Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 225
    apple ][ wrote: »
    frood wrote: »

It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Is it really an issue though?

I mean, I see plenty of people with cracked iPhone screens. How many iPhone users are currently walking around and using a phone with a cracked screen? I bet that the number is not small, yet that is not an issue. If people drop their phones, then the display just might crack.

If people have iPhone 6+s, and if they are not careful with using it (like sitting down with that large phone in their pants pocket), or if they intentionally try to damage it like some have done, then yeah, it just might bend or break.

It's a question of perception.

Cracked screens are generally a result of being dropped by accident. No-one is going to hold Apple responsible for that.

But if people are worried that their Plus is in danger of acquiring a bend over the long term through simply being in a pocket—well, that's going to put them off buying it in the first place. And secondly, people would regard that as a structural flaw in the phone and blame Apple, rightly.

The problem for Apple is that even if in four years' time, only a tiny number of Pluses end up bent, the damage has been done already. People have to make a judgment today on whether they want to risk it. Apple showing a few journalists their testing equipment isn't going to count for much. If anything, the reverse, as it seems like Apple is saying, "Well, we've gone through our usual tests; that's all, folks," when it's very obvious that the new iPhones are bound to be less robust that past models.

I'm afraid that the youtube guy's video is convincing and he comes across as honest.
  • Reply 62 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did that happen?

LOL!

• Reply 63 of 225
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How did that happen?

Some guesses(I have no idea) - Airport baggage handlers, shipping company, Angry spouse... Or... 12 year old future engineer!????
  • Reply 64 of 225
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Some guesses(I have no idea) - Airport baggage handlers, shipping company, Angry spouse... Or... 12 year old future engineer!????

Ballmer sees a Clippers player using it?
  • Reply 65 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

So they have test apparatus's (apperati?).  Of course.

It says they're the 'most tested iphone'.

And the 'duh' statement: "The bottom line is that if you use enough force to bend an iPhone, or any phone, it's going to deform," Riccio said.

Of course, with enough force you can break anything.

'Most tested' doesn't mean 'most successful' or 'most robust.' (They probably didn't show the press the bins of destroyed iPhones.)

And it neglects to answer the question if the iPhone 6 and 6+ take less force to bend than previous iPhones.

Which is a glaring omission.

Why is that even necessary?  Who cares if it's more bendable than 5S as long as it's good enough for normal situations(i.e. not sitting on the phone, using common sense, etc).   So, instead of phone bending 1 out 200,000 times, maybe it's now 1 out 100,000 times.   No big deal.   I'm betting that Galaxy S/note have higher hardware failure rate than that.    If you decide not to get the phone because of that failure rate, than you don't deserve it.

• Reply 66 of 225
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, it's not. It was foolishly said and calling other people or insinuating that they are racists is an immature way of communicating, not to mention that it's also slander.

I think that you're a rapist for agreeing with him.

"Slander"? Come on Apple ][. Everyone on this board knows you're a blatant racist, so stop expending energy denying it. You have a long, long list of posts that anyone can pull evidence from. Least of which is the fact that you fall over yourself to mention Obama pejoratively in any thread you can, even when he doesn't have a shred of relation to the topic. Everyone has seen it, and most of those who haven't blocked you are too fed to even bother responding anymore to your off topic drivel. It doesnt matter that I agree with you on topics pertaining to Apple, at the end of the day that's pretty minor. 

The sky is blue, and you're a racist- as well as a bigot, and a whole bunch of other pretty deplorable things. Just accept it and move on. Stop acting all self-righteous when anyone defines you accurately. I somehow doubt most of this board "misunderstands" you. Maybe some day before you die you'll realize that your mentality is a cancer to the world- and maybe you won't. Either way, you are what you are. 

• Reply 67 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Re/code was also invited on the tour and reports seeing four tests in action, including a sit test, pressure point test, torsion test and three-point bend test, the latter of which proves iPhone 6 can carry at least 25 kilograms of weight focused on the center of the device. The 6 can actually withstand more pressure, but Apple declined to offer specific numbers.

Yes but isn't it the 6 Plus that is bending?

• Reply 68 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's a question of perception.

Cracked screens are generally a result of being dropped by accident. No-one is going to hold Apple responsible for that.

But if people are worried that their Plus is in danger of acquiring a bend over the long term through simply being in a pocket—well, that's going to put them off buying it in the first place. And secondly, people would regard that as a structural flaw in the phone and blame Apple, rightly.

The problem for Apple is that even if in four years' time, only a tiny number of Pluses end up bent, the damage has been done already. People have to make a judgment today on whether they want to risk it. Apple showing a few journalists their testing equipment isn't going to count for much. If anything, the reverse, as it seems like Apple is saying, "Well, we've gone through our usual tests; that's all, folks," when it's very obvious that the new iPhones are bound to be less robust that past models.

I'm afraid that the youtube guy's video is convincing and he comes across as honest.

Seriously, you must have some weird PR agent neuron running your cerebral cortex because otherwise, nothing makes sense. 

Its not a structural flaw if it reacts EXACTLY how it was conceived and their testing proves it. You could maybe perceive that a long aluminium phone with some reinforcing could last eternally in your back pocket under whatever extraordinary strains you put on it.. But you would be WRONG.  If a phone drops to the floor from 10 feet and breaks, is that a design flaw? No. So, what the hell mental gymnastics tell you that the very few people who reported a problem to Apple represent a design flaw.

A real design flaw would means tens of thousands would already be reporting the problem seeing as there are 15 million phones in circulation right now.

I broke the 3GS back after 9 months by sitting on it too often. The 5 and 5s were also bent with time. Other phones have been broken in back pockets in the past. Even feature flip phones were wrecked in around 1997. These phones were very small. Yes, I'm old enough to remember this.

I've got a background in many fields of engineering, finished my first degree in 1992 (material, mechanical, electrical and computers), so you can try whatever FUD you're attempting on someone else.

• Reply 69 of 225

Oh-oh, make that 10 bent phones...

• Reply 70 of 225

This just goes to show how much Apple cares about their customers. Even after only nine reported instances around the world have been provided, Apple wants to reassure potential and current customers that they properly and stringently test their products. I ordered an iPhone 6+ today after reading this article and critically evaluating the claims. It's easy to get swept up in the tide, but it takes a smarter individual to use due diligence and think for oneself. Now let's all stop getting bent out of shape over this and realize there are people in this world who will do anything for some spotlight, even dare I say lie...oooooh I said it.

• Reply 71 of 225
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, come on Apple ][. Everyone on this board knows you're a blatant racist, so stop expending energy denying it. You have a long, long list of posts that anyone can pull evidence from. Least of which is the fact that you fall over yourself to mention Obama pejoratively in any thread you can, even when he doesn't have a shred of relation to the topic. Everyone has seen it, and most of those who haven't blocked you are too fed to even bother responding anymore to your off topic drivel.

The sky is blue, and you're a racist- as well as a bigot, and a whole bunch of other pretty deplorable things. Just accept it and move on. Stop acting all self-righteous when anyone defines you accurately. I somehow doubt most of this board "misunderstands" you. Maybe some day before you die you'll realize that your mentality is a cancer to the world- and maybe you won't. Either way, you are what you are. 

I'm going to have to assume that you're also a rapist.

Solipsism was the one who brought up Obama in this thread, so you're wrong about that. I am probably a bigot, I see no problems with that, but nope, I'm not a racist.

• Reply 72 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, it's not. It was foolishly said and calling other people or insinuating that they are racists is an immature way of communicating, not to mention that it's also slander.

I think that you're a rapist for agreeing with him.

Oh, come on Apple ][. Everyone on this board knows you're a blatant racist, so stop expending energy denying it. You have a long, long list of posts that anyone can pull evidence from. Least of which is the fact that you fall over yourself to mention Obama pejoratively in any thread you can, even when he doesn't have a shred of relation to the topic. Everyone has seen it, and most of those who haven't blocked you are too fed to even bother responding anymore to your off topic drivel.

Being pejorative about the President does not necessarily imply racism. Apple ][ is undoubtedly very politically incorrect but, I suspect, often taken far too literally and seriously. I mostly regard his over-the-top posts as humorously provocative.

• Reply 73 of 225
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I mentioned Bendghazi and Obama.

No kidding, and where does that word originate from? Oh yeah, it's from Benghazi, which Obama is involved in.

Anyway, this is going off topic, and we should not detract from the main point of this thread anymore, and that point is that Apple has officially owned the losers who are posting fraudulent iPhone videos on youtube and the people who are spreading FUD about Apple and iPhones.

Please shut the **** up. Don't derail the thread.
  • Reply 74 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I'll believe neither of them.  Youtube videos are, ... well... Youtube videos.

Test labs are great at testing everything within their design constraints and I certainly don't dispute Apple thoroughly tested these, the only question is whether their tests mimic actual usage accurately enough.

The only test that matters is how it fares in the wild.  There are now millions of 'test benches' out there, and if the iPhone 6+ starts bending from day to day use Apple has a legitimate issue on their hands.  It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Unfortunately the videos do alter people's perception.  There was a guy at my poker table recently who claimed he was trying to decide, and opted for the 6 instead of the 6+ largely because of this.  Not sure what category of 'idiot' that places him under in your worldview.

So, how is this idiotic video any more valid than Apple as a test case? Seriously. EVen if I agreed with you. Why believe this moron and not Apple?

I'm sure that it is not in Apple"s best Interest to have millions of bent phone after 6 month (or even ten thousand).  So, at what level do you think Apple has a problem... 10, 20 phones... Like seemingly a lot trollers online (People I don't believe one second have actually owned anything Apple ever).

The kind of frenzy from some people goes way way way beyond the reality of this as a potential issue. They don't really care about reality. They bend reality to fit their point of view.

• Reply 75 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Why is that even necessary?  Who cares if it's more bendable than 5S as long as it's good enough for normal situations(i.e. not sitting on the phone, using common sense, etc).   So, instead of phone bending 1 out 200,000 times, maybe it's now 1 out 100,000 times.   No big deal.   I'm betting that Galaxy S/note have higher hardware failure rate than that.    If you decide not to get the phone because of that failure rate, than you don't deserve it.

Btw, Apple needs to hammer the point that this is a RARE occurrence.   There are some people/media who still thinks iCloud was hacked.

So, admit that this could happen, but it happens so rarely, consumers should not worry about it.   And also say that you will replace if it happens.

Now, the only thing i'm worrying about is the fact that Samsung(given their moral bankruptcy) could get some people to buy the iPhone and bend it on purpose.

• Reply 76 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did that happen?

They just do that from regular use.

• Reply 77 of 225
    edit: Taking [@]anantksundaram[/@]'s advice.
  • Reply 78 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well Apple certainly is dealing with this head on. Of course it won't matter what they say as someone will find holes in it or claim they're not doing the right tests or they're lying. Sigh.

Because obviously a random person on the net runs tests and designs hardware better than a multi-billion dollar company. Oh.. And also they are soooo trustworthy because they are "impartial"... Besides the bundle of cash they get from clicks that is...

• Reply 79 of 225
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't derail the thread.

I believe that you're addressing the wrong person, because I have twice said that it should get back on topic.

• Reply 80 of 225
    I believe that you're addressing the wrong person, because I have twice said that it should get back on topic.

1) Then stop making partisan comments and, again, SHUT THE **** UP.

2) Again, calling this issue Bendghazi is as political as calling it Bend-gate.