Apple hires superstar designer Marc Newson, to work with personal friend Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    He didn't just design some watches, he graduated with a degree in jewelry and sculptures and he has his own line of watches called Ikepod.

I am damn sure he helped Apple with the iWatch design and formally joined afterward after seeing how good it was to work with Jony Ive.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Newson has designed watches in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts him to work there.

0011.jpg

dezeen_Marc-Newson-25.jpg
  • Reply 42 of 126
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

They'll be separated by 6000 miles.

Why?

If Ive is smart (and we know he is), he'll hand projects off to Newson and let him run with them, somewhat free of tethers.  

I imagine it’d be the other way around.

• Reply 43 of 126
    Dream Team!
    So pumped about this news!
    Bring it APPLE DESIGN TEAM!
  • Reply 44 of 126
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    malo wrote: »
    Dream Team!
    So pumped about this news!
    Bring it APPLE DESIGN TEAM!

is the dream team complete?

Anyone else Apple should hire?
  • Reply 45 of 126
    This is just going to enrage the Aspie-Nerd-Fandroid-Geek patrol even further. They are deeply, viscerally insulted that anyone could pay any attention to aesthetics, or ergonomics, or even choosing components so you're not wasting money on a higher spec for some part that can't be used because of the other parts in the chain. It's "Form over function" and "Arrogance" and "Elitism", and "Being left in the dust", because as we all know, "function" means having at least one component that you can brag about as having higher specs than everyone else, whether that performance is of any use in this particular unit or not. "Design" is so gay!
  • Reply 46 of 126
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

…”function" means having at least one component that you can brag about as having higher specs than everyone else, whether that performance is of any use in this particular unit or not.

Splendid. This is quite the accurate portrayal.

• Reply 47 of 126
    I just watched a video of stuff he made, which includes a spaceship. It all looks very nice but I'm not seeing anything that I'm blown away by.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 48 of 126
    Why is it that as soon as someone becomes a celebrity, we as "normal" people tend to talk and think about them as well... something other than people and they don't do normal people things anymore.

What I'm getting at is that Jony and Marc have been buddies for a long time. They get together, write emails, chat on the phone just like we do with close friends. Quite obviously they are intense designers and I can't imagine a chat goes by without talking about design, processes, things and people they've discovered.

So yeah... while Marc may not have sketches and designs in front of his face due to NDAs, his friendship and I'm sure his input has found it's way into many designs that we attribute solely to Jony Ive.

Creation and great design is not achieved in a vacuum. Close relationships have a lot to do with allowing and assisting a designer, celebrity... or anyone for that matter... truly shine and do their best work.

We've known for ages that Samsung, MS, Google are borderline dysfunctional. Maybe it says something about their hiring practises, only looking at ladder-climbers, backstabbers, and the greediest to fill they're offices and design studios. Maybe it is those offices that are filled with the not so normal people among us, and it extends to the fans of their products? Would make for an interesting socialogy thesis anyway :)
  • Reply 49 of 126
    Bono looks like a pedofile. I wish he would disappear from anything to do with Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I just watched a video of stuff he made, which includes a spaceship. It all looks very nice but I'm not seeing anything that I'm blown away by.

The microjet was interesting. I wonder if it would actually work. I’d’ve liked to see the entirety of the spaceship, as well. Proper placement of RCS thrusters on the nose do not an astrodynamic design make.

• Reply 51 of 126
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Not another Englishman though: Newson was born in Sydney, Australia, where in 1984 he graduated at the Sydney College of the Arts%u2026 He is currently adjunct professor in design at Sydney College of the Arts (where he first studied sculpture and jewellery) and is the creative director for Qantas.

He a jewellery, sculpture and consume designer not an industrial designer; so I see him complementing Ive not (ever) as a replacement or competitor.
  • Reply 52 of 126
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Great! Now bring back Tony Fadell please.

• Reply 53 of 126
    Bono looks like a pedofile. I wish he would disappear from anything to do with Apple.

And possibly you look like a murderer to some... should you be sent straight to jail based on your looks? In this particular case I think you should, so that we never have to suffer such a stupid comment agian from you...:no:
  • Reply 54 of 126
    John Gruber linked to the Charlie Rose interview he did with Marc and Jony.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563008

Worth watching again, and you can really see how these 2 compliment and communicate on a very special level with each other.
  • Reply 55 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Here's a comment from Yves Behar.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9972bf9a-354c-11e4-aa47-00144feabdc0.html#slide0
    “Marc is a rare high-calibre designer,” said Yves Behar, the founder of San Francisco design agency Fuseproject. “Marc has always been in love with watches, even building a watch company such as Ikepod from the ground up.”

IF we get an Apple wearable on Tuesday I wouldn't be surprised if Newson was involved in the design.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Thanks for that video link. I see a lot of sympathy in those designs. Nothing to be blown away by, like you say, but that's probably the point. They're not meant to overwhelm but to fit in with our innate sensibilities. In the case of the jet and the spaceship, the idea is to fit in with the air at high speed as well, of course. I also like the complete lack of aggression in the little city car.

Humane designs, in other words, which is refreshing in these times of extremity for its own sake. So now Apple has two master sculptors on the job who seem to follow similar dictates out of a love of tactility and the material. Seems like great news.
  • Reply 57 of 126

If Newson worked on any upcoming Apple wearables, I'm sure they will be beautiful based solely on those above photos. However, I'm wondering if Ive didn't want him to come on board to be his 'no' guy. Steve Jobs probably said 'no' a lot more to Jony than we can fathom. Maybe Jony feels that for upcoming products of great magnitude, he needs someone that he values as a designer to say 'no'. This will continue to keep him pushing for the best possible design, rather than resting what he thinks is the best he can do.

• Reply 58 of 126
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cali wrote: »
    is the dream team complete?

Anyone else Apple should hire?

Me me me me! ...

• Reply 59 of 126
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to the WSJ, Newson has been working for Apple for quite some time. There's a reason it was leaked now. I wouldn't be surprised if Newson was involved with the "iWatch" design.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/05/apple-hires-design-guru-marc-newson/

The timing of this hire suggests to me that Newson was involved in the design of the iWatch. Consider, if he were involved, then you need to acknowledge this; you wouldn't leave his name absent from the credits. And if the idea was to contract his assistance toward an eventual full-time position, you need to make that public in order to give him proper credit at the iWatch unveiling. Otherwise you'd risk backlash from the pundits suggesting Apple needed to go outside to get the talent needed for the iWatch design; that Jony Ive wasn't up to the task. By making it official the message becomes, Apple is expanding its design team by hiring one of the world's top industrial designers to work with Jony. Apple controls the message.

Consider, if he were not involved, announcing his hiring just prior to the iWatch announcement potentially dilutes Jony Ive's contribution to the design. If the iWatch were all Jony Ive and his existing team, then you'd wait until after the iWatch reveal, where Ive would get full credit without distracting from that credit with the news of this new significant hire, then announce that you are adding to the team to expand its capabilities for future design work.

So I strongly believe Newson worked on the iWatch design under contract with Apple. the project allowed both parties to get a feel for how they could work together and at some point along the way they determined there is a great fit here, and came together on an arrangement to bring him aboard and announce it concurrent with the iWatch reveal (timed just prior to the reveal to allow the announcement its own news cycle for a few days so that it wouldn't distract or take too much focus off the iWatch review news cycle that's about to begin).
  • Reply 60 of 126
    The timing of this hire suggests to me that Newson was involved in the design of the iWatch. Consider, if he were involved, then you need to acknowledge this; you wouldn't leave his name absent from the credits. And if the idea was to contract his assistance toward an eventual full-time position, you need to make that public in order to give him proper credit at the iWatch unveiling. Otherwise you'd risk backlash from the pundits suggesting Apple needed to go outside to get the talent needed for the iWatch design; that Jony Ive wasn't up to the task. By making it official the message becomes, Apple is expanding its design team by hiring one of the world's top industrial designers to work with Jony. Apple controls the message.

Consider, if he were not involved, announcing his hiring just prior to the iWatch announcement potentially dilutes Jony Ive's contribution to the design. If the iWatch were all Jony Ive and his existing team, then you'd wait until after the iWatch reveal, where Ive would get full credit without distracting from that credit with the news of this new significant hire, then announce that you are adding to the team to expand its capabilities for future design work.

So I strongly believe Newson worked on the iWatch design under contract with Apple. the project allowed both parties to get a feel for how they could work together and at some point along the way they determined there is a great fit here, and came together on an arrangement to bring him aboard and announce it concurrent with the iWatch reveal (timed just prior to the reveal to allow the announcement its own news cycle for a few days so that it wouldn't distract or take too much focus off the iWatch review news cycle that's about to begin).

+1 !!!! And also "tips" to the other posters Rogifan, Flaneur, and Maccaguy for writing some nice posts on the subject. Nothing to add=100% agree!