iPhone 6 launch day scenes from Apple Stores around the world

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    A must watch video.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 102 of 126
    thompr wrote: »
    Apple doesn't have that quick of access to sales tallies of each individual model at their 3rd party retailers, especially overseas ones, so your last assertion is false. Assuming a sell-out across all venues, the two would be identical, and that's what typically happens for new Apple iPhone models. But not even close for 5C last year. I actively went to numerous websites (ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy, etc) and all had ample stock of all colors of iPhone 5C last year for immediate delivery. Meanwhile, they didn't catch up with 5S demand until well into November. So Apple underestimated 5S demand and overestimated 5C demand. Apple even admitted that in January. No big deal, and they shifted their build plans accordingly. And Wall Street wrung their hands and fretted. History now.

All this means is that 9 million figure from last year is apples and oranges with all other figures and creates a tough compare for this year. Apples to apples, we should be compared to a number somewhat south of 9 million. Expect Wall Street to get it wrong again.

Thompson

How so you know what Apple does or doesn't have in regards to third part sales.
  • Reply 103 of 126

Just saw this little tidbit from another site:

"Apple’s new iPhone 6, released just over 13 hours ago in the U.S., has already hit 2.86% of all iPhone activity worldwide, as measured by Mixpanel which tracks the actions users take in an application – 26 billion of them per month. iPhone 6 Plus, which is facing severe supply constraints, stands at 0.52%.

These figures are remarkable. It took 10 days after launch for iPhone 5s to hit 2.67% and iPhone 5c to hit 1.03% of all iPhone activity worldwide.

Also, a mere three days after release, iOS 8 adoption stands at 24.82%. Over the same three-day time period, iOS 7 has dropped from 95.86% down to 71.27%. Older iOS versions (original iPads and olderiPhones) are just 3.91%."

http://macdailynews.com/2014/09/19/just-hours-after-release-iphone-6plus-adoption-already-exceeds-3/

• Reply 104 of 126
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A must watch video

Chinatown is literally just a few blocks away from the SoHo store.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Since most Android users only get free apps and pirated movies and music, switching ecosystem is not difficult for them because they didnt invest a lot it.  Its a lot easier to move from google or amazon to Apple because they can still access there purchased on iOS (but not there apps)

On the other hand, itunes purchased are not available on Android or Amazon, so moving from iOS to those OS is more difficult.

That is an absolute ridiculous comment. We get it you dislike Android but there are just as many iOS pirates as there are Android. Not true, well there is no evidence to prove either comment. More and more people are using streaming services now anyway, heck my last music purchase was over 2 years ago. I exclusively use Spotify and NetFlix as there client apps are crossed platform. If I buy music or visual media it will be a CD or BlueRay disc, I then rip it and store the media in the cloud. I then box up the physical media to store it for safe keeping. I would never buy media that could only be used on one manufactures platform as I use and enjoy multiple systems. Changing from one system to other is a very simple task for me but I don't need too as I already use iOS, Android, Windows Mobile and now OS 10.4 from BlackBerry.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    relic wrote: »
    herbapou wrote: »
    Since most Android users only get free apps and pirated movies and music, switching ecosystem is not difficult for them because they didnt invest a lot it.  Its a lot easier to move from google or amazon to Apple because they can still access there purchased on iOS (but not there apps)

On the other hand, itunes purchased are not available on Android or Amazon, so moving from iOS to those OS is more difficult.

That is an absolute ridiculous comment. We get it you dislike Android but there are just as many iOS pirates as there are Android. Not true, well there is no evidence to prove either comment.

The excuse is always that there's no evidence to say definitively. There are indicators from developers:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/27547/android-piracy-outnumbers-ios-piracy-by-141-driving-devs-to-freemium-only-model/

"Developers >Butterscotch Shenanigans recently released a game called Towelfight 2 on both iOS and Android. On both platforms, the game cost $0.99. On iOS, about 5% of all users pirated it, numbering about 2,438 copies. On Android though? 34,091 copies were stolen."

"With our recently launched Vex Blocks, piracy rate on Android is running about 95% for the full version for the past 2 months it's been available. We saw our game show up on download sites within hours of launch. By contrast, we launched on iOS exactly one week ago and so far almost exactly the same number of people paying for the game, however piracy seems contained at under 5%. It'll be interesting to see how it looks a month or 2 from now. Most developers say they see about 2.5 to 3 times more revenue on iOS. That hasn't been our experience thus far. It would be nice if even a quarter of those Android pirates were willing to spend a buck to help support the games they play."

http://www.zdnet.com/madfinger-game-goes-free-on-ios-piracy-to-blame-like-on-android-7000002050/

The statement about piracy being linked with jailbreaking is brought up here:

"There are several myths about pirates. One often repeated is that, while they might have a jailbroken device, they still buy games anyway. Then I do not understand how the number of pirates on iOS is comparable with the amount of jailbroken devices. Of course, I know that some jailbreak users are paying for games as well, but could it be around 1% at the most?"

"Piracy is a serious problem for both platforms, but the general consensus is that the issue is much more serious on Google's Android than it is on Apple's iOS (see also iOS app developer: Android is designed for piracy)."

http://www.zdnet.com/ios-app-developer-android-is-designed-for-piracy-7000001582/

"he's an iOS app developer, so his conclusion under the last heading "Lock it down" should not be surprising: "Closed is better for business." The problem is that he's right."

This is evident in PC gaming where the piracy rate is higher than consoles to the point that developers sometimes don't even release PC versions but if they do, it's long after the console version. GTA V will be on the high-end consoles in November but despite running on x86, they pushed the PC version back to the end of January 2015.

The problem with Android proponents is that there's a refusal to accept that bad things come with the good. A system can't be completely open and completely devoid of piracy and malware. It can't be cheaper without having a way to make up for the difference in price e.g data monetization. The delusion is that Android can be the utopia: cheaper, more open, just as secure, just as private and just as good for content creators and publishers. It can't be all those things because some come at the expense of others.
  • Reply 107 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is bullshit. I've been using 1Password with iOS 8 extensions for the past day and it is awesome. Same with quick replies for instant messaging. Stubbornly holding back features is not keeping something clean and good. Apple was losing sales to the competition because they were holding back useful features in iOS.

Finally!!!

Someone who knows the difference between "losing" and "loosing".

I thought the day would never come.  lol

Me, to. I was loosing sleep over it. lol

• Reply 108 of 126
    Me, to. I was loosing sleep over it. lol

Tighten up those bed rails. ????
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The excuse is always that there's no evidence to say definitively. There are indicators from developers:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/27547/android-piracy-outnumbers-ios-piracy-by-141-driving-devs-to-freemium-only-model/

"Developers >Butterscotch Shenanigans recently released a game called Towelfight 2 on both iOS and Android. On both platforms, the game cost $0.99. On iOS, about 5% of all users pirated it, numbering about 2,438 copies. On Android though? 34,091 copies were stolen."

"With our recently launched Vex Blocks, piracy rate on Android is running about 95% for the full version for the past 2 months it's been available. We saw our game show up on download sites within hours of launch. By contrast, we launched on iOS exactly one week ago and so far almost exactly the same number of people paying for the game, however piracy seems contained at under 5%. It'll be interesting to see how it looks a month or 2 from now. Most developers say they see about 2.5 to 3 times more revenue on iOS. That hasn't been our experience thus far. It would be nice if even a quarter of those Android pirates were willing to spend a buck to help support the games they play."

http://www.zdnet.com/madfinger-game-goes-free-on-ios-piracy-to-blame-like-on-android-7000002050/

The statement about piracy being linked with jailbreaking is brought up here:

"There are several myths about pirates. One often repeated is that, while they might have a jailbroken device, they still buy games anyway. Then I do not understand how the number of pirates on iOS is comparable with the amount of jailbroken devices. Of course, I know that some jailbreak users are paying for games as well, but could it be around 1% at the most?"

"Piracy is a serious problem for both platforms, but the general consensus is that the issue is much more serious on Google's Android than it is on Apple's iOS (see also iOS app developer: Android is designed for piracy)."

http://www.zdnet.com/ios-app-developer-android-is-designed-for-piracy-7000001582/

"he's an iOS app developer, so his conclusion under the last heading "Lock it down" should not be surprising: "Closed is better for business." The problem is that he's right."

This is evident in PC gaming where the piracy rate is higher than consoles to the point that developers sometimes don't even release PC versions but if they do, it's long after the console version. GTA V will be on the high-end consoles in November but despite running on x86, they pushed the PC version back to the end of January 2015.

The problem with Android proponents is that there's a refusal to accept that bad things come with the good. A system can't be completely open and completely devoid of piracy and malware. It can't be cheaper without having a way to make up for the difference in price e.g data monetization. The delusion is that Android can be the utopia: cheaper, more open, just as secure, just as private and just as good for content creators and publishers. It can't be all those things because some come at the expense of others.

Good write up and you're right, I responded emotionally which I should never do. I'm just tired of people stating that people who use alternatives to Apple are degenerates. The amount of money I have spent over the years buying apps for all of my platforms is significant. Not once did the notion of cheating people or companies out of a few dollars for their programs come to mind. Apps are cheap, except maybe the music creation ones but I have no problem paying for excellence, not only that but grocery stores sell apps store cards now so there is absolutely no reason to pirate software, it's a hassle and almost always, has malware embedded into them. It's just not worth it and frankly an idiotic thing to do , it's the kids that are mostly doing it, so I think parents need to police their childrens devices more. Both my children get 50 dollar cards each month to buy whatever they want from the app store, that's more then enough and neither have felt the need to pirate because of it.

• Reply 110 of 126
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Marvin wrote: »

... A system can't be completely open and completely devoid of piracy and malware. It can't be cheaper without having a way to make up for the difference in price e.g data monetization. The delusion is that Android can be the utopia: cheaper, more open, just as secure, just as private and just as good for content creators and publishers. It can't be all those things because some come at the expense of others.

"When indie game developer Bram Stolk detected 1,114 copies of his The Little Tank That Could being played online, he suspected something was up. He had, in fact, sold only 45 copies of the new iPhone game.

Stolk had fallen victim to what is being called rampant piracy in iPhone titles, possibly worse than has been experienced for so long on other platforms because of the ease with which it can be perpetrated.

Indie developer Smells Like Donkey has been quoted as saying that more than 90% of users of its recently released iPhone brawler Tap-Fu were playing pirated versions...

In Vancouver, Stolk was floored. Like most indies, he hadn't gone into the business expecting to have his creations stolen from him -- at least not at the rate he was detecting. For every copy he was selling at the App Store, 24 others were being bootlegged. Most distressing, he admitted, was that legitimate copies of his game sold for only $1.99.

"They were stealing my game for a whole one dollar and 99 cents," he says, admitting being "disheartened" from the experience. "I mean, how sad is that?"

"What we've determined is that over 60% of iPhone applications have definitively been pirated based on our checks," he reveals, "and the number is probably higher than that."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132582/iphone_piracy_the_inside_story.php?print=1

It's not as tho iOS app piracy is rare, even with the restricted Apple ecosystem. Sometimes even without jailbreaking.
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01/01/low-down-dirty-iphone-app-pirates/

As much piracy as on "Android"? Probably not. Does that make it OK and not any kind of problem on iOS then? Certainly not. The problem looks to be getting worse on all platforms.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something that I think you'd even give Google props for. If a user ignores Google Android safeguards and allows installs from 3rd party sites anyway, perhaps that pirated content you mentioned, then worse ignores Google warnings of potential malware included with that questionable app Google will still try to prevent it from doing anything malicious. They don't abandon a user simply because he uses poor judgment and questionable ethics with his source of apps.
    http://androidandme.com/2014/04/news/googles-verify-apps-now-features-full-time-app-scanning/
  • Reply 111 of 126

iPhone 6 is in the corner now, I want to get one faked iPhone 6, does any one have good recommendation? How about this one?

[url=http://www.hdc-mobile.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=71]Wico I6 4.7 Inch 854x580 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS Cell phone 1GB Ram 4G Rom Single Nano Sim 3G GPS Finger Print - HDC Mobile Phone Shop[/url] . Wico I6 4.7 is  854x580  inch Android phone 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS Cell phone with  1GB Ram  and 4G Rom Single Nano Sim 3G GPS Finger Print . this is best option for i phone 6 . so gyes hurry up and get it right now . i have it and enjoying using it .

• Reply 112 of 126
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ^ post

For a split second there I thought it was a post from Corrections¡
  • Reply 113 of 126
    Marvin wrote: »
    "There are several myths about pirates. One often repeated is that, while they might have a jailbroken device, they still buy games anyway. Then I do not understand how the number of pirates on iOS is comparable with the amount of jailbroken devices. Of course, I know that some jailbreak users are paying for games as well, but could it be around 1% at the most?".

Possibly, but some of the most expensive apps I've ever bought were through Cydia (or whatever the store was called). The most expensive app I ever bought was for Apple's App Store. It was TomTom (and I bought 3 copies of it, three for myself, 2 as gifts).

Perhaps ironically, the only app I ever pirated when I did jailbreak to get additional features was the TomTom app for iOS. The reason I pirated it was so I could test it out since Apple doesn't offer a trial period option for developers and I didn't know at the time how easy it was to get reimbursed for an app you didn't like.

I think if Apple did offer developers an option for a few trial period durations it would benefit users and developers. I know I'd certainly test more apps I wouldn't otherwise consider buying.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A must watch video.
    guymaioh wrote:
    Interesting, although, if we're strictly talking business the money is till going in for apple!

I think Apple would not get their money either way.but it's going to those that are creating an unnatural void in the market which pushes typical customers get annoyed with ridiculously long lines, being turned away for not having the model they want, having to wait longer for the model they want (even with an online purchase), or buying at an inflated price from another source. This hurts Apple's image for those that have to deal with this. Imagine living next to one of these lines. Every year you'd simply be annoyed by the people in line for days just to sell them.

Note that Apple does care or they wouldn't limit the sales to just two units. If it was just about unloading them then a single buyer getting everything in the store at the full retail price would be best, right? Only for that one sale, but it hurts their brand and image.

Of course, under the current policy these linesitters have every right to and I feel a little bad for them because they are just trying to earn some extra money. I can't begrudge from taking advantage of a poorly design system, but I do wish Apple would change it. I think Apple previously had a system where they wouldn't take cash but I think that was thwarted because of people that need to use cash or people just got gift cards instead.

What if for the first x-weeks of a major product release Apple no longer allows cash to be accepted. Certainly there are legitimate buyers that only have cash (perhaps they were given cash as a gift) so what if they were allowed to get a special Apple Store gift card that could be only funded by an electronic payment which would eleviate the anonymized nature of cash. Would that put a dent in the plans of those operating this system?
  • Reply 115 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Possibly, but some of the most expensive apps I've ever bought were through Cydia (or whatever the store was called). The most expensive app I ever bought was for Apple's App Store. It was TomTom (and I bought 3 copies of it, three for myself, 2 as gifts).

Perhaps ironically, the only app I ever pirated when I did jailbreak to get additional features was the TomTom app for iOS. The reason I pirated it was so I could test it out since Apple doesn't offer a trial period option for developers and I didn't know at the time how easy it was to get reimbursed for an app you didn't like.

I think if Apple did offer developers an option for a few trial period durations it would benefit users and developers. I know I'd certainly test more apps I wouldn't otherwise consider buying.

I just attempted to pirate two apps, wasn't very successful however, even gave it the ole college try. Let me first iterate that I own the two apps I tried to pirate. I wanted to see how easy it was, so far, not very, depending on the software, i.e. the ones worth pirating. I chose FL Studio Mobile and the new Modern Combat 5. I first tried torrents, found the apps easy enough, downloaded and installed both without any apparent issues, start. FL gave no error but crashed on the splash screen, immediately went to the desktop, MC5 stated my license didn't match my online profile. I of course tried with the network connection disabled but same reactions. So I deleted both of them and found a couple more copies on a pirate site called apkdreams. Modern Combat 5 was a huge pain as I had to download 8 different .rar files. Same thing as before, no go, my last try I used an older version of both and again, no go. Now I used software from two very reputable company's, maybe the bigger boys have better control over their software, I don't know, what I do know, it's not as easy as people make it out to be. Try it for yourself, let me know if any of you are successful. I'm now downloading PhotoShop Touch and GTA San Andreas to see if I can get those to work, again I own both of these apps. Oh and I also backup-ed up my entire system with data onto a ROM before I started this little experiment as to not corrupt my system with possible malware, when I'm finished I'll simply just flash the tablet back to it's previous state. You guys hate Android I get it but you have to admit, being able to backup your entire system onto a single ROM is pretty cool, restore time is also under 4 minutes, backup takes a little longer, about 7. Will let you know how this next attempt goes.Right now though, I'm feeling so baaaaaddddd, oooohhh aaahhhh, oooohhh, where are you going my little finger, excuse me please.

• Reply 116 of 126
    Oh and I also backup-ed up my entire system with data onto a ROM before I started this little experiment, when I finished I'll simply just flash the tablet back to it's previous state. You guys hate Android I get it but you have to admit, being able to backup your entire system onto a single ROM is pretty cool, restore time is also under 4 minutes, backup takes a little longer, about 7. Will let you know how this attempt goes.

Why would you want to create an image when you can just back up all your files without the OS and boot partition(s)? A backup means you can restore to any device with the same OS, regardless of the HW.
  • Reply 117 of 126

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why would you want to create an image when you can just back up all your files without the OS and boot partition(s)? A backup means you can restore to any device with the same OS, regardless of the HW.

I wanted the entire system in case I got a malware or virus, it's just easier to wipe everything and flash the entire system back to it's original state when I'm done goofing around, who want's to dick around with reinstalling an entire OS, apps and then restoring data. my way takes like 7 minutes.

• Reply 118 of 126
    I wanted the entire system in case I got a malware or virus, plus it's really easy and quick to do. Doesn't hurt anything, why do you care?

Considering the first comment of yours I quoted it's you that cares. I only responded to your odd comment.
  • Reply 119 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Considering the first comment of yours I quoted it's you that cares. I only responded to your odd comment.

Nah, I don't care, I just thought it was weird of you to ask. I'm using pirated software, who knows what it's going to do. so it's just safer to create a complete carbon copy ROM then to just backup my data, there is no data to backup anyway, all of it is in the cloud. Upon bootup I mount all my cloud storage as local directories, actually my entire home directory, apps don't know the difference and I don't have to use a bunch of silly clients. If for any reason my tablet doesn't have Internet upon bootup I programmed it to connect to my phones Wifi hotspot instead of it's built in LTE, if I still can't get a connection (which hasn't happened since 2012 as I have two different mobile providers. Orange and Swisscom) then the tablet boots into a different user, my offline profile which has a mirrored copy of the user directory from the cloud.

Edit; Photoshop Touch worked, kind of, it starts up, I can open a file but when I try to add an effect or a text box it crashes. GTA is still downloading. So far I'm not impressed with pirated software. Why do people do this again. You can get a whole lot of apps for a 50 dollar app store card. My grocery store now carries Apple's, Google's and Microsoft's.

• Reply 120 of 126
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Reuters says Apple is losing its cool factor with consumers. And now we have a story from BusinessWeek with a headline that Apple's phones won't change the world but Nokia's will. And just the other day they put up a story telling android users not to buy the new iPhones because it's too difficult to switch ecosystems. I'd love to know who's paying for this FUD.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-18/hey-android-users-dont-buy-the-new-iphones#r=read

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-19/why-apples-new-phones-wont-change-the-world-but-nokias-will
    they shouldve asked the Reuters.com and Reuters TV tech team who all rushed out and bought iPhone 6 the first day about losing the cool factor. Lmao!!! All but like two people are iPhone 6 owners on our team.