply 79 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Larger iphone is 3 years overdue. They should have been AHEAD of samsung and the other mfg's with this trend. Not years behind as a slow follower. Sad to see what Apple has become under Cook

Apple needs, or, more accurately, takes advantage of, Samsung, the Android ecosystem, and, to a lesser extent Microsoft/Nokia and the Windows model, to reflect Apple's constantly changing state in a coevolutionary dance where Apple's adversaries are forced to test the waters of new forms that might be viable but are not yet profitable.  This is currently represented in the many different screen sizes offered by the competition but has played out at other times, both large and small.

Apple allowed others to jump aboard the 4G buildout, jumping aboard itself only when 4G stabilized around the LTE standard.  Others spent evolutionary cycles in efforts akin to purchasing pre-construction from an insolvent builder.  Once the world coalesced around a stable set of standards with critical mass that ensured uptake and lowered costs for all players, Apple added 4G support in their products.

Apple allowed others to experiment with smaller tablet form factors, while criticizing the whole notion.  Once the competition proved the viability of a market, Apple took action, entering with a strong offering that supported Apple's existing app ecosystem, provided a larger display than the competing small tablets, and maintained the full-size iPad's more practical aspect ratio.

Apple allowed others to experiment with larger smartphone displays.  The introduction of the iPhone 5 borrowed from what Apple learned and changed the aspect ratio to the 16:9 aspect ratio utilized in HD video and shown as successful in many of the existing large screen smartphones.  This also allowed Apple to increase the size of the display in a nod to the greater utility of a larger display, while maintaining the width of the handset that allows effective single-handed use and trumpeting this over the competition.  Apple has a habit of downplaying the competition’s advantages before co-opting them.  

In zero-sum games you always try to hide your strategy.  But in nonzero-sum games you might want to announce your strategy in public so the other players need to adapt to it.

Is Apple playing a zero-sum game against Samsung?  Not quite.  Apple selectively allows other players in on its plans, and it clearly cannot hide what it's been doing once it introduces a new iPhone or iPad.  Apple lets the competition know certain information ahead of time.  For example, who doesn't know that a new iPhone will be introduced in September?  By being consistent in its iPhone release schedule, Apple influences Samsung.  Samsung knows its semiconductor/displays/memory sales will get a surge in revenues coincident with Apple's release, and it knows to set its own annual release far enough offset in the calendar with Apple's to allow itself time to mimic any new capabilities it wants from each new iPhone introduction.  Apple takes advantage by keeping Samsung hooked on iPhone component revenues, just enough and only until Apple no longer needs Sammy in this respect, and also takes advantage by picking the better date on the calendar for its iPhone and iPad refreshes.  Coevolution among these two competitors allows Apple to both choose the music and lead the dance.

• Reply 80 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Excellent illustration.  This shows the screen with be the 1334x750 4.7" display predicted by Kuo.  It provides one more row and one more column of app icons on the home screen.  The 32 pixel space between icons in each row will be shrunk to 25 pixels, but there's room for anther entire row with current 60 pixel spacing between each row (that spacing is larger than the 32 pixel column spacing to allow room for the icon labels).