Samsung Galaxy Note 4 delivers poor graphics performance vs. Apple iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 244
    Tested using iPhone optimized games. Playing iPhone optimized games is not why people buy a note 4.
  • Reply 42 of 244
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

I think AI is pretty close to obsessed with SS, but SS has been a whole lot more obsessed with Apple! Don't believe me? Check the ratio of headlines that have SS in them, and the stories that mention something SS. It's gotta be in the majority.

I like your points, believe it or not I've never had any real discussion about brands until today where a friend went from a iPhone 4 to a SS something to a 5s. 

There might be a good argument about being 'locked in' to iOS when it comes to Apps, but nothing else. All that content from books to movies to music is can be had with apps that are available on just about all phones and desktops. I'm thinking Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Kindle, etc. You could point out that Android users are locked in to that OS. Sure that doesn't lock them into a particular brand but it does mean they can't take their apps to a windows phone or iOS device. You can bet SS (or any phone manufacturer) would LOVE to lock people into their devices like Apple has. Aren't there rumors that SS is going to do that with their own OS? Didn't Amazon do this with the Kindle (I'm asking, I dunno)?

Thanx for your reply MBP.

Amazon uses a forked version of Google Android which is locked into the Amazon walled garden. I think it is very interesting that one of the most most popular brands in the United States is a brand that doesn't contribute to Google instead offering a mature environment similar to Apple. Interestingly, Google is increasingly locking down Google Android devices. In fact, Google Android smartphones with Android 4.1 or higher can be overwritten with "stock" Android.

Samsung does have at least one Operating System - Tizen. Google was reportedly very fearful that Samsung was developing their own ecosystem of services including apps, music, movies, tv shows, maps, personal assistant, etc. (which is not currently mature but definitely could be a competitor eventually). Samsung has launched Samsung Gear devices with Tizen OS.
  • Reply 43 of 244
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Article is amusing, but I do wonder how well the Note 4 will sell. A nice screen, pen/stylus, and possibly less bendable body will suit many who are already on Android.
  • Reply 44 of 244
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

QD? I'll have to look that one up!

I’m of the belief that quantum dot displays will be the next mainstream technology. Apple-related link.

• Reply 45 of 244
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
  • Reply 46 of 244
    I’m of the belief that quantum dot displays will be the next mainstream technology. Apple-related link.

Depends on cost. Most major manufacturers are moving away from OLED for TV's at the moment due to cost concerns.

Personally, I think the reason Apple has the flexible OLED display in the Watch is less about the OLED and more about the flexibility.
  • Reply 47 of 244
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    relic wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sakes, I have no love for Samsung but there isn't a game on the market right now that the Note 4 couldn't play, these graphics chips in the current line of mobiles are going to waste. What exactly does this article prove, it's a business phone for goodness sakes. Once the new line of 64bit chips come and if one happens to be faster then the A8, there is a good chance that a few will be, the same comments I just made about the Note 4 will be said here about the iPhone. This is just a silly pissing contest at this point, the current range of chips are fast enough for pretty much anything that you could possibly through at them.

A 10.5 frame rate makes a game barely playable.

Yesterday I used an S5 to open a pdf file in it's lame version of an iOS app I use, step 1 was to choose to open it in Polaris office which it slowly did, the file was barely usable, wrong size for the screen and barely responding to touch inputs, in the iOS app it opens seamlessly, with smooth navigation and zooming.

Real world consequences, not theoretical excuses.
  • Reply 48 of 244
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    I will say that the Note 4 display on the demo units at best buy are something else. Are they much better than the Plus screen? No, but they are probably the best mobile screen I've ever seen. Bright, black blacks, crazy viewing angles, and sharp even when 6 inches away. More power efficient apparently as well.

I didn't think that tech would ever match LCDs but it has. I really think the iPhone 7 will have an OLED screen.

If you don't 3D game on your phone, it's pretty great. If you do, you'd be better off with a 1080p phone until SOCs catch up.

THat is the point of the article though. Samsung is ramping up screen technology, but it's processors can't keep up ultimately leading to poorer performance.
  • Reply 49 of 244
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    relic wrote: »
    It's really nice isn't it, crisp, beautiful colors but the best display I have seen as of yet has to go too the Samsung S5, at twice the resolution of the iPhone 6 and AMOLED, there is quite nothing like it. Everything else about the phone blows though, I hate that cheap plastic feel, would take an iPhone 6 over it anyday but Samsung knows how to make displays, there is no denying that.

Check an LG quad HD display then, puts Samsung's efforts to shame.

Basically useless as they are well beyond the point where pixels are discernible in everyday use.
  • Reply 50 of 244
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's really nice isn't it, crisp, beautiful colors but the best display I have seen as of yet has to go too the Samsung S5, at twice the resolution of the iPhone 6 and AMOLED, there is quite nothing like it. Everything else about the phone blows though, I hate that cheap plastic feel, would take an iPhone 6 over it anyday but Samsung knows how to make displays, there is no denying that.

I'm not sure where you get off saying the S5 has twice the resolution of the iPhone 6... the iPhone 6 Plus is also 1080x1920 at 5.5".  So while the S5 may have a slightly higher pixel density, there's a point where it's moot especially if the hardware can't support that resolution.

• Reply 51 of 244
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Check an LG quad HD display then, puts Samsung's efforts to shame.

Basically useless as they are well beyond the point where pixels are discernible in everyday use.

The hardware "choices" inherent to Google Android would be far more convincing if Samsung weren't the only company profiting.
  • Reply 52 of 244
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Samsung more or less shoots themselves in the foot with a machine gun when they implement Quad-HD as their display. There's no reason to push 500 PPI and wreck your GPU performance. You're sacrificing usability for marketing and that's too bad. They did this with their Tab S Wifi lineup, I had one for a brief while. The problem was that it was noticeably sluggish, despite having a beautiful display.

One of the reasons why I like Apple is because they don't necessarily play a numbers game with specs. A series processors has always been dual core, never gave into the quad and octa marketing schemes. Their camera has been a perfectly adequate 8 megapixels, not caring about 16 to 40 (lumia) megapixels on other usually inferior cameras. And now with the iPhone Plus they're satisfied with 1080p while competitors will continue to wreck usability to push indistinguishable resolutions.

And of course you'll get legions of android fans gloating that Apple gimps their phones, clearly never using phone themselves. Every single Apple iOS product i've ever owned has performed better than the android counterparts by a significant margin.
  • Reply 53 of 244
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cali wrote: »
    ...but you won't see Apple making a commercial about this.

I tried the iPhone 6 yesterday for the first time. Boy is that screen clear and colors are rich and real. Looks so good it almost looks fake. I guess my eyes have adjusted to low quality screens over time.

I got into serious trouble yesterday at my local Apple Store when, while checking out the superb display quality of the iPhone 6 Plus with the video of the guy riding a bike to demonstrate video stabilisation, I reached in behind him and smacked him on the back of the head.

He never knew what hit him.

What an incredible display.

And don't do that. The staff don't like it.

• Reply 54 of 244
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m of the belief ... Apple-related link.

Just keep in mind that the article is not completely accurate. YAG is not a phosphor but a garnet class crystal. Cerium doped YAG functions as a white light phosphor. When doped with neodymium, YAG is used as a laser crystal capable of operating at high intensities in the IR. The dopant is the key. (NdYAG lasers are used to range to the reflector packages left on the Moon by the Apollo astronauts.) :) 

• Reply 55 of 244
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    And this is even before Metal is implemented in any test, no?
  • Reply 56 of 244
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Personally, I think the reason Apple has the flexible OLED display in the Watch is less about the OLED and more about the flexibility.

Indeed. If Apple had bought into the promise of OLED technology, they’d’ve adopted it many, many years ago.

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

YAG is not a phosphor but a garnet class crystal.

Two things come to mind immediately, but that’s just from being surrounded by pessimism.

First, that a crystal iPhone would be bashed as being even MORE fragile in the media.

Second, that if we hear Apple rumored to be in talks with a certain company in Waterford the EU won’t be very happy.

• Reply 57 of 244

Samesung = Crappy knockoff garbage  

You get what you pay for  

• Reply 58 of 244
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    This article is up in the high end of the curve of interesting and technically impressive articles by DED.
  • Reply 59 of 244
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    jexus wrote: »
    TL;DR It's Intel vs AMD all over again

Intel: More performance, less power draw, better efficient design
    AMD: MOAR COARS

With Intel winning either way.

Now just replace Intel with Apple and Samsung with AMD

I suggest you look into the various anti competitive action related cases that show how Intel kept AMD down
  • Reply 60 of 244
    "...the current range of chips are fast enough for pretty much anything that you could possibly through at them."

Hasn't this been said about every processor advancement since the 1980's?