Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So should they release stuff before it's ready? What your point? It's not like they randomly have the first 6 months of the yr blacked out. A ton of stuff was updated in the fall, and as for new categories, alot of things have to align in terms of software and technology before those can be launched. 
    When did I say Apple should release stuff before it's ready? But do all the stars that have to align only align in the second half of the year? Part of the reason I'd like them to space things out more is so the things they do announce can get more attention. Case in point the new iPads last year. They got very little stage time and no demonstration of the benefits of 64-bit. All Phil Schiller did was read specs off a sheet. But iPad was sharing the stage with nMP, updated MBPs and new software demos. Now if things were spaced out more and, say, iPad has its own event maybe Apple could have spent time demoing specific apps that take advantage of the 64-bit processor. Or maybe demo iWork and other new apps for iPad that show how it's so much more than a consumption device. Apple keeps touting the success of iPad in education and enterprise...well show some of that off! Let's see some demos of how businesses are utilizing iPad to create custom apps. Of course all of that is difficult to do when iPad is sharing the stage with 3 or 4 other products and Apple only has an hour and a half to talk about everything.
  • Reply 82 of 163
    fastasleep wrote: »
    There have only been four months so far this year. Have some patience for chrissakes, there are better things to worry about.
    What new products do yo expect Apple to drop in May?
  • Reply 83 of 163
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I just heard a new rumor that the rumor about the rumored devices being a no show at the show is just a rumor. 

• Reply 84 of 163
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What new products do yo expect Apple to drop in May?

I don't expect anything, which is why I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do. If they don't, I will not have been exhausting myself with handwringing while waiting to see what happens at WWDC in a short month from now.

• Reply 85 of 163
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    WWDC is software! Since when has it been about hardware? That's why it a developers conference. My guess is in October
  • Reply 86 of 163
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    WWDC is software! Since when has it been about hardware? That's why it a developers conference. My guess is in October

I will ask again when hasn't Apple had hardware at WWDC? The fact is software is useless without hardware.
  • Reply 87 of 163
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Last year in a holiday memo to employees Cook said:

At some point Cook needs to put up or quit the tease. If all we get at WWDC is a redesigned OS X and iOS 8 with incremental updates that's not going to leave a lot of time to unveil these "big plans".

A health monitor watch? Really?

Where the cracked Apple TV?  

Heck where's the current Apple TV update for that matter?

• Reply 88 of 163
    Quote:

What new product line was announced under Cook so far? CarPlay (if that's considered a new product line)?

I'm still waiting for his answer on that too.

• Reply 89 of 163
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for his answer on that too.
    Well there's someone in this thread who thinks the nMP should be considered a new product this year so...

Anyway this report didn't say anything about Macs so it's possible we see a new Mac mini or 4K display. The mini is overdue for a refresh.
  • Reply 90 of 163
    Quote:

Well there's someone in this thread who thinks the nMP should be considered a new product this year so...

Anyway this report didn't say anything about Macs so it's possible we see a new Mac mini or 4K display. The mini is overdue for a refresh.

That's a prosumer device.

If so would you consider the 2006 Xserve as well?

We're really talking non-niche products.

• Reply 91 of 163
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Yes, Tim Cook does need to put up, and soon. Apple hasn't released a new product line in almost four years under his leadership.

And yet they keep making more and more money. So maybe Tim doesn't need to "put up". Perhaps the real issue is that the other companies aren't making as much on any one product so they have to keep releasing something new to get sales constantly coming in

Keep in mind that under Steve they weren't releasing a new product line every year either. Even skipping the Lisa, there were huge gaps between the first desktop (Jan 1984) and first laptop (Sept 1989), Newton (1993) then to the first iPod (Oct 2001), first Apple TV (Jan 2007), the first iPhone (June 2007) and so on. Just looking at recent history it was three years between the iPhone and iPad. And it's been less than 3 years since Tim was truly in command (after Steve's death in Oct 2011) so he has some time before its truly been 'too long' for something new. Heck it was three years before models of the Apple TV.

I'd say he's right on the typical schedule. 

• Reply 92 of 163
    Quote:

Last years iPad event felt really rushed (Apple spent next to no time demonstrating the benefit of 64 bit on the iPad) because Apple crammed in a bunch of product announcements all at one time. 

It didn't really hurt sales which is the whole point of those events. To introduce things to the media to get them to drum up business to make sales. 

As for people's budgets, the only ones that would really be bothered are those that have to have the latest and greatest the moment it comes out.  Most folks don't. And those that do know the score so they know to save up for that big hit

• Reply 93 of 163
    Quote:

So ATV can't be updated until content owners decide to play ball with Apple? utionary way of accessing and paying for content worked out.

To a degree yes. If the nets won't approve the extension of content contracts Apple can't put said materials up. If the developers don't sign up for making Apple TV worthy versions of their games, what's the point of Apple bothering with that direction if they are even thinking about it. They can change the UI but that isn't really going to drive sales since folks aren't spending all their time staring at that. They go through it in a few seconds to content

• Reply 94 of 163
    longfanglongfang Posts: 506member
    Thing is by now Samsung has disgusted me so much that they could release the greatest gizmo imaginable and I still wouldn't take it even if you paid me to.
  • Reply 95 of 163
    tangletangle Posts: 5member
    My call is the rumoured iWatch will be announced at WWDC with a release scheduled for the fall. iOS 8 announcement with lots of focus for developers to get runway for the hardware launch in the fall. iPhone 6 will get released in the fall too. The 5 with the second chip will be positioned as entry hardware to be compatable iWatch. 6 will naturally posses the same. 5C will be knocked down in price as a true entry level unit that does not run in tandum with the iWatch. My 3 cents opinion.
  • Reply 96 of 163
    charlituna wrote: »
    To a degree yes. If the nets won't approve the extension of content contracts Apple can't put said materials up. If the developers don't sign up for making Apple TV worthy versions of their games, what's the point of Apple bothering with that direction if they are even thinking about it. They can change the UI but that isn't really going to drive sales since folks aren't spending all their time staring at that. They go through it in a few seconds to content
    How can developers not sign up for something that doesn't exist? It Apple provided a development platform for ATV developers would be there in a heartbeat. There are some no brainer things Apple should do with ATV. And Apple is rumored to be working on a lot of them. As I said before I think there are things Apple can and should implement whether or not they've got something big worked out with content providers. Besides the UI being horribly out of date stylistically it's also clunky to use and search is crap. If Apple doesn't have the "cracked" part figured out yet at least make sure ATV is keeping up with the competition.
  • Reply 97 of 163
    charlituna wrote: »
    It didn't really hurt sales which is the whole point of those events. To introduce things to the media to get them to drum up business to make sales. 

As for people's budgets, the only ones that would really be bothered are those that have to have the latest and greatest the moment it comes out.  Most folks don't. And those that do know the score so they know to save up for that big hit
    iPad sales have been essentially flat for a while now. iPhone gets its own event that doesn't have to be shared with anything else (except maybe iPods). iPad should get the same attention.
  • Reply 98 of 163
    pazuzu wrote: »
    That's a prosumer device.
    If so would you consider the 2006 Xserve as well?

We're really talking non-niche products.
    It's a developer conference. I would guess a fair number of people in that audience use a Mac mini or a Mac Pro so updating the mini and releasing a 4K monitor would please that crowd. I'm still a little surprised that Apple didn't update the Thunderbolt Display when the nMP was released. If Apple offered a 4K monitor pros would buy it.
  • Reply 99 of 163
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I mean jobs said he cracked TV. Where is it?

You really should consider that he didn't talk about unreleased products. If there was a television in the works, that quote wouldn't have come up, as it would have violated one of Apple's policies.

Quote:

It's a developer conference. I would guess a fair number of people in that audience use a Mac mini or a Mac Pro so updating the mini and releasing a 4K monitor would please that crowd. I'm still a little surprised that Apple didn't update the Thunderbolt Display when the nMP was released. If Apple offered a 4K monitor pros would buy it.

It remains to be seen if they keep the display in lockstep with the imac. It also remains to be seen if they keep the display as it is today. Right now it's really designed as display + dock. They leverage it across the greatest possible range. If they brought out a 4K display today, it would work as expected with the mac pro and macbook pro. Those are the only two with full displayport 1.2 support due to thunderbolt 2. That might initially be enough for them, as the other machines will eventually be updated to that level.

• Reply 100 of 163
    rogifan wrote: »

Then is it about new software for the iNike I mean iWatch?

Amazon has Gold boxed Nike fuel bands today- this is all too obvious.