Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please shut the **** up. Don't derail the thread.

Why should this thread be any different than normal. :)

• Reply 82 of 225
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Yes, Apple tests their phones.  But how about comparing those numbers to the amount of force produced by people?  It would have been more convincing if Apple invited the largest journalist in the group to try those same tests himself, then show that those machines actually produce more force.

• Reply 83 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's a question of perception.

Cracked screens are generally a result of being dropped by accident. No-one is going to hold Apple responsible for that.

But if people are worried that their Plus is in danger of acquiring a bend over the long term through simply being in a pocket—well, that's going to put them off buying it in the first place. And secondly, people would regard that as a structural flaw in the phone and blame Apple, rightly.

The problem for Apple is that even if in four years' time, only a tiny number of Pluses end up bent, the damage has been done already. People have to make a judgment today on whether they want to risk it. Apple showing a few journalists their testing equipment isn't going to count for much. If anything, the reverse, as it seems like Apple is saying, "Well, we've gone through our usual tests; that's all, folks," when it's very obvious that the new iPhones are bound to be less robust that past models.

I'm afraid that the youtube guy's video is convincing and he comes across as honest.

I agree with you that it's all about the perception.    The current perception is that it can bend in "normal" use.    That's obviously false, but it doesn't matter.    That's why Apple has to keep making the point that this is a RARE occurrence.   In other words, fight this perception with FACTS.   Also, we need reputable(such as recode, anandtech) folks to do their own testing and report that.    I'm talking about using it in NORMAL situations(who cares if it bends with your hands).

• Reply 84 of 225
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I mentioned Bendghazi and Obama.

Hey that is clever I didn't catch that before.
  • Reply 85 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Yes, Apple tests their phones.  But how about comparing those numbers to the amount of force produced by people?  It would have been more convincing if Apple invited the largest journalist in the group to try those same tests himself, then show that those machines actually produce more force.

You obviously miss the point of the testing.

• Reply 86 of 225
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Apple aren't perfect; even they make mistakes. Remember Antennagate?

Apple is singular. For instance, Apple is not perfect. Further Apple is not a they it is an it.
  • Reply 87 of 225
    tbell wrote: »

Apple is singular. For instance, Apple is not perfect. Further Apple is not a they it is an it.

Wrong.

Both are correct. Apple can be singular and plural.
  • Reply 88 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The iPhone 6 Plus is a curse on Apple. They never should've made it. I bet none of the executives including Ive himself even use it.

Oh, brother.

• Reply 89 of 225
    macvicta wrote: »
    The iPhone 6 Plus is a curse on Apple. They never should've made it. I bet none of the executives including Ive himself even use it.

Oh, for sure.

I agree.
  • Reply 90 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

Wrong.

Both are correct. Apple can be singular and plural.

If you really want to be picky about this, Apple is a company. Company in the business context, is a singular, inanimate noun (not a collective noun), referring to a singular, inanimate entity. It is Apple. They are not Apple.

• Reply 91 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMonline View Post

Another story was reporting that the actual number of cases reported to Apple was ...9. Even calling it a manufacturing defect only having 9 issues out of over 10 million phones is a home run in my book.

Yes - That number is much lower than Six Sigma, which is 3.4 defects per Million.

• Reply 92 of 225
    tbell wrote: »

Actually, the plural is correct in British usage. (I think they know something about English.)

And, as to whether it should be 'they' or 'it,' that depends on whether you believe in the notion of personhood of the corporation. According to the U.S. Supreme Court, the corporation has some important personhood rights (e.g., the right to free speech).
  • Reply 93 of 225
    macvicta wrote: »

Oh, for sure.

I agree.

Give it a rest. We heard you twice the first time.
  • Reply 94 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

People who do this...

...deserve to lose their toys.

And people who wear skinny tight jeans with big booty and put their phone or any object deserves what is coming to them. Maybe Apple should come up with a feature which will stick a needle up someone booty if they are disrespectful to their phone. If you put too must pressure of the phone it will prick you. Maybe they can modify the vibrate mode to prick the person of give them small electric shocks to get off their fat asses!

• Reply 95 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My nested quote has been changed by someone. I did not say "Oh, for sure." I said, "Oh, brother."  Screw whomever changed my quote.

• Reply 96 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My nested quote has been changed by someone. I did not say "Oh, for sure." I said, "Oh, brother."  Screw whomever changed my quote.

Changing someone's words in the Quote should be worthy of a one week suspension... imo.

• Reply 97 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Changing someone's words in the Quote should be worthy of a one week suspension... imo.

I agree.

• Reply 98 of 225

I don't see any media trolls out there kicking Prius's and "revealing" the dents and dings, blaming Toyota.

• Reply 99 of 225

Weird. Just to clarify, I was referring to Frost, not you.

(Unfortunately, and as you likely know, it's a pain to de-nest quotes when posting on AI from an iPad or iPhone).
  • Reply 100 of 225
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Yes - as expected, they tested extensively and the design meets their strength criteria. Now, one can argue about whether those criteria are appropriate but, given the forces apparently applied by others to make these phones bend, I see no evidence that they are not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Look. Idiots. Here’s how it goes down. Now stop spreading lies about our products.”

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Brilliant! This is exactly how to deal with viral trolling, use the publicity to shed positive light on the issue and hilight one of Apple's many strengths, build quality. This is a new Apple we're seeing and I love it. Major kudos to Tim for making this happen. I hope we see more of this kind of FUD control.

And next year when Apple fixes the issue with a new 6 PLUS S  material you all will eat crow- just like when Apple fixed antennae gate on the iPhone 4 to 4S.

Tim Cook should give out free steel bumpers for the 6 PLUS like Steve did for the 4.