Google to resurrect Bump app as "Copresence," like Apple's AirDrop without privacy

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Yeah ... a MonoBlog ...

GG's been on my block list for years.

He accused me of trolling with that comment too! Irony aside, I thought it was a humane suggestion.
  • Reply 102 of 136
    Cordwainer Smith

I had not known of him till just now, thanks. Interesting bio. So many of my favorite shows he was involved in.
  • Reply 103 of 136
    @digi ...

GoogleGuy is a troll -- and when you quote him in a post, he succeeds -- in spite of those of us have him blocked!

I know I know ... sorry. He is by far the most (fill in your own definition) one on AI these days. It all goes back to wish that if someone on your ignore list gets quoted you don't see that either. How hard could that be for the system?
  • Reply 104 of 136

E plebnista ...

Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn ...

Omega Glory ... another one I'd forgotten. I'm going to have to do the entire SOT again on Netflix.
  • Reply 105 of 136
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

Thanks.
  • Reply 106 of 136
    cpsro wrote: »
    No need. There's 9to5Google.com.
    If you stop to listen, you'll hear the crickets chirping.

Haha ... OMG that is funny. I had to wait a while to hear one too! There is the perfect place for GG to write his speeches and let us Apple folks chat about what we love without annoyances. He could be a folk here there.
  • Reply 107 of 136
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    GoogleGuy is a troll -- and when you quote him in a post, he succeeds -- in spite of those of us have him blocked!

1) It's hard to see how someone is a troll when they no t only write well but also back up their positions. Are we calling those with alternative views trolls now? I would prefer to use that term to define those that purposely try to jack a thread with juvenile and superficial commentary.

2) Purposely making a pejorative out of a username, not matter how slight, is a personal attack. If you disagree with his positions on a subject then attack it. I certainly do, and I know can easily hold your own in a debate so I see no reason for any of use not to use GatorGuy or the abbreviated GG.
  • Reply 108 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Be sure to read this additional Stratechery article while you're there. He's a long time Mac user who holds to the same view I've posted here on several occasions: Google Android was meant as a buttress against Microsoft, and still serves to ensure no single player dominates mobile like MS did the desktop. It was NOT intended as a Google attack on Apple.
    http://stratechery.com/2013/the-android-detour/

You are distorting his narrative. Android was originally aimed at Microsoft, yes, but he then goes on to say that the aim was "pivoted" to target Apple after the iPhone appeared.

You know what Vic Gundotra said at his declaration of was at an earlier Google I/O conference. That "one company" they are defending us against is Apple.

You will not be rewriting history here without opposition. .
  • Reply 109 of 136
    I know I know ... sorry. He is by far the most (fill in your own definition) one on AI these days. It all goes back to wish that if someone on your ignore list gets quoted you don't see that either. How hard could that be for the system?

I've only read a bit into the front of the thread, and the way I see it, you're doing a good job that someone needs to do. I'm just getting started on a bit of outrage here. He's trying to float two lies already, one being that Apple is no longer the underdog—how can that be when it is the target of Android, "the world's most popular mobile OS," (which he says, lie no. 2, is not targeted at Apple), and Apple is also the target of subversion by paid, orchestrated troll campaigns like the one he is part of. More speculation on that in a little while. This is serious and needs dealing with, as you are doing.
  • Reply 110 of 136
    "Google acquired Android in 2005 as a defense against Windows Mobile dominating smartphones just as Windows dominated PCs. When the iPhone arrived in 2007, Google quickly pivoted Android to defuse the new threat. And they were hugely successful."

I have no argument with the first part of your reading of that article. That 2007 pivot is where I and many Apple folks have the problem not least of those of that opinion was Steve.

There. Better than I said it. Touché.
  • Reply 111 of 136
    Yeah, but Carlin knows all the words to ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay ...

Apologies to Buffalo Bob!

Speaking of Buffalo Bob, what was your impression of Clarabel, what was his name, Bob Keeshan, Capt. Kangaroo? I can't Google him right now, and maybe I dare not. I liked the guy, but now I'm thinking he was one reason we all didn't follow the John Wayne version of masculinity, if you get my drift.

Right now Tom Ashbrook of "On Point"—good NPR/WBUR talk show—is about to do an hour on Tim Cook's coming out statement. Must listen.
  • Reply 112 of 136
    flaneur wrote: »
    Yeah, but Carlin knows all the words to ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay ...

Apologies to Buffalo Bob!

Speaking of Buffalo Bob, what was your impression of Clarabel, what was his name, Bob Keeshan, Capt. Kangaroo? I can't Google him right now, and maybe I dare not. I liked the guy, but now I'm thinking he was one reason we all didn't follow the John Wayne version of masculinity, if you get my drift.

Right now Tom Ashbrook of "On Point"—good NPR/WBUR talk show—is about to do an hour on Tim Cook's coming out statement. Must listen.

I liked the Captain ... but Mr Greenjeans was my favorite ...

WOT:

I was acting as executor on my parent's estate -- for 50+ years, they had lived in Pasadena about 3 blocks away from where the Rose Parade ends and the Floats were parked for several days.

On New Year's day, my parents always had a full house, entertaining ... People would come to the house in the morning and watch the start of the parade [about 5 miles away] on TV -- later, when the Parade progressed, they'd walk down and watch it again, live.

I worked on the rose Parade floats and even drove a float one year. After the Parade, I would go to the parents house with a truckload of leftover flowers -- lots of exotics, ginger, vanda orchids ... Every vessel that could hold water: sink, bathtub, laundry tub, bowls, vases, kiddy inflatable pool -- was filled with flowers ... Many special blooms, like long-stem roses, had been placed in individual vials/test tubes containing water ... Needless to say. the ladies all loved it and each left with her own float decorating flower arrangement kit ... Good Times!

As a tribute to my parents, and to help family select personal mementos and estate items, I threw a Final 2003 Rose Parade Party. Family from all over attended -- with kids from 4 - 70 years old.

Later, everyone walked the 2 blocks to see the parade pass by ...

To the children's delight, Mr. Rodgers was the Grand Marshal of the Parade -- and received cheers & applause from all ...

Sadly, Mr. Rodgers died a month later ...

• Reply 113 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    You are distorting his narrative. Android was originally aimed at Microsoft, yes, but he then goes on to say that the aim was "pivoted" to target Apple after the iPhone appeared.

You know what Vic Gundotra said at his declaration of was at an earlier Google I/O conference. That "one company" they are defending us against is Apple.

You will not be rewriting history here without opposition. .

Self preservation was why Google made Android. They didn't target anyone. They were simply insuring that they weren't anyone's target.

It's easy to say that Google could've had a fruitful partnership with Apple some 7 years later, what if Apple wasn't successful in the mobile realm? What if Apple decided it wanted the revenue Google was making off its users? There were just too many 'ifs' for Google to ignore.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    .......by losing iOS users, which is where the real money is. One report said that Google lost 85% of Maps traffic from iOS after Apple Maps launched.

Where was the real money back in 2007? Who's to say that Apple wouldn't have made their own maps if Google had remained loyal to them. You're making a lot of assumptions that Google didn't have the luxury to make.
  • Reply 115 of 136
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Where was the real money back in 2007? Who's to say that Apple wouldn't have made their own maps if Google had remained loyal to them. You're making a lot of assumptions that Google didn't have the luxury to make.

True but whose fault was it to not update Maps to be on par with Android Maps? Google forced the issue.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    jungmark wrote: »
    True but whose fault was it to not update Maps to be on par with Android Maps? Google forced the issue.

Was the app not written by Apple, so how does Google update a app it didn't make?
  • Reply 117 of 136
    Was the app not written by Apple, so how does Google update a app it didn't make?

The front end was written by Apple but Googs supplied the data. Turn by turn navigation, etc should have been given but Googs wanted more user data. So to keep from falling behind Android, Apple sped up development of a replacement.
  • Reply 118 of 136
    jungmark wrote: »
    The front end was written by Apple but Googs supplied the data. Turn by turn navigation, etc should have been given but Googs wanted more user data. So to keep from falling behind Android, Apple sped up development of a replacement.

So in other words Apple wanted something for nothing, and you're surprised at how that turned out?
  • Reply 119 of 136
    So in other words Apple wanted something for nothing, and you're surprised at how that turned out?

Haha. I suppose you forgot Apple paid for Google Maps data to begin with.
  • Reply 120 of 136

More like Apple wanted something without selling its soul to the devil, i.e., Google's ad-whoring-with-its-users machine. Who says they might not have offered to pay money for the function instead?