Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Both the iPhone and the iPad were early January announcements. So the SDK was released at WWDC. This year it's looking like the new products will be bigger phones.
    Ha, so that's what Cook meant when he told employees Apple had "BIG plans" for 2014. ;)
  • Reply 62 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So ATV can't be updated until content owners decide to play ball with Apple? The UI is horribly outdated and clunky and not in line at all with Apple's newer software design aesthetic. Apple's sales figures have shown how popular ATV is. I can only imagine how much more popular it would be if it had an App Store, gaming capabilities and Siri search functionality. According to John Gruber Apple has had some very talented people working on ATV for a long time. I hope we don't have to wait for stodgy content owners to see the fruits of their labor. There's plenty of things Apple could improve even if they don't have some revolutionary way of accessing and paying for content worked out.

I believe Jobs was referring to the TV Set. You're right, Apple TV needs an update. But so did the Mac Pro but than languished for years.
    What about people that would prefer to stager their purchases? Not everyone can afford new macs, iPhone, iPad, etc. in one quarter. And by pushing everything into the holiday quarter Apple basically goes quiet for most of the year which allows others to have the spotlight and/or drive the narrative.

Was there a new law dictating buyers must but products as soon as they are released?
  • Reply 63 of 163
    Gee, a developers conference that focuses on development... what will they think of next?
    Hopefully that development includes better inter-app communication in iOS, better file management, Siri integration with 3rd party apps, iCloud improvements and an Apple TV SDK. I would be OK with no hardware announcements if WWDC focus was big on software improvements. I think it's a bit embarrassing that Microsoft's virtual assistant can interact with 3rd party apps but Siri can't. Siri would be so much more useful if 3rd party developers could utilize it.
  • Reply 64 of 163
    jungmark wrote: »
    Was there a new law dictating buyers must but products as soon as they are released?
    No but I doubt Apple announces products in the holiday quarter so you buy them 3-6 months later. I can't stand Samsung but they did get it right with having the Galaxy product line announced in the spring and the Note line in the fall. They have both halves of the year covered.
  • Reply 65 of 163
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

OF COURSE!  WWDC is for software mainly!  And, why would they use Developer conference for hardware new releases?

And, new category products, Apple will release in grand way!

//Dont tell me iWatch API is for developers.

What about iPhone 4? Wasn't it unveiled at WWDC? Anything can happen with Apple. 

• Reply 66 of 163
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Tim's comment about new products "across 2014" is sounding more like new products in September and October...again.

IMO- I do  not think Tim should drop these hints. I do not recall Jobs dropping those types of hints, the opposite in fact... ' we don't know how to do cell phones(ie crappy cell phones)'. 

• Reply 67 of 163
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    translation: We were whoring for hits by posting a ton of rumors about these two products and now we are scared that they aren't happening, or at least not any time soon. And certainly not at WWDC like we kept claiming our sources confirmed.

So we are not whoring for hits with a CYA that things have been 'delayed' so we can claim we aren't the ones that screwed up

Happens every year. Gene has been claiming 'delays' over the real tv for ages.
  • Reply 68 of 163
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

May be... Phil say... "Do you want to have a peak at we are working on?"  showing iWatch and says.."Cant innovate anymore my $%^(*&^$%"

i think if the whole health book thing is real and the iWatch is working with that and perhaps as a Pebble style wrist notification system they will preview it at WWDC if only cause they want developers to update their health apps etc to work with it. So they would want developers to have the summer with the APIs to get ready for it. We won't see it released until iOS 8 launches cause there would be nothing for it to work with. 

As for the Apple TV, frankly I don't see it as being more than a souped up version of the current. I don't see games etc being directly downloaded it to so there's no reason for developers to see it or any version of the software for it early. I think it will be revamped wifi and graphics for stability and perhaps quality with maybe an app store so users can download all the network apps. Perhaps they MIGHT mention this detail at WWDC if any kind of changes need to happen with the iOS app to make it possible. But the real power will be in the fall when they announce the new devices and how iTunes now has h.265 videos with higher quality for the same file size. To handle this they might also up the storage for pre caching rentals etc. I think with the right updates folks would be willing to go even up to $199 for a smart box

• Reply 69 of 163
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I don't have a 4K TV but the next AppleTV had better be 4K or else DOOMED!
  • Reply 70 of 163
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    I watch is not in the near future Apple apparently not ready and in no hurry All these new hires indicate that there will be an I watch but just not yet. Perhaps Apple is llooking into mobile payments operating from an I watch.
  • Reply 71 of 163
    future manfuture man Posts: 109member
    kiltedtim wrote: »
    It's a DEVELOPERS conference. Not a place to show off new hardware. Why does everyone seem to forget that?

True, yet nothing precludes the announcement of any new hardware devices
  • Reply 72 of 163
    lannoclannoc Posts: 16member
    There's not 8 months after WWDC. I suppose Apple will do what they did last year and cram a bunch of stuff into an iPad event in October. But maybe they'll throw people a bone and announce a new Mac mini or 4K display at WWDC. Developers would get excited about that.
    There would still be 7 months after the WWDC. I'm sure Tim and company have things well under control.
  • Reply 73 of 163
    lannoc wrote: »
    There would still be 7 months after the WWDC. I'm sure Tim and company have things well under control.
    So when did the first 6 months of the year become no-go?
  • Reply 74 of 163
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Good. Apple will have enough on its plate to show, including OSX 10.10, iOS8, New Macbook line, possibly new iPhones, etc. 

• Reply 75 of 163
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

So should they release stuff before it's ready? What your point? It's not like they randomly have the first 6 months of the yr blacked out. A ton of stuff was updated in the fall, and as for new categories, alot of things have to align in terms of software and technology before those can be launched. 

• Reply 76 of 163
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Quote:

You think it makes sense to announce nearly all of your new stuff in September and October? I have a hard time believing it's just coincidence that everything is ready at that time. I hope delays mean what Apple is working on is nothing like what people are expecting and it blows us all away, But in the meantime Apple TV is getting a bit long in the tooth. An update would be welcome even if they're not ready to unveil a much bigger plan. At least get it on par with what Amazon did.

I think it makes sense to announce new stuff when it's ready, as Apple generally does. Whenever they announce something that's not ready, and it's then delayed (see iMac, Mac Pro), the whining gets even louder.

• Reply 77 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

At the same time when did the last 6 months not count as part of the year?
  • Reply 78 of 163
    Quote:

Ok I was off one month (unless you expect new products to drop in May?).

There have only been four months so far this year. Have some patience for chrissakes, there are better things to worry about.

• Reply 79 of 163
    Quote:

What about people that would prefer to stager their purchases? Not everyone can afford new macs, iPhone, iPad, etc. in one quarter. And by pushing everything into the holiday quarter Apple basically goes quiet for most of the year which allows others to have the spotlight and/or drive the narrative.

Who is forcing you to buy everything new on launch day?

• Reply 80 of 163
    Quote:

First five months. Your calendar is all messed up.