Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

Comments

• Reply 261 of 418
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How stupid do you have to be to name your system ISIS?

They, like the dozens of other items using Isis in some variation, were using it long before the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria was formed.

sirlance99 wrote: »

Well, since the mobile payment system ISIS was out long before the terrorist group came around and was even a mainstream media event. You tell me?

I do think that a Greek goddess takes precedence.....;)
  • Reply 262 of 418

Huh? You said 15 to 20 MM, and I'm saying that has happened so far.

Huh? Read what I wrote carefully.

Hint: Is ApplePay a global rollout?
  • Reply 263 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Huh? Read what I wrote carefully.

Hint: Is ApplePay a global rollout?

I don't get what you wrote. I think Apple will have sold over 15 MM iPhone 6 series in the US by the time it goes live.
  • Reply 264 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you always have cash on you? I rarely ever have it on me and I never write checks anymore, either.

Sign on the side of my car might read:

Driver carries cash and lots of it.

I would never leave my wallet in my car.

• Reply 265 of 418
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    It looks like Discover is in talks with Apple already. See http://iphone-beta.appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/10/discover-in-talks-to-join-apple-pay-swift-goes-gm-at-version-10

I too use Discover Card
    Your comments about seard are interesting ...

The credit card I use most is Discover -- minimum 2% cashback on everything, pay balance every month, no charges or fees, 1 month float, releif in case of incorrect/invalid charges ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_Card

Apple Pay is not currently supported by Discover -- though others have posted that they are making noises as if they will support it.

I certainly hope they do!
  • Reply 266 of 418

They, like the dozens of other items using Isis in some variation, were using it long before the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria was formed.

sirlance99 wrote: »

Well, since the mobile payment system ISIS was out long before the terrorist group came around and was even a mainstream media event. You tell me?

I do think that a Greek goddess takes precedence.....;)

Egyptian, actually.
  • Reply 267 of 418
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Personally, I'd get new friends. I'm not saying that because they aren't in Apple's camp or whatever as I couldn't care less about that, but because they are wanting something to fail so they can "rub it in your face."

They are cool, the are just apple hater! And android lovers. I do have a whole army of apple fan on my side so they cant really do much plus i do get pleasure every time we prove them wrong and how helpless they get. But it on every apple event! Which reminds me got to get ready for next week :)
  • Reply 268 of 418
    ibeam wrote: »
    I understand there are different variables depending on activity, but in a normal home -> office -> lunch -> gas -> dry cleaner -> grocery -> home scenario it just makes sense to carry your wallet.

Home: Don't need Wallet
    Office: Don't need Wallet
    Lunch: Panera Bread, Whole Foods, Don't need Wallet
    Gas: Don't need Wallet - takes NFC payments
    Dry Cleaner: Billed monthly to CC, Don't need wallet
    Grocery: Meijer - Takes NFC payments, Don't need wallet

Yep, practically every place I go now already accepts NFC payments. I know because I pay like this every day. Apple Pay will only help make this even easier for me.
  • Reply 269 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Office: Don't need Wallet

Lunch: Panera Bread, Whole Foods, Don't need Wallet

Gas: Don't need Wallet - takes NFC payments

Dry Cleaner: Billed monthly to CC, Don't need wallet

Grocery: Meijer - Takes NFC payments, Don't need wallet

Yep, practically every place I go now already accepts NFC payments. I know because I pay like this every day. Apple Pay will only help make this even easier for me.

Whatever, I don't leave home without my wallet. I also keep a lot of cash on hand in case of emergencies, plus I tip everyone. The gardener and the housekeeper, and the grocery check out bagger, the car wash help, etc. You can be all modern and carry no cash, I'll stick to my ways.

• Reply 270 of 418

I still prefer handing cloth to a guy and getting cloth and metal back to checks and digital payments. I love the idea and implementation of Apple Pay, but it’ll be a while before I feel safe using it.

• Reply 271 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I still prefer handing cloth to a guy and getting cloth and metal back to checks and digital payments. I love the idea and implementation of Apple Pay, but it’ll be a while before I feel safe using it.

You can live in your home town like that but to rent a car, stay in a hotel, fly on an airplane, shop online, you need a credit card.

• Reply 272 of 418

If Apple Pay lives up to what everyone expects than people may favor stores that use this secure and convenient method of payment. No store can afford to lose business because of using a payment method which is not secure . Look what happened to Targets business after their payment system was hacked, they lost millions of dollars of sales and profits.

Watch how fast stores adapt after the launch.

• Reply 273 of 418
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Let's see if they can hold off as long as Docomo did with the iPhone. Apple doesn't care because they know companies are going to have to cave in. How different is it now that Apple is the world's most cashed up tech company as opposed to struggling as a minor player in the 80's and 90's where they got pushed around.

• Reply 274 of 418
    You can live in your home town like that but to rent a car, stay in a hotel, fly on an airplane, shop online, you need a credit card.

Why would those services in the future not be able to use ?Pay but be fine with taking a less secure plastic credit card?
  • Reply 275 of 418

Why would those services in the future not be able to use ?Pay but be fine with taking a less secure plastic credit card?

He’s referring to cash vs. credit card. Apparently I can’t buy a plane ticket with cash anymore.

• Reply 276 of 418
    He’s referring to cash vs. credit card. Apparently I can’t buy a plane ticket with cash anymore.

You can do all those things with cash, even shopping online.

Retailers at B&M stores will take cash (unless that retailer has specifically chosen not to but I don't know of any that have gone that route), even at airports, but airlines are likely to add a booking fee if you do pay with cash.

Online you can just use PayPal and tie it to your bank account without ever being connected to an MC or Visa card. Or, if you want to refer to physical cash, not simply funds from your checking account, you can shop at Craig's List, meet up and pay in cash. Of course that limits your options but it's still possible to shop online.

The only thing that might be a burden with cash is renting a car since you'll likely have to put down a hefty cash deposit for the rental and provide extra identification besides a driver's license, like a bill that proves you live where your license says you live.
  • Reply 277 of 418
    Quote:

You can do all those things with cash, even shopping online.

Retailers at B&M stores will take cash (unless that retailer has specifically chosen not to but I don't know of any that have gone that route), even at airports, but airlines are likely to add a booking fee if you do pay with cash.

Online you can just use PayPal and tie it to your bank account without ever being connected to an MC or Visa card. Or, if you want to refer to physical cash, not simply funds from your checking account, you can shop at Craig's List, meet up and pay in cash. Of course that limits your options but it's still possible to shop online.

The only thing that might be a burden with cash is renting a car since you'll likely have to put down a hefty cash deposit for the rental and provide extra identification besides a driver's license, like a bill that proves you live where your license says you live.

All wrong, You need a credit card to travel, unless you are hitchhiking or on Greyhound.

• Reply 278 of 418
    All wrong, You need a credit card to travel.

You're saying it's literally impossible to use cash to rent a car, cash to get a hotel room, and cash to book a flight? Can you point to any of these laws that say that none of these types of establishments are allowed to accept anything but a credit card?
  • Reply 279 of 418
    Quote:

You're saying it's literally impossible to use cash to rent a car, cash to get a hotel room, and cash to book a flight? Can you point to any of these laws that say that none of these types of establishments are allowed to accept anything but a credit card?

It is well known. Please offer links that disprove it. To my understanding airlines do not accept cash as a security policy

• Reply 280 of 418
    It is well known. Please offer links that disprove it. To my understanding airlines do not accept cash as a security policy

1) It's well known that none of those three types of businesses are allowed to take cash but you can't prove it's true? :rolleyes:

2)