PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 141 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Complete nonsense. I am the go to guru in my work place. They come to me for every computer question, They mostly have Macs, iPads and iPhones. The office is all Windows but if they need to buy a device for home or for a relative, college student they always come to me for advice.

Must be an interesting workplace...

• Reply 142 of 175

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple doesn't need evangelists. It's no longer 1996.

Then everyone on this forum should sign off

• Reply 143 of 175
    ibeam wrote: »

Good idea. You go first.
  • Reply 144 of 175
    Quote:

Good idea. You go first.

Honestly, which idea that I have expressed do yo disagree with?

• Reply 145 of 175
    ibeam wrote: »

I think you're the only one here that feels that Apple making a mistake reflects poorly on you as an individual. The rest of us were just annoyed with the situation that didn't allow us to watch the event we planned to see at the time we planned to see it.
  • Reply 146 of 175

Dude, you are embarrassment to human race please refrain form posting ever again.

‘Course, that doesn’t take much these days. I don’t remember the last time I was happy. Then again, I don’t remember the last time.

• Reply 147 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

‘Course, that doesn’t take much these days. I don’t remember the last time I was happy. Then again, I don’t remember the last time.

That is sort of what I imagined about you.

• Reply 148 of 175
    Quote:

Honestly, which idea that I have expressed do yo disagree with?

I said Apple doesn't need evangelists like it's still 1996. Pay attention.

• Reply 149 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

I said Apple doesn't need evangelists like it's still 1996. Pay attention.

That's all you got ?

• Reply 150 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

It doesn't ultimately matter for Apple or the consumer.

The only people this effects are app developers.

Integration with third party merchants is only for using Apple Pay for apps. All this means is developers that were going to use PayPal to process their payments in their app now have to choose a different provider.

The list of providers current being:

And being a developer myself, I can guarantee 100% that no developer on this planet likes to integrate with PayPal, their API is fragmented, poorly documented and buggy. This is ultimately good for everybody but PayPal.

Agreed. I have used PayPal's iOS API. Terrible, unbelievably bad. 

I'm so glad Apple have not partnered with this low life company.

I bet there is more to this story. I would say it was more likely that Apple didn't want them to join their 'club' in the first place, PayPal then wen't running to Samsung worried that Apple may loosen their grip in web/app payments biz. This story could well be spin on a bad situation emanating from the Samdung and Paypal camp.

• Reply 151 of 175
    Quote:

That's all you got ?

Well you asked me a question, and I gave you an answer.

So maybe I should be asking you "that's all you got?"

• Reply 152 of 175
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Well you asked me a question, and I gave you an answer.

So maybe I should be asking you "that's all you got?"

About what?  I've been using Macs since 2023, perhaps that might illustrate  my perspective... oops time travel fax pas

• Reply 153 of 175

And now you’re just spamming.

• Reply 154 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And now you’re just spamming.

It started a long time ago.

• Reply 155 of 175
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    A report on Tuesday claims PayPal was in the running to be a prominent partner in Apple's rollout of Apple Pay, but talks went south earlier this year after the payments company struck a similar partnership with Samsung.

The publication claims former PayPal president David Marcus was against the Samsung partnership as it would hinder future operations with Apple, but eBay CEO John Donahoe forced PayPal to accept. The dynamic just got more interesting with news today that PayPal will be spun off from eBay in 2015, possibly opening the door to policy changes and realigned alliances.

John Donahoe was also responsible for the huge rampup of outsourcing to the Philipines, so if you're wondering why service has been going down hill, that's it. The company was fine under Meg, and the Paypal integration was pushed even tighter under Meg. So splitting eBay and Paypal is going to be extremely damaging to both parts of the company. eBay will want in on that Apple Pay system, and Paypal wants to get more into Steam and various other online game payments.
  • Reply 156 of 175
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Samsung is a better fit for paypal, who want to act like a bank when it suits, but abrogate normal bank responsibilities when it doesn't. For the first 5 years they were arrogant and nasty but lately paypal has cleaned up, but they dragged out the torment as long as they could. Really PayPal would be a liability for Apple Pay as they are more likely to give apple a bad name.

• Reply 157 of 175
    sypersyper Posts: 1member

You're missing the point, Apple, Paypal et al want you to store your cards to prey upon IMPULSIVENESS. Instant gratification. it is the sad state of the world we live in... I remember getting paper catalogues in the post ordering something and waiting 21 days for it to be delivered, was it better? suppose it taught us patience!

• Reply 158 of 175
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sounds like PayPal is punishing themselves. I think the term is 'cutting off their nose to spit their face.'

Would you really want to deal with PayPal? They should have been removed as a consideration based on their own merits.

• Reply 159 of 175
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I have zero intention of using either one of them. Are we realy so lazy as a country that we're physically incapable of reaching into our wallets and pulling out credit/debit cards?

target allowed my credit card info to be stolen

home depot allowed my credit card info to be stolen

no. not lazy. simply concerned about security.

if the US had chip & PIN i would be less concerned. (i have a chip now, but it is pretty much useless without the PIN)

• Reply 160 of 175
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Are they serious, if you click on paypal to pay an online merchant they send them your name your address so you do not have to enter online. Yeah they are not sharing your information. I only use paypal when I buy stuff form an online merchant which I do not do regular business, since I do not want them have all my personal information along with my CC stuff. It is nice level of protect and Paypal will refund you money if the merchant messes with you. But they can not claim they protect all your personal information how else can someone ship you a product with they do not know who you are.

Well, duh, but it's not like you don't know it's happening. The final screen that appears before you confirm the transaction on Paypal's server shows you exactly what information will be shared with the merchant. 

PayPal has an excellent track record with security,* and because of that it's a highly trusted brand. Personally, it took me a few years way back when to trust online transactions and PayPal was a large part of that. Apple's taking a real chance on Stripe, which is much less of a proven commodity. Hopefully this won't blow up in their faces, because it's easy to imagine the headlines ("Apple went with Stripe, and now your credit card numbers are out there with your nudes"). 

* A third party lab did find a way to spoof PayPal's two factor authentication back in June, but there's no evidence the company's ever been hacked in the wild.