iPhone 6 outselling iPhone 6 Plus by 3-to-1 margin in US - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) I think that would look pretty slick, especially how it's so seamless now compared to the plastic(?) rimmed glass of the iPhone 4/4S.

2) If you go into a carrier store and play with the other smartphones after using an iPhone 6 series you may notice how comparatively primitive they feel with that small metal or plastic lip where the top glass meets the case. I had never noticed it before. Note: This isn't a slam against non-iPhones as this is the same for all previous iPhone's too. Funny how your perception can change so quickly when it comes to the state-of-the-art technology. The iPhone 5 at 4" feels so tiny now, which is what is probably a reason why many users of flagship Android-based devices couldn't go back.

The chamfered edge on the iPads looks dated now as well. I'm hoping the Air 3 has curved glass, it'd be a nice change for the form factor.

• Reply 82 of 201
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Wallets and phones belong in front pockets. That's why there's two of them.

I haven't actually held an iPhone 6+ in my hands yet, but I'm pretty sure that there's no way in hell that that thing would ever fit in any of my front pockets, and I'm not a midget either.

• Reply 83 of 201
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that the whole huge sized phone trend these past years has been driven by dirt poor people who are looking to save some pesos by getting some sort of tablet and phone in one device, aka those damn phablets!

I'm sure that's correct.  A "phablet" is at the base of the pyramid of need along side food, clothes, and shelter right?  That's why Sub-Saharan African (and the "global south" in general) is such a huge market for Apple products.

• Reply 84 of 201
    I am not sure how the current supply is. I do know the first 30 days it was very tough to get a 6 while the 6 was readily available. I personally love the 6 as I look at spreadsheets and pdf files more than I would like to on a phone so it works nice. Games and movies are pretty sweet as well...I do understand where many of you are coming from liking the smaller form factor though. No sure what my point is to all of this but there you go.
  • Reply 85 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I'm sure that's correct.  A "phablet" is at the base of the pyramid of need along side food, clothes, and shelter right?  That's why Sub-Saharan African (and the "global south" in general) is such a huge market for Apple products.

You haven't disproved my statement either, and sub-Saharan Africa has no relevance to the discussion, as I am clearly referring to cheapskates in the western world.

Sub-Saharan-Africa should never be able to afford Apple products, because then Apple is clearly doing something wrong. 

• Reply 86 of 201
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Apple is going to make serious extra coin with 25% sales being the Plus and the 64GB carrot for both models.
  • Reply 87 of 201
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I think that the whole huge sized phone trend these past years has been driven by dirt poor people who are looking to save some pesos by getting some sort of tablet and phone in one device, aka those damn phablets!

I don't think the price level of those devices supports your position. The most phablety of the phablets, the Galaxy Note, is more expensive than even the flagship, Brobdingnagian of the Android-based smartphones, and included a Wacom digitizer, something I wish Apple would include to their iOS-based iDevices.
  • Reply 88 of 201
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,554member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Then your reason to buy iPhone 6 was NFC/Apple Pay then. Oh...there's no Apple Pay in UK yet, so what then? Same screen resolution, a little thinner than 5S which you (and most people) don't care, a little faster (20%, you can't tell the difference with normal usage)....I guess it's just the form factor then...oh, no...people said the form looked ugly too with these antenna bands....so WHAT is your reason to pay extra $100 over 5S to get 6?
    Well, my iphone 4s was getting a little long in the tooth. I replace my phone every 3 years, if I bought the 5s I'd probably need to replace it in two years as it'll likely struggle with iOS 10.

So all in all it works out more financially viable to pay the extra $100 now.

As I will keep this device for 3 years getting the new iphone 6 that has features that will be used in the UK makes a lot of sense.

So, despite the inflection of your reply, I'm not a mindless troll who just wants to knock Apples latest & greatest.

It's s fantastic device, I simply wish they'd offered a 4" version.
  • Reply 89 of 201
    Quote:

...compared to the plastic(?) rimmed glass of the iPhone 4/4S.

[pulls 4S out of its case, inspects]

Nope.  No plastic on mine (that I can see, anyway).  And the glass isn't rimmed by anything except the (in)famous steel band.

• Reply 90 of 201
    Quote:

I don't think the price level of those devices supports your position. The most phablety of the phablets, the Galaxy Note, is more expensive than even the flagship, Brobdingnagian of the Android-based smartphones, and included a Wacom digitizer, something I wish Apple would include to their iOS-based iDevices.

Yes, most phablets in general costs more than smaller sized phones, but buying a phablet is still significantly cheaper than buying both a good phone and a good tablet.

iPhone 6+ (64 GB) = $850

That's a bit cheaper than buying both an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 for example. $750 (64 GB iPhone 6) + $599 (64 GB iPad Air 2) = $1349

• Reply 91 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I put keys in my back pocket. But only when I'm standing, I don't sit on them (who wants to pay $60 a key?). Wallets and phones belong in front pockets. That's why there's two of them.

There are so many elements of this that make no sense to me.  What key costs $60 and would break if you sat on it?  Why put anything in your pockets "only when you're standing"?  What do you do with your keys if you, say, go to a movie?

Obviously God intended us to carry wallets in our back pockets (or breast pocket when wearing a jacket) and keys in front pockets.  But yes we agree on where phones belong.  Maybe our critical, life-altering difference of opinion understanding of the objective truth is because I'm left handed.

• Reply 92 of 201
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    [pulls 4S out of its case, inspects]

Nope.  No plastic on mine (that I can see, anyway).  And the glass isn't rimmed by anything except the (in)famous steel band.

I'm pretty sure there is a thin rim around the glass, but it looks like it's metal in this video.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 93 of 201
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Obviously God intended us to carry wallets in our back pockets...

If God had intended us to carry our wallets in our back pockets, why did he give us natural padding there?!

• Reply 94 of 201
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    If Apple offered the performance features of a 6/6 in a 5s form factor, I'd move back to the smaller size. For me (even with big hands) the iP6 is a big too big; especially once you add an Otterbox or similar protective case.
  • Reply 95 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You haven't disproved my statement either, and sub-Saharan Africa has no relevance to the discussion, as I am clearly referring to cheapskates in the western world.

Sub-Saharan-Africa should never be able to afford Apple products, because then Apple is clearly doing something wrong.

Ah, I missed where you defined "dirt poor people who are looking to save pesos" as western world cheapskates.  And I was really just making fun of your colorful language in the light of being a "first world problem."

• Reply 96 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If God had intended us to carry our wallets in our back pockets, why did he give us natural padding there?!

But that's the evidence that He did intend that.  Without padding a wallet would be noticable.

• Reply 97 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

If Apple offered the performance features of a 6/6 in a 5s form factor, I'd move back to the smaller size. For me (even with big hands) the iP6 is a big too big; especially once you add an Otterbox or similar protective case.

I hope Apple does offer that, but I'm doubtful.  They have a serious SKU aversion (Apple Phone exception notwithstanding).

• Reply 98 of 201
    apple ][ wrote: »

Yes, most phablets in general costs more than smaller sized phones, but buying a phablet is still significantly cheaper than buying both a good phone and a good tablet.

iPhone 6+ (64 GB) = $850

That's a bit cheaper than buying both an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 for example. $750 (64 GB iPhone 6) + $599 (64 GB iPad Air 2) = $1349

In all fairness, your concept of good excluded anything that includes Android so there is no scenario in your mind where one could have both a flagship Android-based smartphone and tablet. Also, you shouldn't compare it to Apple, but the cost of a flagship, non-phablet Android-based smartphone and Android-based tablet. The cost isn't really much more for that combination, since most Android-based tablets tried to go 7"16:9 which was much cheaper than the then only 10" 4:3 iPad. Finally, there are lot of people, myself included that were never heavy iPad users that are now enjoying the size compromise by being able to get rid of the iPad for the few tasks it was used for in favour of a single device. Does that mean we're a bunch of "dirt poor people who are looking to save pesos"?

PS: You just had to add the pesos comment to make it more than just socio-economics. :no:
  • Reply 99 of 201

I got a plus over a month ago and my wife a 6. She likes the six - but is myopic so font size isn't an issue for her. she was also happy with the 5 before, but she is envious of the plus's big screen.

For me I'm not a big guy but the plus fits well enough in my front pocket (I carry it all the time and even when sitting for long periods). The one-handed usability is poorly designed (the buttons and CM of the phone don't support it), but I use it two handed and it's fine. Overall I absolutely love the phone and screen and would never ever go smaller again - when I sold my old 5 and looked how tiny it is I can't believed I used to use it!

My recommendation - if you are on the fence - get the plus - there is no going back - after a month you will be sold.

I think this stat is solely because apple made more 6s and it's such a large mental jump for existing iPhone users - after supply catches up I would guess 50/50 or 60/40 in favor of the plus. I think in another year that will go to 70/30. Small phones are history - big phones have become socially acceptable and the large screen is so nice and handy - they are continue to going to grow in market percentage.

• Reply 100 of 201
    Quote:

In all fairness, your concept of good excluded anything that includes Android so there is no scenario in your mind where one could have both a flagship Android-based smartphone and tablet. Also, you shouldn't compare it to Apple, but the cost of a flagship, non-phablet Android-based smartphone and Android-based tablet. The cost isn't really much more for that combination, since most Android-based tablets tried to go 7"16:9 which was much cheaper than the then only 10" 4:3 iPad. Finally, there are lot of people, myself included that were never heavy iPad users that are now enjoying the size compromise by being able to get rid of the iPad for the few tasks it was used for in favour of a single device. Does that mean we're a bunch of "dirt poor people who are looking to save pesos"?

PS: You just had to add the pesos comment to make it more than just socio-economics. image

You're absolutely correct that my concept of good excludes anything that involves both Android phones and tablets.

As for 7" Android tablets, I don't really see the point in those, because in that situation, it would definitely make more sense just to get a 6" phone-phablet, which is practically just as big.

And I'm not saying that whatever I write applies to all people, but I believe that it explains the thinking of quite a few people.

As for the pesos comment, believe it or not, I was not making any sort of statement with that. Malax was correct, I was just using colorful language, which I am known to do.