Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Why is there a 2nd SIM card slot on the 6c mockup at the bottom, as well as on the right side?
    gwmac wrote: »
    Whatever Apple decides to call any iPhones released in 2014 it will be the 7th generation...

8th gen, when counting by years.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    I am extremely curious to see a breakdown of the percentage of time a typical iPhone user uses it with 1 hand vs. 2 hands. Whenever I see people using their phones whether it is an iPhone, Galaxy, or anything else more than just a few seconds they nearly always rest the phone in one hand and use the far more precise index fingers of the other hand to operate the display. Most of the apps I use either look better in landscape mode or in many cases ONLY work in landscape which requires 2 handed use on an iPhone. Who are these mythical 1 handed users and why should Apple care about them anymore since usage patterns have changed now that phones are more computer than phone now. 

Exactly!

"One-handed" actually means "one-thumbed" and my lone thumb can't provide decent control. If at all possible... I use two hands like you described: one hand holding the phone and the other hand's index finger providing the input.

I can send a text message with one hand (one thumb) thanks to the keyboard being at the bottom of the screen.

But there is soooo much more I do with my phone. Pinching and zooming? Needs two hands. Multi-finger gestures? Needs two hands.

And if I'm banging out a lot of text... I flip over to the landscape keyboard. Two hands.

I'm ready for a larger screen... my eyes are ready for a larger screen. My pockets can handle it.

My lone thumb? Not worried... he didn't get a lot of solo action anyway!
  • Reply 83 of 137
    Pinching and zooming? Needs two hands. Multi-finger gestures? Needs two hands.

Then why is it called multi-finger gestures and not multi-hand? And pinching and zooming can be done with two fingers, zooming with one finger double tapping, or at least in many apps, but not all.

I do get peoples wishes for a larger screen though.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Well, yeah. They have to, at least if they want to keep selling three iPhones at once.

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" style="width:500px;"><tbody>[TR]
    [TD]2013[/TD]
    [TD]2014[/TD]
    [TD]2015[/TD]
    [TD]2016[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]5S[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]6S[/TD]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]5C[/TD]
    [TD]5S (5SC)[/TD]
    [TD]6 (6C)[/TD]
    [TD]6S (6SC)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]4S[/TD]
    [TD]5C[/TD]
    [TD]5S (5SC)[/TD]
    [TD]6 (6C)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody></table>

I figure they’ll drop the C designation this year and just not use it again.

Yes, the iPhone 5 became the 5C. The iPhone 4S didn’t become the 5C, as he is predicting will happen with the 5S. That’s nonsense.

Nice chart, but I agree with others that it's confusing. That said, it's not your fault it's confusing it's Apple's for being all over the place with their iPhone model type naming conventions.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    philboogie wrote: »
    Then why is it called multi-finger gestures and not multi-hand? And pinching and zooming can be done with two fingers, zooming with one finger double tapping, or at least in many apps, but not all.

Think of all the people who are begging Apple not to make a giant phone because they think phones should be usable with one hand.

But if you hold the phone with one hand... you only have one thumb for input. That's a single finger.

How do you do multi-finger genstures with one thumb?

That's why I was saying I prefer to use two hands with my iPhone: one hand grasping the phone... and multiple fingers on the 2nd hand doing the pinching and zooming, swiping, etc.

Or I simply hold the phone in one hand and use my much more accurate index finger on my other hand.

Either way... I'm not bothered by the concept of two-handed use. I use two hands most of the time already.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    ireland wrote: »
    6.5 to 7 mm bezels? You might want to fix that, AI.
    That's not what it says so nothing to fix.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why is there a 2nd SIM card slot on the 6c mockup at the bottom, as well as on the right side?

8th gen, when counting by years.

He claims to own a 1st gen iPhone that he apparently won in from a local radio station in a contest. That apparently is the only iPhone he has ever owned. 

• Reply 88 of 137

Think of all the people who are begging Apple not to make a giant phone because they think phones should be usable with one hand.

But if you hold the phone with one hand... you only have one thumb for input. That's a single finger.

That's why I was saying I prefer to use two hands with my iPhone: one hand grasping the phone... and multiple fingers on the 2nd hand doing the pinching and zooming, swiping, etc.

Or I simply hold the phone in one hand and use my much more accurate index finger on my other hand.

Either way... I'm not bothered by the concept of two-handed use. I use two hands most of the time already.

Those are very valid points indeed.
    He claims to own a 1st gen iPhone that he apparently won in from a local radio station in a contest. That apparently is the only iPhone he has ever owned. 

So I hear. And he doesn't have a data plan to with it, or so he wrote a few years back. And no phone plan for that matter, all the more making it an iPod touch, sort of. Anyhoo, I do get his point on the naming convention, admittedly I care less than he does, seemingly.

Maybe they should drop the iPhone moniker altogether; rename it to #1. Every. Single. Year. Because that name would reflect:

• the profits being made
    • user satisfaction
    • ease of use.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Those are very valid points indeed.

So I hear. And he doesn't have a data plan to with it, or so he wrote a few years back. And no phone plan for that matter, all the more making it an iPod touch, sort of. Anyhoo, I do get his point on the naming convention, admittedly I care less than he does, seemingly.

Maybe they should drop the iPhone moniker altogether; rename it to #1. Every. Single. Year. Because that name would reflect:

• the profits being made

• user satisfaction

• ease of use.

Exactly right. I honestly don't care a great deal about what an iPhone is called. I care about what it can do. It really is not all that important and I have been suggesting they drop the numbers for years. If they have different models give them an additional identifier like pro, air, etc.. and then simply refer to the year they were introduced to distinguish them. That would be far easier and also give Apple a cachet of not even needing a model name with numbers. It is simply the iPhone. His 1st gen iPhone is hardly even an iPod touch since it is so out of date as to be hardly even useful by today's standards. If I ranted and raved as much as he does about any and all iPhone stories I think I would buy a ticket to the party and own an iPhone. Because otherwise it it just seems sort of pathetic to scream about a product you refuse to even buy for God only knows what reason. 

• Reply 90 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

He claims

In before “too dark to tell what model it is.”

• Reply 91 of 137

I thought dark blurry photos were reserved for iPhone 6 and not antiques. And just saying the word "in before too dark to tell what model" doesn't negate the fact that it is too dark to tell. Shall I provide a link showing you how to take a proper photo? 

No service. :wow: 

Not sure that pict had quite the effect you had hoped for. The only person made to look foolish today might be a lot closer than you think. 

• Reply 92 of 137
    The only person made to look foolish today might be a lot closer than you think. 

You implied he only had an original iPhone. Are you claiming the iPhone he is showing you is fake or not his?
  • Reply 93 of 137
    If they switch the side the volume buttons and vibrator switch is I'm sticking with my iPhone 3GS
  • Reply 94 of 137
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I thought dark blurry photos were reserved for iPhone 6 and not antiques. And just saying the word "in before too dark to tell what model" doesn't negate the fact that it is too dark to tell. Shall I provide a link showing you how to take a proper photo? 

Not sure that pict had quite the effect you had hoped for. The only person made to look foolish today might be a lot closer than you think. 

Well, it proved he has an iPhone that's a fairly recent model.

Unless you're saying it's not his iPhone.

Oh, and sometimes my iPhone says 'no service', mostly when I have no service.

• Reply 95 of 137
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm not sure people are objecting to Apple making a bigger phone; I think they're just not sold on the idea of a phablet, and I'm not really sure that Apple is sold on it either.

They know what they're doing when it comes to market research, and they are also aware of how popular these large-screen devices are outside fan sites and tech forums. 

How well are Samsung's large screen phones really doing? If they were doing that well then why did they feel the need to mislead investors?

• Reply 96 of 137
    rayz wrote: »
    I'm not sure people are objecting to Apple making a bigger phone; I think they're just not sold on the idea of a phablet, and I'm not really sure that Apple is sold on it either.

They know what they're doing when it comes to market research, and they are also aware of how popular these large-screen devices are outside fan sites and tech forums. 
    How well are Samsung's large screen phones really doing? If they were doing that well then why did they feel the need to mislead investors?

Is 4.7" considered a phablet these days? Or is it becoming normal?

I don't know what Apple's market research reveals... but do they expect to stay at 4" forever?

I realize Apple's 4" phone is the best-selling smartphone on Earth... but clearly something is up.

Honestly... I wish Apple would start making a range of current iPhones. They do that with iPads, iMacs, Macbooks...
  • Reply 97 of 137
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If they are keeping the 4" version how can you say they are giving up on single-handed use. By keeping that size it would mean they simply adding another option, not letting anything go.

Semantics, I think on the larger screens, single handed use will not be a feature should they have a smaller screen available.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

It's clearly a newer phone because it's running iOS 7
  • Reply 99 of 137
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Semantics, I think on the larger screens, single handed use will not be a feature should they have a smaller screen available.

The branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning? Absolutely, because it means something totally different to the buyer if the 4" is going to be deprecated to old technology and be completely gone in a year or two than if they plan to keep the 4" as a new product every year the way they keep the 10" iPad as a new product after the iPad mini arrived.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It's clearly a newer phone because it's running iOS 7

How can you even tell it is an iPhone from that photo and if so what model?  I have my old 4s I pulled out of a drawer (which reminds me I need to hurry up and sell it) and the volume controls are small and round. The phone appears to be in some sort of case. There is also some sort of app for older iPhones that TS has talked about using many times here that also emulates the look of iOS 7. http://www.whited00r.com/index?lang=en

TS said that he used whitedoor to keep his first gen looking current so that would be my guess as to what we are looking at. If you search the forum for that term you can likely find his posts. There are also even custom ROM's available on Android that make an Android phone look exactly like iOS 7 to the point that it could easily fool someone in a photo like that with an Android phone that has same placement of volume and power or even an android phone inside a case made more for iPhone. 

If I wanted to prove I had a newer model iPhone as in at least a 4s or later I would take a less controversial photo that has the settings window open with model number showing or a better photo with something more identifiable. Reasonable people would take a photo that ipso facto proves their case without a doubt, not one that raises many more questions.  Anyone can pick up a bad ESN older iPhone that cannot be activated on a carrier for less than the cost of an iPod touch. They are sold on Ebay for around $100 and even less since they are essentially just an iPod touch so it could be one of those. Honestly, why would anyone ever buy an iPhone and then not have any phone or cellular data service on it as you can see from the photo which clearly shows No Service.

I have asked him numerous times in the past what iPhone he has and he has ALWAYS beat around the bush and not answered the question. So I ask him now what model iPhone does he own. Very simple question. If that is not an iPhone running whitedoor surely he can take a photo with model number.