Apple hires superstar designer Marc Newson, to work with personal friend Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung have design staff?

Good point. Let me rephrase it: "Samsung would fire half of the staff to have Ive on board"

• Reply 23 of 126
    canukstorm wrote: »

or better yet, you can't have two captains on one ship.

Where are you getting two captains from? There's only one guy in charge of design at apple. Not two.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

excuse my lack of knowledge but is this guy really THAT good? I searched and couldn't find much on the guy other than a few cool couches and watches.

Well, he has designed a spaceship:

And a car:

And a boat:

And a jet-pack:

And something I personally own, a dish drainer:  

• Reply 25 of 126
    Looking at his Wikipedia page, it is clearly that Marc Newson is hired to design the iCar for Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Well, he has designed a spaceship:

And a car:

And a boat:

And a jet-pack:

And something I personally own, a dish drainer:  

I was hoping you owned the spaceship

• Reply 27 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Looking at his Wikipedia page, it is clearly that Marc Newson is hired to design the iCar for Apple.

iWant one.

• Reply 28 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Newson said Google Glass wearers look like dicks. I think he'll fit right in at Apple. :smokey:
  • Reply 29 of 126
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I want an Apple car using Tesla’s tech. I can’t see myself needing to buy anything else ever again.

If it’s just a standard skateboard drivetrain, I’d love to plop a DeLorean body on it.

• Reply 30 of 126
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

In electronics, Ive is the king. Where else would he want to go, Samsung? LOL. I bet that Samsung would fire half of design staff in order to have Ive on board, but it will never happen. The last place that Ive would go is an Android/Windows device manufacturer.

Oh come on, the challenge of bringing modernity to the washer/dryer combo would be irresistible for Ive.

Sammy just has to ask.

• Reply 31 of 126
    Newson has designed watches in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts him to work there.

0011.jpg

dezeen_Marc-Newson-25.jpg
  • Reply 32 of 126
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Has he designed any computers before?

• Reply 33 of 126
    [I]Shit just got real, y'all.[/i]
  • Reply 34 of 126
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Awesome hire! Newson's design abilities are equal to or even above Ive's!!

hy am I feeling Jony might be setting the stage for leaving Apple to pursue something else not related to electronics? 

In fact, I felt the same.  two swords cannot stay together. 

Damn, that sounds gay.

• Reply 35 of 126
    This is all about reducing pressure on Ive and setting in stage a succession plan should Apple ever need one. Ive is as valuable and irreplaceable to the company now as Jobs was during his time. There was no back-up in place. And now there is.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    Shit just got real, y'all.

According to the WSJ, Newson has been working for Apple for quite some time. There's a reason it was leaked now. I wouldn't be surprised if Newson was involved with the "iWatch" design.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/05/apple-hires-design-guru-marc-newson/
  • Reply 37 of 126
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Shit just got real, y'all.

Yes!

I can't wait to see what the iPhone 7 will look like with Marc Newson's input.

• Reply 38 of 126
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Newson has designed watches in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts him to work there.

With Apple's hire of Newson, plus the suspect comments made by Jony the other day (Switzerland is f*cked), I am starting to wonder if the iWatch will be a classic-watch/smart-watch hybrid. Maybe a mechanical watch with a digital screen overlaying it?

• Reply 39 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well apparently he will be based out of the UK and allowed to work on other projects so I wonder if it's a full time gig.

Yea I was wondering about that as well, in another article it just said he would flying in and such. It's always hard working abroad. 

• Reply 40 of 126
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

In fact, I felt the same.  two swords cannot stay together. 

But they're not going to be together. They'll be separated by 6000 miles. Yes, they'll collaborate, but I have the feeling they'll also maintain a bit of independence. If Ive is smart (and we know he is), he'll hand projects off to Newson and let him run with them, somewhat free of tethers.