Apple details content migration from Android to iOS in new support document

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
With Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus seeing wide release later this week, the company on Tuesday published a reference guide aimed at helping Android device owners migrate content to the new handsets.

Posted to Apple's Support Documents sub-site, the new page, titled "Move content from your Android phone to iPhone," takes current users of Google's mobile operating system through the steps necessary to move content like Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Photos and Documents over to iOS 8.
Ready to make the switch to iPhone? Here are some tips for moving your photos, music, documents, and more from your Android phone to iPhone.
Apple tells Android users that Mail, Contacts and Calendar data can be transferred over to a new iPhone by simply adding a new email account to the Mail app or importing content from a social media network. Alternatively, third-party apps like Copy My Data or AT&T Mobile Transfer move over data automatically instead of manually typing in contacts, calendar events and addresses.

Third-party apps are also mentioned as a quick transport system for user photos, though Apple offers a more comprehensive walkthrough for importing images as data files using the Android File Transfer tool and iTunes. The same method is suggested for transporting music, books and PDF documents.

As for apps, Apple says, "You'll probably find the apps you're already using on the App Store. Go to the App Store, search for the apps you have now, and install them. Then sign in with your user name and password."

Along with the usual iPhone user base, Apple's new handset models are expected to capture a portion of Android owners attracted to the larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes. Seemingly supporting the theory is a report from last week that noted trade-in requests for Samsung smartphones surged after the iPhone 6 announcement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    It's the "switchers" campaign all over again! Love it.
  • Reply 2 of 94

I would love to see a breakdown of Android switchers to the iPhone 6/6+.  

I'd also love to see my order status updated to "shipped." ;-)

• Reply 3 of 94
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Fucking awesome. Well played, Apple. This should help a few people.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    Really no reason for anyone on android to stay on android now.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    therealtom wrote: »
    They give there 50 reasons still, just it's more BS.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    That's cool. Apple clearly knew what they were doing when they caved to the (Asian market-led) fetish for big screen phones.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Gmail is still fairly pathetic when it comes to transferring contacts, I guess it has something to do with them dumping activsync.

Random contacts just don't show up.

• Reply 8 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

They give there 50 reasons still, just it's more BS.

Then there's all the crap saying the new iPhones are comparable to 2012 Android phones, which conveniently leaves out 64 bit.

• Reply 9 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

There was never a reason to stay android period or go there in the first place

• Reply 10 of 94
    This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to get ios licenses for apps I bought on an android? I guess it's not a big deal to pay a few dollars here and there again...but still...
  • Reply 11 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Then there's all the crap saying the new iPhones are comparable to 2012 Android phones, which conveniently leaves out 64 bit.

and they missed

1) a working fingerprint sensor

2) better screen

3) better camera

4) simpler to use

5) better quality (thus longer life)

6) better battery usage

etc etc etc

• Reply 12 of 94

I will tell you this will not work as one would hope, if you want to transfer all your stuff from an Android to an Iphone expect problems. I have to use an Android for work and ever time i move to a new phone it is nightmare. Google claims to back all the information on the phone to their cloud, in principle true in reality not true, depending on phone like a motorola, they block you from syncing some of the information, specifically save states of games, of preference file of apps, you can not back up SMS. You have to root the phone it be able to use third part apps to back the phone up and get things off the phone. Depending on which contact app you use they too are not easily retrieved.

As we all know you can swap you iOS device in a mater of 20 minutes back up your original to either your mac or icloud account, turn on the new phone hook it to you computer and 20 minutes later it is exactly like your old phone. There is nothing similar in the Andriod work without a lot of playing around, It usually take me a week or so to get a new phone back to the state of the old phone, I work with a guy who keep screen shots of his phone setting and have a bunch of things written down in notebook so he can set up a new phone. I feel bad for the hard cord android user they have no idea and they think it fun to configure a phone as they like every single time.

• Reply 13 of 94

I won't be expecting "Switch to Mac" kind of ads thing will come for iPhone/iOS.

Because, those were the times when PCs were leading. 

But iOS is leading now.  

Again, it is like counter-acting the SamDung ad campaign. I don't think now people will welcome it. 

Personally, would love to see Apple hunting Samsung in their ads, as a ardent lover of "I am Mac" ads. 

• Reply 14 of 94
    What happens with Apps? Do android users have to repurchase all their previously bought Android apps? (Not that android users are used to forking out for them anyway).

I'm looking forward to iCloud Drive which is going to finally offer some sort file system, although Dropbox already does that for me already.

Oh.. Isn't iOS8 coming out tomorrow?
  • Reply 15 of 94
    Hey Samsung! Do you like apples?

"…trade-in requests for Samsung smartphones surged after the iPhone 6 announcement."

How do you like them Apples?
  • Reply 16 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

while you may think it's important, it's not something I would get into a pissing match over when describing the benefits of an iPhone.

Faster, yes.  64bit registers and addressing... not something I would buy a phone over.

The whole 'spec' thing is specious to begin with.   a crappy larger display isn't a big win, nor is image stabilized movies.   Apple is all about the 'system is greater than the sum of it's parts', whereas Samsung in particular, and android in general is, 'we got your parts... we got parts better than any other parts, and your particular need in parts, our's is the bestest!'

• Reply 17 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I will tell you this will not work as one would hope, if you want to transfer all your stuff from an Android to an Iphone expect problems. I have to use an Android for work and ever time i move to a new phone it is nightmare. Google claims to back all the information on the phone to their cloud, in principle true in reality not true, depending on phone like a motorola, they block you from syncing some of the information, specifically save states of games, of preference file of apps, you can not back up SMS. You have to root the phone it be able to use third part apps to back the phone up and get things off the phone. Depending on which contact app you use they too are not easily retrieved.

As we all know you can swap you iOS device in a mater of 20 minutes back up your original to either your mac or icloud account, turn on the new phone hook it to you computer and 20 minutes later it is exactly like your old phone. There is nothing similar in the Andriod work without a lot of playing around, It usually take me a week or so to get a new phone back to the state of the old phone, I work with a guy who keep screen shots of his phone setting and have a bunch of things written down in notebook so he can set up a new phone. I feel bad for the hard cord android user they have no idea and they think it fun to configure a phone as they like every single time.

.... and I would argue that it's better to start new anyway.   most of your cruft is cruft.  I'd just forward calendar invites to my @me.com address, mail contact information for the critical few (mom, boss, wife), and then build a new life on my iOS phone.

And if I were a mac user, I'd get a gmail to apple sync app, do it once for cal's, email, contact, and not try to do it phone to phone, erase the gmail account, and walk away.

• Reply 18 of 94
    paul94544 wrote: »
    There was never a reason to stay android period or go there in the first place

The bigger screen attracted a certain market, as well as those who were sold into buying an android device in a phone shop, not really knowing what they were buying. Then, those who don't want to leave because they don't want to lose their stuff that's saved on android.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    [quote name="simtub" url="/t/182319/apple-details-content-migration-from-android-to-ios-in-new-support-document#post_2599948"]What happens with Apps? Do android users have to repurchase all their previously bought Android apps? (Not that android users are used to forking out for them anyway).

I'm looking forward to iCloud Drive which is going to finally offer some sort file system, although Dropbox already does that for me already.

Oh.. Isn't iOS8 coming out tomorrow?

There is no common identity system for identifying apps purchased on different apps stores. That is, there is no common account between iTunes and Google Play, so no.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I won't be expecting "Switch to Mac" kind of ads thing will come for iPhone/iOS.

Because, those were the times when PCs were leading. 

But iOS is leading now.  

Again, it is like counter-acting the SamDung ad campaign. I don't think now people will welcome it. 

Personally, would love to see Apple hunting Samsung in their ads, as a ardent lover of "I am Mac" ads. 

Why give Samsung free publicity.

A nobleman who responds to a fool, elevates the fool to his status while simultaneously looking like the fool.

Apple's best response is to simply ignore the ignorant, and respond to them in court.