Rumor: Apple to launch 12-inch MacBook Air in 2015 with iPhone-inspired colors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The iPad mini is 8"

Semantics? Really? That's the best you can come up with? I expect better from a clever lad like you! Keep working on it and get back to me when you come up with something that will fill my sinuses with coffee again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

and the 5.5" iPhone is laughable.

Tell Tim Cook that. I believe his definition of "laughable" will mean "Laughing 'til I pee myself over how much money we're making!" You may prefer another size, but calling it laughable not only flies in the face of the evidence, but is insulting to those who like it. I don't understand why people who would never even imagine insulting another person for something like their favourite colour think nothing of belittling others for their technology preferences. It seems incongruous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

NFC isn't so much laughable as unused.

Careful, that kind of parochial world view leads some people to generalize about nationalities. You must have noticed just from what's been posted on this forum that the USA seems to be the only country in the developed world that hasn't yet seen widespread deployment of NFC payment systems. It is NOT unused, you guys are just behind on this one.

• Reply 122 of 168
    sockrolid wrote: »
    The A7 cost Apple $17 back in 2013 when the iPhone 5S was released.  
    Must be even cheaper now.

Assuming that cost is accurate, The A7 being cheaper now would have no direct barring on whatever A-series chip Apple would use in Mac-like PC because it's surely not going to use the A7.

But regardless whatever they are cooking now are likely considerably cheaper than what Intel can offer at a given performance envelope.
  • Reply 123 of 168
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Semantics? Really?

No, but if you cared about the argument you’d know that.

Laughing 'til I pee myself over how much money we're making!

Maybe you haven’t noticed, but Apple ? Samsung. They don’t care about money. If that’s your only argument, you don’t have one.

It is NOT unused, you guys are just behind on this one. 

And where’s most of the money made?

• Reply 124 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but if you cared about the argument you’d know that.

Oh, COME ON!!! Are you HONESTLY going to sit there and tell me that Steve poo-pooed 7" tablets but would have heartily endorsed a 7.9"? SERIOUSLY?! Please, drop the Debate Club rhetoric -- it would be nice to have a conversation once in a while instead of everything having to be a win/lose argument.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe you haven’t noticed, but Apple ? Samsung. They don’t care about money. If that’s your only argument, you don’t have one.

You're right. I have no answer for that. As in, I'm speechless. You just said that Apple doesn't care about money.

If you say that Apple counts quality, user experience and brand perception high on their list of priorities, perhaps more than any other player in the industry, I agree completely. If you're saying anyone at Apple -- ANYONE -- does those ANY of those things for ANY reason other than making money, I'm going to suggest you need a serious reality check.

Quote:

And where’s most of the money made?

??? What does that have to do with what I wrote? That has the appearance of you getting your back up over a perceived slight against your country and making a defensive argument. If that's what it is, relax, you can put down the flag.

No one is criticizing you or the USA. All I said is you guys, as in those of you participating in this forum who live in the United States, can stop the hand-wringing over your perception of a dearth of NFC payment systems because it is alive and well throughout the rest of the world, even though you may not have seen much of it in your own backyard. Yet. Obviously Apple is MUCH more confident about the ability of your country to embrace it than you are.

• Reply 125 of 168

Oh, COME ON!!! Are you HONESTLY going to sit there and tell me that Steve poo-pooed 7" tablets but would have heartily endorsed a 7.9"?

No, I said nothing whatsoever about Steve. We don’t have anything that would say he was supportive of a smaller tablet. No, the un-CC’d e-mai

it would be nice to have a conversation once in a while instead of everything having to be a win/lose argument.

It’d be nice if people stopped saying wrong things, too. Why would anyone want to hold a “conversation” if one side is constantly wrong?

You just said that Apple doesnt care about money. If you're saying anyone at Apple -- ANYONE -- does those ANY of those things for ANY reason other than making money, I'm going to suggest you need a serious reality check.

You’ll learn eventually.

That has the appearance of you getting your back up over a perceived slight against your country and making a defensive argument. If that's what it is, relax, you can put down the flag.

Or we could look for information regarding transaction volume per country. The US has been able to go without more modern systems because they haven’t mattered.

• Reply 126 of 168
    Quote:

No, I said nothing whatsoever about Steve.

Okay, sorry for jumping to conclusions, but you make it really hard to figure out what you mean. You just say "nope" with nothing about why you disagree or what you think is the "yup."

So, if not Steve's comment, what DID you mean when you said that Marvin's response was not just arguing semantics?

Quote:

It’d be nice if people stopped saying wrong things, too. Why would anyone want to hold a “conversation” if one side is constantly wrong?

Okay, my mind is open. What am I wrong about? I'm prepared to be corrected.

Quote:

You’ll learn eventually.

That the primary, fundamental reason for Apple to exist isn't to make money? Uh uh. Lay off the Kool-aid, kid. Your escalation of Apple to the role of altruistic benefactor is at best naive and at worst religious. On this point there is no ambivalence, no room for dispute.

Quote:

Or we could look for information regarding transaction volume per country. The US has been able to go without more modern systems because they haven’t mattered.

That's an interesting argument. I guess then there's no need for greater fuel efficiency, faster computers (whether hand-held or traditional), improved manufacturing methods or better corporate structures. I mean, as long as you're never exposed to the advantages of something better, it will never "matter."

I actually don't even know if that argument makes any sense, because for the life of me I can't figure out what you mean by "haven't mattered." The interpretations I've managed to come up with include:

- If the current system is meeting demand there's no reason to improve it.

- Activities occurring outside the USA are of no consequence, because more money is spent in the USA than other countries.

- I'm feeling defensive because I'm jingoistic so I'm just reflexively talking down anything in which the USA is not the leader.

Ae any of those right? If not, what DID you mean?

Enjoy your PIN pad. The rest of us have moved on to faster, more convenient, and more secure methods.

• Reply 127 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Profits don't matter except when profits matter.

• Reply 128 of 168

So, if not Steve's comment, what DID you mean when you said that Marvin's response was not just arguing semantics?

Because 7” isn’t 8”, which is obvious to anyone.

That the primary, fundamental reason for Apple to exist isn't to make money? Uh uh. Lay off the Kool-aid, kid. Your escalation of Apple to the role of altruistic benefactor is at best naive and at worst religious. On this point there is no ambivalence, no room for dispute.

Keep trying.

That's an interesting argument.

Which you either refuse to comprehend or simply cannot.

for the life of me I cant figure out what you mean by "haven't mattered."

Yeah, number 1 there tends to be how the US operates.

• Reply 129 of 168
    crowley wrote: »
    Profits don't matter except when profits matter.

Wrong. Profits always matter.
  • Reply 130 of 168
    Quote:

Sure, but also completely irrelevant to the POINT, which was that the idea of an iPad Mini was considered laughable. The fact that one would argue that my use of the phrase "7 inch tablet" is anything other than a misnomer is focussing on a mis-placed leaf in the context of a discussion about deforestation. Technically correct, but not at all germane.

You seem smart. Do I really have to explain stuff like this? What's the payoff for you? How do you benefit from ignoring the topic to focus on the trivial?

Quote:

Yeah, number 1 there tends to be how the US operates.

Well, that explains American cars, then.

You were right that I didn't comprehend your point. I now understand what you said, I just don't understand your thinking. It doesn't matter, though. You're entitled to believe that there's no benefit to progress.

• Reply 131 of 168

Sure, but also completely irrelevant to the POINT, which was that the idea of an iPad Mini was considered laughable. The fact that one would argue that my use of the phrase "7 inch tablet" is anything other than a misnomer is focussing on a mis-placed leaf in the context of a discussion about deforestation. Technically correct, but not at all germane.

You seem smart. Do I really have to explain stuff like this? What's the payoff for you? How do you benefit from ignoring the topic to focus on the trivial?
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Yeah, number 1 there tends to be how the US operates.</span>

I think the point is that the technology advanced sufficiently in the years after the original iPad came out that made the mini possible. In no way does it invalidate his earlier dismissal of 7" tablets. And he is still right, in that you need a 9.7" in order to take advantage of it as he envisaged.

Finally, the difference between 7" and 8" sounds trivial, but isn't. I think the 8" has something like around 40% more area.
  • Reply 132 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think the point is that the technology advanced sufficiently in the years after the original iPad came out that made the mini possible. In no way does it invalidate his earlier dismissal of 7" tablets. And he is still right, in that you need a 9.7" in order to take advantage of it as he envisaged.

Finally, the difference between 7" and 8" sounds trivial, but isn't. I think the 8" has something like around 40% more area.

Understood.

Now, let's go back to how it came up.

Will Apple ever make a laptop with a touch screen? To those who are prepared to say no, remember that other, now-existing products were considered laughable not that long ago.

Now, in that context, how significant to the point of the discussion does the actual size of the iPad Mini seem?

• Reply 133 of 168

Understood.

Now, let's go back to how it came up.

Will Apple ever make a laptop with a touch screen? To those who are prepared to say no, remember that other, now-existing products were considered laughable not that long ago.

Now, in that context, how significant to the point of the discussion does the actual size of the iPad Mini seem?

It's pointless to speculate.

If Apple bring out a laptop with a touchscreen, then it will be because they have deemed it a good thing. We, the consumer, will decide then if they were right. At the moment, Apple have decided that humans aren't gorillas, and I'm inclined to agree.

In the meantime, calmly keep using your non-touchscreen laptop and don't fuss.
  • Reply 134 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Wrong. Profits always matter.

Point --------------------------------------------->

Your head.

• Reply 135 of 168

the idea of an iPad Mini was considered laughable.

The idea of a tablet too small to be used as such is laughable. 7” tablets were of that size.

How do you benefit from ignoring the topic to focus on the trivial?

So you’d say that the move from 4 to 4.7 inches is trivial, as that’s an even smaller difference than the one Apple made between their usable* tablet and the ones deemed unusable?

*I disagree, but that’s not the point right now.

And our ISPs and telecoms. And our roads and bridges.

• Reply 136 of 168
    Quote:

The idea of a tablet too small to be used as such is laughable. 7” tablets were of that size.

I know, I know, I get all that. Forget I ever mentioned a size. The POINT was that people said Apple would never make an iPad Mini. Then Apple DID make an iPad Mini. THAT was the point. I'm sorry if my use of a number confused everyone.

Quote:

And our ISPs and telecoms. And our roads and bridges.

I take back what I said in Edit 2, above [EDIT: I just removed it. I *literally* "took it back!"]. I thought you were *supporting* that mindset. I see now that you were observing, not condoning.

Damn, there's a lotta misunderstanding going on here, and all of it seems to involve me in one way or another! :)

• Reply 137 of 168
    Quote:

If Apple bring out a laptop with a touchscreen, then it will be because they have deemed it a good thing. We, the consumer, will decide then if they were right. At the moment, Apple have decided that humans aren't gorillas, and I'm inclined to agree.

Now I may be wrong, but I clearly remember Steve Jobs talking about touchscreen for laptops and saying it just was not possible, because you ended up with a sour ankle and arm at the end of the day. 

• Reply 138 of 168
    eauvive wrote: »

Now I may be wrong, but I clearly remember Steve Jobs talking about touchscreen for laptops and saying it just was not possible, because you ended up with a sour ankle and arm at the end of the day. 

Oh? I don't recall him saying that. Wouldn't it be a bit cumbersome to use your toes on a touchscreen?
  • Reply 139 of 168
    Quote:

Oh? I don't recall him saying that. Wouldn't it be a bit cumbersome to use your toes on a touchscreen?

I'll ask my favorite ape about that. Yeah, that was wrist, not ankle. Go figure what I was thinking about…

• Reply 140 of 168
    eauvive wrote: »

I'll ask my favorite ape about that. Yeah, that was wrist, not ankle. Go figure what I was thinking about…

Indeed. I was paraphrasing Jobs. As you said, Jobs stated that constantly lifting your arm to a touchscreen on a laptop would give you gorilla arm. Ie, it's not ergonomic.