Photos and video purportedly detail working 'iPhone 6,' hint at Passbook-based mobile payments

Comments

• Reply 121 of 189
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It’s equally possible that the current approach to PB will be jettisoned since, after all, we’d need hundreds of ‘apps' on our phone to be able to access the PB-related features of every establishment to which we make payments...

Yeah, I’m really not happy with that. I think the complexity of the current system is what has kept it from meaning much to most people.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I suspect these are fake. iPhones have always had a completely flat surface glass (edge-to-edge), but the screen glass in the phone in the video appears have rounded edges. Here's what I mean:

Yeah, but... all the rumors and patents these days talk about curved glass.

• Reply 122 of 189
    cheap-o design. Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s were much better
  • Reply 123 of 189
    Check it out!, iPhone 5s destroys Samsung Crap Note 4 in daily use performance

As always Shamesung trash can handle the truth
  • Reply 124 of 189
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member

Worst. Thread. Ever.

I just came back from a weeks holiday with no internet. I had intended to tough out the next 2 days so I could avoid shit like this. Sadly, my curiosity got the better of me and I just had to look!  Really wish my resolve had been better.

Seriously, this has been a lesson in how not to debate.  So I suggest everyone "S'sTFU", and "G'sTFO".  I only wish I could 'make me' do it myself.

See you Monday for the last chance saloon for utter diatribe. 

• Reply 125 of 189
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stuffe wrote: »
    Worst. Thread. Ever.

[...]

See you Monday for the last chance saloon for utter diatribe. 

Nazi I see you first.

(A shitty pun and Godwin's Law. Now it's the worst thread ever.)
  • Reply 126 of 189
    You '....stand by [your] statement 110%'? That's not logically possible.

An idiotic assertion like that pretty much sums up the style and substance of your posts.
    Not as idiotic as you not recognizing that the term 110% had no correlation to actual math but rather an expression attempting to show my conviction, something which went straight over your head, which you then used to try and justify your attack on me, nice try...
  • Reply 127 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, but... all the rumors and patents these days talk about curved glass.

I supposed we'll know in less than 48 hours, not much time left for speculation!

• Reply 128 of 189
  • Reply 129 of 189
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I supposed we'll know in less than 48 hours, not much time left for speculation!

Thank goodness. I'm exhausted.

• Reply 130 of 189
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I can't stop laughing when the few said it was a fake and at the same breadth mentioned rumor sites saying it was.

Great, guys rumor sites debunking a rumor.

The leak looks highly legitimate to me.

1) The fit and finish of the device is extremely precise. It matches parts from earlier leaks and is a believable evolution of the design.

2) Nothing in the software looks out of place and the screen is highly responsive.

3) If you had the capability to manufacture something to those tolerances why would your squander it on outright cloning instead of building your own products and business?

4) If the primary evidence against this being genuine leak is that an unknown individual of questionable moral integrity would posses the self-restraint to not get in front of a camera then... checkmate.

• Reply 131 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The leak looks highly legitimate to me.

1) The fit and finish of the device is extremely precise. It matches parts from earlier leaks and is a believable evolution of the design.

2) Nothing in the software looks out of place and the screen is highly responsive.

3) If you had the capability to manufacture something to those tolerances why would your squander it on outright cloning instead of building your own products and business?

4) If the primary evidence against this being genuine leak is that an unknown individual of questionable moral integrity would posses the self-restraint to not get in front of a camera then... checkmate.

Yeah, after looking at several other videos I changed my idea. No way they would've reproduced the iOS 8 interface in such precision.

And indeed, the casing finition is much better than any other clones we've seen. The screen is perfectly integrated into the casing curves, something we didn't see before this.

• Reply 132 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccaguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Slurpy's responses have been applause worthy.

Hear, hear! I love to read when someone takes a troll to task.

I don't. The trolls thrive on it. To them attention is attention, getting so little positive reinforcement in their lives they take what they can get.

The "enough already" to Apple ][ was one thing, but abusing everyone who says anything anti-Apple is a bit much.

• Reply 133 of 189
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    [quote name="anantksundaram"

'Every major airline'? Try finding on Passbook (just naming some of the bigger international ones, FYI) KLM/Air France, Southwest, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Virgin Airlines, LAN-TAM, Qantas, Korean Air, Are Lingus, Ryanair, China Air, SAS....[/quote]

KLM, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Qantas and SAS do have Passbook enabled apps; maybe they're not available in your region for some reason.
  • Reply 134 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Apple's iPhone is the number one selling smart phone in the world.

That's twice that's been said here, and I didn't think it was true, so I looked into it.

I can find only one report that says the iPhone 5S is number one worldwide. Dozens of sites ran with it, but all the articles are based on the same, single report.

A few months ago we saw something that put the iPhone at #1 in the USA but not worldwide. I can't remember now who reported those numbers.

IDC issed a report on smartphone sales back in April that said Samsung's variety resulted in more unit shipments overall. No single model sold more than the iPhone, but cumulative sales of their various models trounced Apple:

"At the top of the market yet again, Samsung sold 85 million phones this quarter, good for 30.2 percent share of the market, down from 31.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. Despite the share loss, with a 22 percent increase in unit shipments from the year ago period, Samsung sold more smartphones than Apple, Huawei, Lenovo and LG combined".

Not that any of that means anything to anybody, I just get a little twitch when people hyperbolize. There's obviously no question that Apple sells approximately a Shitload of iPhones. Just whether or not the 5S is "Number One in the world" depends on who you ask.

• Reply 135 of 189
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's twice that's been said here, and I didn't think it was true, so I looked into it.

I can find only one report that says the iPhone 5S is number one worldwide. Dozens of sites ran with it, but all the articles are based on the same, single report.

A few months ago we saw something that put the iPhone at #1 in the USA but not worldwide. I can't remember now who reported those numbers.

IDC issed a report on smartphone sales back in April that said Samsung's variety resulted in more unit shipments overall. No single model sold more than the iPhone, but cumulative sales of their various models trounced Apple:

"At the top of the market yet again, Samsung sold 85 million phones this quarter, good for 30.2 percent share of the market, down from 31.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. Despite the share loss, with a 22 percent increase in unit shipments from the year ago period, Samsung sold more smartphones than Apple, Huawei, Lenovo and LG combined".

Not that any of that means anything to anybody, I just get a little twitch when people hyperbolize. There's obviously no question that Apple sells approximately a Shitload of iPhones. Just whether or not the 5S is "Number One in the world" depends on who you ask.

All of Samsung's "smartphones" are not what is being referenced when one writes "number one selling smartphone." Note that your quote uses the plural because you're referring to all their various models. Also, it's really hard to swallow that all those very cheap handsets that just happen to run Android 2.x that aren't used for internet access and aren't very good at doing so get to be called "smart" phones. They are today's feature phone.
  • Reply 136 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Passbook is mediocre crap. I hope -- and expect -- that Apple will have something much better.

Your opinion is one that the majority of people don't share, because it's not crap, especially when weighed against the options on other platforms. I myself use Passbook daily, and couldn't live without it, and know many people who use it too. Now go away.

Actually, to be fair, I think you're both right. It's not crap, but neither do the majority of people share either view. MOST people have no idea what it is, what it's for, or how to use it. Don't believe me? Stand on any street corner in any city in the world and ask people as they pass by if they use Passbook. If you find more than one in ten who respond with something other than "What's Passbook?" I'll eat a sock.

It's not a particularly Apple-like feature in that it's application and operation are neither obvious nor intuitive. That doesn't mean they shouldn't offer it, and it's possible it may grow into something much more useful than it is now, but I think those of you who get good use out of it as it is now are a distinct minority. I applaud you and am encouraged by your success with it, I'm just not convinced most people care about it one way or the other at the moment.

• Reply 137 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

Btw, most people use the iphone 4" for apps, not web browsing.

Web browsing was one of two or three compelling issues that led me to buy an iPhone in the first place. Being able to check info on the go, instead of having to wait until I was at a computer, really appealed to me.

Boy, was I disappointed. Still am.

Hoping hoping hoping hoping hoping for a 5.5" iPhone. I'd MUCH rather carry one device of a size that's usable both as a phone and a little tablet than have to carry two, more optimized devices.

• Reply 138 of 189
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I suspect these are fake. iPhones have always had a completely flat surface glass (edge-to-edge), but the screen glass in the phone in the video appears have rounded edges. Here's what I mean:

This matches the detail of other known fakes:

All things being equal, of course. It's always possible that Apple is rounding the glass at the edges with the iPhone 6, but to date, all the iOS products have flat glass, edge-to-edge, so I think it's more likely this is a fake.

Have you considered that the rounded display edging might be an intentional evolution of the design? The point being to remove sharp edges and marry the display to the enclosure in one continuous, touchable surface. Since recent versions of iOS have introduced edge of the screen gestures this has a functional aspect in terms of improving user comfort.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Jony Ive addresses it specifically in his design overview.

It's also something I've personally been requesting since the iPhone 4S and I'm glad to see it in a device.

• Reply 139 of 189
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

We're going to need to discuss building a shrine to contain all of your awesome posts!

I'm rather "text-less" at the moment.... that's probably a good thing!

02 DAYS - 00 HOURS - 15 MINUTES -> Apple 3.0

I'm glad there are those that appreciate and agree with them. Lets me keep my sanity. It's a shitty job, but someone has to take out the trash. Thanks for your comment. 

• Reply 140 of 189

HOT HOT HOT!!

New detailed video!

The camera seems to carry a lot more detail