Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 601 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    What kind of bullshit are you spewing? If you're Jewish, I'll tell you to have a happy Hannakuh. If you're athiest, I'll tell you to have a good day. If you're an asshole, I'd tell you to **** off.

And you ask people their religion before giving a common greeting? So you're at a retail shop to purchase something, the person says at the end of the transaction Happy Holidays, which makes you stop, turn around, and ask, "What is your specific religion so I know what salutation is most appropriate for this situation?" Don't be daft!
  • Reply 602 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why and why? - Honest questions.

Why? I answered that. I don't celebrate a generic holiday.

What I meant is why is it not generic? As I'm sure you know, christmas is not in the old or new testament. Likewise neither is hanukkah in the hebrew bible. They are both make believe religious holidays. The second part of the question is why does a greeting so mundane and lacking connotation offend you?

• Reply 603 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    What kind of bullshit are you spewing? If you're Jewish, I'll tell you to have a happy Hannakuh. If you're athiest, I'll tell you to have a good day. If you're an asshole, I'd tell you to **** off.

Not every Jew walks around with a yamulke, or with curls hanging from their temples. 'Happy Holidays' is a term I use whenever I'm dealing with people who I wouldn't assume what their beliefs, and religion are, but if I'm addressing someone I know for a fact is Christian then I say Merry Christmas. It's not about what you celebrate, but about not assuming what another person does.
  • Reply 604 of 757
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not every Jew walks around with a yamulke, or with curls hanging from their temples. 'Happy Holidays' is a term I use whenever I'm dealing with people who I wouldn't assume what their beliefs, and religion are, but if I'm addressing someone I know for a fact is Christian then I say Merry Christmas. It's not about what you celebrate, but about not assuming what another person does.

Happy holidays is still better even with christians because if they are super devout messianic jewish christians, like the christians of the bible, then they could be just as offended by greeting them with merry christmas as they would be with you saying happy halloween in October.

• Reply 605 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

How does "Happy Holidays" acknowledge other religions? It doesn't. It groups them into some PC crap phrase. Merry Christmas or Happy Hannakuh.

It acknowledges them by not automatically excluding them.

The trite phrase, 'Happy Holidays' excludes all religions, but makes it sound okay for atheists.

• Reply 606 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The trite phrase, 'Happy Holidays' excludes all religions, but makes it sound okay for atheists.

How does the evolved form of 'Holy day' exclude religions?

If I remember correctly, you're a Brit, and probably use the word 'holiday' for what Americans would call a vacation. So that word for you might have different meanings, and feelings.
  • Reply 607 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

1) It started in the US but that's because we have so many religions thriving here. despite some Americans feeling this country would have only one.

Christmas is celebrated by many non-christians around the world. It is mostly referred to as x-mas in non-christian countries. In Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and even some arab countries you will see shopping malls with traditional decorations and people buying and wrapping gifts. Most people enjoy a holiday. Even in regions that used to be predominately christian like Europe and the US it is mostly a secular holiday. Christmas was not celebrated by the christians in the bible and some religious congregations that are very strict about Judaeo/Christian sacred days are quite anti-christmas, but most people are not very religious these days so it is just a fun holiday for the most part.

Christmas is only celebrated by Christians. Others may take advantage of the excuse to buy people presents and eat and drink too much. Those others need saving.

• Reply 608 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Christmas is celebrated by many non-christians around the world.

So? Does that means it's celebrated by over 50% of the world's population? Does that mean all religious holidays need to be referred to as Christmas for the general term? I don't know of a single Zoroastrianism that celebrates Christmas but they are still suppose to say Merry Christmas to everyone because people with insecurities about their own religion beliefs might call them terrorists if they say Happy Holidays?

Only Christmas is referred to as Christmas. There are other religious holidays which aren't referred to as Christmas.

Glad to clear that up with you!

• Reply 609 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

...but they are still suppose to say Merry Christmas to everyone because people with insecurities about their own religion beliefs might...

Season's Greetings has become the common way to wish someone a good holiday just like "have a nice weekend" it is generic. You wouldn't say "enjoy sunday mass this weekend" would you?

Businesses send out greeting cards during the holiday season to their clients and vendors, most with seasonal non-religious messages in order to be polite, not knowing whether they are devoutly religious or not. People who think Christmas is a religious holiday have nothing to back that up in the bible. Believers of other religions can possibly be offended by it though. In my opinion it is better to not offend people, especially your customers.

'Season's Greetings' is the pc way of saying 'Happy Christmas' for pc card companies. It means nothing in itself, but is offensive to Christians, as it is obviously supposed to be a Christmas card.

• Reply 610 of 757
    Quote:

It's funny that the religion that persecuted the most people feels the most persecuted.

There is no time in the history of Christianity that Christians have not been persecuted.

• Reply 611 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Season's Greetings has become the common way to wish someone a good holiday just like "have a nice weekend" it is generic.

That works, too. Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings are as interchangeable as hello and hi.
    Quote:

You wouldn't say "enjoy sunday mass this weekend" would you?

Which is my point.

"Happy Holidays' and 'Seasons Greetings' are what Apple and most companies say in an effort to appease non-Christians, atheists and to persecute Christianity.

• Reply 612 of 757
    There is no time in the history of Christianity that Christians have not been persecuted.
    "Happy Holidays' and 'Seasons Greetings' are what Apple and most companies say in an effort to appease non-Christians, atheists and to persecute Christianity.

Now considering other religions is persecuting your religion. :no: You're not doing Christianity any favours with your intolerance. Is this what Jesus would do?
  • Reply 613 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

I celebrate Christmas and not a generic holiday. I'm offended by "Happy Holidays".

And a generic greeting to people whose religion you don't know doesn't exclude celebrating Christmas. Only those that are insecure about their Christian religion would get offended by Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings.

When other religions have holidays, I don't decide to start celebrating the trappings of it and start sending people cards saying 'Happy Holidays' and greeting people with 'Season's Greetings.' I just ignore it; it's not my religion, I'm not interested in it and it has nothing to do with me.

Why people like you get your panties in a twist because Christians celebrate their religion in a traditional manner defies reason.

• Reply 614 of 757
    Why people like you get your panties in a twist because Christians celebrate their religion in a traditional manner defies reason.

Only you and jungmark are getting upset that other religions have holidays around the same time as Christmas. You're the ones with your yuletide panties in a bunch. If you know someone is Christian then say Merry Christmas, if you know you're they're Jewish you should say Happy Hanukkah, if you know they are Jehovah's Witnesses you don't tell them to celebrate any holiday or their birthday. If your faith is so shaken by telling being happy for someone not of your church then I feel bad for you. I will pray for you.
  • Reply 615 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

I celebrate Christmas and not a generic holiday. I'm offended by "Happy Holidays".

Because Christmas is specific to Christianity. If someone greets you with 'Happy Holidays,' they might as well be telling you to bugger off. A company or person that sends you a Christmas card that says, 'Season's Greetings' is rubbing their non-belief in your face.

For you to even need to question how that is offensive shows just how blind you are to faith, what makes man man and an understanding of our place here in the universe.

• Reply 616 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Because only Christians should be allowed to have a holiday that is happy because all other religions are practiced by sub-human scum¡

Such hatred; it's the one common trait I find in all atheists.

• Reply 617 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

... and to persecute Christianity.

You want to talk about persecuting christians, take a quick trip to Iraq and take up a cross. In Iraq, christians are considered liberals. We are talking about a friendly greeting not your head stuck on a pole.

• Reply 618 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What I meant is why is it not generic? As I'm sure you know, christmas is not in the old or new testament. Likewise neither is hanukkah in the hebrew bible. They are both make believe religious holidays. The second part of the question is why does a greeting so mundane and lacking connotation offend you?

'christmas (sic) is not in the...old (sic) testament (sic).' 

Hilarious!

NEWSFLASH: The Old Testament took place before Christ was born. 

I can see that learning the Bible by rote was a completely wasted effort for you, as you neglected to actually absorb the meaning of the words. Guess it was just a big dictionary for you. Oh well; live and learn.

• Reply 619 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

So why is it that an atheist is allowed to get offended by a Christian greeting him with 'Happy Christmas,' but a Christian isn't allowed to be offended by an atheist greeting him with 'Happy Holidays'?

• Reply 620 of 757
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

'christmas (sic) is not in the...old (sic) testament (sic).' 

Hilarious!

NEWSFLASH: The Old Testament took place before Christ was born. 

I can see that learning the Bible by rote was a completely wasted effort for you, as you neglected to actually absorb the meaning of the words. Guess it was just a big dictionary for you. Oh well; live and learn.

"god will provide himself a sacrifice." genesis 22:8. There is this thing called prophesy. You might have heard of it.