Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

Comments

• Reply 241 of 418
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I support [@]DroidFTW[/@]'s comments in this matter. It does nothing but wastes the time of those who are not responsible, as well as making Apple users look like assholes for maliciously waisting the time of the retail employees. If you don't value your own time, at least consider that there could be other shoppers who actually need assistance by the retail employe whose time that is being taken up.

I'll say it again, the best way to show a company you don't care for how they do business is to not shop there.

This is his comment that got my attention the most:
    Some of you sure find some interesting ways to spend your free time. I hope Apple pays you for the services you're rendering.

This relates to us being vocally supportive of Apple, and he seems to make fun of this fact. I've read his other jabs at Apple and its user base, and they are similar.
  • Reply 242 of 418
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How stupid do you have to be to name your system ISIS?

I'm guessing they were using that name before the terrorist group just like the girl named Isis that I met last week.
  • Reply 243 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's no more than 15M - 20M ApplePay-enabled devices, max, before the end of this year.

I'm pretty sure we've already hit that number and there is over 2.5 months to go in the year.

Do you really think that Apple has sold 45-50M iPhones globally already?

• Reply 244 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    This is his comment that got my attention the most:
    This relates to us being vocally supportive of Apple, and he seems to make fun of this fact. I've read his other jabs at Apple and its user base, and they are similar.

I see your PoV, but I took that as a reaction to the comments about going into stores that don't use ?Pay to make a statement. I would say, and have said, the same thing when there are comments from Android, Windows and Linux users doing something equatable. I think the idea just comes across as pompous.
  • Reply 245 of 418
    Do you really think that Apple has sold 45-50M iPhones globally already?

Huh? You said 15 to 20 MM, and I'm saying that has happened so far.
  • Reply 246 of 418
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    You know, instead of being behind other 1st world countries like we always are in technology and common sense, you would think the American Government would step their game up and do something right for once. 

It wouldn't be too terribly difficult for congress to step in and say, "companies have six months to replace their current card readers for NFC enabled ones that allow for Apple Pay and Google Wallet services." Any company that gets reported for not having these terminals should face a $500,000 a day fine for not complying with this regulation. Perhaps the loaded companies that act like they're on a lower-class citizen level budget will open up their ears and wallets then. 

God-forbid America should do something right in the wireless world for a change. We already have some of the worst data bandwidth in the world for a country of our income status, we still have CDMA carriers while the rest of the world has GSM, we have stupid laws that allow carriers the choice to keep OUR cell phones locked up after the contract is up for that phone, and we still get ripped off with ridiculous restocking fees, early upgrade fees, activation fees, and other stupid taxes from the government on our phone bill. 

Sometimes I wish I were solely in charge of phone and wireless regulations in this country. 
    the definition of conservative is no progress. Stop voting in republicans and conservative democrats like Obama and Hilary and get some real progressives running the show.
  • Reply 247 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How stupid do you have to be to name your system ISIS?

Since the carriers banned google wallet on their devices in order to push Isis (before Google did a runaround with host card emulation in Kitkat), they probably won't get much sympathy for their PR troubles.

• Reply 248 of 418
    ibeam wrote: »
    I really don't understand how ?Pay works. The credit card info needs to go from my bank to the merchant bank without disclosing the card info. Very mysterious how that can happen without the CC number, name on card, zip code, expiration date and CCV code being sent.

Seems odd that a person who knows a four digit code can buy whatever they want with no driver license check, photo ID or any proof of legitimacy.  
    finger print? Online transactions dont require photo id either and most places dont even check.
  • Reply 249 of 418
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Well, since the mobile payment system ISIS was out long before the terrorist group came around and was even a mainstream media event. You tell me?
    which is probably why Obama called the group ISIL.
  • Reply 250 of 418
    droidftw wrote: »
    Some of you sure find some interesting ways to spend your free time.  I hope Apple pays you for the services you're rendering.
    as a kid that used to happen to me when I tried to use my debit card. I didnt try to do it on purpose. If I had known I wouldnt have shopped there. I had no choice and left angry. Many customers arent keeping track of every vendor that does or doesnt have Apple Pay and this will happen on occasion. They know its coming they need to start preparing now. Apple and the banks need to hire a team of execs to handle tarining and installation of these new systems.
  • Reply 251 of 418
    Guess why I go to Starbucks instead of Peet's for coffee? Because I can leave my wallet at home. You can bet your ass I won't go into a Best Buy or Walmart for the same reason.

I'm sure these Luddite stores would love for their customers to bring their own candles so they could save money on not having to light their stores. Cheap fucks.
  • Reply 252 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Guess why I go to Starbucks instead of Peet's for coffee? Because I can leave my wallet at home. You can bet your ass I won't go into a Best Buy or Walmart for the same reason.

I'm sure these Luddite stores would love for their customers to bring their own candles so they could save money on not having to light their stores. Cheap fucks.

I really don't understand the leave the wallet at home philosophy. I need my wallet for all kinds of things. I never leave home without it. You at least need your driver license and insurance card.

• Reply 253 of 418
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Here is why everyone should use Apple Pay and not even carry a credit card anymore.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/elBWoMXt3WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qYJS-AOKfa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thank for the post. I knew it was easy but i didnt know it was that easy. I am glad every one at home and at work and most of the people around me has iphones But too many android users out there so no chips for me on my cards and as soon as apple pay takes off no more cards for me. I wonder if my bank will be able to send my cards directly to my iphone that would be nice! Eliminate the plastic completely and one more reason to avoid retailers that dont accept apple pay
  • Reply 254 of 418
    There is a significant mismatch with the title of this article and the text.... Here, I've fixed it so they match...

[B][SIZE=5]Major retailers [COLOR=blue]MAY [/COLOR]show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch[/SIZE][/B]
  • Reply 255 of 418
    I really don't understand the leave the wallet at home philosophy. I need my wallet for all kinds of things. I never leave home without it. You at least need your driver license and insurance card.

I do. If I am going to work out I don't want to take my wallet with me but I always take my phone and headphones. Same thing for walking to Starbucks pretty much every morning or just jumping out for a second. My driver's license stays in my car and my state ID is in my wallet, which I might be happy to store in a slim iPhone case if that was my only card.
  • Reply 256 of 418
    There is a significant mismatch with the title of this article and the text.... Here, I've fixed it so they match...

Major retailers MAY show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

I think you can say they are showing an unwillingness based on Walmart and Best Buy's comments along.
  • Reply 257 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do. If I am going to work out I don't want to take my wallet with me but I always take my phone and headphones. Same thing for walking to Starbucks pretty much every morning or just jumping out for a second. My driver's license stays in my car and my state ID is in my wallet, which I might be happy to store in a slim iPhone case if that was my only card.

I understand there are different variables depending on activity, but in a normal home -> office -> lunch -> gas -> dry cleaner -> grocery -> home scenario it just makes sense to carry your wallet.

• Reply 258 of 418
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    ilovestuff wrote: »
    There will be problems with this service when it first starts up, that is guaranteed. Every little bug and tech issue will make the news in big headlines and Google and Samsung will charge to the rescue with teams of internet trolls who will swamp the forums with snarky comments and the typical Apple bashing that we all expect. But in the end, Apple will make it work and the way you pay for your junk will radically change for the better.

I sure hope it wont be that bad at first. I hope they have apple pay a lot better organize and dial pretty good so it can start out as smooth as possible. I have a few friends who are just waiting for apple pay to go wrong to rub it in my face :/ so ill have my fingers cross. Please Steve Jobs help!
  • Reply 259 of 418
    I understand there are different variables depending on activity, but in a normal home -> office -> lunch -> gas -> grocery -> home scenario it just makes sense to carry your wallet.

Sure, no one is saying that we'll stop carrying cards with us tomorrow, but look at how you carry cash these days. Do you always have cash on you? I rarely ever have it on me and I never write checks anymore, either.

Plenty of people still do, but they aren't going to the bank on Friday before they close to get cash out for the weekend or signing up for a check cashing card at their local grocery store so then can write a check to get cash at night or on the weekend like many in the US did up through the 1980s.

This will be an convenience and security option that will give you the freedom to not take your wallet with you when you jump into the grocery store after work. So the question is, why would you also pull your wallet out of the center console to take without into a store when you've been using your iPhone for that purpose without issue? You wouldn't, just like you don't get hundreds or thousands of dollars in cash to take with you because you're afraid the CC machine will not be working. It's always possible, but so infrequent that it would surprise you if it was down.
  • Reply 260 of 418
    idrey wrote: »
    I have a few friends who are just waiting for apple pay to go wrong to rub it in my face :/

Personally, I'd get new friends. I'm not saying that because they aren't in Apple's camp or whatever as I couldn't care less about that, but because they are wanting something to fail so they can "rub it in your face."