PayPal questions Apple Pay security in new ad, uses iCloud celebrity photo debacle as ammunition

123457

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 143
    PayPal safer? eBay's "PreyPal" is an unlicensed "pretend" bank with no prudential regulation and no deposit insurance. "PreyPal" safer? They are joking, of course ...

    Retail Payments (and PayPal)%u2014The Reality ... http://bit.ly/1nSA1Zl
  • Reply 122 of 143
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,313member
    I'll take Apple's security over paypals customer service any day!

    hahaha - very rich coming from those bozos. Scared much?
  • Reply 123 of 143
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,313member
    slurpy wrote: »
    you know what's more difficult than "doing payments"? Reinventing the personal computer, the desktop GUI, modern mp3 players, digital downloads, smartphones, tablets, laptops, mobile appstore, the first reliable mobile biometric solution, as well as a million other hardware and software innovations.

    The other one that smacked me as I watched videos of the watches and the bands - being able to add/remove links in a watch band with just your fingernail.

    Seriously?!? Why is APPLE the one that has to introduce them?

    I love the derisive comments pointing out Apple doesn't have a tradition or past knowledge in watch making. Seems to be a huge pro and not the con they intended from where I'm sitting :p
  • Reply 124 of 143
    Paypal is old news.


     


    Like Palm, they are exclaiming how 'hard' it is to do what they do 'right,' when in fact, Apple brings a paradigm shift they couldn't comprehend.   Much like combustion engines to buggy whip makers.


    You say the same statement from Mid range Watch designers about the AppleWatch.


    You're seeing PayPal say it now.


     


    To me... it's all about how Amazon reacts now.   They are the player most vested in controlling competition for retailer services on the Internet.  Paypal was just a intermediate means to an end.  


     


    The real play is that Apple can exploit 'in-app' purchases to a new level.  Not at first, but slowly.   Eventually, There will be 2 payment systems for a while... plastic for those who can't buy into the apple infrastructure, and ApplePay.


     


    And for the anonymity of cash.   Well the 'assume the worst' will eventually play into it... it's either counterfeit, or part of an underground economy that someone will be wanting to track (wait until banks are required to track $50/$100USD bill numbers in/out by account, because DHS says so.
  • Reply 125 of 143

    PayPal, we love you!

    Not anymore.

    We got new friends!

     ? Pay

  • Reply 126 of 143

    Paypal needs to get there facts straight. iCloud was never breached or hacked. Those famous stars got phished into giving away there information and there account passwords were guessed so the ones phishing logged right in with there information. The iCloud was never hacked or compromised in any way. Tim Cook's interview with Charlie Rose part one Tim Cook himself explains this quite clearly. Apple is very secure and Tim expresses they will improve on it further even though iCloud was not breached or hacked at all. 

    Paypal is scared! And they should be because all the banks are running to get Apple's pay system working with there cards ASAP.

  • Reply 127 of 143
    When I used PayPal once, to make a charity payment, I was flooded for weeks with hundreds of spam e-mails a day from eBay customers claiming I had not sent goods paid for. I reported it to eBay UK, who seemed quite concerned, but it only stopped some weeks later after I closed my PayPal account. I don't do eBay. When I had to use PayPal again a while later the same thing happened. Clearly their servers leak like a sieve.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    PayPal is the company that will take away all your money from your account for no stated reason and offers no recourse to people they do this to. Most recently, they removed access to the account of the author of Fukushima Diary who was living off the funds at the time. No reason was given:
    http://fukushima-diary.com/
  • Reply 129 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post



    What a trashy, intellectually dishonest, deceptive, and classless ad, using fear-mongering tactics and preying on the ignorant. Well done.



    PayPal, instead of spending time on ads like these, maybe you can update the interface on the canadian website, which looks straight from 1995 and hasn't seen a single visual uplift for a decade or so? Also, I'll never forgive paypal for freezing my account for a year, causing me a shitload of hassles, and to this day not giving me an explanation as to why.



    Go **** yourself you dinosaur of a company. You're becoming less and less relevant every day that passes.

     

    They remind me of Bupa, one of the main private health insurance companies in England. Several years ago, they put out a series of ads that preyed on people's fears. Complete trash.

  • Reply 130 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

     

    Guess how iCloud user accounts were breached?  User passwords from non-trusted devices.  Guess what PayPal relies on for security?  User passwords from non-trusted devices.  Guess what Apple Pay will rely on for security?  Encrypted fingerprint scans from trusted devices.

     

    Nice try PayPal.


    Interesting ad since apparently researchers have recently discovered a hole in PayPal's two-step authentication protocol ... you know, the problem that is supposedly the reason for the Apple breach?

     

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/26/a-rare-security-breach-at-paypal/

     

    Apple has come out with a well publicized fix for their issue ... what has PayPal done?

  • Reply 131 of 143
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

    We'll see how secure is Apple Pay.  I'll pass until it's beta tested for at least a year.

  • Reply 132 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

     

    We'll see how secure is Apple Pay.  I'll pass until it's beta tested for at least a year.


     

    I'm not terribly worried. The incredibly high profile of this system means banks and Apple will fall all over themselves to make sure anyone with a negative experience is indemnified. They can't afford bad press on this.

  • Reply 133 of 143
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    What's the percent breakdown? How many of these celebrity photos were stolen from iCloud vs. Android vs. Picasa vs. Dropbox vs. Microsoft vs. Flickr vs. others? All I've seen is people falsely pretending it was Apple-specific.



    And we know the Find my iPhone rate-limiting flaw (recently patched) was NOT involved.



    We also know the photo thefts were not one single "leak" event at all, but years of work by a criminal network. (The "leak" was someone letting the already-stolen photos OUT of the secret network.)



    And we know the Apple's TouchID based security for PayPal, with one-time tokens, is entirely unrelated to someone guessing your iCloud password or security answers because you're a celebrity worth targetting.



    When you rely on lies and ignorance to prop up a terrible service, you know you're in trouble!

    And one more negative campaign, I'm done with Pay Pal.

  • Reply 134 of 143
    This is hilarious! I love the desperate spin - looks like PayPal is on the way out, fearing Apple's imminent encroachment on their business. No amount of protection will save your info from hackers if your password is common, as these celebrity passwords were. It's the user, stupid... :)
  • Reply 135 of 143
    h2ph2p Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    How were they in the mix? They took the selfie, and it's visible. Do you think that those pics can't be stored in iCloud if taken by another device?

    Seems to me that the celebrity would have to purposely upload images to iCloud that were taken on other devices, yes? Perhaps they would upload the images into their iPhoto stream (assuming they were on a Mac). This seems to be the most likely ways that someone would have images taken on an Android, Blackberry, etc. show up in iCloud. Is that what you think happened?? I doubt it. Maybe that's what you are saying.

  • Reply 136 of 143
    h2p wrote: »
    Seems to me that the celebrity would have to purposely upload images to iCloud that were taken on other devices, yes? Perhaps they would upload the images into their iPhoto stream (assuming they were on a Mac). This seems to be the most likely ways that someone would have images taken on an Android, Blackberry, etc. show up in iCloud. Is that what you think happened?? I doubt it. Maybe that's what you are saying.

    All I'm saying is that it's possible for a selfie taken with another device to be saved on a iCloud account. We still don't know for sure how the celebrities got hacked. I am think that the little we know so far is the tip of an iceberg.
  • Reply 137 of 143
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    h2p wrote: »
    Seems to me that the celebrity would have to purposely upload images to iCloud that were taken on other devices, yes? Perhaps they would upload the images into their iPhoto stream (assuming they were on a Mac). This seems to be the most likely ways that someone would have images taken on an Android, Blackberry, etc. show up in iCloud. Is that what you think happened?? I doubt it. Maybe that's what you are saying.

    All I'm saying is that it's possible for a selfie taken with another device to be saved on a iCloud account. We still don't know for sure how the celebrities got hacked. I am think that the little we know so far is the tip of an iceberg.

    The little we know is the tip of a nipple.
  • Reply 138 of 143
    Retail Payments (and Apple)%u2014The Reality ... http://bit.ly/1nSA1Zl
  • Reply 139 of 143

    Per my post #117, the media fun is starting:

     

    http://fortune.com/2014/09/16/apple-pay-strikes-panic-at-paypal/

  • Reply 140 of 143
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that it's possible for a selfie taken with another device to be saved on a iCloud account. We still don't know for sure how the celebrities got hacked. I am think that the little we know so far is the tip of an iceberg.


    7. a) edit To reiterate what the main bugs are that are being exploited here, roughly in order of popularity / effectiveness:

    Password reset (secret questions / answers)
    Phishing email
    Password recovery (email account hacked)
    Social engineering / RAT install / authentication keys
Sign In or Register to comment.