PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 101 of 175
    ibeam wrote: »
    with all due respect the keynote was unwatchable. Maybe you conveniently forgot it was a complete disaster.

You're talking about the live stream, which is not the same as the event itself.
  • Reply 102 of 175
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    I am hoping Apple Pay does well and I can make my life easier, however NFC has not broken any adoption records in the US and Apple is not going to change that overnight, suggestions to the contrary are misleading.  No one is going to leave their plastic at home, because the one time you need it and your Apple Pay doesn't work you are SOL.  Go to your average store and ask about NFC or how to check out the clerks have no clue.

Apple will hasten the adoption that is a given, but it won't be next week or next year, try 2 years for a fully accepted platform.  Not every retailer is in love with Apple Pay, say what you will about the "Wal-Mart Crowd" they are the largest retailer in the world and they have a lot of clout, more than Apple.

You underestimate Apple, just as thousands of others have underestimated them with regards to iPod/music industry/smart phone/tablet. Apple Pay is not the pathetic attempt at implementation of NFC in the US. Android and Google royally messed up a potential competitive advantage there. Once Apple Pay picks up steam the Walmarts of the world will follow quickly. It's inevitable. I give it 10 months vs. your 2 year prediction.
  • Reply 103 of 175
    raptoroo7 wrote: »

Clearly you don't have a clue or know my Apple background so let ME educate you.  

Not interested.

Just assume every spiel like that is cut-and-pasted from the Troll Handbook™. I just replace it with: "I've owned five of every Apple product since 1892, but seriously—when are they going to give us a two-button mouse, amirite?"
  • Reply 104 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're talking about the live stream, which is not the same as the event itself.

Yep my bad. Apple event was flawless. Sorry I tried to watch but it did not work. I only learned now that Apples Pay works online, maybe. This is not well known. I don't think anyone knows the details because they have not disclosed the details. Why are you making excuses for their obviously failed live stream? it was a Fu**ing disaster. J

• Reply 105 of 175
    Apple event was flawless.

That's going way too far the other way. It was eventful, and I believe historic for at least ?Pay, but there were plenty of little flaws with the presentation itself.
    Why are you making excuses for their obviously failed live stream?

What excuses am I making for their live stream fiasco?
  • Reply 106 of 175
    Yep my bad. Apple event was flawless. Sorry I tried to watch but it did not work. I only learned now that Apples Pay works online, maybe. This is not well known. I don't think anyone knows the details because they have not disclosed the details. Why are you making excuses for their obviously failed live stream? it was a Fu**ing disaster. J

You can go watch it now if you want. Yes, they had problems. Get over it.
  • Reply 107 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

You can go watch it now if you want. Yes, they had problems. Get over it.

I already decided to buy the new phone. I don't have any need to watch the keynote  a day or two later. If they can't  deliver  the video on time as promised then you have to wonder why they thought that was a good iidea. In my opinion they should have been more realistic and known a world wide live stream was impossible on their network but no, Apple is not subject to the laws of physics. They should have used Akamai but no, they wanted to do it themselves when their capabilities are unproven and untested. Good plan /not

• Reply 108 of 175
    I already decided to buy the new phone. I don't have any need to watch the keynote  a day or two later. If they can't  deliver  the video on time as promised then you have to wonder why they thought that was a good iidea. In my opinion they should have been more realistic and known a world wide live stream was impossible on their network but no, Apple is not subject to the laws of physics. They should have used Akamai but no, they wanted to do it themselves when their capabilities are unproven and untested. Good plan /not

Wow, you just love to complain, don't you? Actually, the problems were traced to human error. But, of course, you don't make mistakes do you?
  • Reply 109 of 175
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If you traded a cow for a chicken, then you just watched someone steal a cow from you. :lol:

Don't be silly.

Cows are like notes and chickens are like small change.

Nobody would ever exchange a dollar for a dime.

I get the distinct impression that you're not taking this whole cow/chicken barter system thing seriously...

;)
  • Reply 110 of 175
    I already decided to buy the new phone. I don't have any need to watch the keynote  a day or two later.

If you're not understand key aspects of a new service perhaps you should watch it.
    If they can't  deliver the video on time as promised then you have to wonder why they thought that was a good iidea..

1) Clearly they thought they could deliver the live stream properly.

2) I'm not sure how or why the term "on time" is being used when referring to a live stream.
    In my opinion they should have been more realistic and known a world wide live stream was impossible on their network but no, Apple is not subject to the laws of physics. They should have used Akamai but no, they wanted to do it themselves when their capabilities are unproven and untested. Good plan /not

1) There is no "laws of physics" that make it impossible for Apple to offer a live stream.

2) seem to recall that they did use Akamai.

3) You're comment about laws of physics doesn't mesh with your comment about using Akamai.

Bottom line, regardless of this one shitty live stream it doesn't mean that you should disregard ?Pay as a paradigm changing service.
  • Reply 111 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

Wow, you just love to complain, don't you? Actually, the problems were traced to human error. But, of course, you don't make mistakes do you?

No complaint, just justifying a position that I should not be expected to be knowledgeable of a feature that is not common knowledge primarily due to a technical failure on Apple's part.

• Reply 112 of 175
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

I only learned now that Apples Pay works online, maybe. This is not well known.

It is for anyone who saw the keynote at any point or is capable of going to Apple.com.

I don't think anyone knows the details because they have not disclosed the details.

Or, you know, you could watch the keynote or go to Apple.com.

Why are you making excuses for their obviously failed live stream?

Because you can watch the keynote perfectly now or go to Apple.com to see the information contained therein.

I don't have any need to watch the keynote a day or two later.

Apparently you do because you’re spewing lies.

If they can’t deliver the video on time as promised…

There was no time. There was no promise. Keep your fantasies to yourself.

In my opinion they should have been more realistic and known a world wide live stream was impossible on their network

Ah, so you know the capabilities of their network and know that it couldn’t possibly have WHY AM I WASTING MY TIME WITH YOU?

They should have used Akamai but no

Except they did use Akamai. Once again, you refuse to educate yourself before spouting off about things you don’t comprehend.

• Reply 113 of 175
    Quote:

Bottom line, regardless of this one shitty live stream it doesn't mean that you should disregard ?Pay as a paradigm changing service.

And I didn't realize it was an online payment as well as point of sale featue. We will see how it works in the coming months I am sure. I couldn't care less though because I'm  probably  not going to use it either online or at point of sale, so yeah it is meaningless to me. Still it was a complete fail for the live keynote stream, typical. Makes one wonder if Apple actually understands how the Internet works. I use their platform for everything  but it is annoying and embarrassing when they screw up because it makes me look bad, being such an Apple apologist. 

• Reply 114 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How is PayPal going with Samsung a “typical move by Apple”? 

Confusing troll rhetoric for logic is your first mistake.

• Reply 115 of 175
    No complaint, just justifying a position that I should not be expected to be knowledgeable of a feature that is not common knowledge primarily due to a technical failure on Apple's part.

You can stream it from their site, download it as a Podcast in 3 different quality ratings, read about it on their website, or read one of thousands of articles on the internet about the service. No one else was able to watch the live stream properly that day either, but the rest of us managed to read live streams from attendees, as well as had weeks now to get up to date on what was presented.
  • Reply 116 of 175
    I use their platform for everything but it is annoying and embarrassing when they screw up because it makes me look bad, being such an Apple apologist.

What?! :???:
  • Reply 117 of 175

And I didn't realize it was an online payment as well as point of sale featue. 

Then maybe you should have checked the website after the event.

...so yeah it is meaningless to me.

So quit whining about it.

Still it was a complete fail for the live keynote stream, typical.

Except in no way was it typical.

Makes one wonder if Apple actually understands how the Internet works.

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 118 of 175
    Quote:

1) Clearly they thought they could deliver the live stream properly.

2) I'm not sure how or why the term "on time" is being used when referring to a live stream.

1) There is no "laws of physics" that make it impossible for Apple to offer a live stream.

2) seem to recall that they did use Akamai.

3) You're comment about laws of physics doesn't mesh with your comment about using Akamai.

Don't rationalize it.

Apple streams FaceTime, iTunes Radio, iTunes previews, multi-gigabyte 1080p movies to AppleTV, and iTunes Music Match every day.

Only trolls looking for a cheap shot will complain repeatedly about one failed live stream.

• Reply 119 of 175
    Quote:

What?! image

FU don't be obtuse you clearly understand my comment.

• Reply 120 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't rationalize it.

Apple streams FaceTime, iTunes Radio, iTunes previews, multi-gigabyte 1080p movies to AppleTV, and iTunes Music Match every day.

Only trolls looking for a cheap shot will complain repeatedly about one failed live stream.

Yep Apple are the masters of network srvices. Everyone knows that.