iPhone 6 outselling iPhone 6 Plus by 3-to-1 margin in US - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

When the iPhones came out I went down to the Apple store to buy the 6. I wanted to check 'em out before buying. I always thought phablets were too big. As soon as I held the 6 and then picked up the 6 Plus, I knew I would regret not getting the 6 Plus if I went with my original plan. The Plus didn't feel too large at all, it fit fine in my pocket, it had a better camera, it was easier for me to see text. So I changed my mind to the 6 Plus. Problem was there weren't any in stock. Well, I waited 4 weeks to finally get the 6 Plus. I'm the most patient person in the world and I was agony waiting for it. Plus my webOS phone I switched from was literally on its last legs. Just think of all those people that came for the 6 Plus and settled for the 6 instead of waiting 3-4 weeks. I bet Apple will be consistently selling the 6 Plus all throughout 2015 and beyond with the production rate so slow. Of course in a year it will be the 6 Plus S.

Hey, WebOS! It's too bad HP got their hooks in it, it had potential. I went from a PalmPre 2 to my iPhone 4, then from the 4 to a 6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, I don't think a comparison can be made, simply because Apple and their direct competitors are held to different standards. CR data shows that the iPhone 6 Plus is quite resistant to being bent in normal use, far more rigid than the HTC One m8, yet bendgate is about the iPhone, not the HTC. I don't think anyone denies the CR data, they just don't seem to care that the m8 is so bendy. Given this kind of systemic lopsided application of standards, Apple can never, ever impress the diehard "Android flagship" device fans. A lot of people don't make rational choices, they choose subconsciously, then try to defend their choice after the fact. Hence "HTC bendgate" never materialized.

Wouldn't people have had to actually buy an HTC phone first? Last I saw they had 0% share of the mobile industry profits...

• Reply 122 of 201
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I look forward to buying a 3.5"-4.5" iPhone 6s next year.

Yes, its so obvious what's going to happen.

The iPhone 5S will be transplanted into the 5c plastic case and offered as the free phone. The 5S will be replaced by a NEW 4", 6 "mini" without the updates the 6S will receive (just like the 5/5C last year), and sell for $99 in the same configurations as the 6S. Then the new 4.7" 6S for $199 with all the new bells and whistles. And the 6 Plus will basically stay the same at $299.

Can't wait to get my 6 mini and replace my 5S and get Apple Pay.

• Reply 123 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that the whole huge sized phone trend these past years has been driven by dirt poor people who are looking to save some pesos by getting some sort of tablet and phone in one device, aka those damn phablets! 

When a phone becomes so big that you can't really carry it around comfortably in your regular pockets, then it's too damn big! If you need to put your phone in a bag or backpack, then it's no longer a damn phone! 

I still think that a small sized iPhone and a large sized iPad is a way better combo than any phablet. 

I wouldn't mind if Apple came out with an iPhone Mini next year!

Exactly.

The whole advantage of the iPhone is cramming a lot of functionality into a very small space; mobility is everything. It’s not what I use when I want to do something for any length of time; that honour goes to the iPad, or sometimes iMac if I'm at home. The iPhone truly comes into its own when on the move and you can easily whip it out and use it with one hand. It’s a very specific use-case, whereas the iPad is much more comprehensive.

To put it another way: if I'm standing or walking, it'll be the iPhone. If I'm sitting it'll be the iPad or the iMac.

• Reply 124 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:

I think that the whole huge sized phone trend these past years has been driven by dirt poor people who are looking to save some pesos by getting some sort of tablet and phone in one device, aka those damn phablets!

I'm sure that's correct.  A "phablet" is at the base of the pyramid of need along side food, clothes, and shelter right?  That's why Sub-Saharan African (and the "global south" in general) is such a huge market for Apple products.

Africa is much poorer than Asia. Asia is, nonetheless, much poorer than Europe and North America; hence, the mistaken desire to combine a tablet with a phone in an attempt to save money.

• Reply 125 of 201
    apple ][ wrote: »

When a phone becomes so big that you can't really carry it around comfortably in your regular pockets, then it's too damn big! If you need to put your phone in a bag or backpack, then it's no longer a damn phone! 

I still think that a small sized iPhone and a large sized iPad is a way better combo than any phablet. 

I wouldn't mind if Apple came out with an iPhone Mini next year!
    Co-sign. Give me an iPhone mini and an iPad Pro. The iPhone 6 Plus is a poor excuse for a phone and an even poorer excuse for a tablet.
  • Reply 126 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Apple is going to make serious extra coin with 25% sales being the Plus and the 64GB carrot for both models.

Only if a significant number buy the 128GB Plus. The lower models are equivalent to the 5s 64GB and 5s 32GB. I suspect that fewer will buy the 128GB model than bought the 64GB 5s last year. But overall, there is a good possibility that the ASP will increase healthily.

• Reply 127 of 201
    Here is my prediction:

iPhone 6s Plus 5.5" A9
    iPhone 6s 4.7" A9
    iPhone 6c 4" A8
    iPhone 5s 4" A7

This will satisfy a lot of people who likes 4" form factor. Both A7 and A8 is still very powerful. 6c plastic profile should be thinner though. Maybe 8mm
  • Reply 128 of 201
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

I haven't actually held an iPhone 6+ in my hands yet, but I'm pretty sure that there's no way in hell that that thing would ever fit in any of my front pockets, and I'm not a midget either.

Yeah? Here is an example of tight fit Jeans size 31 with iPhone 6+ in front pocket in sitting position in front of computer all day long. Need not to say more.

• Reply 129 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I

'Im trying to figure out how the 6 missed your investigation.

6 is okay for one hand use, but it's no longer my priority. My wife had 6 and I don't see the value for upgrading to 6 from my 5S, so I go for 6+.

• Reply 130 of 201
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I've finally seen the 6Plus and I'm sorry but it's just horrible! Its size makes it horrible.
    And the plastic bands on both models feel cheap.
    Just like the camera.
    Worst iPhone model ever imo.

And I totally agree with Apple II, huge phone exist only to please people who can't afford a tablet and will never realize how great a tablet experience is.

Oh and to everyone who uses a 6Plus : you look like idiots when placing a call.
  • Reply 131 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The iPhone 5S will be transplanted into the 5c plastic case and offered as the free phone. The 5S will be replaced by a NEW 4", 6 "mini" without the updates the 6S will receive (just like the 5/5C last year), and sell for $99 in the same configurations as the 6S. Then the new 4.7" 6S for $199 with all the new bells and whistles. And the 6 Plus will basically stay the same at $299.

Is that in your dream because it doesn't make sense for logistics next year for the price scheme?

5S to 5C = free?

4" 6 = $99 where is current 4.7" 6 placed, discontinued? none sense.

current 6+ = $199 discontinue?

4.7" 6S = $199

6+ = $299? So what is the current 6+ place in next year line up, discontinued? Hell no.

Scrub the line up above because it's disaster. 

It makes more sense in this case:

No more 5C.

5S = Free

6 = $99

6S = $199, 6+ = $199: they could rebadge 6+ into 6C just like they did with 5->5C.

6+S = $299 (they can still call it 6+ if the 2014 6+ -> 6C)

• Reply 132 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I've finally seen the 6Plus and I'm sorry but it's just horrible! Its size makes it horrible.

And the plastic bands on both models feel cheap.

Just like the camera.

Worst iPhone model ever imo.

And I totally agree with Apple II, huge phone exist only to please people who can't afford a tablet and will never realize how great a tablet experience is.

I own 2 iPads and both 6 and 6+. I love them all. What is your point? BTW, phone calls only take 10% usage nowadays and for me it's 5% or less. I have my headset on to listen to music and take call at the same time...

BTW, please make some sense because the phone is more expensive than a damn tablet.

and last but not least, you're horrible troll.

• Reply 133 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I dunno.  I see the 5s migrating to 'free'[$400 unsubbed]  in the current form (cheaper than a new engineering run to get the touchID into a plastic case... for a 'free' phone), a 6'c' coming in (your mini) in plastic at $99 (an iPhone 6 in plastic), and then the 6s and 6s+  (I think they will drive performance parity for the 'tock' phase of upgrades).

When you get to the iPhone 7, thats when all design bets are off.

Back to the original premise.

I do think the 6+ will evolve to be 1/3 (from 3:1 to 2:1) ratio of sales (and it will be growing the 6plus market, not devouring the '6' market).   Every month contracts allow for 1/24th of the phones to be upgraded for free, and i think 'more' larger phones will start selling in months 6-24 (hence my feeling they will 'tock' the 6+ to maintain feature competitiveness with the android large phone market), as the 'early adopters' of large android phones upgrade.   Between that and the supply back pressure, I think these early months are constrained.  

• Reply 134 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I look forward to buying a 3.5"-4.5" iPhone 6s next year.

The design of the iPhone 6s will be identical to the 6. So it'll be 4.7".

The design of the 5s was identical to the 5, the 4s was identical to the 4 and the 3GS was identical to the 3G.

• Reply 135 of 201
    If I recall there where some numbers published around launch date which showed a roughly 3-1 manufacturing rate for 6 vs 6 .

So this would appear to confirm that they are selling all of the 6 's they are building and could perhaps sell a few more if they built a few more.
  • Reply 136 of 201
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I haven't actually held an iPhone 6+ in my hands yet, but I'm pretty sure that there's no way in hell that that thing would ever fit in any of my front pockets, and I'm not a midget either.
    I have been using ip6+ since launch and it goes in my front jeans pocket easily

Don't be concerned it fits fine
  • Reply 137 of 201
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Africa is much poorer than Asia. Asia is, nonetheless, much poorer than Europe and North America; hence, the mistaken desire to combine a tablet with a phone in an attempt to save money.

Mr lost you outdid yourself with an even more moronic post . Congrats
  • Reply 138 of 201
    clemynx wrote: »

It's no worse than rollin' chrome 30s on the Escalade wrapped in 35 series white walls.
  • Reply 139 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I dunno.  I see the 5s migrating to 'free'[$400 unsubbed]  in the current form (cheaper than a new engineering run to get the touchID into a plastic case... for a 'free' phone), a 6'c' coming in (your mini) in plastic at $99 (an iPhone 6 in plastic), and then the 6s and 6s+  (I think they will drive performance parity for the 'tock' phase of upgrades).

When you get to the iPhone 7, thats when all design bets are off.

Back to the original premise.

I do think the 6+ will evolve to be 1/3 (from 3:1 to 2:1) ratio of sales (and it will be growing the 6plus market, not devouring the '6' market).   Every month contracts allow for 1/24th of the phones to be upgraded for free, and i think 'more' larger phones will start selling in months 6-24 (hence my feeling they will 'tock' the 6+ to maintain feature competitiveness with the android large phone market), as the 'early adopters' of large android phones upgrade.   Between that and the supply back pressure, I think these early months are constrained.  

You guys just don't get it a mini iPhone 6 (4") will never happen. Apple would not spend resource to design a new form for iPhone 6 which will not drive more sales at mid tier ($99). The only way they do 6C is rebadging the existing designs either iPhone 6 or 6+.

5S will not be 5C for sure and will be at $0. 6 may become 6C at $99 OR 6+ to 6C at $199 (more possibility here), then 6S at $199 and 6+S at $299. Apple will need to have a good logistic at $99-$199 mid-tiers somehow to drive more sales there depending on this year sale figures based on screen sizes. If more demands for 5.5" version this year, we may see a rebadge 6+ into 6C next year. Otherwise, 6 will become 6C. Also possible that Apple may just kill the current 6+ next year for the New 6+ (or 6+S assumed).

I can see either 1x 4" (5S), 2x 4.7" (6S, 6C) and 1x 5.5" (6+S) OR 1x 4" (5S), 2x 4.7" (6 and 6S) and 2x 5.5" (6+C, 6+S) versions next year.

• Reply 140 of 201
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's no worse than rollin' chrome 30s on the Escalade wrapped in 35 series white walls.

That's way too technical for me :)