Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Sounds more like we need Apple to handle that rather than some third party who wouldn’t be able to affect the rest of the OS…

Jokes tend to need to not be complete lies.
    What new product line was announced under Cook so far? CarPlay (if that's considered a new product line)?
  • Reply 42 of 163
    bunlobunlo Posts: 28member
    Cook %u2260 Jobs, Speculation is good thing but don't expect he will "show off" new stuff like Jobs does. iWatch sure is not in the radar this year due to technology vs. Apple design. Steve would push the world but Cook doesn't. Don't worry about other's eating up the market ahead of time because they don't have the taste of Apple. Just wait and see.
  • Reply 43 of 163
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,004member

It's a jungle out there, folks.

And when it gets real quiet in the jungle... watch out!

Apple is gonna spring something big!  Maybe not at WWDC, but soon.  :)

• Reply 44 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    popnfresh wrote: »
    Yes, Tim Cook does need to put up, and soon. Apple hasn't released a new product line in almost four years under his leadership.

Cook became CEO in 2011. Not even three years ago.
    rogifan wrote: »
    What new product line was announced under Cook so far? CarPlay (if that's considered a new product line)?

I remember Jobs creating new product categories every quarter and never has more than a one day gap between breakthroughs. Oh that never happened? You mean there was 6 years between the iPod and iPhone? Jobs should have been fired for that innovation gap.
  • Reply 45 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's a jungle out there, folks.

And when it gets real quiet in the jungle... watch out!

Apple is gonna spring something big!  Maybe not at WWDC, but soon.  :)

Both the iPhone and the iPad were early January announcements. So the SDK was released at WWDC. This year it's looking like the new products will be bigger phones.
  • Reply 46 of 163
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    rogifan wrote: »
    You think it makes sense to announce nearly all of your new stuff in September and October? I have a hard time believing it's just coincidence that everything is ready at that time. I hope delays mean what Apple is working on is nothing like what people are expecting and it blows us all away.
    The reason they are bringing releases to the September/October timeframe is obviously for Christmas but also because it locks other companies from releasing competing product in the Christmas season as they don't want to be overshadowed by Apple. If forces the others to release during off peak seasons as Samsung does with the Galaxy S.
  • Reply 47 of 163
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That's ok. 

I think iWatch really needs to hit the ground running.   It should be what current wearables are not.  Stylish yet functional and more ambitious than say a Pebble or Galaxy Gear. 

The next Apple TV should support UHD/4K ,  offer an app store and additional functionality. 

Agree.  4K in the next Apple TV box.  And if there is an Apple TV App Store, it should only contain a few select brands.  Yes, brands.  Not just random apps by random developers.  Apple needs to curate the Apple TV suite.  Hard.  Like they are now.

Then again, if only a few brands are available through the Apple TV interface, the current subscription signup mechanism may already be adequate.  Why complicate the end-user experience by adding yet another App Store?  They're not really apps.  They're "channels."

My WWDC14 hardware prediction: 4K Thunderbolt Display.  If anything.

• Reply 48 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The reason they are bringing releases to the September/October timeframe is obviously for Christmas

What was wrong with the old plan of releasing something every quarter so you’d buy something from them every quarter?

• Reply 49 of 163
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This is fully understandable.

Apple has had a huge announcement packed year so far.

Oh wait......
  • Reply 50 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I remember Jobs creating new product categories every quarter and never has more than a one day gap between breakthroughs. Oh that never happened? You mean there was 6 years between the iPod and iPhone? Jobs should have been fired for that innovation gap.

I have no idea why supposed Apple fans feel the kind of loyalty to Cook which allows them to piss on Jobs' legacy. In the first 3 years he saves the company. From 2001-2007 he brought OS X,the iPod, iTunes, iTunes to Windows, iTunes Store, masterminded the retail strategy, delivered the iPhone and the first iPhone SDK, the Apple TV, the MacBook and the transition to intel.

He then goes on to build on that legacy with the iPad. And this ignores iWork, mini and other less successful products.

And the hardwork is done. iOS is mature. Putting it on a TV and adding an App Store should be trivial compared to transitioning OS X to intel, then making the guts of that the basis of a mobile OS like iOS and transitioning to ARM. I mean jobs said he cracked TV. Where is it?
  • Reply 51 of 163
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    a rumor that says that rumored products will not show up. brilliant.
  • Reply 52 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

me...  I cut and restrung the cord.   partly for business demands.   But, I take the Oatmeal approach to game of thrones... With the thought that the potential of recovering a little streaming revenue may change HBO's content delivery options.

I'm trying to stay on the right side of the law but the frustrations covered in that Oatmeal piece are very real.  Some of us our simply saying that we don't mind paying a bit more money for the content we love but we don't want to be second class citizens either. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Agree.  4K in the next Apple TV box.  And if there is an Apple TV App Store, it should only contain a few select brands.  Yes, brands.  Not just random apps by random developers.  Apple needs to curate the Apple TV suite.  Hard.  Like they are now.

Then again, if only a few brands are available through the Apple TV interface, the current subscription signup mechanism may already be adequate.  Why complicate the end-user experience by adding yet another App Store?  They're not really apps.  They're "channels."

My WWDC14 hardware prediction: 4K Thunderbolt Display.  If anything.

I'll be looking for HEVC support in the A8 platform.  HEVC was formally published last November and licensing started this January.  Q3 should be an ideal time deliver 4K support and content on iTunes as well as Lossless audio at higher bit rates. 

Can't wait to see a 4K Thunderbolt display. 

• Reply 53 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I have no idea why supposed Apple fans feel the kind of loyalty to Cook which allows them to piss on Jobs' legacy. In the first 3 years he saves the company. From 2001-2007 he brought OS X,the iPod, iTunes, iTunes to Windows, iTunes Store, masterminded the retail strategy, delivered the iPhone and the first iPhone SDK, the Apple TV, the MacBook and the transition to intel.

He then goes on to build on that legacy with the iPad. And this ignores iWork, mini and other less successful products.

And the hardwork is done. iOS is mature. Putting it on a TV and adding an App Store should be trivial compared to transitioning OS X to intel, then making the guts of that the basis of a mobile OS like iOS and transitioning to ARM. I mean jobs said he cracked TV. Where is it?

Who's pissing on Jobs legacy? Note Jobs was against native iOS apps, iTunes and iPods for Windows, had a different retail design in mind, etc. Jobs was brilliant but he wasn't perfect. Innovation takes time.
    I'm pretty sure the other execs had a say.

Jobs may have cracked the TV but who says content owners want to play that game.
  • Reply 54 of 163
    Tim Cook is the one who said Apple had "big plans" for this year. He's the one who told WSJ and analysts that Apple would be announcing new product categories this year. I'm just voicing concern that they're all seemingly going to happen in September and October. Last years iPad event felt really rushed (Apple spent next to no time demonstrating the benefit of 64 bit on the iPad) because Apple crammed in a bunch of product announcements all at one time. Is it impossible for them to space things out a bit so we don't have these long lulls and then a bunch of products announced all at once? Might be good for people's budgets too....so they're able to spread out purchases more.
  • Reply 55 of 163
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe people were expecting it because outside of CarPlay Apple hasn't announced anything new in the first 6 months of the year.

Your calendar seems to be running a couple months fast.  You might want to get that checked.

• Reply 56 of 163
    Jobs may have cracked the TV but who says content owners want to play that game.
    So ATV can't be updated until content owners decide to play ball with Apple? The UI is horribly outdated and clunky and not in line at all with Apple's newer software design aesthetic. Apple's sales figures have shown how popular ATV is. I can only imagine how much more popular it would be if it had an App Store, gaming capabilities and Siri search functionality. According to John Gruber Apple has had some very talented people working on ATV for a long time. I hope we don't have to wait for stodgy content owners to see the fruits of their labor. There's plenty of things Apple could improve even if they don't have some revolutionary way of accessing and paying for content worked out.
  • Reply 57 of 163
    malax wrote: »

Your calendar seems to be running a couple months fast.  You might want to get that checked.
    Ok I was off one month (unless you expect new products to drop in May?).
  • Reply 58 of 163
    The reason they are bringing releases to the September/October timeframe is obviously for Christmas but also because it locks other companies from releasing competing product in the Christmas season as they don't want to be overshadowed by Apple. If forces the others to release during off peak seasons as Samsung does with the Galaxy S.
    What about people that would prefer to stager their purchases? Not everyone can afford new macs, iPhone, iPad, etc. in one quarter. And by pushing everything into the holiday quarter Apple basically goes quiet for most of the year which allows others to have the spotlight and/or drive the narrative.
  • Reply 59 of 163
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I just love watching the crack addicts NOT get their fix at New Apple events, Tremendous. Instead I love investing in a company that slowly and surely does not pander to these fools.
  • Reply 60 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Gee, a developers conference that focuses on development... what will they think of next?