Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Difference is, the Mac/PC ads were funny, Samsung's aren't.

It's a blast watching a compilation of the Mac ads!

And what does that matter? Ads don't have to be funny to be effective.
  • Reply 82 of 162
    tucsonmatt wrote: »
    Who thinks that poking fun at their competition is a legitimate way to do business?

Obvious that you don't pay much attention to advertising, because companies have been doing that for eons.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Anecdotal I know, but I spend a lot of time in US airports, all over the country. My bet is few Galaxy users will see these ads since by far, the vast majority of people out there in airports seem to have iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    Even after all these years, you still get these morons who compare the latest egregious ads from Samsung or whoever with the "I'm a Mac; I'm a PC" ads. Since I cannot understand how anyone's brain could be wired so differently from that of a normal human being that they see any similarity, I can only assume it's pure trollery.

Honestly. the "I'm a Mac" ads were pointing out some of the annoyances that PC users had to put up with, and were perhaps not aware that they were avoidable. Aside from being lighthearted and funny, if they were attacking anybody, it was Micro$haft. They never said anything like: "All you people who use PCs are idiots, or sheeple", whereas that's exactly what these Samsung ads are saying about iPhone users. ("The plug is on the bottom! [head explodes]!") They are attacking Apple users, not Apple! Anyone who can't see the difference is either an imbecile, a sociopath, or autistic.
  • Reply 85 of 162
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, that’s pretty brilliant. I like these physical ads better than their initial attempt at “advertising”.

Shame* the Galaxy line is beleaguered.

*Where’s the asterisk? Here. Good on you for having the moxie to look for it! Back to the original point: IT’S NOT A SHAME AT ALL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DISMAL FAILURES.

I have to agree when I saw it was okay someone actually came up with a great marketing campaign 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey Sammy, perhaps iPhone users actual use their phones.

I said this before, iphone users are hard cord power users they are always on their phone, unlike what i see with Android phone users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

I can speak from experience Apple has far superior power management, yes the batter life declines over time but Apple is not as bad as all the Android phones. Because of work I use nothing by android phones and with in a few months the battery life drops off like you will not believe. I am on a 2 months old Android and with in first 2 hours of unplugging the phone it is at 75%. The phone it replace would not get through the morning before being dead and it was year old. People at work are not getting Samsung and they seeing the same issue. Over time Android takes over the phone and has so many background task running it kills the battery unless you run some sort utility to kill those processes. Also you will notice that if you have the phone plugged in while using it the battery over heats which is what kills the battery.

I have 3 iphones in the house and none of them over the last 7 yrs exhibit the same things I have seen on all my Android phones.

• Reply 86 of 162
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I said this before, iphone users are hard cord power users they are always on their phone, unlike what i see with Android phone users.

Did you mean 'hard core'? Also how do you know if someone is a 'Android phone user' if they're not using their phone?
  • Reply 87 of 162
    dewme wrote: »
    I'd imagine that all giant sized phones have better battery life because ... now take notes here kiddies ... they have room for bigger batteries.

Amazing how physics and geometry and battery technology works.

The problem is that at some point in the ongoing bloating evolution of smartphones you'll either have to: 1) pay for an extra seat in economy to transport your ginormophone, 2) upgrade to business class for a wider seat and longer inter-seat spacing, 3) ask for a seatbelt extension, or 4) stow your massive slab-o-phone in the overhead storage compartment. Worse yet, you may have to gate check your brontophone, or take the train. Eww. 

It always comes down to tradeoffs and compromises. 

Time to start upping your inventory of stretch cargo pants and pouched hoodies.

They also have larger screens which require more power.
  • Reply 88 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey Sammy, what can you do with your phone when it's in "Power saver mode"?
  • Reply 89 of 162
    jungmark wrote: »

You can turn it back on and use it, whereas if the battery's dead you can't.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You can turn it back on and use it, whereas if the battery's dead you can't.

And you can airplane mode an iPhone to save battery as well.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    And you can airplane mode an iPhone to save battery as well.

That's another solution that works well. You won't be getting a SGS 5 anytime soon so why concern yourself with what it can or cannot do?
  • Reply 91 of 162
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Of all the quirks and annoyances I come across on the iPhone, the battery is never one of them. In fact I have an android phone running clean android software (Moto X) as well as a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, and they tend to drain battery on standby much faster than an iPhone/iPad. That's even worse to me because i'm not using the stupid thing and if i'm not paying attention, I will be stuck at an airport charging station.

• Reply 93 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

Trashing the competitor is a bad habit that many folks execute. :( Even in my career, when our client got screwed by the last person, it gets too easy especially when driven by our passion. Praise the client on their purchase, attack the industry, and show them how to get more of what they want and less of what they don't.

That said, I'm unsure about the utility of changing your smartphone into a limited feature phone. Then again, advocates sell making two trips in an underpowered vehicle for a somewhat higher MPG rating is better than one trip in a properly powered vehicle.

• Reply 94 of 162

I believe you can call, text, email, and use the stock web browser. Need some verification though.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    I'm just waiting for the first series of photos of people charging their Samsung devices at those same exact outlets.

"I thought you didn't NEED to be HERE?" LOL
  • Reply 96 of 162
    Quote:

In July, Samsung launched a TV ad blitz bemoaning "wall huggers," or iPhone users who are in constant need of power outlets because their batteries keep dying.

TV ad blitz? Uh, has anyone actually seen any of these recent Samsung attack ads on TV or any other paid media placement? In other words, anywhere other than on a tech site or YouTube? The only Samsung Galaxy ads I see on TV are the ones with the slo-mo close-ups and review quotes, and the one highlighting the waterproof feature.

I think Samsung puts these attack spots out just to churn up controversy and page views on tech sites. Obviously, it works since every new Samsung attack ad regularly drums up pages of comments in response. No need to make an ad buy, if tech sites will post the attack spots and build content around them for free.

• Reply 97 of 162
    uiguyuiguy Posts: 27member
    Um... You might not have a battery problem when you design a mobile phone that your customers only use to make phone calls. Oh, and check the time.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Nobody tell him his iPhone has integral Samsung-made parts in it.

Nobody told you what he’s talking about, either.

Originally Posted by TucsonMatt View Post

Wait...

If only you had actually done this before making a completely irrelevant post.

• Reply 99 of 162
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Nobody tell him his iPhone has integral Samsung-made parts in it.

No one is saying that Samsung don't make good components because they do. Their Apple designed chips and screens are excellent, they are also a different arm of the company to the Samsung that copies Apple.

Also remember, Apple go to Samsung with their design and Samsung make it, they are just copying what they are told to do. However, when Samsung design their own chips and decide on their own screens for their phones, couple that with Android and it's a terrible product because Android is too inefficient for a mobile processor.

Tizen may change that but Samsung know they don't have to pay too much to get it off the ground because there are so many brainless people who know nothing about phones who will buy one even if it does run Android.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

iPhone 6 will have a SoC made by TSMC, which was the last remaining Samsung part to be ditched. iP6 will officially be Samsung-free.

No.

• Reply 100 of 162
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Samsung is a corrupt, soulless corporation. And, one that is incapable of doing software

My bet is they have already peaked

Samsung simply has the Korean strong minded bash them culture. Also they aren't as creative as we are.

Apple has put the squeeze on their iPhone copying, now they are hitting the iPhone users.

I'm one iPhone user who is insulted by their bash them approach, so it actually drives me away from Samsung.

I'll not give in to their intimidate them approach.

With regard to charging, I know from experience my iPhone charge lasts longer than the Samsung, for similar use.

The many iPhone are wanting a charge before their flight, because they use their iPhone's significantly.

I occasionally try a Samsung phone at their local store.  Recently I noticed that Google Maps gives a significantly clearer display on my iPhone4 than the latest Samsung phone.

Perhaps Google is upset at Samsung for them starting to switch away from android.  Not surprising as Google makes a ton of advertising income from  their spyware android.