Apple hires superstar designer Marc Newson, to work with personal friend Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Brings to my mind Steve talking about how only A players hire A players while B players hire C players. Do we still hear of any pundits, bloggers, or posters complaining that Tim is no A player, has no vision, and is a disastrous choice for Apple CEO? What's Blodget squawking these days? How about Chowdhry? Lyons?
    No now people are complaining Apple has too many cooks in the kitchen and all these "celebrity" hires mean the death of Apple as we know it.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Jon looks like the type of guy that'll rip your eyes out. Then use them to seamlessly make you understand not to mess with him.
    Um, don't mess with Sir Jon Ive.
    Tuesday can't come fast enough. Yeah!!!!!!!
  • Reply 103 of 126
    rogifan wrote: »
    Newson has designed watches in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts him to work there.

0011.jpg

dezeen_Marc-Newson-25.jpg

I don't care for those at all.

Nor does the chunky watch Newson is wearing inspire confidence, or his naff polo shirt. Men of taste wear shirts or t-shirts. Polo shirts are the Surfaces of fashion.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    flaneur wrote: »
    I was going to skip this video, so thanks for the prompt. It's amazing how they approach the same goal of simplicity from two slightly different but complementary positions, like you say. Definitely have to see this to know how big a deal this is for Apple, and for us ultimately. Even if it just rattles the trees of the droids, like Mac-sochist so well characterizes above, it's a huge step for the value of "design is how it works." They also are saying "design is how it can be made," by the way, a line of thinking I find very revealing.

Oh yes, this is a huge deal!

Apple really does now have the 2 leading industrial designers in the world... that are already good friends... and have previously proven that they can work and create together in harmony to create awesome products. That alone is immense if you've ever been in a design studio and have had to deal with artist egos before(!!!) Now add what I believe as well to be the "secret iWatch project"... and I can only imagine... actually... no I can't... what they've come up with for an elegant solution(s).

Observance from the interview: both of these guys are just crazy deep in design philosophy, processes, etc. and understand what they're talking about, and with each other so very well... that they were at times having a difficult time trying to whittle down their answers so that any one else could possibly understand them. They did a really great job... but you can see a glimpse I think of how they collaborate: a smile here, a raised eyebrow there, or a simple line on paper to communicate a curve (Jony said that). How minimalist and "tuned in" to each other is THAT?!!!

I think there's no (more) doubt that Jony was in deep sorrow at the passing of SJ more than most people realized. He may even some day say he made some "mistakes" after the loss. But damn doesn't that just make him even more cool? He's human... and he needs someone on his level to collaborate with to truly get down to the essence of his designs and ideas. That's the continuous drive and search for perfection that he and SJ had in common and bonded over. Even cooler if he recognized it himself that he needed that bond again with someone he deeply respected, and asked Tim Cook to make it happen with Marc... and without so much as a blink, TC replied with, "Done. When do ya want him to start being on the payroll".

Some people already think I'm a freak... so I'm not afraid to say that just gives a grown man goose bumps if it's anywhere close to what happened!

Good thinking.

So you're effectively saying that Newson is acting like a replacement for Jobs to an extent. Someone who can criticise him freely, and reign his ideas in. In short, someone to say "No" a thousand times and "Yes" once.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    rogifan wrote: »
    Here's another great interview with Newson:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/03/27/marc-newson-interview-design-industry-pathetic/

I especially love his comments about Google Glass.
    "What Google have done thus far, I wouldn’t be seen dead wearing. It really looks pretty stupid," he said. "It's a little bit like that wonderful invention called the Segway. It’s such a fantastic piece of technology but you just look like a complete dick when you drive around on it.

"That's precisely the moment when I think the fashion world laughs at the world of industrial design, justifiably."

Good quote! That's reassuring to hear from Newson.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Apple could wind up like Porsche. Most people don't realize that cars are a small sideline for them nowadays—and other people, like Karmann, actually build them anyway. (But they're never going to give up cars, any more than Apple will give up computers, so chill!)

You're not referring to Porsche Design are you? That's completely separate from Porsche A.G., the car company. Design was started by a nephew, I believe, of Porsche founder Ferry Porsche and A.G. actually sued to stop Design using the Porsche trade name (and obviously didn't succeed).

Really? I'd always thought that it was a branch of Porsche, the car company. Seriously.
  • Reply 107 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good thinking.

So you're effectively saying that Newson is acting like a replacement for Jobs to an extent. Someone who can criticise him freely, and reign his ideas in. In short, someone to say "No" a thousand times and "Yes" once.
    I would argue his replacement for Jobs is more around being a partner and collaborator. These guys are best friends and they worked together on that RED auction. My guess is they really enjoyed working together and now with Apple getting in to wearables Ive felt it was a good idea to hire someone with experience in that space.

I highly doubt Newson was hired to be just another designer on Ive's design team. He seems a bit overqualified for that. What if Ive tasks him with overseeing Apple's wearables designs? He's going to be based out of London so maybe Apple opens a satellite design studio in London and hire more designers with experience in the fashion industry. Ive would still oversee all Apple design but Newson would have specific responsibilities. His wife is a fashion designer so he has ties to the industry. Only thing I'm curious about is Newson has basically been independent contractor for most of his career. It will be interesting to see how he fits into a corporate structure after being his own boss for so long.

Of course thinking of Apple getting more and more into fashion is probably revolting for some but I do think that's one place they're headed. Hiring Marc Newson is just another confirmation in my mind.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    maccherry wrote: »
    Jon looks like the type of guy that'll rip your eyes out. Then use them to seamlessly make you understand not to mess with him.
    Um, don't mess with Sir Jon Ive.
    Tuesday can't come fast enough. Yeah!!!!!!!

By looks alone... and then you watch, listen and observe his overall body language and demeanor... and realize the guy is probably really nice and just an intense Designer Teddy Bear...8-)

02 DAYS - 01 HOURS - 45 MINUTES -> Apple 3.0
  • Reply 109 of 126

I must say they did make me do a double-take at first glance as well. Although, it is often that you have to feel and touch a design... before you can really "feel" it's worth.

I had a similar reaction to his glasses collection for Safilo, which I first saw in this post, also caused quite a stir in the comments.

It "could be"... and we might surmise already... that his designs or that of the iWatch if he was involved... could be polarizing. Until you see and feel them in person.
    Nor does the chunky watch Newson is wearing inspire confidence, or his naff polo shirt. Men of taste wear shirts or t-shirts. Polo shirts are the Surfaces of fashion.

While the watch is surely a taste thing... I take (mild) offense at your categorizing of polo shirts! I happen to love 'em in the summer... almost as much as rugby shirts in the winter. More dress-up than a T and far more rugged and utilitarian, yet casual and comfortable than a button down. That could also be a biased opinion, in that when I'm allowed to wear one, I'm snuggled up in my studio working... rather than sweating the details or presentation at a client.

02 DAYS - 01 HOURS - 29 MINUTES -> Apple 3.0
  • Reply 110 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I must say they did make me do a double-take at first glance as well. Although, it is often that you have to feel and touch a design... before you can really "feel" it's worth.

I had a similar reaction to his glasses collection for Safilo, which I first saw in this post, also caused quite a stir in the comments.

It "could be"... and we might surmise already... that his designs or that of the iWatch if he was involved... could be polarizing. Until you see and feel them in person.
    Quote:

While the watch is surely a taste thing... I take (mild) offense at your categorizing of polo shirts! I happen to love 'em in the summer... almost as much as rugby shirts in the winter. More dress-up than a T and far more rugged and utilitarian, yet casual and comfortable than a button down. That could also be a biased opinion, in that when I'm allowed to wear one, I'm snuggled up in my studio working... rather than sweating the details or presentation at a client.

02 DAYS - 01 HOURS - 29 MINUTES -> Apple 3.0

Your offence is misplaced; good taste is good taste. Rugby shirts are fine, though. The problem with polo shirts is that they're scruffy-so why not just wear a t-shirt and be done with it? A t-shirt is honest. A shirt is smart. That's my philosophy on the matter and you're never going to change it.

• Reply 111 of 126
    Your offence is misplaced; good taste is good taste. Rugby shirts are fine, though. The problem with polo shirts is that they're scruffy-so why not just wear a t-shirt and be done with it? A t-shirt is honest. A shirt is smart. That's my philosophy on the matter and you're never going to change it.

I wouldn't dare try to change your "philosophy".... just wondering where you're seeing that all polos are "scruffy"?

Are we talking about the same style of shirt from the likes of Lacoste. Joop!, Boss... or many of the other brands that make golf, boating and tennis shirts as casual wear... that I also consider, "polo shirts"?
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

I wouldn't dare try to change your "philosophy".... just wondering where you're seeing that all polos are "scruffy"?

Are we talking about the same style of shirt from the likes of Lacoste. Joop!, Boss... or many of the other brands that make golf, boating and tennis shirts as casual wear... that I also consider, "polo shirts"?

Yep. No matter how well-designed and classy the materials are, it's always a halfway house. It says to the observer: I'm casual, but I might be smart; I'm sitting on the fence; I don't know my own mind.

Hope that's not too harsh.

• Reply 113 of 126
    Yep. No matter how well-designed and classy the materials are, it's always a halfway house. It says to the observer: I'm casual, but I might be smart; I'm sitting on the fence; I don't know my own mind.

Do polo shirts have any connection to chavs in England?
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Do polo shirts have any connection to chavs in England?

Now you're getting onto sensitive ground. Some would say so, others wouldn't. 

• Reply 115 of 126
    Now you're getting onto sensitive ground. Some would say so, others wouldn't. 

I think the various class distinctions in England are lost on us Americans. Sorry if any are offended by the question.
  • Reply 116 of 126
    Quote:

If I'm design chief of the most acclaimed consumer products company on the planet, agree to an interview arranged by my company's PR department (because you know that is the only way this happens) and it subsequently comes to my attention the interviewer has included these kind of inane observations on how I dress,  I will instruct the PR department that no future interviews will be granted to that individual. Nor to any employees of the publication by whom he or she is employed, as long as that employment continues. If the individual is employed or contracts to another media company, the embargo is extended and is appended to the subsequent company.

Not as a vindictive move, mind you, but because I would not waste my time explaining the focus of my work to writers and editors who can't define the focus of their own.

• Reply 117 of 126
    cityguide wrote: »

If I'm design chief of the most acclaimed consumer products company on the planet, agree to an interview arranged by my company's PR department (because you know that is the only way this happens) and it subsequently comes to my attention the interviewer has included these kind of inane observations on how I dress,  I will instruct the PR department that no future interviews will be granted to that individual. Nor to any employees of the publication by whom he or she is employed, as long as that employment continues. If the individual is employed or contracts to another media company, the embargo is extended and is appended to the subsequent company.

Not as a vindictive move, mind you, but because I would not waste my time explaining the focus of my work to writers and editors who can't define the focus of their own.

The interviewer didn't comment on Ive's dress in this video, so your observation is moot.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

No, I'm referring to Porsche KG, the firm of consulting engineers that probably designed the valve train in that Korean car that only brags that it was "styled by Giugiaro". They also incidentally design cars, which are built by independent coachbuilders such as Karmann.

Didn't know about that.  Thanks!

• Reply 119 of 126
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Newson started a Swiss watch company called Ikepod. The watchmaker filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and Newson is no longer affiliated with the firm.

Sounds like the ideal guy to design the iWatch

/s

• Reply 120 of 126
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Newson has designed watches in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts him to work there.

dezeen_Marc-Newson-25.jpg

Wait. That will never work. It has things where you can reach them and use them.