Rumor: Apple to launch 12-inch MacBook Air in 2015 with iPhone-inspired colors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 168
    eauvive wrote: »

There’s a fallacy here....

Could be. You'll have to take it up with the guy I got it from: Roger Penrose.

If you've read The Emperor's New Mind, it's clear that he's a nut in some areas, but as a General Relativist, I think he's considered pretty reliable.
  • Reply 62 of 168
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Because their processors are literally the only thing worth using.

Nonsense! About half of Apples shipping product base doesn't even leverage the ultimate performance that Intel can deliver. It would take very little effort on Apples part to deliver an ARM based SoC that would perform as good or better than the Intel chips in the MBA or the Mini. Especially when with ARM Apple can easily throw more cores into the chip.

Seriously pick up an iPad and experience what ARM can do in a power constrained environment. Then imagine what Apple could do with ARM if they had ten watts, twenty watts and then fourty watts of power available to use. It is silly to trash ARM because all of the current examples are highly optimized for low power usage. Take an A8 that Apple just announced and imagine it operating with a much faster RAM subsystem, a clock rate of 2.4 or 3.4 GHz instead of 1.4 and other easily added enhancements to make it more suitable for higher performance in a laptop or Mini. Such a processor would be very nice indeed.

Plus, they could probably make a 64-core processor for what Intel charges for one of their dual-core ones.
  • Reply 63 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Could be. You'll have to take it up with the guy I got it from: Roger Penrose.

If you've read The Emperor's New Mind, it's clear that he's a nut in some areas, but as a General Relativist, I think he's considered pretty reliable.

Uh. I wouldn’t fight against Penrose, besides I dote on his diamonds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_diagram). Didn’t read the book you mention, though.

Admittedly, I assumed that an electrically-charged black hole would be governed by the Schwarzschild metric, which is not the case. I’m not familiar with the valid metric in that case, but it should not be that different from a neutral black hole, unlike the Kerr metric representing rotating black holes, in which case by traversing the annular singularity you can emerge in negative-gravity folds of space (or maybe it’s just time that flows backwards) or ‘elsewhere elsewhen’. 

• Reply 64 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Apple knows what colours look good and I know whatever they select will look great!

Must be a generational thing. I looked at the line of 5C's on display at the Apple Store and thought it looked like clown puke.

• Reply 65 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm actually shocked at the resistance to colors in this thread.

Not necessarily colour per se, but rather the notion of the kind of repellant shades Apple has recently embraced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple could choose a poor color that just looks out of place but I would tend to believe they have self control and would choose from a pleasing set of colors.

Look at the 5C and see if you still feel that way! ;)

• Reply 66 of 168
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

There is no such thing as time, that’s a fallacy introduced by Newtonian thought.

I’m going to use this argument the next time someone whines to me about how the whole world should be on UTC or tries to tell me that I should stop petitioning to get my state off DST.

Seriously pick up an iPad and experience what ARM can do in a power constrained environment. Then imagine what Apple could do with ARM if they had ten watts, twenty watts and then fourty watts of power available to use.

You know, I never thought of it that way. Whenever I think of ARM-based chips in computers, I think of them from the perspective of the relative power (processing) of modern ARM chips vs. x86. It’s so easy to forget that the power (electricity) constraints there are purposefully done.

• Reply 67 of 168
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There is no such thing as time, that’s a fallacy introduced by Newtonian thought.

I’m going to use this argument the next time someone whines to me about how the whole world should be on UTC or tries to tell me that I should stop petitioning to get my state off DST.

Any chance we can apply that principle to the backlog of iPhone shipments???

• Reply 68 of 168
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Any chance we can apply that principle to the backlog of iPhone shipments???

Ah, the RDF applies its own frame of reference to our experience of time. We have to suffer through to the 19th (or later) like everyone else.

• Reply 69 of 168
    Quote:

It’s not going to be successful. Time at the surface of the Earth is perfectly and unequivocally defined.

I am also against DST. In fact, I wish we remained at DST all year through. I hate when the night falls at 5:30 pm. When I arrive at work it’s barely dawn and when I leave its already dusk. I feel like the day has been squandered.

• Reply 70 of 168
    Quote:

I hate when the night falls at 5:30 pm. When I arrive at work it’s barely dawn and when I leave its already dusk. I feel like the day has been squandered.

Shouldn't you be blaming latitude for this attitude?

• Reply 71 of 168
    Quote:

Shouldn't you be blaming latitude for this attitude?

Well, of course. Though admittedly I'd be incapable of living in the tropical zone where days and nights are all the same all year round and seasons hardly exist. But, since I have to put up with a 8-hour long day during Winter, I'd prefer it to stretch from 10 to 18 than 9 to 17 (tacking on half-an-hour of twilight before sunrise and after sunset).

• Reply 72 of 168
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I do know what you mean - when I was a kid we lived in upstate New York, and in summer,

it was still fairly light well after nine pm (although it was admittedly firefly-catching time for some of that.

Then we moved to SoCal where it is well-dark in summer by 8:30, and I remember feeling pretty cheated by it.

Fwiw, I did really enjoy the conversation mostly between you and Mac-sochist (I wonder if they thought we wouldn't 

figure it out without that 'dash'?) - quite educational and thought-provoking to the non-astrophysicist.

• Reply 73 of 168
    Quote:

I do know what you mean - when I was a kid we lived in upstate New York, and in summer,

it was still fairly light well after nine pm (although it was admittedly firefly-catching time for some of that).

Then we moved to SoCal where it is well-dark in summer by 8:30, and I remember feeling pretty cheated by it.

Here in Summer with DST you get some light from 5:30 am until 10, 10:30 pm (at the end of June). Two years ago, I went to Sweden, and, although it was the beginning of August (so the days would be quite shorter than at the end of June), the Sun would set at about 10:30 pm and rise at about 4:30 am. It is very weird to wake up at 5:00, take a gander at the street below which, although fully lit, is completely deserted…

Fwiw, I did really enjoy the conversation mostly between you and Mac-sochist (I wonder if they thought we wouldn't 

figure it out without that 'dash'?) - quite educational and thought-provoking to the non-astrophysicist.

Thanks! Cosmology is a fascinating subject, bordering science, philosophy and religion. However, I'd like to apologize to the moderators: I seem to have a knack for sprouting tangents…

• Reply 74 of 168
    Quote:

[...] I'd like to apologize to the moderators: I seem to have a knack for sprouting tangents…

The moderators here seem to be remarkably tolerant of interesting, informative, and/or constructive OT discussions. For that I am grateful!

• Reply 75 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The moderators here seem to be remarkably tolerant of interesting, informative, and/or constructive OT discussions. For that I am grateful!

Yeah, I concur. But that's another reason why I wouldn't want to try their patience.

• Reply 76 of 168
    eauvive wrote: »

Yeah, I concur. But that's another reason why I wouldn't want to try their patience.

The derail was probably my fault to begin with, anyway.

If it's not too late to comment on the actual subject of this thread...I was engaging in a little numerology on the question of 'Why 12"'?'. I don't know the exact diagonal of the 11.6" MBA to the micron, but I can't help noticing that it's Apple's only 16:9 laptop. If they made a 16:10 version (like all their others) the same width, there's enough slop in rounding off that anything that had to be rounded down to 11.6" in the same width and 16:10 would round up to 12".

So my prediction is that the Retina MBA will be 16:10, like the MBP, but decisively smaller at 12". The non-Retina versions will undoubtedly stick around as price leaders—or maybe the 13" Air would go away. You pay the extra money and get the new RMBA instead of jumping up as much in size.
  • Reply 77 of 168
    This is how Apple leverages the capital investments it makes in production lines. Expanding the use of that machinery to its other product lines - iPad, MacBooks, and possibly even iMacs - makes total sense from a financial point of view, plus it's something consumers will like.
  • Reply 78 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Quote:

I think it should come in colors that reflect its name:

Transparent, Cloudy, Misty, Lightning, Dusk, Smog, Industrial Tragedy, etc….

and yes, this is my way of saying…meh

Please add a space after the "e" in your user name

You can't change user names.

• Reply 79 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Quote:
    Alternatively, black, white, silver, champagne, and these*:

Introducing the Flower Power MacBook Air.

We had a Seinfeld quote earlier, which makes me think of "Morning Mist™".

ETA: I would Love a Product RED one, though. I'm a sucker for red metallic—you should see my kitchen.

Decked out in the colours of the pits of hell, eh?

• Reply 80 of 168
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis Doukas View Post

Rumor : 2017 Macbook Pro Retina will have better processor ....

You have got to be kidding!!!

He's certainly sticking his neck out, but I'm inclined to agree with him.