Samsung Galaxy Note 4 delivers poor graphics performance vs. Apple iPhone 6 Plus

2456713

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 247
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    It's not completely clear to me, but it seems these benchmarks are based on the "Exynos" variation of Samsung devices, which are not actually sold in many markets, right? In fact, it is the Snapdragon hardware which consumer in Europe, US and Australia are actually going to encounter, I think.

    The benchmarks identify the Samsung Galaxy S5 Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core CPU with Adreno 330 GPU. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Snapdragon variant offers better performance in nearly every (if not every) use case especially when graphics are considered.
  • Reply 22 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post









    Notably, Samsung Galaxy S5 continues to use a PenTile arrangement of sub-pixels due to the inefficiencies of OLED displays. Such sub-pixel arrangements continue to offer lower performance (less sharpness) than LCD for displaying text thus requiring ultra-high pixel counts to provide similar quality to LCD displays.

    If you can get away from the fact that the galaxy s5 is a samsung device and instead focus on OLED as a technology, it is FAR better than LCD.

     

    OLED has perfect blacks, better colors when calibrated, and lower power draw especially when displaying black.

     

    No need to confuse samsung's implementation with a poor technology.

  • Reply 23 of 247
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,530member

    Trouble is we will not see this analysis anywhere else on any tech website. And because it’s on an Apple centric website it will be completely dismissed as biased and lacking credibility. Facts may be facts but it depends on who is presenting the facts. Sad but true.

  • Reply 24 of 247
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,697member
    700


    Notably, Samsung Galaxy S5 continues to use a PenTile arrangement of sub-pixels due to the inefficiencies of OLED displays. Such sub-pixel arrangements continue to offer lower performance (less sharpness) than LCD for displaying text thus requiring ultra-high pixel counts to provide similar quality to LCD displays.

    Using a PenTile arrangement isn't necessarily a black-mark. The most color accurate and strongest performing smartphone display yet tested is in fact an OLED using that diamond-pattern PenTile screen. In addition if OLED's were as inherently inefficient as you say Apple would not choose one for their Apple Watch would they?

    The Samsung Note might be a relatively poor performer with gaming just as DED claims but if so I don't think you can blame it on inefficient and poor display
  • Reply 25 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     

    Trouble is we will not see this analysis anywhere else on any tech website. And because it’s on an Apple centric website it will be completely dismissed as biased and lacking credibility. Facts may be facts but it depends on who is presenting the facts. Sad but true.




    I think the benchmarks should be reproducible by any website willing to verify.

    But of course, tech websites love Samsung.

  • Reply 26 of 247
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    mazecookie wrote: »

    All DED is pointing out is that the octacore processor Samsung is careful to market is not as powerful as a dual core processor Apple barely talks about.

    Which begs the question, why use an eight core processor in the first place? The only logical answer is either their engineering team sucks, or they want to trick people into thinking an octacore processor is better than a dual core processor.


    Much in the same way every 12mp camera is better than an 8mp camera.

    I'm all for an article pointing out specs do not mean performance.

    An argument could be made that the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 is sub-par as well considering the use of a quad-core processor versus the Apple A8 dual-core (64-bit) processor.
  • Reply 27 of 247

    I'm convinced DED posted this to flush out the Samsung apologists in the forums.

    Now there can be no doubt.

  • Reply 28 of 247
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

    I think the benchmarks should be reproducible by any website willing to verify.
    But of course, tech websites love Samsung.

    No. New media loves money and few companies are willing to pay for positive reviews.
  • Reply 29 of 247
    You know what's funny apple fan boys....Galaxy note 4 isn't running a samsung exynos chip. Its running a qualcomm snap-dragon 805 chip, secondly its clocked speed is 2.7 ghz not 1.8 ghz.

    The fake stats to prove apple's side is halirous!! thanks for the joke tho.

    Apples shall continue to be in the shadows of samsung :)
  • Reply 30 of 247
    This report will cause the android fanbois to throw a stroke and degenerate into all kinds of name calling and personal attacks in order to deflect from the truth.
  • Reply 31 of 247
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,408member

    Well, Apple, I hope you're proud of yourself...

    This sort of disappointment is exactly what comes

    from not letting them copy you so relentlessly.

     

    (do I really need this /: ?)

  • Reply 32 of 247

    Benchmarks are benchmarks. There's already been a few posts pointing out that there are variants of the Note which use a different CPU and it benchmarks higher (if that's even a verb). Is there a source for that claim? Even if there is then we have to wonder if the phone is benchmark aware like they have been in the past. This month the iPhone 6 will be on top. Sometime in the near future someone else's phone will be on top... Then in another few months the iPhone 6s and 6+s (?? I think 6s+) will be on top.

     

    Apple does more with less, always. Because Apple has control over the whole widget it can do this very well. That reminds me of the Power PC years, which didn't quite play out as well. You might say it was a giga-flop. Kind of. At some point the OLED displays will be the right choice for displays and then iPhones will have them. When the time is right (as determined by apple). 

     

    Maybe I'm just frustrated with the attention given to samsung here, and yes I know I don't have to read it all. FWIW Samsung has ensured I will never buy any of their branded stuff with their ads. Only recently have I seen phone and tablet ads that DIDN'T mention Apple. Finally. Keep doing that and perhaps I'll forget you were that creepy guy obsessing over the hot chick and over compensating by calling her a stupid bitch all the time...

     

    Lets not become Samsung obsessed just as Samsung is Apple obsessed.

  • Reply 33 of 247
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

    Samsung fans have had a field day recently throwing crap at the new iPhones and the so-called lesser specs and of course the 'bend' saga... I won't do the same at these Samsung users about the shoddy Note 4 performance.  I recognise I might be offending a lot of kids who don't know better.

  • Reply 34 of 247
    nagromme wrote: »
    I'll take speed, accurate colors and better sunlight visibility, over garish OLED colors and perfect blacks that never matter for readability and can only be seen in dim light :p

    Can't stop the future. The rate of improvements in OLED tech have been steep and in all the areas you mention, apparently are better than any LCD in the newest gen.

    The iPhone with the top of the line OLED tech in a year with Apple's attention to calibration would be amazing.
  • Reply 35 of 247
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

    Oh for goodness sakes, I have no love for Samsung but there isn’t a game on the market right now that the Note 4 couldn’t play...

     

    Infinity Blade.

     


    Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

    Can't stop the future. The rate of improvements in OLED tech have been steep and in all the areas you mention, apparently are better than any LCD in the newest gen.


     

    Except all are worse. OLED is the past. QD displays are the future.

  • Reply 36 of 247
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Benchmarks are benchmarks. There's already been a few posts pointing out that there are variants of the Note which use a different CPU and it benchmarks higher (if that's even a verb). Is there a source for that claim? Even if there is then we have to wonder if the phone is benchmark aware like they have been in the past. This month the iPhone 6 will be on top. Sometime in the near future someone else's phone will be on top... Then in another few months the iPhone 6s and 6+s (?? I think 6s+) will be on top.</span>


    Apple does more with less, always. Because Apple has control over the whole widget it can do this very well. That reminds me of the Power PC years, which didn't quite play out as well. You might say it was a giga-flop. Kind of. At some point the OLED displays will be the right choice for displays and then iPhones will have them. When the time is right (as determined by apple). 

    Maybe I'm just frustrated with the attention given to samsung here, and yes I know I don't have to read it all. FWIW Samsung has ensured I will never buy any of their branded stuff with their ads. Only recently have I seen phone and tablet ads that DIDN'T mention Apple. Finally. Keep doing that and perhaps I'll forget you were that creepy guy obsessing over the hot chick and over compensating by calling her a stupid bitch all the time...

    Lets not become Samsung obsessed just as Samsung is Apple obsessed.


    I don't believe this is an obsession.

    I often see arguments that Android smartphones are "superior" to Apple iPhone with such arguments generally directed toward performance especially Samsung Galaxy smartphones.

    The pro-Android arguments are quite circular, lacking logic:

    Fanatical Android user: You are locked into Apple
    Me: Apple lock-in isn't an issue considering they offer the best products
    Fanatical Android user: Android is faster
    Me: Which smartphone?
    Fanatical Android user: Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8), LG G3
    Me: Oh, really? (Shows Android user multiple websites with performance comparisons)
    Fanatical Android user: That isn't real world performance
    Me: Well, I like the design as well
    Fanatical Android user: Apple does have nice design but HTC has great design too
    Me: I like HTC design but most Android phones don't have that build quality
    Fanatical Android user: You are still locked in
    Me: Not really an issue since I have the best smartphone with the best ecosystem and best customer service
    Fanatical Android user: "Best smartphone" Ha! "Antennagate," "Apple Maps," "Bendghazi" and "Siri"
    Me: Well, The return rate of the iPhone 4 was less than average at 1.7% and "Benghazi" has affected 9 people (give or take) out of 10 million. You sure know a lot about Apple iPhones.
    Fanatical Android user: Yes, I have had a lot of smartphones in the past 3 years.
    Me: Oh?
    Fanatical Android user: Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus
    Me: You couldn't find a single smartphone you like?
    Fanatical Android user: Oh.
    Fanatical Android user: Well, I need a replaceable battery and SD card.
    Me: Really? Why?
    Fanatical Android user: I need to replace my battery!
    Me: Why? Doesn't your battery last all day?
    Fanatical Android user: Of course it does. I just need to remove the battery when I want to!
    Me: I still don't understand why you "need" to remove the battery. What is the SD card used for?
    Fanatical Android user: Extra storage.
    Me: I have a 128 GB iPhone and I use iCloud.
    Fanatical Android user: Well, Apple is charging you for that!
    Me: Of course Apple charges for additional storage. I'm sure your SD cards aren't free.
    Fanatical Android user: What about NFC?
    Me: NFC is nice I suppose but Apple prefers Bluetooth.
    Fanatical Android user: See, you are locked in!
    Me: Isn't Bluetooth better since it is faster, has a longer range and is arguably more secure?
    Fanatical Android user: Well.
    Fanatical Android user: I can customize more.
    Me: That's nice but I have a business to run rather than playing with my smartphone all day.
  • Reply 37 of 247
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    TL;DR It's Intel vs AMD all over again

    Intel: More performance, less power draw, better efficient design
    AMD: MOAR COARS

    With Intel winning either way.

    Now just replace Intel with Apple and Samsung with AMD
  • Reply 38 of 247
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,554member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but why the heck is DED talking about the Exynos version of the Galaxy Note 4 when the U.S. market version is getting the Snapdragon 805?

    At least for U.S. customers, these benchmarks are meaningless.
  • Reply 39 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post





    I don't believe this is an obsession.



    I often see arguments that Android smartphones are "superior" to Apple iPhone with such arguments generally directed toward performance especially Samsung Galaxy smartphones.



    The pro-Android arguments are quite circular, lacking logic:



    Fanatical Android user: You are locked into Apple

    Me: Apple lock-in isn't an issue considering they offer the best products

    Fanatical Android user: Android is faster

    Me: Which smartphone?

    Fanatical Android user: Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8), LG G3

    Me: Oh, really? (Shows Android user multiple websites with performance comparisons)

    Fanatical Android user: That isn't real world performance

    Me: Well, I like the design as well

    Fanatical Android user: Apple does have nice design but HTC has great design too

    Me: I like HTC design but most Android phones don't have that build quality

    Fanatical Android user: You are still locked in

    Me: Not really an issue since I have the best smartphone with the best ecosystem and best customer service

    Fanatical Android user: "Best smartphone" Ha! "Antennagate," "Apple Maps," "Bendghazi" and "Siri"

    Me: Well, The return rate of the iPhone 4 was less than average at 1.7% and "Benghazi" has affected 9 people (give or take) out of 10 million. You sure know a lot about Apple iPhones.

    Fanatical Android user: Yes, I have had a lot of smartphones in the past 3 years.

    Me: Oh?

    Fanatical Android user: Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus

    Me: You couldn't find a single smartphone you like?

    Fanatical Android user: Oh.



    I think AI is pretty close to obsessed with SS, but SS has been a whole lot more obsessed with Apple! Don't believe me? Check the ratio of headlines that have SS in them, and the stories that mention something SS. It's gotta be in the majority.

     

    I like your points, believe it or not I've never had any real discussion about brands until today where a friend went from a iPhone 4 to a SS something to a 5s. 

     

    There might be a good argument about being 'locked in' to iOS when it comes to Apps, but nothing else. All that content from books to movies to music is can be had with apps that are available on just about all phones and desktops. I'm thinking Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Kindle, etc. You could point out that Android users are locked in to that OS. Sure that doesn't lock them into a particular brand but it does mean they can't take their apps to a windows phone or iOS device. You can bet SS (or any phone manufacturer) would LOVE to lock people into their devices like Apple has. Aren't there rumors that SS is going to do that with their own OS? Didn't Amazon do this with the Kindle (I'm asking, I dunno)?

     

    Thanx for your reply MBP.

  • Reply 40 of 247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Infinity Blade.

     

     

     

    Except all are worse. OLED is the past. QD displays are the future.




    QD? I'll have to look that one up!

Sign In or Register to comment.