Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 661 of 757
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    crowley wrote: »
    But you do celebrate a holiday, so what's wrong with saying "Happy holidays"?

Do you object to the word holiday at any other time?

"It's not a holiday, it's Labour Day"

Or generic words in general?

"Don't call me Sir, my name is Jungmark!"

This seems to me a totally false outrage, generic words are fine.

Fine. We should rename all holidays as Generic Holiday #1, #2, #3, etc. they have names for reasons.

If you have twins, do you put on their cake: Happy Birthday, Twins.
    solipsismx wrote: »

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

How is saying Merry Christmas imposing my religion? It's not like a give them a baby Jesus figurine and a bible.
  • Reply 662 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [VIDEO]

Yeah; SolipsismX is combining his two hangups in one neat little basket: race and religion; he's the model liberal.

How awfully liberal of me to expect that people don't act like arrogant, elitist bigots¡
  • Reply 663 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

But you do celebrate a holiday, so what's wrong with saying "Happy holidays"?

Do you object to the word holiday at any other time?

"It's not a holiday, it's Labour Day"

Or generic words in general?

"Don't call me Sir, my name is Jungmark!"

This seems to me a totally false outrage, generic words are fine.

Fine. We should rename all holidays as Generic Holiday #1, #2, #3, etc. they have names for reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

How is saying Merry Christmas imposing my religion? It's not like a give them a baby Jesus figurine and a bible.

Even giving them a Bible is hardly imposing your religion. It's not as though you're forcing them to read it.

• Reply 664 of 757
    I'm still waiting for you to tell me where I said you shouldn't use a specific greeting when you know their religion and the customs they follow. This, "If they aren't Christians then **** those heathens!", attitude is deplorable. Shame on you and Benjamin Frost. :no:

Point to any of my posts where I say non- Christians are heathens or scum. I'll wait. You're projecting your own biases.
  • Reply 665 of 757
    jungmark wrote: »

1) How is telling people to enjoy celebrating Christ's birth imposing your religion on people that aren't Christians or celebrate Christmas? :roll eyes:

2) So if someone tell you to enjoy Ramadan or Hanukah you'd be fine with that? Based on your comments here you would through a fit because you feel that attacks your religion, or as Frost put it, Christianity is sooo persecuted.
  • Reply 666 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're showing an intolerance for the word Christmas, which is typical of liberal atheists. They profess to be the most tolerant people around, whilst continually demonstrating the most explicit intolerance on a daily basis. Guess it makes the world go round.

No I am not showing that intolerance, not even for a second.  You can say Christmas, that's fine.  I don't have a problem with the word or concept, and I don't think anyone else here does either.  

But!  It is not the only holiday (religious or secular) in the winter period of mid December through to mid January that is commonly known as the holiday season. So, if you are addressing a crowd, or a person of unknown denomination, it simply makes sense to use a less specific term when wishing them well for the period.  

You want to say "Merry Christmas"?  Fine, knock yourself out, I don't care in the slightest and I'm not at all offended.  I doubt many would be, though a Sikh or Hindu might think you're a bit of an idiot for thinking it was an appropriate thing to say.  I simply think it is better and more appropriate to not bring the specific religion into the greeting when you don't know if a person observes that religion and that specific holiday, and "happy holidays" or "season's greetings" are perfectly valid substitutes that are inclusive to most, if not all variations.

Again, political correctness, it's just about being polite.

• Reply 667 of 757
    Point to any of my posts where I say non- Christians are heathens or scum. I'll wait. You're projecting your own biases.

Pay attention. I didn't say you said that, I said it was your attitude.
  • Reply 668 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Bullshit. Religion knows no colors. Happy Holidays is so impersonal. It's like giving cash as a gift.

Read my post again. Merry Christmas.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where I said you shouldn't use a specific greeting when you know their religion and the customs they follow. This, "If they aren't Christians then **** those heathens!", attitude is deplorable. Shame on you and Benjamin Frost. image

Your righteous indignation just cracks me up. Partly because it's so misplaced, partly due to your sincerity, and partly because I can't help myself because I think I'm a bad person.

• Reply 669 of 757
    Fine. We should rename all holidays as Generic Holiday #1, #2, #3, etc.

He didn't say that. Stop with the idiotic hyperbole.
  • Reply 670 of 757
    1) How is telling people to enjoy celebrating Christ's birth imposing your religion on people that aren't Christians or celebrate Christmas? :roll eyes:

2) So if someone tell you to enjoy Ramadan or Hanukah you'd be fine with that? Based on your comments here you would through a fit because you feel that attacks your religion, or as Frost put it, Christianity is sooo persecuted.

1. Christmas is day on the calendar. Enjoy it.
    Unless of course you updated your calendar and put Generic Winter Holiday or Generic Holiday #8.

2. Did I say that attacks my religion? I'd just correct the person.
  • Reply 671 of 757
    Your righteous indignation just cracks me up.

And yet you don't mention the ones that warp religion to cater to their bigotry and insecurities.
  • Reply 672 of 757
    Pay attention. I didn't say you said that, I said it was your attitude.

Fine. Point to my post that has this "attitude".
  • Reply 673 of 757
    Unless of course you updated your calendar and put Generic Winter Holiday or Generic Holiday #8.

1) I do, but I don't go around telling everyone else to enjoy my customs.

2) You've been acting butt-hurt all day by the very notion that one consider that their religion and customs are not the only ones.
  • Reply 674 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:

You're showing an intolerance for the word Christmas, which is typical of liberal atheists. They profess to be the most tolerant people around, whilst continually demonstrating the most explicit intolerance on a daily basis. Guess it makes the world go round.

No I am not showing that intolerance, not even for a second.  You can say Christmas, that's fine.  I don't have a problem with the word or concept, and I don't think anyone else here does either.  

But!  It is not the only holiday (religious or secular) in the winter period of mid December through to mid January that is commonly known as the holiday season. So, if you are addressing a crowd, or a person of unknown denomination, it simply makes sense to use a less specific term when wishing them well for the period.  

You want to say "Merry Christmas"?  Fine, knock yourself out, I don't care in the slightest and I'm not at all offended.  I doubt many would be, though a Sikh or Hindu might think you're a bit of an idiot for thinking it was an appropriate thing to say.  I simply think it is better and more appropriate to not bring the specific religion into the greeting when you don't know if a person observes that religion and that specific holiday, and "happy holidays" or "season's greetings" are perfectly valid substitutes that are inclusive to most, if not all variations.

Again, political correctness, it's just about being polite.

You disapprove of Happy Christmas and are inclined not to tolerate it, but replace it with a bland, generic meaningless platitude; I disagree.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Reply 675 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Then you're a hypocrite for taking the garb of a religious festival in vain. 

Actually I think most of the garb is Pagan like the decorated tree, the yule log, feasts, parties, wine, etc. Perhaps the gift giving has some biblical roots, and although I've been known to gift some gold, not too much incense or myrrh. Mostly toy trucks, dolls and stuffed animals.

• Reply 676 of 757

2) You've been acting butt-hurt all day by the very notion that one consider that their religion and customs are not the only ones.

1. Really? You just have a billion posts stating that you use Happy Holidays!
    2. Point to my posts that say it or have that attitude. Otherwise, Merry Christmas.
  • Reply 677 of 757
    Quote:

Maybe, it's possible.  And you'll probably still refer to them as "the twins" in casual conversation.  And if you want one, but you aren't sure which one, you might say "one of the twins".

Because it's a collective, general term, which is precisely the point.

And no, we shouldn't rename the holidays to generic names, no one is suggesting that.  No one is suggesting in any way downgrading or reducing Christmas, or any other holiday.  But when you need to refer to the holidays collectively and inclusively to a person or people of unknown denomination, then "happy holidays" (or similar) is probably the best way to do it.  If you want insist on saying "Merry Christmas" to all and sundry, well that's fine too, but being less specific is likely to be a better idea.

• Reply 678 of 757
    Fine. Point to my post that has this "attitude".

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?! All the ones where you say that you say you tell everyone Merry Christmas without consideration for other cultures, as well as all the ones you claim that not saying Merry Christmas to everyone — as opposed to just those that celebrate the holiday — will somehow "dilute" the meaning of Christmas and wear away your persecuted religion.
  • Reply 679 of 757
    Quote:

You disapprove of Happy Christmas and are inclined not to tolerate it, but replace it with a bland, generic meaningless platitude; I disagree.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't disapprove of it.  I think it's a less appropriate means of addressing someone of unknown faith than "happy holidays", but it's still a relatively nice thing to say to someone.

I not only tolerate it, I approve of it.  I just approve of the alternative a bit more, and I don't think it's bland or meaningless - it includes Christmas, Hannukah, Solstice,, New Year and more besides!  And if it's a platitude then so is "Merry Christmas", so you can stick that one up your ass and blow.

• Reply 680 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

No-one goes around telling everyone else to enjoy their customs. Once again, you're projecting your own insecurity in your own beliefs.