Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    On a recent trip through Heathrow, I immediately noticed that the charging stations were populated by almost ALL cellphones OTHER than iPhones.

I remember seeing a couple Samsung, and a few Nokia Windows phones.

G
  • Reply 42 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Just in case, if your current phone has been upgraded from iOS 4-5-6 etc, using OTA, then you might see an increase in battery life if you perform a iCloud backup of the device, then put it into DFU mode, and perform a complete restore via iTunes on a Mac or PC, then restore from your iCloud backup. This could dramatically increase your battery life, as it eliminate all the upgrade crud left behind during all the past upgrades.

Ive read this technique before in several places.

Bu this - if its true is rather sad and pathetic - that users are expected jump through hippos like this, to maybe correct for old bits of code lying around - if its true then certain engineers / programmers at Apple should be embarrassed.

• Reply 43 of 162
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Ive read this technique before in several places.

Bu this - if its true is rather sad and pathetic - that users are expected jump through hippos like this, to maybe correct for old bits of code lying around - if its true then certain engineers / programmers at Apple should be embarrassed.

if TRUE

certain engineers/programmers at Apple should be embarrassed

• Reply 44 of 162
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

users are expected jump through hippos

Hippo fillers in the jungle jump

• Reply 45 of 162
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

The iPhone does have battery management both in hardware and software. I have a 4s and it's still trucking along with about the same battery life as when it was new. Now I do need to charge it before the day is through, but I also use it quite heavily.

• Reply 46 of 162
    Sooooo let me get this straight. We're suppose to be impressive with Sammy's batter life due to their bigger battery pack?

Are they really making attempt to use this tactic as their selling point?!

Come on Sammy, you an do better than this. What a sad, and pathetic attempt trying to allure iPhone users to think otherwise.

Yeah, let's revisit this topic when we get our iPhone 6 with similar size in batter pack.

Nice try though.
  • Reply 47 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

On a recent trip through Heathrow, I immediately noticed that the charging stations were populated by almost ALL cellphones OTHER than iPhones.

I remember seeing a couple Samsung, and a few Nokia Windows phones.

G

As a frequent flyer, I notice almost every device I see "hugging the wall" is a laptop of some kind and a smattering of phones from various manufacturers.

• Reply 48 of 162
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that Samsung has installed lots of Samsung branded charging stations at airports around the country in 2008. Please just google "samsung charging stations airports". So, Samsung seems to be a little more than hypocritical. Don't any of you recall seeing these Samsung charging stations???
  • Reply 49 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

if TRUE

not sure I get your point?

are you saying it IS TRUE? That performing this procedure really fixes a battery drain issue? If so - how have you confirmed that to be the case?

• Reply 50 of 162

I dunno, whenever I'm at the airport, I see a share of Samsung users plugged in, too. Not sure what they're doing with the juice, but they seem to drink it too.

• Reply 51 of 162
    The idiotic nature of Samsung's brainless commercials usually never ceases to amaze me, but in this situation their ads are ironically self-serving. The vast majority of people huddle around those wall plugs are Galaxy S3 and S4 owners. Now they can appeal to the only people that would ever buy their phones. No idea where they get this battery life supposition from. Perfect example. Right now I am enjoying myself at Disney World (so awesome-free wi-fi! Yay!) with family. My brother-in-law (an S3 owner) and myself have spent the entire day using our phones for taking videos, checking out stuff on the internet, and basically other moderate-use tasks. His S3 died just before dinner! My good old iPhone 4 (I am a proud owner) still has 44% power left! And that's after streaming a baseball game and typing out this post, too! I cannot definitively speak to the validity of Samsung's claims on the S5 battery life, but here in the real world, in real-life situations, the battery life of my iPhone is second-to-none. And that's after five years!
  • Reply 52 of 162
    this is my thought on this, I use my iphone for work, for playing games, checking news and just about everything I would normally do on a pc while bullshitting. i use personal hotspot mode when my actual work phone (Casio gz1) can't get service ... and yet I manage to be at 20% after about 10-12 hours of use. but during my endeavors out and about, I don't see people with iPhone "wall hugging". it's usually guess what, Samsung users.

Ohh and I've had my phone for 2 years almost. so why is it that apple users are wall huggers? cause we use our phones for their intended use.. EVERYTHING!!

where droid users not so much
  • Reply 53 of 162
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    So let me get this straight ... Samsung is saying that their best feature is that the battery lasts a long time if you don't use the device?

This reminds me of the people that leave the plastic on their sofas in the living room they never use ...

Fwiw, if iOS users want to extend the life of their devices, it's as easy as swiping up control center and hitting the Bluetooth and wifi buttons. Also, check that Airdrop is off. Then hit the power button - look, it's ultra power saving mode!
  • Reply 54 of 162
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Samsung IS a BAD COMPANY that makes SHODDY PRODUCTS.

Nobody tell him his iPhone has integral Samsung-made parts in it.
  • Reply 55 of 162
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    I dunno, whenever I'm at the airport, I see a share of Samsung users plugged in, too. Not sure what they're doing with the juice, but they seem to drink it too.

No, you are misunderstanding - they are charging their extra battery because they can't trust that the main one won't die when they use the device in non-UPSM.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    lowepg wrote: »
    I think its naive to think they [Apple] don't play hardball right back with their marketing

Is that so?
    In which case name or describe a single iPhone advert by Apple which even mentions a competing product.
  • Reply 57 of 162
    That's really great capability Sammy, switch off all the "smartphone" features to save battery life and you're left with .... a basic phone... and one which you can hardly see because the brightness has been turned down

"Look out Apple, we can save more battery life still by switching the phone feature off"

I can see Tim quaking in his boots or at least rolling around laughing.
  • Reply 58 of 162
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Is that so?

In which case name or describe a single iPhone advert by Apple which even mentions a competing product.

I didn't say iPhone, I said Apple.... you know... the guys who make iPhones.

Apple directly lambasted Microsoft for YEARS (very effectively). So I don't buy this "holier than thou" stance.... it's a joke. Apple hasn't needed to get in the competitions face with iphone- because its been a rock star (well- except during antena-gate). But Apple can and has taken off the gloves when its needed to.

Personally I think the Samsung stuff is petty and not likely to have much of an effect at all - except perhaps to backfire. Although, the fact that so many people here are so agitated by it might mean they struck a nerve with some of the faithful...who knows.

All I know is my battery life is not what it used to be... I'd like it to get better. Im hoping for some improvement with my upcoming iphone6 (4.7" version please).... One issue thats contributed to my battery suck is the navigation on my phone is SO much better than the stupid built-in nag in my car that Ive found myself using it much more (sometimes i wish I would have just stuck with my garmin and skipped the built-in auto nag systems...

Anyways, peace fellow Apple enthusists! We've got a pretty awesome Fall.Winter ahead of us! (iPhone 6, yosemite, watch, etc, etc)!

• Reply 59 of 162
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    k2kw wrote: »
    And of course having a removable battery is a feature that isn't a copy from Apple.

My experience is that I've found a removable battery to be a liability, not a feature.

I had a HTC Tytn 2 before getting my first iPhone. Extra expense to get a dock which charged the Tytn II and its second battery at the same time. I don't use the Tytn II anymore so the 2nd battery is useless to me now too.

In contrast the Pocket battery with USB can be charged at any USB output and at the same time as your phone. It can be used to charge any phone, not just your own but those of associates as well. It cost no more than the removable batteries of android handsets yet is so much more versatile.
  • Reply 60 of 162
    I'm glad samsung did these physical adverts. It will be easier for me to spot a charging station. It's not like I have anything better to do in an airport.

/edit for clarity.