Rumor: Apple to launch 12-inch MacBook Air in 2015 with iPhone-inspired colors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm actually shocked at the resistance to colors in this thread. 

I haven't noticed any colours bleeding, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't say I'm surprised, though.

The colour scheme is admittedly mostly shades of grey, but if it was bright colours, it might get rather jarring on the eyes, when we're mostly reading text.

• Reply 82 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Are they going to put white bezel around the screen to completely ruin it too?

Possibly.

• Reply 83 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A space grey iPhone modded with a silver body instead of the stupid white face that normally goes along with it… man, I’d like that.

White is better for reading; so, not stupid after all.

• Reply 84 of 168
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

I don't know why they call it space grey either, space is black. Space is in fact about as black as you can get given that it's black due to a complete absence of light reflecting off anything. Moon grey would be more appropriate.

Or beige…

It depends on what we're calling 'space'. To arrive at beige, scientists studied "the colour of light emitted by 200,000 galaxies and have combined them to produce the colour":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/6487622/The-universe-is-beige.html

If I said what color is a parking space and you park a red car in it and say it's red, that's not the color of the space. A parking space is grey as it's concrete. I suppose that could be the space they meant rather than outer space:

Parking space grey.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive 

Space is not ‘black’. In fact it is filled with the 2,7 K radiation from the Big Bang. You can’t see it, but it is effulgent. Maybe that’s what they meant by ‘space gray’.

Now, why is space black? If the universe in infinite, wherever you look you should see a star, no? image

This is like the phrase 'if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound'? The light emitted from distant objects in space is so weak that human eyes can't detect it, only powerful telescopes and sensors with high sensitivity.

If we are judging color by the perception of the human eye (which is a pretty good idea when describing objects whose color is also determined by the human eye), I'd say its should be space black.

As for space being infinite, if that was the case and not filled with rocks but illuminating objects, I'd still expect a great deal of blackness because of the time it takes to form the distant objects, the density of the clusters and the strength of the illumination.

Since when was space black?

Last time I looked, there was a star or two up there.

• Reply 85 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

I can't help but think that a 12-inch would replace the "11-inch", since that is already listed as 11.6", why would Apple make a model that is just 0.4" bigger?

I don't think they would keep the 11.6", so it would probably replace it. It's unlikely that they would sell an 11.6" and a 12" at the same time.

P.S. There are twelve inches in a foot, so a 12" is six inches more than an 11.6".

• Reply 86 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Space is not ‘black’. In fact it is filled with the 2,7 K radiation from the Big Bang. You can’t see it, but it is effulgent. Maybe that’s what they meant by ‘space gray’.

+++ for the word effulgent. As for the rest of your comment I will cut you some slack, in general though if you can't see anything due to the lack of light it is considered to be black.

Quote:

Now, why is space black? If the universe in infinite, wherever you look you should see a star, no? image

Yes but those stars are to far away to have a significant impact on what you can see.

Hardly. If you're in a good spot, the sky at night is a sea of white.

• Reply 87 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

See the article

I'm dreaming of a pocket Macintosh

http://www.macworld.com/article/2449500/im-dreaming-of-a-pocket-macintosh.html

The key is portability, and now it is possible with the new Intel chips. Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac, as small as possible and whih whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). The true compatible device with the desktop Mac (sorry, iOS is not!). Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

It's called an iPhone and an iPad.

• Reply 88 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Also, there is no such thing as a fish.

Sounds fishy to me.

• Reply 89 of 168
    Quote:

Quote:

I’m going to use this argument the next time someone whines to me about how the whole world should be on UTC or tries to tell me that I should stop petitioning to get my state off DST.

It’s not going to be successful. Time at the surface of the Earth is perfectly and unequivocally defined.

I am also against DST. In fact, I wish we remained at DST all year through. I hate when the night falls at 5:30 pm. When I arrive at work it’s barely dawn and when I leave its already dusk. I feel like the day has been squandered.

Change your working hours. Problem solved.

• Reply 90 of 168
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Shouldn't you be blaming latitude for this attitude?

Well, of course. Though admittedly I'd be incapable of living in the tropical zone where days and nights are all the same all year round and seasons hardly exist. But, since I have to put up with a 8-hour long day during Winter, I'd prefer it to stretch from 10 to 18 than 9 to 17 (tacking on half-an-hour of twilight before sunrise and after sunset).

Why so nightist?

• Reply 91 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:

[...] I'd like to apologize to the moderators: I seem to have a knack for sprouting tangents…

The moderators here seem to be remarkably tolerant of interesting, informative, and/or constructive OT discussions. For that I am grateful!

They are indeed.

• Reply 92 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The moderators here seem to be remarkably tolerant of interesting, informative, and/or constructive OT discussions. For that I am grateful!

Yeah, I concur. But that's another reason why I wouldn't want to try their patience.

The derail was probably my fault to begin with, anyway.

If it's not too late to comment on the actual subject of this thread...I was engaging in a little numerology on the question of 'Why 12"'?'. I don't know the exact diagonal of the 11.6" MBA to the micron, but I can't help noticing that it's Apple's only 16:9 laptop. If they made a 16:10 version (like all their others) the same width, there's enough slop in rounding off that anything that had to be rounded down to 11.6" in the same width and 16:10 would round up to 12".

So my prediction is that the Retina MBA will be 16:10, like the MBP, but decisively smaller at 12". The non-Retina versions will undoubtedly stick around as price leaders—or maybe the 13" Air would go away. You pay the extra money and get the new RMBA instead of jumping up as much in size.

We were talking about space. Please stay on topic.

• Reply 93 of 168
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Since when?

Black is better for color reproduction.

• Reply 94 of 168
    Quote:

Since when?

Black is better for color reproduction.

I mean that the white bezel complements the white background of a page, like a book; whereas a black one doesn't, though it is possibly better for watching video.

• Reply 95 of 168
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

P.S. There are twelve inches in a foot, so a 12" is six inches more than an 11.6".

Ha!

Next you'll be trying to convince us that a billion is a million millions...:err:

• Reply 96 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:

Ha!

Next you'll be trying to convince us that a billion is a million millions...:err:

Strictly speaking, it is. The American usage has taken over, though.

• Reply 97 of 168
    Quote:

Change your working hours. Problem solved.

I wouldn't mind. But my boss balks, and the teachers of my children too…

The world is infected by conservative minds… There are Tories everywhere.

• Reply 98 of 168
    Quote:

Strictly speaking, it is. The American usage has taken over, though.

Fortunately in France, we still stick to million/milliard/billion… and billiard! Don't cock a snook at me… 

Likewise, we still use , as a decimal separator. 12,33 and not 12.33.

Rank has its privileges… 

• Reply 99 of 168
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Since when was space black?

Last time I looked, there was a star or two up there.

Q: Where are the stars?
    A: In space.

Astronaut: I'm going up into space.
    Benjamin Frost: Don't go, you'll hit a star.
    Astronaut: No I won't, the stars are also in space and spaced out.

Stars ? space.

Here's the science:

Whether people think space is not black is irrelevant, nobody has said it's grey, which is really the fundamental problem. It would be like if I named a color 'grass purple'. Grass isn't purple. Space isn't grey.

I like it when apathy is an achievement. ;) When topics don't have enough momentum of their own, it doesn't matter much.

I actually wonder if they'd come out with a black model (space black). I did a mockup of that a while ago (the white on the keyboard is the backlit keys):

It would show up scratches badly like the iPhone did but it might not get scratched as much as a mobile phone. They had a black Macbook, which was quite popular.
  • Reply 100 of 168

Here's the science:

Space may be black, but the Universe is latte.

I actually wonder if they'd come out with a black model (space black). I did a mockup of that a while ago (the white on the keyboard is the backlit keys):

Remember the first time that black aluminum was rumored? The computers were supposed to be “two tone”, with parts black and parts silver. We know now, of course, that this only resulted from the screen frame being black. Good thing, too.